In this article we will discuss different methods to fall asleep fast and naturally. Many people find it difficult to sleep on time. They keep lying in the hope that they will get sleep in next 5 minutes, half hour, 1 hour, but instead they end up tossing and turning whole night. This thing is not only frustrating but also harmful for the health. Tossing and turning in the bed is much more harmful and useless as well. It is very irritating and frustrating and can cause stress. Instead of lying in the hope of falling asleep, it’s better to get up and indulge yourself in some fruitful activity. It will help reduce the stress and within some time, you will start feeling sleepy. If this problem is not looked after at an earlier stage, then it might lead to further mental and physical issues. Below, we have mentioned different ways to fall asleep fast and naturally. These remedies are easy and effective to use. Before that let us know some of the causes responsible for lack of sleep.
Cause for Lack for Sleep:
- Lack of physical activities.
- Obesity or overweight
- Overdose of caffeine
- Drug addiction
Ways to Fall Asleep Fast & Naturally:
- Ways to Fall Asleep Fast & Naturally:
- 1.) Fix a Time to Fall Asleep Fast and Naturally
- 2.) Bath to Fall Asleep Naturally and Instantly
- 3.) Milk to Fall Asleep When You Can’t
- 4.) 4-7-8 Method to Fall Asleep Instantly
- 5.) Herbal Tea to Fall Asleep When You Can’t
- 6.) Avoid Caffeine to Fall Asleep Fast
- 7.) Avoid Smoking to Fall Asleep Fast
- 8.) Exercise to Fall Asleep Fast
- 9.) Yoga to Fall Asleep Fast and Naturally
- 10.) Acupressure to Fall Asleep Fast
1.) Fix a Time to Fall Asleep Fast and Naturally
The first and the most important thing to fall asleep is sleeping at the same time every night. Fix a routine for yourself and follow it daily. Fixing a time for your sleep will let your body work well. Our body is way smarter than we know. When you sleep at the same time regularly, your mind command the body to work according to it. It actually knows beforehand how to adjust and serve you best. But, if there is no time fixed and you try to sleep at different times every night, your body gets confused and in result, it keeps you awake all night. You can follow the steps mentioned below in order to sleep timely.
- Wrap up your household work before your sleeping time.
- Have your dinner 2-3 hours before sleeping to avoid indigestion.
- Avoid watching TV when it’s time to sleep.
- Avoid using cell phone on your bed.
2.) Bath to Fall Asleep Naturally and Instantly
Taking a bath before bedtime can be very helpful to fall asleep faster. As taking a warm shower will increase your body temperature, then your body gets cool in the low temperature of the room. This helps relax and soothe your body a lot.
- Take a bath with warm water, it will help you relax.
- Avoid cold water as it will irritate your body temperature and can keep you awake late night.
3.) Milk to Fall Asleep When You Can’t
Milk is one of the oldest and very effective methods to fall asleep. Milk and other dairy products contain an amino acid known as tryptophan. Tryptophan is made up of protein, which promotes sleep when it enters the brain. Eating carbohydrates and protein in a same meal makes tryptophan to be easily available to the brain. So, having milk along with carbohydrate rich food promotes sleep. You can try below listed combos of protein and carbs to fall asleep faster and easier.
- A glass of chocolate milk with some apple slices.
- Banana and peanut butter.
- Granola topping on yogurt with fruit.
- Milk and whole grain cereal with fruit.
4.) 4-7-8 Method to Fall Asleep Instantly
4-7-8 method need no introduction for its effectiveness to make you fall asleep. It claims to make you fall asleep within a minute. This method helps you to relax by raising the oxygen intake in your body and releasing the carbon dioxide from your lungs. Below are the steps listed:
Steps to Perform 4-7-8 Method:
- Keep your tongue touching the tissue behind your upper teeth throughout the exercise.
- Exhale out completely and strongly through the mouth.
- Close your mouth after exhaling and now inhale through your nose counting to 4 in mind.
- Hold your breath till the count of 7.
- Now, exhale again completely through your mouth as done earlier, but to a count of 8.
- Repeat the process for 3 more times to complete a cycle of 4.
5.) Herbal Tea to Fall Asleep When You Can’t
Like milk, herbal tea is another perfect drink to make you fall asleep easier and faster. Many of the herbal tea are made up of same compounds that are used in supplements to promote sleep. Camomile and valerian tea are 2 examples of tea, which help relaxing your body and help you to fall asleep naturally. Both these teas are in use from ancient time to treat insomnia and nervousness. You can easily buy these herbal teas from your local supermarket.
6.) Avoid Caffeine to Fall Asleep Fast
Caffeine is one of the most popular drug in the world. It can be easily found in tea, coffee, cocoa, chocolate, soft drinks, etc. Caffeine is useful as a stimulant to keep you alert. It can be very helpful if you want to stay awake all night. Most people drink coffee or tea in the morning after waking up. Moderate intake of caffeinated drink is not harmful. However, if you have sleeping problem, you must avoid caffeine completely, especially during the latter half of the day (evening and night). Instead, switch to milk or herbal tea, which promotes sleep. Green tea can be a nice substitute, but go for caffeine free green tea.
7.) Avoid Smoking to Fall Asleep Fast
As caffeine, nicotine is another drug which also works as a stimulant to keep you alert by increasing heart beat rate. Smoking may seem to be quite relaxing and soothing, but actually it is not. Smoking affects you the same way caffeinated drinks do and even worse. Plus, as you know smoking is an addiction, so when you sleep for hours without a cigarette, it results in sleep disturbance too.
- Avoid smoking late at night to avoid unnecessary alertness.
- Instead, have a cup of milk or herbal tea to suppress the smoking addiction.
8.) Exercise to Fall Asleep Fast
Including a mild exercise to your daily routine is very helpful to fall asleep better and easier. Studies show that people who exercise regularly have a better quality sleep than those who do not work out at all. Other than improved sleeping, it also helps in other health benefits such as:
- Keeps you active all day long.
- Better immunity
- Reduces stress
- Improves overall health.
- Uplifts mood
9.) Yoga to Fall Asleep Fast and Naturally
Like exercise, regular practicing yoga helps to make you sleep better. Yoga is considered to cure various ailments, including sleeping disorder like insomnia. Yoga helps in reducing stress, which in result, relaxes your body and help making you sleep easier. Include some yoga stretches in your routine for a healthy lifestyle. Cat stretch, child pose, butterfly poses and forward bend are some of the yoga stretches you can try.
10.) Acupressure to Fall Asleep Fast
Instead of opting for supplements for sleeping better. Give a try to acupressure technique by pressuring the points mentioned below:
- In between your eyebrows, right above the nose. Apply gentle pressure there for a minute.
- On top of the foot, between first and second toe.
- Sole of your foot.
- Also, massaging your ears for a minute can help you to fall asleep easier and better.