Toenail fungus or onychomycosis is a fungus that infects the nails. The fungus can infect both fingernails and toenails. However, the toenails are more likely to be infected than fingernails because the fungus gets an appropriate environment to grow in toe only. If you too experience toenail fungus then don’t worry, we have got some amazing remedies for you to get rid of onychomycosis. Keep reading to know more about toenail fungus and remedies to treat toenail fungus.
Causes of Toenail Fungus:
- Poor foot hygiene
- Injury in nail
- Athlete’s foot
- Abnormal pH of the skin.
- Weak blood circulation in the toe.
- Wearing artificial nail.
- Weak immune system.
- Swimming in public pool.
- Moist fingers and toes for long period.
- Wearing synthetic socks for long time.
- Wearing tight fitting shoes for a long period.
Symptoms of Toenail Fungus
- Loss of nail
- Thick nail
- Brittle nail
- Crack or cut in the nail.
- Smelly infected nail
- Inflammation, swelling and pain in the toenail.
- Yellow or pale color of a nail.
Remedies to Treat Toenail Fungus:
- Remedies to Treat Toenail Fungus:
- 1.) Corn Meal to Treat Toenail Fungus
- 2.) Orange Oil to Treat Toenail Fungus
- 3.) Tea Tree Oil to Treat Toenail Fungus
- 4.) Extracts of Olive Leaves to Treat Toenail Fungus
- 5.) Coconut Oil to Treat Toenail Fungus
- 6.) Probiotics to Treat Toenail Fungus
- 7.) Borax with Baking Soda to Treat Toenail Fungus
- 8.) Oregano Oil to Treat Toenail Fungus
- 9.) Apple Cider Vinegar to Treat Toenail Fungus
- 10.) Lavender Oil to Treat Toenail Fungus
- 11.) Tea Tree Oil to Treat Toenail Fungus
- 12.) Vick’s Vapo Rub to Cure Toenail fungus
1.) Corn Meal to Treat Toenail Fungus
Cornmeal is one of the best remedies for toenail fungus. It hosts a type of fungus, which do not harm humans but is harmful to the parasite, which gives a way to infection among people.
- In a bucket mix cornmeal and water. Let the corn soak in the water.
- Then relief your infected foot in the bucket for 30-40 minutes.
- Follow this remedy regularly do get fungus-free toe.
2.) Orange Oil to Treat Toenail Fungus
Orange oil is anti fungal oil which can be used to cure toenail fungus. People with sensitive skin may find it too strong. In such case, it’s batter to mix a carrier oil in it, to make it dilute and less strong. Moreover, many people are allergic to citrus so to avoid the allergy, so take a patch test before on a clean skin before applying on the infected foot. The same remedy can be used to treat ingrown toenails.
- Apply orange oil on toe and nail with the help of a dropper.
- Leave it for an hour, until the toe absorbs the oil properly.
- Then wash your toe with clean water.
- Repeat this 2-3 times a day for encouraging results.
3.) Tea Tree Oil to Treat Toenail Fungus
Tea tree oil is antiseptic, therefore, it can be also used to get rid of toenail fungus and torn toenail as well. This oil is also a bit strong so you can mix an equal amount of water into it and then apply it on the infected foot. Or you can also add an equal amount of olive or almond oil in the tea tree oil. The carrier oil will moisturize the affected skin.
- Clean the infected skin with alcohol, then apply tea tree oil on the affected part.
- Leave the affected part for 8-10 minutes until it soaks the oil.
- Then with the help of soft bristle toothbrush scrub the infected part.
- Repeat this remedy daily for a fungus-free toenail.
4.) Extracts of Olive Leaves to Treat Toenail Fungus
Another medicine to treat toenail fungus is olive leaf extract. It antibacterial and anti-viral thus it can help you to get rid of toenail fungus. The supplements are powerful detoxifiers so initially consume less doze. If the supplements does not cause any discomfort then later you can increase the dosage. However, to treat the condition, one supplement per day is enough.
