This article is about home remedies for chest congestion. Here in this article we will get to learn different remedies that are used to get rid of chest congestion at home. Chest congestion is caused by swelling of the mucus membrane. It involves inflammation in the respiratory tract. It is generally a result of allergy, virus or bacteria. It normally happens because of inhaling some alien particulates. Chest congestion can become a headache if not treated well in time. It creates breathing problems and sometimes it pains as well. In this article, we will learn different home remedies for chest congestion that work best. To know more about chest congestion, read the article.
Symptoms of Chest Congestion:
You can easily identify your congestion as you start to suffer with breathing problems. Still, it can beat you sometime. So here are the other symptoms of chest congestion:
- Blood during coughing
- Runny nose
- Chest pain
- Loud noises while breathing
- Shortness of breath
Causes of Chest Congestion:
Here are the reasons for chest congestion:
- Common cold
- Airborne allergies
- Gastresophageal reflux
- Health failure
- Pulmonary edema
- Lung cancer
- Crystic fibrosis
Home Remedies for Chest Congestion:
Home remedies for chest congestion are easily available and are easy to make. You have to follow simple steps at home and get rid of chest congestion. You no longer have to run for the tonics available at stores that make you feel drowsy. Try the home remedies for chest congestion and stay away from the medical treatment that may have side effects on your body and pocket as well. There are a number of home remedies for chest congestion prepared from the ingredients around you. Such home remedies for chest congestion are:
1.) Take a Hot Bath to Relieve Chest Congestion
Taking a hot bath under the steamy shower is one of the easiest home remedies for chest congestion. You have to stand under a hot shower for almost 10 minutes. Make sure that the temperature of the water matches your capacity to bear that much heat. Stand under hot shower for 10 minutes and inhale and exhale deeply. It opens up the inflamed lining mucus membrane of the nose and thus gives you relief from chest congestion.
2.) Salt Water Gargle to Cure Chest Congestion
Salt water gargle is one of the most effective remedies for chest congestion. Gargle with hot salt water at least twice a day and you will get rid of the chest congestion. What you have to do is:
- Take a glass of water and bring to heat.
- When it is lukewarm, add a teaspoon of salt to it.
- Take a sip and gargle with it.
3.) Take a Steam to Treat Chest Congestion
This is one the most primitive home remedies for chest congestion. Inhaling the steam is a very good remedy as it helps with the swelling of the lining mucus of the nose. It functions as a natural humidifier. Prepare the solution for inhaling the steam:
- Take a bowl of water and boil it nicely.
- Now add some peppermint oil to the hot boiling water.
- Now take your head over the bowl and drape it with a towel.
- Inhale deeply for five minutes.
- Repeat the process on daily basis and get rid of chest congestion at home.
4.) Turmeric for Chest Congestion
Turmeric is also one the most effective remedies for chest congestion. It has curcumin, which directly attacks the inflamed tissues of the nose. You can use the turmeric in two different ways:
- Have it with hot milk. Boil a glass of milk and add half teaspoon turmeric powder to it. Mix it well and drink it.
- What else you can do is gargle with it. Boil a glass of water and add a pinch of turmeric powder to it. Gargle with it around four times daily.
5.) Lemon to Cure Chest Congestion
Lemon is counted among the most useful home remedies for chest congestion. The citric acid, which it contains is good at fighting off the swelling of the mucus. What you have to do is make a solution and drink it. What you have to do is:
- Take a glass of water and heat it.
- When it is lukewarm, add lemon juice to it.
- Now add honey to it and mix it well.
- Drink it several times a day.
6.) Garlic for Chest Congestion
Garlic is rich in vitamin A, B and C and it also has calcium, copper and iron. All these qualities of garlic help you stay healthy. It is one of the most successive home remedies for chest congestion. To make the solution:
- Take three garlic cloves and crush them well.
- Boil a glass of water or milk and add crushed cloves.
- Boil it for some time.
- Now strain the liquid and discard garlic.
- Also, add honey to the liquid.
- Drink it and repeat it every day.
7.) Make a Hot Pack to Treat Chest Congestion
You can make hot pack using cloves, fenugreek or cloves. What you have to do is roast them for some time and make a pack by wrapping them in a piece of cloth. Now put that pack on the throat and chest for some time. This remedy is one of the most helpful remedies for chest congestion.
8.) Onion as a Remedy for Chest Congestion
Onion gives you great relief from chest congestion. This remedy stands out among all the home remedies for chest congestion. Follow the steps to use it:
- Take one onion and extract its juice.
- Now take equal amount of honey and water.
- Mix all the ingredients well and heat it for some time.
- Drink the solution at least thrice a day.
9.) Apple Cider Vinegar to Get Rid of Chest Congeation
Apple cider vinegar is among the most successful remedies for chest congestion. It helps reduce the thickness of the mucucs. Using it is very easy. Follow the steps to absorb its virtues:
- Take a cup of water and heat it
- Now add two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar to it.
- Add one teaspoon of honey to it.
- Drink the solution three times a day to get the best results.
10.) Ginger for Chest Congestion
Ginger has anti-inflammatory properties that help fight chest congestion. It is one of the most amazing home remedies for chest congestion. You can use it by following any of the given methods:
- Boil a cup of hot water.
- Add one inch of finely chopped, to it.
- Cover it and steep for 4-5 minutes.
- Strain the liquid and discard the ginger.
- Now add a tsp of honey to it.
- Drink it thrice a day or
- Take one tsp of ginger powder and grind it well with black pepper and cloves.
- Make a fine powder and divide into three doses.
- Take it three times day with milk or honey.
11.) Oregano Oil to Cure Chest Congestion
You can use oregano oil to treat chest congestion. It can be applied both internally and externally and you will be able to cure congestion easily at home. What you have to do is apply some oregano oil on your neck and on your chest whenever you notice the symptoms. You can consume oregano capsules as well.
12.) Bay Leaf to Treat Chest Congestion
Bay leaves can prove to be one of the most amazing remedies for chest congestion. When you want to get rid of chest congestion, you can prepare a solution using bay leaves. To make the solution:
- Take a cup of water and bring it to boil.
- Add a few bay leaves to it.
- Now strain the liquid and drink it.
13.) Chamomile Tea to Get Rid of Chest Congestion
You can also use chamomile tea to get rid of chest congestion. What you have to do is just prepare a chamomile tea when you notice the symptoms of chest congestion. To make the tea:
- Take a cup of boiled water and add some chamomile leaves to it.
- Now cover it with a lid and let it steep for 5 minutes.
- Now strain the solution and drink it.
14.) Eucalyptus Oil to Cure Chest Congestion
You can also inhale eucalyptus oil to relieve chest congestion. It is one of the most efficient remedies for chest congestion. Using it is easy. You just have to inhale eucalyptus oil when you feel congestion in your chest. What you have to do is:
- Take a pot of water and boil it.
- Add a few drops of eucalyptus oil to it.
- Now take your had over it and cover with a towel.
- Now, inhale the steam.
15.) Black Coffee to Treat Chest Congestion
Black coffee is one of the most fantastic remedies for treating chest congestion. What you have to do is consume black whenever you notice the symptoms of chest congestion. Do not drink more than two cups as it can increase your heart rate and blood pressure.