In this article we will discuss some of the best home remedies for chapped lips. Chapped lips is a condition, which is very common among people. People who live in extremely changing climate are more prone to chapped lips condition. This condition can be characterized by cracks, peeling, dryness in the lips. Chapped lips affects the lower lip more. In winters, the problem may increase as the air is dry during this weather. But, this does not mean chapped lips can occur in winters only. It can occur to anyone in any weather. Our lips do not have oil glands like the skin to keep them moisturized all the time. The only source to keep them moist and soft is our saliva. That is why, we get dry and chapped lips very easily. On the other hand, some people can suffer from serious type of chapped lips condition which is medically known as cheilitis. Cheilitis can be caused by an infection which causes inflammation in lips. It can be identified by broken skin on the side corners of the lips. It is therefore important to keep a check on the lips in order to keep them healthy. Below you can find some of the easiest home remedies for chapped lips treatment. But, let us know the causes and symptoms of chapped lips.
Causes of Chapped Lips:
1.) Lack of Water
Lack of water causes dehydration in your body. Lips do not have oil glands, so they get dry and chapped very easily. Dry lips can be an indication of lack of water content in the body. Exposure to dry wind and hot conditions can make you more dehydrated. This may also result in dry and chapped lips.
2.) Licking Your Lips
We lick our lips when they get dry and chapped. Frequently licking of lips make them more dry and chapped. This is because saliva vaporizes easily and result in loss of more moisture from lips. This makes them more drier and chapped.
3.) Breathing From Mouth
Breathing from the mouth can also be a reason for dry and chapped lips. When we suffer from cold, we try to breath from mouth due to nasal congestion and a stuffy nose. The air we breath passes from our lips which makes them dry.
4.) Chewing or Biting Lips
When the lips get dry, we usually try to bite and peel off the skin through chewing or biting. This chewing and biting has adverse effects on the lips. It can be bloody and can even cause swelling and redness in the lips.
Sometimes, medication is also responsible for causing dry lips. Medicine for like acne, Blood pressure, and other condition gives a drying effect. This makes the lips drier and results in chapped lips. Accutane, Propranolol are some of the examples of it.
Symptoms of Chapped Lips
- Dryness in lips
- Scaling in the lips
- Swelling of lips
- Bleeding from the lips.
- Cracks on lips
- Canker sores
- Dry mouth
- Irritation and burning sensation in lips.
Home Remedies for Chapped Lips Treatment:
1.) Sugar as a Remedy For Chapped Lips Treatment
Sugar can help to restore the moisture in the chapped lips. Exfoliating with sugar will help in removing the dead skin from them. It reduces dryness and makes them soft and smooth.
- Take 2 parts of sugar and mix with 1 part of honey.
- Apply this mixture on the lips.
- Gently rub this mixture over the lips to scrub out the dead skin cells.
- Afterwards, clean lips with lukewarm water.
- Repeat this process once a day for a week to see positive results.
2.) Coconut Oil as a Chapped Lips Remedy Overnight
As discussed above your lips do not have any oil glands to keep themselves moisturize. So, lips get dry easily and become chapped. To overcome this, coconut can be an effective remedy for overnight treatment of dry lips. Coconut is a natural moisturizer and it’s easily available too. It is one of the best treatments for chapped lips.
- Take 1-2 drop of coconut oil in your palm and massage your lips gently using a fingertip.
- Every time your lips start to get dry, apply coconut oil to keep them moisturized.
- Mustard oil, castor oil or olive can be a good substitute of coconut oil.
3.) Rose Leaf as a Chapped Lips Remedy Overnight
Roses are known to be natural moisturizer. You can find them easily in a garden or park. Roses not only help moisturize lips but also help to enhance the softness and color tone of the lips. For this, follow the below mentioned steps.
- Take 4 or 5 rose petals and soak them in milk for a few hours.
- Afterwards, mash those petals to make a fine paste.
- Apply this paste on your lips 2-3 times a day.
- Apply it overnight to see better results.
- You can use glycerin as a substitute to milk if you have problems with dairy products.
4.) Cucumber as a Remedy For Chapped Lips Treatments
Cucumber can be one of the best treatment for chapped lips. It is because of its rich water content. Cucumber can also help in making lips softer and smoother. Here is the method to do it.
- Rub a slice of cucumber on your chapped lips regularly. It will help them to recover fast.
- Drink cucumber juice to keep yourself hydrated internally.
- Other than the slice, you can dab cucumber juice also with a cotton swab.
- Repeat this process 3-4 times a day to prevent lips from drying.
5.) Honey as a Remedy for Chapped Lips Treament
Honey has an excellent moisturizing and antibacterial properties to treat dry and chapped lips. Try to avoid processed honey, instead go for raw honey. You can get raw honey from a local farmer market.
- Apply some raw honey directly on your lips.
- Massage it gently for a few minutes.
- Repeat it several times a day.
- Alternatively, you can make a paste of honey and glycerin.
- Apply this paste before going to bed.
- It will help in softening your lips.
6.) Milk Cream as a Remedy for Severely Chapped Lips
A milk with high content of fat works as an outstanding moisturizer. Milk cream can also be a great help to enhance the color tone of the lips. It is one of the best method to get rid of severely chapped lips. Here is the method to do it.
- Take fresh milk cream and apply it with a fingertip on lips.
- Leave it on for 10-15 minutes to get absorbed.
- Later, clean your lips with a cotton ball dipped in lukewarm water.
- Apply it daily to get best results.
7.) Aloe Vera as a Remedy for Severely Chapped Lips
Aloe Vera in known for its healing and cooling properties. It also has anti bacterial and anti inflammatory properties. Such qualities makes Aloe Vera an efficient soothing agent. It is one of the best treatment for chapped lips.
- Take a fresh leaf of Aloe Vera and cut it in half. Take out the gel out of it.
- Apply this fresh gel on your chapped lips twice a day.
- You can drink Aloe Vera juice also for the internal benefits.
8.) Petroleum Jelly as a Remedy for Cracked Lips Treatment
Petroleum jelly is a proven moisturizer for dry and cracked lips. Application of this jelly several times a day helps keep your lips moist. Here is the method to do it.
- Apply a small amount of petroleum jelly before going to bed.
- Other than this, apply a layer of honey on your lips. Allow it to dry for a minute.
- Then, apply petroleum jelly over it and Leave it for 5-10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, take a cotton ball and dip it in lukewarm water. Swipe it off across your lips to clean them.
- This will make your lips soft and supple.
- Repeat this process daily for improving and maintaining healthy lips.
9.) Lemon Juice as a Remedy for Cracked Lips
Lemon juice is a perfect home remedy to prevent your skin from aging. It also helps effectively in the nourishment of cracked lips. It makes them smoother and softer.
- Add 3-4 drops of lemon juice into 1 tsp of milk cream.
- Refrigerate it for an hour.
- Take it out and apply this mixture on your lips every night before sleeping.
- Repeating this process every day will give you visible results.
10.) Drink Plenty Of Water to Get Rid of Chapped Lips Naturally
One of the main reasons behind dry and chapped lips can be dehydration (lack of water). It is very necessary to drink a sufficient amount of water to keep yourself hydrated. Drinking water is not only important for chapped lips, but is also important for other functions of the body. Because a healthy body is consist of more than 60% of water.
- As you wake up in morning, drink two glasses of water.
- Before going to bed, drink a glass of water to keep yourself hydrated while you are asleep.
- Water also helps to detoxify your body and gives you a healthy and glowing skin.