This article deals with the home remedies for bed sores. When a person is restrict to a bed or a wheelchair for long term of time due to sickness, skin ulcers that are generally known as bed sores begin to occur. This situation is quite common between the elderly, but they can happen in people in a coma or those rendered fixed due to various health issues. Being immobile and staying in one position for a long duration decrease the blood flow to different parts of the skin, thereby causing severe sores or blisters. Bed sores are red in color at the first stage and as time progress, they begin to turn purple. It is essential to treat these sores at the initial as they can crack open if left neglected.
Once they open up, infection can be begin and this infection can spread to various muscle areas in the body. The areas that are common affected by bed sores are lower back, buttocks, shoulder edge, hips, heels, joints, legs. Natural home remedies are helpful for the treatment of bed sores as they are simple and cheap. You can make healing mix using everyday ingredients that you have in your kitchen. You do not have to go through harsh side-effects either. Apart from the home remedies you should also make sure that the patient’s mattress and pillow are soft and clean. They should increase circulation of the blood and block pressure to specific areas of the body such as the back, hips, legs, buttocks joints, etc. as these are areas that are prone to bed sores.
Symptoms of Bed Sores:
Bed sores are not difficult to identify, and this means you can treat them quickly before they get worse. Here are some of the symptoms of bed sores.
- Itchiness in areas of the body which are under continuous pressure.
- Skin lesions, especially on areas such as joints.
- Skin that has reddened and does not turn white when pressure is put on it.
- Warm and soft sensation on the area affected by bed sores.
- Swelling and production of pus, which emits a nasty smell.
- Pain in muscles and joints.
- Blisters and sores which normally occur at a next stage.
Home Remedies for Bed Sores Treatment:
1.) Turmeric Root and Hazel as a Remedy for Bed Sores
Bed sores can be handle with this mixture by washing the affected area two to four times a day. It provides great comfort from itchiness and pain caused by the bed sores. This is a simple home remedy that many people use to naturally treat the skin ulcers. what you need to do is boil these herbs in water and strain the water use this mild warm water to wash your sores.
2.) Aloe Vera as a Remedy for Bed Sores
The gel of the popular aloe vera plant is a wonderful remedy for bed sores. Apply the gel of this awesome plant on the affected area every day to cure the sores and keep the skin soft and smooth. It also cools the affected areas, providing relief from pain as well as itchiness that is caused by the bed sores.
3.) Sugar and Honey as a Remedy for Bed Sores
Another very powerful home remedy for bed sores is a mixture of sugar and honey. Applying the batter on the affected area two times everyday and wash it after 30 minutes this can improve sores quickly. The mixture is also helpful in discharge any poison from the sores and block any infection from developing.
4.) Turmeric Powder as a Remedy for Bed Sores
This is different common home remedy that is used to treat bed sores. All you need to do is sprinkle a small amount of turmeric powder over the area that is affected by the sores. This helps in sterilize the wound and preventing any infection. Turmeric has many medicinal powers, and so it is definitely a great remedy for skin lesions and sores.
5.) Saline Water as a Remedy for Bed Sores
Bed sores can recover faster with the help of saline water. It will help in reducing excess fluids in the sores and release dead skin. It also prevents swelling and infection. Boil 2 teaspoons of salt in a cup of water and let it cool or keep it tepid. Once it has cooled, apply it to the sores to clean and purify them. Let the concern area dry properly and then cover it with a bandage. You can do this several times a day and obtain quick results.
6.) Honey and Beetroot as a Remedy for Bed Sores
A mixture of honey and beetroot can be applied to bed sores to treat them. Apply the juice of 3 beetroots and 2 tablespoons of honey to the sores with the help clean cotton balls two to four times a day to improve them. It will have a soothing effect on the areas that are affected by bed sores.
7.) Papaya Milk as a Remedy for Bed Sores
This is another comforting home remedy that can be used to treat bed sores. The “milk” of papaya can be found in its tree trunk or from the fruit while it is still green. Using a cloth soaked in the milk, apply it to the bed sores three times a day to gain comfort from pain and itchiness. It will also prevent the sores from getting dangerous.
8.) Coconut Oil as a Remedy for Bed Sores
Coconut oil known for its effective and powerful anti-inflammatory quality provides great relief from the problem. Moreover it also helps in decrease the risk of infection in the sores and kill harmful bacteria and viruses from the skin. Not only this, coconut oil improves the moisture content of the skin and thereby promote faster recovery. Apply some coconut oil several times in a day to get relief.
9.) Baking Soda as a Remedy for Bed Sores
Baking soda can control the excessive itching very effectively. Not only this, it prevents the infection and controls the critical side of the problem. Prepare a baking soda blend by mixing it with some water and apply it gently over the bed sores to get relief.
10.) Tea Tree Oil as a Remedy for Bed Sores
Tea tree oil provides relief from all the sign of bed sores. It treats itching, infection, swelling, pain etc very effectively. Apply it by dipping a cotton ball. when it is completely saturated, apply it on the effected area. Repeat every day till you get complete relief.
11.) Goldenseal to Get Rid of Bed Sores
This is one of the best herbs to treat bed sores. It is not only soothing for the sores but also minimizes the pain and inflammation caused by it. Goldenseal contains antiseptic properties which stops the infection from spreading. Here are two ways to use goldenseal.
