After writing, how to get rid of a cough?, we are now writing the home remedies for asthma treatment. Asthma can be defined as a chronic inflammatory disease of the airway. It is a respiratory condition caused due to sudden spasm in the bronchi of the lungs. A sudden attack of asthma causes severe difficulty in breathing. The spasm causes the bronchi to swell, it contract the air passage and also produces extra mucus. Asthma attacks can be mild to severe. It varies from person to person. Asthma attacks can be irregular in occurrence. It may come up from time to time, but sometimes may not even appear for a very long time. Many allergens and irritants can also make you prone to get an asthma attack. Though, asthma cannot be cured, but you can minimize the symptoms to control it. Below are some of the home remedies for asthma treatment that are safe and effective to use. Before that let us know the causes and symptoms of asthma.
Causes of Asthma:
- Infection in upper respiratory airways.
- Breathing in cold or dry hair.
- Pollen, allergens or irritants
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
Symptoms of Asthma:
Home Remedies for Asthma Treatment:
1.) Coffee as a Remedy for Asthma Treatment
It is counted among the best remedies for asthma treatment. Coffee can be quite a helpful home remedy in order to treat asthma at home. Coffee contains a compound known as caffeine, which helps to prevent your lungs from spasm causing asthma attack. Caffeine present in coffee acts as a natural bronchodilator. A hot cup of coffee calms you down and helps clear the air passage to ease your breathing. For better result, go for strong coffee. Espresso can be a good choice for a strong coffee.
Directions to Use Coffee:
- Drink 2 to 3 cups a day for better result.
- Do not drink more than 3 cups.
- Instead of black coffee you can go for black tea as well.
- High intake of caffeine may cause other health problem so do not make caffeinated drinks, a regular treatment for asthma.
2.) Figs as an Asthma Remedy
Figs are another potent among home remedies for asthma and other respiratory problems. Figs are quite nutritious, they helps to boost your respiratory health fast. Figs also helps to drain phlegm and improve breathing process. Here is the method to use it.
Directions to Use Figs:
- Soak 3-4 dried figs in a cup of water for overnight.
- In the morning, take these figs out and eat them.
- Drink the water in which figs were soaked.
- Remember to eat and drink it on an empty stomach.
- Do this every morning for a few months to get rid of asthma naturally.
3.) Ginger as a Natural Asthma Remedy
Ginger is a quite popular natural treatment for different types of health problems. Asthma is one of those health problems. Ginger is quite helpful in reducing the inflammation in your air passage. It also helps prevent the contraction of airway. Ginger also helps to improve the effects of some asthma drugs like enhancing the muscle relaxant effects of asthma medicine. You can simply chew raw ginger several times a day. Other than chewing you can use below listed methods to treat asthma.
Directions to Use Ginger:
- Just add same amount of pomegranate juice and ginger juice and mix it well.
- Add honey as well for added benefits.
- Take 1 tbsp of this mixture 2-3 times a day.
- Mix 2 tsp of pounded ginger in 1 cup of water.
- Take 1 tbsp of this mixture regularly before going to bed.
- Take an ince of ginger and cut it into small pieces,
- Add these pieces in a pot of boiling water.
- Leave it to steep for 5 minutes.
- Cool it before drinking.
- You can even detoxify your lungs using ginger. Just make a decoction using fenugreek.
- For this, simply boil 1 tbsp of fenugreek seeds in a cup of water.
- Add 1 tsp each of honey and ginger juice to it.
- Have this solution every morning and evening for lung detoxification.
4.) Eucalyptus Oil as an Asthma Remedy
Eucalyptus oil is one of the most effective home remedies for respiratory problems, including asthma symptoms. Eucalyptus oil is known to have decongestant properties that help to prevent contraction of air passage. It also helps in soothing your airways. Eucalyptus oil contains a substance known as eucalyptol which is quite helpful in breaking up of mucus.
Directions to Use Eucalyptus Oil:
- Put 2 to 3 drops of eucalyptus oil in a boiling water.
