Chicken Pox is a very severe kind of disease, basically caused due to a virus known as herpes varicella-zoster. It is a very contagious illness that can spread by the droplets from sneezing or a cough, and bed linens or blisters. It may also get caused by coming in contact with the clothing of the infected person. The symptoms of this disease remain up to 10-21 days. It is highly contagious in the very first stage of it, when the rashes usually appear. To recover soon from such type of disease, it is important to use the home remedies for chicken pox treatment.
Symptoms of Chicken Pox:
Chicken Pox Spots: This is a very common symptom of chickenpox. In the starting, you will notice small itchy red spots on your body. Soon after a few days, you will notice the development of blisters on the top of these spots. They become intensely itchy after 12-14 hours. You can see the spots at various places like:
- Behind the Ears
- On the Face
- Over the Scalp
- On the Arms
- On the Legs
- On the Chest
- On the Belly
Feeling Ill: You experience illness at the time of chickenpox. This may include:
- Fever (high temperature of 100.4 F or over)
- Painful muscles
- Loss of appetite
- Feeling unwell
Few Unusual Symptoms:
Though, healthy people are lucky to recover soon from chicken pox. But, few people suffer from very unusual symptoms like:
- The skin surrounded by blisters turns reddish and painful.
- Having the difficulty to breathe properly and experiencing the pain in the chest.
- Signs of dehydration like drowsiness, cold hands and feet.
Complications Involved in the Chicken Pox:
The people who can strike with these complications are pregnant women, adolescents, adults and people having weak immunity.
- Joint Infections
- Infection in the bloodstream
- Bone Infections
- Problem in Bleeding
- Bacterial infection in the soft tissues and in the skin of children
- Toxic Shock Syndrome
- Inflammation in brain
Note: A pregnant woman who never had chicken pox must remain careful if she is under the contact of an infected person.
Home Remedies for Chicken Pox Treatment:
1.) Baking Soda to Treat Chicken Pox
It is the effective home remedies for chicken pox, which is useful in controlling the irritation and itchiness. To use this remedy, follow these steps:
- Stir one or half tablespoon of baking soda in a glass of water.
- Now, take a soft washcloth and dip it in the solution.
- Put a washcloth in the different infected parts of your body and allow it to dry.
- Another way is to mix one or half teaspoon of baking soda in your bath water and soak it while bathing.
2.) Indian Lilac for Chicken Pox Treatment
This is one of the best home remedies for chicken pox. Indian Lilac also termed as neem or margosa is a very useful treatment for chicken pox as it contains the antiviral properties. Moreover, it also helps in drying out the blisters and provides relief in itching. Just take a handful leaves of neem, crush them and prepare a paste of it. Now, apply it on the affected areas of your body. You can even add neem leaves in bath water; it is a very beneficial treatment for chicken pox.
3.) Oatmeal to Cure Chicken Pox Treatment
Oatmeal bath is one of the best home remedies for chicken pox, as it helps in reducing the itchiness caused by the blisters. To prepare this remedy, follow these steps:
- Crush two cups of oatmeal and prepare a powder.
- Now, add the powdered oatmeal in 2 liters of lukewarm water.
- Soak it for 15-20 minutes.
4.) Honey to Treat Chicken Pox
Honey provides relief from itchiness to a great extent. It also helps in healing the blisters caused due to chicken pox.
- Buy a good quality of honey and apply it on the affected area.
- Repeat this process 2-3 times in a day.
5.) Herbal Tea to Avoid Chicken Pox
Herbal tea is very beneficial for our health. You can try mild and sedative herbal tea made from various herbs like chamomile, marigold, holy basil and lemon balm. To prepare this remedy, follow these steps:
- Add one tablespoon of herbal tea in one cup of boiling water. Let the herbs steep for few minutes.
- Once it is prepared to strain it.
- Now, add a little amount of cinnamon, lemon juice and honey in it.
- Drink it on a regular basis.
6.) Sandalwood Oil for Chicken Pox
Due to the antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties of sandalwood, it has become one of the most effective home remedies for chicken pox. It also helps in fading the chicken pox scars.
Just add a few drops of sandalwood oil in one teaspoon of carrier oil such as almond oil and apply it on the rashes. Apply this remedy on a regular basis till the sores and scars heal entirely.
7.) Calendula to Cure Chicken Pox
It is also known as marigold flowers that are used to provide relief from the itchiness caused by chicken pox. To prepare this remedy, follow these steps:
- Take one cup of water and add two tablespoons of calendula flowers and one tablespoon of witch hazel leaves in it. Leave this mixture overnight.
- In the morning, grind this mixture and prepare a paste.
- Now, apply the paste directly to the infected areas of your body.
