In this article we will discuss different home remedies for allergies. Allergies includes many different conditions. These are mainly caused due to the susceptibility of the immune system in the body. This susceptibility or sensitivity of the immune system to a substance in the surrounding environment causes allergic reaction. Such substance include food, dust, pollen, smell, etc. The substance to which one is allergic are known as an “allergen”. The majority of people are not affected by allergen as most of the allergen are not dangerous. Allergies are very common these days. Around 20% of North Americans are allergic to pollen only. Also, according to a medical report, around 9% children in America have some kind food allergy. Although, foreign-born children living in the USA are less prone to allergies. But longer they live, more prone they are to become allergic. The allergies can be mild to severe and may need one to visit a doctor in severe cases. For mild condition, you can try some of the below listed home remedies for allergies. You can use these home remedies to ease the symptoms of serious allergies as well.
Before moving on to home remedies for allergies, let us know the causes to prevent yourself from the allergies in the first stage only.
Causes of Allergies
- Dust mites
- Food allergy
- Animal dander
- Grass and pollens
Factors Responsible for Allergies in a Child
- Pets in the house
- Living in a house with smokers.
- Using antibiotic
- Exposure to house dust.
Symptoms of Allergies:
- Itchiness in eyes
- Nose irritation
- Runny or stuffy nose
- Watery eyes
- Puffy eyes
- Itchy skin
- Rashes, red skin and peeling of skin.
- Swollen lips
- Shortness of breath
- Swelling of the face or throat.
- Skin irritation and itchiness.
Home Remedies for Allergies Treatment:
1.) Peppermint Essential Oil as a Remedy for Allergies
Fresh, strong and minty aroma of peppermint works very efficiently in treating allergic reactions. It is more powerful in treating allergies causing respiratory or digestion issues. Peppermint oil is known for its anti-inflammatory, pain-relieving, cooling, and soothing properties. It helps to improve breathing, and give relief from indigestion. Here is the method to use it.
- Apply 1-2 drops peppermint essential on the lower portion of your neck.
- To treat sinus congestion, mix 1-2 drops of peppermint essential oil in a vegetable oil.
- Apply this mixture around your nostril.
- You can massage it on your chest also.
- Simply mix 2-3 drops of peppermint essential oil in a vegetable oil. Massage with it.
- Try for a small patch test if you have a sensitive skin.
2.) Apple Cider Vinegar as a Remedy for Allergies
Apple cider vinegar or ACV is a very old yet an effective remedy for treating allergies. It offers a variety of effective health benefits. Most of them you must have heard already. Apple cider vinegar has curative properties. ACV helps to reduce the mucus formation and cleanses the secretion passage which makes it useful for allergies. Here is the method to use apple cider vinegar for allergies.
- Take 1 tsp of apple cider vinegar and mix it with 1 glass of water.
- Drink this solution 2-3 times a day daily.
- This will help in relieving from allergy symptoms and prevent you from allergic attack as well.
3.) Raw Honey as a Remedy for Pollen Allergies
Raw honey is one of the best homemade remedies for allergies. It is known for its variety of health benefits. Bee transfers pollen from flowers to the honey. So, when you consume this raw honey every day, you somehow become resistant to allergy caused by pollen. Although it is not medically proven, but it had worked for many people.
- Take 1 tsp of honey and mix it in one glass of warm water.
- Drink it 2-3 times every day.
- You can also eat honey directly instead of mixing it with water.
- Make it a part of your routine diet for other health benefits as well.
4.) Neti Pot Saline Rinse as a Remedy for Treating Allergies
Neti pot filled with saline solution is also one of the most effective home remedies for allergies. It is especially effective for nasal allergies like dust allergy. The saline solution helps to flush out the sinuses of allergens or irritants. Here is the method to use it.
- Take 1 tsp of sea salt and mix it with 1/4th glass of boiled water.
- Let it cool completely.
- After it gets cool, fill this saline water in the neti pot.
- Gently pour this solution in one nostril carefully.
- let it drain out from the other nostril.
- You can use pre-made saline water as well.
- You can also easily buy it from a nearby medical store.
5.) Lavender Essential Oil to Get Rid of Allergies Naturally
Another oil, which is also among the best home remedies for allergies is lavender essential oil. Laveneder oil is known to have natural antihistamine and anti-inflammatory properties. It helps to treat most allergic reactions. It is great for treating rashes and headaches. It not only treat your allergic reaction but also helps in relaxing and calming the body and mind. Plus it has a pleasant smell which relaxes your smelling sense.
- Add 1 drop of Lavender essential oil to your cheeks, forehead or wherever you need to soothe allergic reaction.
- Before sleeping add a few drops of this essential oil to the sole of your feet.
- Try a small patch test for a sensitive skin.
- If you have sensitivity to lavender oil, dilute it with jojoba oil or coconut oil.
- For rashes dilute lavender oil with any vegetable oil and rub it on the concerned area thrice a day.
- Lavender oil is also one of the best home remedies for skin allergies.
6.) Nettle Leaf as a Remedy for Allergies
Another natural antihistamine which can be very useful in treating allergies is nettle leaf. It naturally prevent the body from producing histamine. It is easily available in the market. It can be used as a tea or tincture. For making an herbal tea, follow below listed steps.
- Take a few nettle leaves and peppermint leaves.
- Boil them in 1 cup of water.
- Strain and drink it.
- Instead of peppermint, you can go for red raspberry.
- Instead of making tea you can buy capsules made from dried nettle leaf. It is the easiest and more effective option to cure allergies.
7.) Peppermint Tea as a Remedy for Allergies
From ages tea has provided relief from clogged up noses and irritated mucous membranes. And for allergy sufferers, tea is one of the best home remedies to trust on. For this, peppermint tea is a perfect remedy. Not just because of its minty aroma but also for its anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial and decongestant properties.
- Take 5-10 peppermint leaves and boil it in 1 glass of water.
- Steep it for a few minutes.
- Drink this tea 2 to 3 times a day.
- You can even inhale the steam for added benefits.
8.) Dehumidifier to Get Rid of Allergies
Dust mites love humid environment as it helps them to multiply and survive easily. These dust mites can be responsible for your respiratory allergies. Using dehumidifier will prevent allergens from thriving and multiplying. It will help in removing the excess moisture from the air. This in turn help keep the home environment fresh and healthy.
9.) Citrus Drinks as a Natural Remedy for Allergies Treatment
Citrus fruits and juices are rich in Vitamin C which helps to provide relief from seasonal allergies. Vitamin C helps to nourish and boost your immune system to fight allergies. Take sufficient oranges to extract 1 glass of juice. Below is the method to do it.
- Add 1 tsp of lemon juice to it along with a few ice cubes.
- Drink it 2 times daily to improve the immunity.
- Add honey to it for added benefits.
- Vitamin C rich foods are also among the best home remedies for allergies.
10.) Onion as a Remedy for Allergies Treatment
Onion is also one of the best home remedies for allergies. There is a friendly compound present in the onion known as quercetin. Quercetin helps treat allergies very effectively. This compound helps to reduce the production of histamine in the body. This anti-histamine properties of onion helps in reducing the symptoms of allergies. It also acts as an anti-inflammatory agent. Plus, it helps in clearing nasal passage which makes breathing easier.