- Breathe in the steam for a few minutes.
- Other than that, add a few drops of eucalyptus oil on a towel and place it around your pillow during your sleep.
- It will help you breathe in the aroma of eucalyptus oil.
5.) Garlic as an Asthma Remedy
Compounds present in garlic are very helpful to treat asthma. Garlic helps to reduce and cure asthma and symptoms related to other respiratory illness. Vitamin C plays a key role in fighting against asthma. Garlic is a rich source of Vitamin C. It helps in neutralizing free radicals responsible for contracting the airway. Garlic also helps to smooth muscles in asthma sufferers. Plus, it prevents and reduce histamine production in your body.
Directions to Use Garlic:
- Just add 2 to 3 cloves of garlic in a cup of milk.
- Boil the milk for a few minutes.
- Let it cool at room temperature before drinking.
- Drink it regularly for effective result.
- Instead of milk you can use water as well.
6.) Mustard Oil as an Asthma Remedy
Massaging with mustard oil during asthma attack can be very helpful. Mustard oil helps in clearing the respiratory passage by opening the airways to the lungs. It helps in getting back to breathing normal. This among the simplest remedies for asthma. Here is the method to do it.
Directions to Use Mustard Oil:
- Take some mustard oil in a bowl.
- Add 2-3 camphor in the bowl and heat it.
- Let it cool down to room temperature.
- Rub with this oil on your chest and upper back.
- Massage for a few minutes.
- Repeat this several times a day for better result.
7.) Onion as an Asthma Remedy
Onion is considered to have an anti-inflammatory properties which help to effectively reduce and prevent bronchi from contraction. Thus, preventing blockage of the airways when suffering from asthma attack. Onion is also known to contain sulfur, which helps reducing inflammation in the lungs.
Directions to Use Onion:
- Just eat raw onions to prevent your airways from contraction and for easier breathing.
- If you don’t like eating raw onion, you can have cooked onion.
8.) Carom Seeds as an Asthma Remedy
This is also one of the best remedies for asthma treatment. Carom seeds are also a very powerful home remedy for treating mild asthma problems. Carom seeds are a natural bronchodialator as it helps dilating bronchial tubes in your lungs. Below are couple of method to use this remedy.
Directions to Use Carom Seeds:
- Just wrap 1/2 cup of carom seeds in a piece of cloth.
- Heat these carom seeds in a microwave for a few seconds.
- Let it cool a bit so that it is comfortable for you to bear the heat.
- Place it on your neck and chest until it is warm.
- Do this daily for better result.
- Boil 1 tsp of carom seeds in a bowl filled half with water for several minutes.
- Later, inhale the steam as long as you can.
- Do this twice a day for effective results.
9.) Honey as an Asthma Remedy
Honey is one of the most friendly herbs as it gets along with any remedy without compromising with its efficiency. It is also among the most exploited ingredients useful for a wide variety of health ailments. It is quite effective in treating respiratory ailments like asthma too. Honey contains alcohol and ethereal oil that are helpful to reduce asthma symptoms naturally.
Directions to Use Honey:
- Mix 1 tsp of honey in a glass of warm water.
- Drink it 2 to 3 times a day to get relief from asthma symptoms.
- Add lemon for added benefits.
- Also, taking 1 tsp of honey before going to bed is considered effective in order to treat asthma.
10.) Lemon as an Asthma Remedy
It is one of the most effective remedies for asthma. Lemons are a well know rich source of Vitamin C and people suffering from asthma usually have low levels of Vitamin C. And, it becomes more difficult to maintain the Vitamin C levels throughout the day as our body is not able to store excess of Vitamin C. So, having lemon Juice 2-3 times daily can help overcome asthma condition. Lemon is also a good antioxidant agent. here is the method to use it.
Directions to Use Lemon:
- Extract half lemon juice in a glass of lukewarm water and drink it.
- Drinking 2-3 glass of lemon water will help reduce asthma symptoms fast and naturally.
- You can also add honey for taste and added benefits of honey.