- Once it dries out completely, rinse off the areas where you have applied the paste.
8.) Brown Vinegar to Treat Chicken Pox
Vinegar consists of acetic acid in it. The mild acid in vinegar helps in killing the harmful bacteria. The brown vinegar helps in relieving irritation and itchiness. It makes blisters dry off. It even helps in preventing the chicken pox scars. To prepare this remedy, follow these steps:
- Take some lukewarm water in the bathtub and half cup of brown vinegar in it.
- Take a bath with this water on a regular basis to cure chicken pox.
9.) Home-made Anti-itching Oil Treatment for Chicken Pox
There are many essential oils on the market that contain antiviral and anti-fungal properties. They are used to get relief from itching you get from the blisters in chicken pox. Well, here are the ingredients you need, to prepare this recipe of home-made anti-itching oil.
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 1 tsp Fine sea salt
- 2 tsp Bentonite clay
- 1 tsp Witch hazel
- 5 drops Peppermint oil
- 5 drops Lavender oil
- 2 drops Tea tree oil
- 2 drops Ravensara oil
- 2 drops Niaouli oil
- 2 drops Rosemary oil
- 2 drops Clove oil
How to Prepare This Remedy:
- Mix and blend all these ingredients together.
- Apply this solution on the rashes and blisters to get rid of the itching.
10.) Take a Ginger Bath to Get Rid of Chicken Pox
It is one of the great home remedies for chicken pox. It provides relief in itching caused by chicken pox.
- Mix ginger powder or freshly cut ginger pieces in lukewarm water.
- Soak it for 20-30 minutes.
- Now, pat your skin dry with the help of the clean towel.
11.) Carrots and Coriander to Treat Chicken Pox
The combination of carrots and coriander is wonderful for the treatment of chicken pox. Both are loaded with antioxidants that speed up the healing process. Follow the directions given below to get best results.
- Take 100 grams of carrots and chop them finely. You will get about one cup of chopped carrots.
- Take 60 grams of fresh coriander leaves and chop them to get one half cup of chopped coriander leaves.
- Boil both these vegetables together in two and one cup quarter of water.
- Keep boiling until the water is reduced to half.
- Drink this carrot and coriander soup once every day for about one month. You can even consume boiled carrots and coriander leaves to get strength.
12.) Epsom Salt for the Treatment of Chicken Pox
This is actually a mineral compound and not a salt that works amazingly in the treatment of chicken pox. The presence of sulfate and magnesium in Epsom salt makes it a good choice to get rid of the itching caused due to chicken pox. Epsom salt contains minerals that give quick relief from the pain and inflammation caused due to chicken pox. Follow the directions given below to get relief in chicken pox.
- In one gallon of warm water, mix about 2 cups of Epsom salt.
- Soak a clean cloth in the water and squeeze out the extra water.
- Keep this cloth on the chicken pox blisters.
- Leave it until the cloth cools down.
- Dip the cloth again and repeat the same process.
- Repeat this method many times in a day to relieve itching and pain caused in chicken pox.
- In your bathtub filled with warm water, add about 2 cups of Epsom salt.
- Use your hands to mix the water until the salt dissolves completely.
- Soak your body in this water for the next 20 minutes. You can even soak for some more time if you wish.
- Once you are out of the water pat your skin dry with a clean towel.
- Be gentle, because the blisters can cause you pain.
- Repeat this treatment every day until you get rid of chicken pox completely.
13.) Jasmine Flower to Get Rid of Chicken Pox
This is one of the excellent Thai remedies to get rid of chicken pox completely. Thailand people use jasmine flowers in the treatment of chicken pox. The best thing about this remedy is that you can easily get jasmine flowers in any nearby herbal medicine shop. Follow the directions given below to get fast relief from chicken pox.
- You can buy some jasmine tea or tea bags from your nearby herbal store.
- Steep 1 or 2 jasmine tea bags in a cup of hot water.
- Steep it for a few minutes and then sip it slowly to get relief.
- Have this jasmine tea 2 to 3 times per day until chicken pox is cured.
- Alternatively, take few jasmine flowers and grind them together. Mix some rice water in this ground jasmine. Now, fill your bathtub with warm water and add this rice water in it. Have a bath with this water to get a relief from the symptoms of chicken pox.
14.) Green Peas for the Treatment of Chicken Pox
This is one of the wonderful home remedies for the treatment of chicken pox. This delicious vegetable gives quick relief from itching that is caused due to chicken pox. Follow the directions given below to cure chicken pox completely.
- Take about 200 grams of peas.
- Add enough water so that the peas are soaked in it completely.
- Boil this water until the peas get soft.
- Collect the water in a different bowl and store it for later use.
