This article is about natural treatment for pink eyes. Commonly known as conjunctivitis, pink eyes is a common eye infection. This condition is caused due to a bacterial infection. The person feels inflammation, itching, redness and watery eyes. Sometimes it affects one eye and sometimes both the eyes are infected. Since it is contagious so make sure that you restrict your contact with others during the infection. And, if you have to do then wear goggles. Below we have listed some of the remedies that can be used for treatment for pink eyes. Use these remedies regularly to treat conjunctivitis. However, if the infection does not subside in a few days then do consult your doctor.
Symptoms of Penk Eyes:
- Itching in the eyes
- Watery eyes
- Inflammation in the eyes
- Redness in the eyes
- The sensation of burning in the eyes.
- White or green discharge from the eyes.
- Dryness on the eyelashes.
Causes of Pink Eyes:
- A bacteria are known as gonorrhea or Chlamydia
- Allergens like dust, pollution, pollen or etc
- Irritants such as smoke chlorinated water, dirt and shampoos etc
Remedies for Pink Eyes:
1.) Cold or Warm Compresses to Treat Pink Eyes
Both the compresses, cold and hot are beneficial when it comes to treating pink eyes. The cold compress treats the swelling and itching which is quite common during allergic conjunctivitis. On the other hand, warm compress also comes handy for soothing the eyes. Both the compress helps to prevent the discharge which occurs due to dryness on the eyelashes.
How to Apply Cold or Warm Compress?
- Dip a washcloth in hot or cold water, wring out the excess water and place it over your eye.
- Leave the wet cloth on the infected eye for a few minutes then change the cloth.
- Repeat this 3-4 times a day until the symptoms of pink eyes subside.
- P.S- Do not apply same cloth on both the eyes.
2.) Saline Solution to Get Rid of Pink Eyes
Saline solution is another natural remedy to treat pink eyes also known as conjunctivitis. It is a natural disinfectant. It is one of the best treatment for pink eyes. All you have to do is:
How to Treat Pink Eyes with Saline Solution?
- Boil one of a cup of distilled water, adds 1 teaspoon to it. Let it boil for a few seconds.
- Then leave it at room temperature to cool.
- Use this water to wash your eyes.
- Do this many times a day.
- Alternatively, in a cup of water mix a teaspoon of sea salt.
- With the help of the eyedropper, put this solution on the ends of the eyes.
- Repeat this 2-3 times a day to cure the pink eyes.
3.) Boric Acid to Cure Pink Eyes
Another home remedy that you can use to treat conjunctivitis is boric acid. It cures all the symptoms of pink eyes i.e dryness, redness, a burning sensation and watery eyes. All thanks to its antifungal and antibacterial properties for this. In addition, it cleanses your eyes as well. To apply boric acid in following ways:
How to Apply boric acid to Cure Pink Eyes?
- Boil a cup of water, mix 1 teaspoon of boric acid in it.
- Use this solution to clean your eyes.
- You can also apply it on the infected eyes with the help of a washcloth or a cotton swab.
- After a while wash your eyes with slightly warm water.
- Use this solution to wash your eyes many times daily to cure pink eyes. It is also one of the best treatment for pink eyes.
4.) Eyebright to Heal Pink Eye
Another remedy that can be used for treatment for pink eyes is eyes bright. It is also known as Euphrasia Officinalis. This herb helps you to get rid of conjunctivitis, stye, weeping eyes and strained eyes. It has antibacterial and astringent properties that come handy for treating eye infections.
How to Prevent Pink Eye with Eyebright?
- Heat a cup of water. Let it boil then leave it to cool at room temperature.
- Mix a few drops of eyebright tincture in it. Use this solution to wash your eyes.
- Alternatively, boil a cup of water and add a teaspoon of this herb in it. Leave it for 8-10 minutes.
- Then let it cool and at last use this solution to clean your eyes.
- Do any of the above remedies several times a day until the problem is completely solved.
5.) Black Tea to Cure Pink Eyes
It is one of the best natural remedies to treat pink eyes. It has tannins that cure the symptoms of conjunctivitis that are inflammation and itching. It also contains bioflavonoids that inhibit the bacterial and viral infection.
How to Use Black Tea as Treatment for Pink Eyes?
- Place a moist, cooled tea bags on your eyes. Leave it for 8-10 minutes. Repeat this several times a day to get rid of the pink eyes.
- Alternatively, you can place chamomile or green tea bags on your infected eyes.
- Or, you can use cooled black tea to clean your eyes.
- Do this regularly to cure pink eyes and make sure that you do not touch your infected eyes.
6.) Calendula as a Treatment for Pink Eyes
You can also use calendula to treat pink eyes. This herb contains antibacterial and antiviral properties. All these properties come handy for treating the symptoms of conjunctivitis. In addition, it will also soothe your eyes since it is anti-inflammatory.
How to Use Calendula to Get Rid of Pink Eyes?
- Boil a cup of water. Then add calendula flowers in it. Cover the container and let it steep.
- Leave it to cool at the room temperature. Strain the solution.
- Use this solution to wash your eyes.
- Wash your eyes with this solution many times a day.
- Alternatively, you can soak a washcloth in it and use it as a hot compress to treat pink eyes.
7.) Breast Milk to Cure Pink Eyes
Yes, you read it right. It’s breast milk. According to a recent study, it has been found that applying breast milk on the infected eyes is the best treatment for pink eyes. It has healing properties and certain antibodies which help to cure eye infection mainly conjunctivitis. It is a boon for babies with pink eyes.
How to Apply Breast Milk to Prevent Pink Eyes?
- Apply a few drops of breast milk on the infected eye.
- Do this several times a day to get rid of pink eyes.
8.) Apple Cider Vinegar to Heal Pink Eyes
You can also use ACV to cure pink eyes or conjunctivitis. It contains antibacterial properties that combat with the infections that lead to pink eyes. However, use it with caution. It might hurt your eyes. If your baby has pink eye then avoid this remedy.
How to Use ACV to Prevent Pink Eyes?
- In a cup of filtered water mix 2 tbsp of ACV.
- Soak a cotton ball in this solution.
- Close your infected eyes and wipe it off with the cotton ball.
- Do this several times until the conjunctivitis subsidies.
9.) Honey and Milk to Get Rid of Pink Eyes
A mixture of honey and milk is considered as one of the best treatment for pink eyes. Milk calms the irritation. Honey has antibacterial properties that help to inhibit the virus that causes conjunctivitis. To apply this mixture.
How to Apply Honey and Milk to Treat Pink Eyes?
- Boil a tablespoon of whole milk.
- Leave it to cool at room temperature. When it is slightly warm add a tablespoon of organic honey to it. Mix both the ingredients thoroughly.
- Pour this mixture in the eyedropper and put in your infected eyes.
- It will sting for a few seconds so don’t worry.
- Do this 3-4 times a day.
- Alternatively, you can apply this mixture in warm compress also.
10.) Aloe-Vera to Treat Pink Eyes
How can we forget the king of all the home remedies i.e Aloe-Vera? It contains antibiotic and astringent properties that combat with the infection.
How to Cure Pink Eyes with Aloe-Vera?
- Boil a cup of water. Leave it to cool at room temperature.
- Then add Aloe-Vera gel in the water. Leave it until it turns pale green
- Apply a few drops of this solution on your infected eyes. Yo can also use this solution to wash your eyes.
- Do any of the above remedies many times a day for treatment for pink eyes.