The following article is about home remedies for cockroaches. Cockroach is a common pest which is found in almost every home. There is no as such reason of its occurrence. It is generally found near food and stores where paperwork is done. Roaches are nocturnal, which means they are active at night only. They generally prefer a moist and dark place where they can easily feed and hide.
Stoves, sinks, inside the motor, under floor drains, back of the refrigerator, under rubber mats and wall cracks are some of the places where roaches are found. Moreover, they have flat body surface so they can hide in narrow areas as well. Since they are active only at night so they are not identified easily. So if you find roaches eggs and feces which looks like the coffee ground or black paper and unpleasant smell in your house or vicinity that means your home has become the shelter for these pests also. Roaches not only destroy the valuable articles such as paper clothes, electric appliances but also carry germs which further develop into serious diseases. Once the cockroach enters into your house, it will start multiplying.To know more about cockroaches and different home remedies to for cockroaches, keep reading this article
Types of Cockroaches:
There are four types of cockroaches. Each of them is found in different countries and have different body color. Different types of roaches are:
- Oriental Cockroach or Water Bugs – Oriental cockroaches reside in water. They are found in drains and sewers. Their body is shiny and dark colored.
- American Cockroach – American cockroach has a reddish brown colored body. It is the largest species of the roaches.
- Brownbanded Cockroach – Brownbanded cockroaches are brown in color with the banding on their wings.
- German Cockroach – Their body is in the oval shape and has six legs and antennae. German cockroach has stripes on the back and is light brown in color.
For causes of cockroach infestation refer “How to Get Rid of Cockroaches”.
Diseases Caused by Cockroaches:
- Cockroach infestation triggers asthma.
- Pathogens such as E. Coli and Salmonella, which cause acute food poisoning are found in the body of the roaches.
- Small cockroaches can also enter in the nose and ears when humans are in deep sleep. And lead serious problems.
- Cockroaches germs which aggravate several allergies.
Home Remedies for Cockroaches:
1.) Keep your House Clean
Cleanliness is the basic home remedy for cockroaches. Cover your drain pipes since cockroaches tend to enter through water source only. Roaches are attracted to messy households is just a myth because wherever they find moisture, darkness, and warmth, they start living there and in no time they multiply. But still, spilled food is the bonus for them. So make sure that you do not leave the food uncovered. Cover your food properly or transfer them into an airtight jar. Throw the garbage regularly. And, clean your dustbins and sinks daily to avoid roach infestation.
2.) Identify the Site
Before starting with remedies, look for the locations from where cockroaches enter in your home. Cockroaches prefer a shelter, which is warm and has food and water. They can be found in cramped spaces in the walls, under the sink, garbage cane, water pipe and etc. After identifying the site look for the effective solution. Home remedies for cockroaches are the best way to get rid of the roaches.
3.) Borax to Trap Cockroaches
You can use Borax as bait to trap the cockroach. Make a dough of borax, sugar, and flour and then divide it into small balls. Keep the balls in the place where you suspect cockroach occurrence. It will not only kill the cockroach but when they will take it back to their nests, the eggs will also be destroyed. It is one of the best home remedies to treat cockroach infestation. However, keep it away from pets and kids, since it is harmful to them as well.
4.) Baking Soda to Get Rid of Cockroaches
Baking soda is a good substitute of borax. If you don’t find borax than you can use baking soda. Mix some baking soda with sugar. Sweets attract insects, thus, it can be used to have a hold on them and soda will counter the cockroaches. This home remedy will destroy the internal organs of the roaches and they will further die. To get rid of cockroaches completely follow this remedy religiously.
5.) Detergent as a Home Remedy for Cockroaches
Another effective home remedies for cockroaches is detergent. Yes, the same detergent that you use to clean your utensils. The solution of detergent will kill the cockroaches and thus, they won’t be able to multiply. This will eventually treat the cockroach infestation.
- Soapy water will enable the cockroaches to breathe.
- Mix a detergent with warm water in a bowl. Pour this solution into the spray bottle.
- Shake the bottle well before sprinkling the detergent on sites where cockroaches are found.
- P.S – Avoid children and pets contact with this solution.
6.) Ice Cream to Cure Roach Infestation
Yes, ice cream! Your favorite ice cream can also work as a home remedy to get rid of cockroach infestation. If in any case you don’t feel like eating ice-cream kept in your freezer then you can use it to trap the roaches living in your home. Ice-cream has sweetener which attracts the roaches. Once the ice cream is melted they won’t be able to escape and so gradually they will die.
7.) Pyrethrum Spray to Get Rid of Cockroaches
This spray might sound like a chemical spray which is not only expensive but also hard to find. But in contrary, it can be easily made at home. You have to just collect different flowers and extract their oil. Pour the oil into the spray bottle and spray near the roach nest. This spray is considered as a fastest home remedy to get rid of cockroaches.
8.) Mint to Cure Cockroaches Infestation
Mint is another kitchen item which can be used as a home remedy to kill pests like cockroaches. Mint leaves and essential oil both can be used to keep roaches at a bay. Mint has a strong smell that is not liked by the roaches and thus they will leave the place.
- You can mix essential oil along mint leaves and water to form a spray.
- Scatter the spray near water sources and other areas where cockroaches feed or hide.
9.) Catnip as Remedy for Cockroaches
Catnip also known as catmint works as a pest repellent. You can use either fresh catnip or dried part or can also make a tea of it and spray it like other home remedies. It keeps roaches away. No roaches mean no infestation and no germs spreading insects in the home!
10.) Garlic Work as a Natural Repellant
Like some people, roaches also cannot stand the smell of garlic. You just have to lay the garlic in any form near the areas which gives way to roaches and your problem will be solved at the earnest. It is one of the best home remedies for cockroaches.
11.) Bay Leaf to Allure the Pest
Bay leaf adds fragrance and good taste to the food. It also keeps the cockroaches away. Place the dried leaves around the nest or at suspected areas regularly to get rid of cockroaches.
12.) Petroleum Jelly as a Home Remedy for Cockroaches
You can use petroleum jelly to trap the cockroaches. Many of the beauty creams contain petroleum jelly, you can use them also. The scent of the jelly is enough to allure them and once they enter in the bottle full of petroleum jelly they won’t be able to escape.
13.) Listerine to Get Rid of Cockroaches
Listerine is also one of the best home remedies for cockroaches. Like killing germs in the mouth, it also comes handy for treating roach infestation as well. All you gave to do is.
- In a spray bottle mix some water and Listerine.
- Shake the bottle and spray the solution at the infested areas.
14.) Lemon to Treat Cockroach Infestation
Another home remedy that can help to get rid of cockroaches is a lemon. It contains anti-pathogenic properties. Moreover, it has a citric smell which is not liked by the cockroaches. To get rid of cockroaches with lemon, all you have to do is:
- Mix lemon juice and water and use this solution to mop the floors, bathrooms cabinets, kitchen and other areas.
- You can also use a mopping detergent which has a strong lemon essence.
15.) Coffee as a Remedy for Cockroaches
A solution of water and coffee work a pest deterrent and one of the wonderful remedies for cockroaches. When this solution is spilled the cockroaches are not abler to breathe and this they die. All you have to do is:
- In a spray bottle mix coffee and water.
- Spray this solution around the infested site.
- To get rid of cockroaches from the root spray it regularly 2-3 times day.