- Take one cup of hot water and add one teaspoon of goldenseal powder. Steep it for a few minutes and then strain it. Leave it to cool down and then wash the wound with this herbal tea twice a day. It will help to dry the sores fast.
- Take out the oil from a few vitamin E capsules and mix it with one teaspoon of goldenseal powder. Apply this mixture on the bed sores thrice a day.
12.) Zinc to Treat Bed Sores
This wonderful mineral is a great remedy for bed sores. It not only strengthens the immune system but also repairs the damaged skin tissues and encourages fast healing. Adequate amount of zinc can prevent the infection and deteriorations of bed sores. Here are some forms in which you can take zinc.
- Apply ointment that contains zinc on the sores.
- Consume zinc supplement to promote quick healing. But consult your doctor before doing so.
- Try to include zinc based foods in the daily diet. Nuts, pumpkin, spinach, oysters, mushroom etc are some of the foods that are rich in zinc.
13.) Myrrh and Witch Hazel to Cure Bed Sores
The combination of these two components is wonderful for the treatment of bed sores. Witch hazel contains astringent properties while myrrh is a wonderful resin. The combination of these two components will not only heal the sores but also prevents the infection of spreading further. All you need to do is clean the bed sores with this combination 3 to 4 times a day to promote faster healing.
14.) Vitamin C to Get Rid of Bed Sores
This is another helpful remedy to get rid of bed sores. You already know that vitamin C is known for strengthening the immune system but do you know that it is also wonderful remedy to treat bed sores. It is excellent choice for the health of the skin. The anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties present in vitamin C prevent the infection from spreading. It heals the sores and prevents damage to skin tissues. Here are some ways to use vitamin C to get rid of bed sores.
- Consume vitamin rich foods such as grapefruit, lemon, oranges, bell peppers etc.
- Mix one teaspoon of gooseberry powder in a glass of warm water. Drink it daily in the morning on an empty stomach.
- You can have vitamin C supplements after consulting to your doctor.
15.) Lysol to Cure Bed Sores
This is one of the most effective remedies to cure bed sores completely. Lysol kills the germs that are responsible for causing bed sores. It also speeds up the healing process. All you need to do is fill Lysol in a spray bottle. Now, spray it on the affected areas of the skin. Repeat this treatment 3 to 4 times a day to see quick results.
16.) Comfrey to Treat Bed Sores
This is one of the best remedies to treat bed sores. The roots as well as leaves of comfrey are famous for its medicinal properties. This herb helps in the regeneration of the tissues. Comfrey also minimizes the inflammation and pain caused by bed sores. Here are few steps to use comfrey to treat bed sores.
- Mix equal parts of slippery elm and comfrey.
- Mix a little water to make a paste.
- Apply this paste on the affected areas of the skin.
- Cover the area with a bandage and leave it for one full night.
- In the morning, clean the wounds with saline water.
- Repeat this remedy daily to get favorable results.
17.) Change Positions to Get Rid of Bed Sores
It is necessary to change the position of the body from time to time because it reduces the stress and pressure on the skin. Pressure on the skin can irritate the existing bed sores. It also minimizes the chances of developing new sores. Here are some ways on how you can change your positions.
- If you are on a wheelchair, then just try to lift your body upwards in every 30 minutes.
- Use bed linens to lift and reposition your body. It will minimize the risk of friction and shearing. Do this in every 2 to 3 hours to prevent bed sores.
- If you have strength in your upper body, then reposition yourself with the help of trapeze bar in every few hours.
18.) Baby Powder to Cure Bed Sores
This is one of the best remedies to get instant relief from bed sores. It prevents moisture and hence stops the sore from developing. It prevents the sores from multiplying and stops the infection from spreading further. Clean the bed sores with a disinfectant and then apply the baby powder on the sores. You can even apply the baby powder on the areas which are under most pressure. Do this twice a day to encourage quick healing.
19.) Milk of Magnesia and Iodine to Treat Bed Sores
This is one of the most effective home remedies to treat bed sores. It a popular remedy that is used in hospitals for patients to treat bed sores. It encourages quick healing. All you need to do is mix equal amount of milk of magnesia and iodine. Keep this mixture aside for about 20 to 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, apply this milk on the bed sores. Apply this 2 to 3 times a day to promote healing.
20.) Avoid Smoking to Get Rid of Bed Sores
When a person smokes the blood supply is reduced in the body and the skin dries. Now, when the blood supply is reduced the chances of developing bed sores increases. Smoking also slows down the healing process. You should also caffeinated beverages such as tea and coffee as it has the same effect as cigarettes. Stay away from cigarette and these caffeinated beverages so that proper healing of the sores can take place.
- Sleep on an air mattress to prevent bed sores.
- Make sure the skin is free of sweat, wound drainage and urine.
- Make sure your skin is moisturized well. Dry skin is easily damaged.
- Drink lots of water to keep the skin hydrated.
- Don’t wear dry clothes and avoid wearing nylon underwear.
- Eat protein rich foods to strengthen the body and build muscle.
- Use pillows or soft cushions to reduce the pressure on the bed sores.
- If you are bedridden, then do some exercises in your daily routine.
- Put a cushion on the bony area to encourage healing.
- Don’t eat tobacco based products.