5.) Coconut Oil to Treat Toenail Fungus
A component known as caprylic acid is present in the coconut oil. It is one of the medium chain fatty acids which penetrates into the cell wall of fungi, which gives way to fungus. The oil dissolves the fungus and kills the infection.
- With the help of cotton ball apply a thin layer of the coconut oil on the infected toenail.
- Let the infected skin absorb the oil.
- Since coconut oil is advantageous for skin and health so you can apply it anytime and even n number of time also.
6.) Probiotics to Treat Toenail Fungus
The lack of balance between microflora in the body can also be one of the prime cause of toenail fungus. To make the balance between microflora, probiotics comes handy. The gut bacteria present in the probiotics does not let the fungus grow. Moreover, a component known as lactobacillus found in probiotics secrets a byproduct which destroy the fungus. However, make sure the probiotics are sugar-free and does not contain artificial fillers otherwise instead of treating the toenail fungus they will feed on the unwanted fungus.
7.) Borax with Baking Soda to Treat Toenail Fungus
The fungus grows in the acidic environment, whereas baking soda is alkaline in nature thus it can be used to treat toenail fungus. On the other hand sodium borate also known as borax is a powerful fungicide. The combination of these two ingredients is deadly for the toenail fungus.
- In a bowl mix an equal amount of baking soda and sodium borate.
- Add a few drops of water to the mixture to make a thick paste.
- Wash your infected toenail and gently rub the paste on the affected part.
- Follow this remedy 2 times a day until the fungus vanishes completely.
8.) Oregano Oil to Treat Toenail Fungus
Another remedy which can help you to treat toenail fungus is oregano oil. Since it has anti-fungal properties, therefore, it is one of the best remedies to get rid of the toenail fungus.
- Mix a few drops of oregano oil with coconut or olive oil.
- Apply this mixture on the infected area.
- Let the skin absorb the oil completely.
- Then apply oregano oil 2-3 times a day for best results.
9.) Apple Cider Vinegar to Treat Toenail Fungus
How can we forget the king of health and skin remedies, apple cider vinegar. To cure the infection, you can add it to the food or directly apply it on the infected area along with Epsom salt.
- Fill a half bucket with warm water, add one part of both Epsom salt and ACV in the water.
- Let the water cool. But, make sure the water is not cold otherwise it won’t be of any use.
- Soak your feet in the water for 30 minutes. It will relax your body, treats the leg pain and heal the infection as well.
- Alternatively, in a glass of water add a tablespoon of ACV. For sweetness add 1 tablespoon of honey in it and drink the beverage.
10.) Lavender Oil to Treat Toenail Fungus
Last but not least, you can also use lavender oil to prevent the toenail infection. The antibacterial property of the lavender oil heals the infection.
- Clean the infected toenail and then apply few drops of lavender oil on it.
- To avoid the rubbing cover the infected part with socks. However, avoid wearing socks with synthetic fiber as it will aggravate the condition.
- Follow this remedy every night before hitting the sack.
- You can continue the oil even if the infection is treated because it will keep the fungus at bay for future and keep your skin moisturize.
11.) Tea Tree Oil to Treat Toenail Fungus
Tea tree oil has anti-bacterial, fungicidal properties. Moreover, it is a natural disinfectant. You can use a combination of tea tree and orange oil.
- In a small bowl mix a teaspoon of tea tree oil, orange oil or grapeseed oil.
- With a help of cotton ball apply this combination of oils on the infected area.
- Cover it with a gauze.
12.) Vick’s Vapo Rub to Cure Toenail fungus
Another remedy for toenail fungus is Vick’s Vaporub. It is the same balm that you apply to get relief from cold.
- Clean the infected part. Pat it dry, then apply Vick’s Vaporub.
- Wear your socks and leave it on for a few hours.