In this article, we will discuss, home remedies for ants. Ants are the biggest enemy of your cookies, sweets, and food. There is no doubt that ants can cause severe problems, not only to food items but also to your property. To get rid of ants, rocket science is not required, home remedies for ants are helpful and sufficient. We might not notice them, but ants are around us and are capable of adopting any habitat. Ants seem to appear in a group, but they live in colonies. The household stuff is enough to invade the ant army marching into your home.
Ants could be of different types depending upon their habitat and health risk. Not all types of ants cause any major problem to health but, they only contaminate the food we eat. To completely eradicate ants from your home, is not a work overnight. Instead, it will take your time and efforts. Along with this, you will also have to try different types of remedies. Keep on trying until you won’t see any ant out there in your home and kitchen.
Home Remedies for Ants:
Below there are some home remedies for ants. This is to make sure that the ants will never bother you in the future. In case after some period of time they again appear, as they generally do, they will not last long.
1.) Do not Kill Ants
Killing ants are not the long-term solution to the problem as they live in colonies. They will reappear after sometimes.
- Sprinkle poison on the areas where ants are frequently found. After getting affected by the poison, they will carry it to their colonies. The result of which every ant would die soon.
- But make sure you do not squish or kill them, by applying this method you can only kill a few of them. Remember that ants live in colonies and their numbers may vary from hundreds or thousands.
- Eliminating their entire colonies is the best way to actually get rid of ants.
2.) Line the Stuffs with Salt, Coffee, Chalk or Baking Powder
- According to practical experience, it has been noticed that ants do not cross the barriers made up of salt, coffee, chalk or baking powder.
- Make lines of above mentioned material around the food items that you want to isolate from the attack of ants.
- In case, if you are able to find the source of their appearance or the colony, then it’s very useful to spread it around. This will prevent their further infestation.
3.) Vinegar Based Traps
- Vinegar is one of the most effective remedies for ants. Spot the region where the ants are most active in your kitchen, once you have spotted the regions then just wipe the trail with vinegar.
- Now, next time the ants will not be able to retrace their path. This method will surely prevent your food being damaged by ants.
4.) Don’t Let Ants to Get Inside
- Seal every crack or holes in the structure with cement or Plaster of Paris.
- Ants make their nest or whole colonies in the crack of windows or doors.
- Tape the cracks with adhesive and don’t leave any opening for the ants.
5.) Boric Acid to Get Rid of Ants
- Boric Acid can be used to get rid of ants. It is also safe to use and clear ants naturally.
- Boric Acid is specifically harmful to animals. Boric acid is one of the best remedies for ants.
- It is recommended that you do not use this if you have pets because it can harm them.
6.) Keep Home and Kitchen Clean
- The Ants always search for food, which tempts them to enter your home and kitchen.
- The smell of the food crumbs left on the counter top or on floor attracts them.
- Be sure that you do not leave any food crumbs anywhere in your home, like on the computer table, study table, floor, counter top, etc.
- If these areas remain clean and tidy then this will definitely reduce the ant population in your home.
7.) Essential Oils to Get Rid of Ants
- Essential oils will really help you to remove ants from your home, as ants hate the smell of essential oils.
- There are many essential oils out there in the stores. You can choose any of them as per your suitability for this remedy.
- Make a sprayer by adding 10-15 drops of essential oils in one cup of water. Spray it on the area where you find the ants.
- You can also directly use the oils by putting it on a cotton ball and placing them on the areas invaded by the ants.
8.) Wheat to Get Rid of Ants
- Prepare cream of wheat in a pan. Put it in the areas where ants can easily find it.
- Ants cannot have the capability to digest cream of wheat, as a result, they will surely die.
- Cream eaten by ants expands in their stomach, resulting in their death.
9.) Petroleum Jelly to Get Rid of Ants
- Petroleum jelly can be used to seal the entry points through which ants get in.
- Put jelly on the doors and each and every crack of windows.
- Look for any hole in the structure like floor, ceiling and walls, put petroleum jelly to block the openings.
- It is sticky in nature, ants cannot cross this sticky substance and will eventually die.
10.) Camphor Oil to Get Rid of Ants
- Using camphor oil, you can make homemade ant killer without any extra cost. Camphor oil is one of the best remedies for ants.
- Take diluted alcohol and camphor oil in the ratio 9:1 in a bowl to make mixture or solution.
- Pour this solution on the ant nest in order to kill them completely.
11.) Fragrant to Keep Ants Away
- Studies show that ants hate the scent. Particularly fragrance of peppermint, garlic and camphor.
- Find out ants common entrance points in your home.
- Put some crushed mint on the entry points. Alternatively, crushed garlic and cloves also help you to eradicate ants.
- You can also grow lavender or mint plants in your backyards. The fragrance of theses plants will keep ants out of your home.
12.) Oranges to Get Rid of Ants
- Take powdered orange peels and add it to 1 cup of warm water.
- Thoroughly mix the peels in water by stirring it with the spoon.
- Pour this mixer on to the ant nest or an area where they have made their nest.
- The mixer will surely kill all ants with the added advantage of eradicating their colonies.
13.) Ant Balls to Prevent Ants Infestation
If the above methods do not work as per your expectation then it’s time to bust out the ant balls. The cotton balls act as an extra barrier to keep the ants outside of the home. Use undiluted essential oil to clear off all the ants from the house. Do not put the balls where you think a pet or child would easily find them as an appealing snack. You can also use vinegar if the essential oil is not available. Liberally soak cotton balls with undiluted peppermint essential oil. Squeeze out excess oil so that it doesn’t leave a puddle where you place it.
14.) Borax Bait to Avoid Ants
Borax bait is one of the most popular remedies for ants. Use one tablespoon of peanut butter, two tablespoons of sugar, two teaspoons of borax and one teaspoon of water in a bowl. Place a small amount of the mixture on a little pieces of cardboard where the ants are mostly active. Watch them cluster it and carry back to their nest. If the method works effectively then try two teaspoons of borax. Your main motive is that, the ants carry it back and kill the entire colony and the queen.
15.) Kill Ants Trail to Get Rid of Ants
This is one of the most effective remedies for ants. It is well-known fact that ants retrace their path by leaving a trail behind for next arrival. Wipe out all the remaining trails of ants such that they will not get to the same place once again. If the major ants infestation is your kitchen then wiping their trails becomes most important.