- Crush the peas to make a thick paste.
- Apply this paste directly on the blisters.
- After one hour, wash it off with water.
- Water that you will get after draining the peas also helps in getting relief from chicken pox.
- Soak a clean cloth in this water and apply it on your skin. It will help in reducing the scars on the skin that are associated with chicken pox.
15.) Diet to Get Rid of Chicken Pox Fast
There are several nutrients, vitamins and minerals that are needed for the proper functioning of the body. These nutrients are minerals not only strengthen the immunity but also remove the toxic waste from the body which is essential in the treatment of chicken pox. Therefore, it is necessary you pay proper attention to your diet. Here are some quick tips you can follow in your diet.
- Don’t take too much of dairy products but you can go for a bowl of yogurt.
- Consume plenty of fruits and vegetables. The phyto-nutrients in it strengthen the immune system.
- Don’t eat sugary or processed foods.
- Use kale, broccoli, cherries, beet, cabbage and blackberries to make smoothies.
- Do not eat too much of bread, meat or other food items that put stress on your digestive system.
- Make sure to avoid too much of spices, salt or butter in food.
- Have a cup of chicken soup or vegetable broth daily.
- Drink lots of water and other fluids.
16.) Basil to Cure Chicken Pox
This is one of the excellent home remedies to cure chicken pox. Eugenol is an anesthetic agent present in basil that gives quick relief from the itching and irritation that is associated with chicken pox. It also kills the virus that is responsible for causing infection. Follow the directions given below to get rid of chicken pox completely.
- Put some handful of basil leaves in boiling water.
- Lower the flame and let it simmer for the next 5 minutes.
- Turn down the gas flame and leave it to steep for the next 10 minutes.
- Strain the water and keep it in the refrigerator.
- Dip a cloth in this water and apply on the chicken pox blisters.
- You can store the remaining water in the refrigerator for later use.
- Reapply this water once every day to get rid of chicken pox completely.
17.) Thieves Oil Bath to Treat Chicken Pox
This is one of the wonderful remedies to treat chicken pox. Thieves oil is actually a mixture of clove, cinnamon, rosemary, eucalyptus oils. The anti-viral and antiseptic properties of this oil make it a good choice for the treatment of chicken pox. It also kills the virus that is responsible for causing chicken pox. Follow the directions given below to get quick relief from the symptoms of chicken pox.
- Mix three to four drops each of thieves oil, lavender oil and malaleuca oil together.
- Add this combination of oils in one fourth cup of Epsom salt.
- Leave it for about 30 minutes so that the oils are absorbed in Epsom salt.
- Now, add this Epsom salt in your bathtub filled with warm water.
- Soak your body in it for the next 15 to 20 minutes.
- Use a soft towel to pat your skin dry.
- Repeat this process daily until chicken pox is cured.
18.) Guava Leaves to Get Rid of Chicken Pox
This is one of the easiest and effective remedies to get rid of chicken pox. Guava leaves are used for various skin infections and irritations. Guava leaves are loaded with antioxidant properties and vitamin C which makes it a perfect remedy for the treatment of chicken pox. It reduces the chicken pox rashes and the vitamin C in it prevents scarring. Follow the directions given below to cure chicken pox.
- Take 10 to 12 fresh guava leaves and boil them in about 2 cups of water.
- After 10 to 15 minutes, strain the water and add a little amount of honey in it.
- Have this guava water while it is still warm.
- Drink 2 to 3 cups of this water every day to see the difference.
Note: If you are having hypoglycemia then avoid drinking this guava water as it lowers down the blood sugar levels. People having heart problems should also avoid using this remedy for the treatment of chicken pox.
Chicken Pox Prevention:
Here are a few preventive measures that you may follow to prevent chicken pox from spreading to others.
- Remember, you are infectious till your last blister is burst and crusted over. So, before that, you need to remain away from your office and other public places where there are chances to infect others.
- It is really important for an infected child to stay away from the pregnant woman, newborn babies, and persons having weak immunity system. They have higher chances of getting infected.
- The virus may also get spread by touching contaminated objects. Hence, it is really important to wipe the objects your child use.
- You can take the help of vaccination to prevent chicken pox. In the U.S. varicella vaccine is recommended for children belonging to the age group of 12-15 months. The second dose is recommended for children of 4-6 years of age.
- This vaccine is also recommended for the adults who have weaker immune systems and if they are in contact with an infected person. Other people who can take vaccine are as follows:
- Health Care workers
- Teachers of young children
- Daycare employees
- Pregnant woman
- People infected with HIV have weak immunity
So, take proper precautions and preventive measures to avoid chicken pox from getting spread. Also, use the above home remedies for chicken pox treatment.