Sometimes the hearing becomes muffled, but the good news is that it nothing to do with your actual hearing ability. It is basically due to clogged ears. It is referred as a blockage in the ear canal. There are various good ways to unclog ears, some top ways are described in this article. They will help you unplug ears. The common factors that lead to a clogged ears are wax buildup, air flow constriction to the Eustachian tubes, and cold and sinus problems. Clogged ears can affect everyone irrespective of age group. However, it is quite common among small children, especially when they have colds.
Common Causes for Plugged Ear:
The common triggers of plugged ears are:
- Blocked nose
- Ear wax
- Sinus infection
- Changes in atmospheric pressure while travelling to other places.
- Accumulation of water in the ear.
- Blockage of the Eustachian tubes.
Symptoms of Plugged Ear:
Following symptoms are the common symptoms seen when your ears get clogged.
- Difficulty in hearing.
- Ringing sound in the ears.
- A severe earache.
- Itching in the ear.
- Bleeding or discharge from the affected ears.
- Dizziness or loss of balance.
Ways to Unclog Ears:
- Ways to Unclog Ears:
- 1.) Valsalva Maneuver to Unclog Ears
- 2.) Alcohol and Vinegar to Unclog Ears
- 3.) Water Flush to Unclog Ears
- 4.) Wax Softening Solution to Unclog Ears
- 5.) Steam to Unclog Ears to Unclog Ears
- 6.) Olive Oil to Unclog Ears
- 7.) Warm Compress to Unclog Ears
- 8.) Yawning to Unclog Ears
- 9.) Gargling to Unclog Ears
- 10.) Chewing Gum to Unclog Ears
1.) Valsalva Maneuver to Unclog Ears
You can easily get unclog ears by performing the Valsalva maneuver correctly. It is quite effective in relieving the stuffiness and pain in the ear. You have to pinch your nostrils with fingers and close your mouth, then take good deep breaths. To maintain air pressure you should blow air out of your nose. If you do every step correctly, you will hear a mild popping sound that means the Eustachian tubes are now open again. Please make sure that you do not blow the nose too hard as it can cause damage to the ear drum.
2.) Alcohol and Vinegar to Unclog Ears
The combination of alcohol apple cider vinegar can be used to kill bacteria of any kind causing clogged ears. Mix equal parts of apple cider vinegar and alcohol. While lying down on your side put few drop of the solution in the affected ear using a dropper. To prevent the solution to spill out from the ear, you should use a cotton ball in the ear. Leave the solution in the ear for five minutes without raising the head to allow it work effectively. Remove the earwax with an ear bud. If the other ear is also clogged, repeat the process with the other ear. Remove the earwax using an ear bud. If your other ear is also clogged then repeat this process with the other ear. The alcohol and apple cider vinegar are truly helpful to get rid of clogged ears.
3.) Water Flush to Unclog Ears
Water flush is very effective way to unclog the ears effectively and quickly. To use it for clogged ear, you need an ear syringe filled with lukewarm water. Make sure that water in the syringe is not hot, but only lukewarm as it may lead to a further problem.
- Tilt your head with the affected ear facing up, and then pull the ear lobe gently to open the canal.
- Position the syringe aiming more towards the back of your head rather positioning it straight.
- You should not position the syringe inside the ear canal facing straight the ear drum as syringe pressure can harm the ear drums significantly.
- Lightly squeeze the syringe to eject the water into the ear canal.
- Some wax may start to dislodge immediately.
- Wait for about five minutes to give the warm water and enough time to soften the ear wax.
- Tilt the head in the other direction to allow the water to drain out.
- If you are facing clogged ear problem in both ears then simply repeat the steps in exactly same manner.
4.) Wax Softening Solution to Unclog Ears
You should not attempt this if you have an ear infection, as safety should be your first priority. Mix a few drop of baby oil and glycerin in a small bowl of hot water. Mix an equal part of hydrogen peroxide in the solution. Lie down on an even surface and pour a little amount of this wax softening solution in the affected ear. You will hear a sound of bubbles, after pouring the mixture into your clogged ear. Once the sound stop popping, it is the time to drain out the wax softening solution. You can also repeat this process for only three times a day. Do not try this more than three times a day because hydrogen peroxide can harm the eardrums.
5.) Steam to Unclog Ears to Unclog Ears
Inhaling steam is one of the easiest ways to unclog ears resulting from a cold. The steam can help you by making mucus thin and loose, as a consequence of, which you get relief from clogged ears. It also helps by loosening earwax causing clogging. Put some steaming water in a container. Add a few drops of lavender or tea tree essential oil to the water. Cover your head using any towel and then simply inhale the steam until clogged ear fully opens up. Alternatively, taking a hot shower for ten minutes will help you relieve the clogged ears.
6.) Olive Oil to Unclog Ears
The excess build-up wax inside the ears is responsible for causing clogged ears. Olive oil is one of the brilliant home remedies to get rid of clogged ears. It will help you by softening the ear wax so, that you can easily remove it. Lukewarm some olive oil in a small bowl. Make sure you do not allow oil to get too hot. Using a clean dropper put few drops of olive oil in the clogged ear. Let it settled down and soften the wax by leaving it for ten minutes. Now, using ear buds remove the oil by tilting the head sideways. Do this process very carefully to avoid any damage of delicate organ. Olive oil can be replaced by other oils also like baby oil or mineral oil.
7.) Warm Compress to Unclog Ears
A warm compress is a natural treatment to unclog ears associated with colds or sinus congestion. Soak a clean washcloth in warm water, strain out the excess water. Hold the soaked washcloth over the affected ear for five minutes. This will help you by easing the pain and also promote fluid drainage.
8.) Yawning to Unclog Ears
Yawning is one of the simplest ways to deal with clogged ears. The act of yawning reduces the air pressure in the ear. It helps by activating the muscles that open the Eustachian tubes of the ear. You should keep on attempting yawn until you feel a soft pop sound inside the air. Repeat if the first yawn did not give much relief or until you start hearing the pop sound more clearly.
9.) Gargling to Unclog Ears
Gargling with a hot water and salt solution can be really helpful in unclogging the ears. It also eases the nasal congestion that might contribute to the problem of clogged ear. Gargle with salt mixed in hot water for 30 seconds and spit out. Repeat the process until you get the desired relief.
10.) Chewing Gum to Unclog Ears
Chewing gum to unclog ear is a easy as well as innovative method. If clogged ears are triggered by a sudden change in air pressure, then chewing gum could be very effective. This will open up your Eustachian tubes by relieving the excess pressure in the ears.
Precautions to Prevent Plugged Ears:
Some best preventive measures for plugged ears are given below:
- Clean your ears every day.
- Always use distilled water to unplug the outer ear.
- Avoid swimming or diving in water, if you have a respiratory cold or infection.
- Soon after taking a bath, dry your ear with a soft clean cloth or paper towel.
- Don’t go for ear candling as there is no proof of its effectiveness. You might end up burn or otherwise damage your ear.
- Using Q-tip to unclog ears is not recommended. It can further push wax back, and can causes serious damage to your ear and your hearing.
- Never dig too far, as it can cause severe damage to your eardrum and possibly make you permanently hard-of-hearing.
- Our eardrum is sensitive, and quite prone to irritation. So, you should only unclog your ears when it is absolutely necessary.