If you are a parent of a child, then it is a big challenge for you to handle them. When someone visits your home and your baby cry continuously, then it would be a problematic situation for you and for your baby as well. This problem is basically known as colic in babies. I know you are looking for a solution. In this article, you will find some home remedies for colic in babies.
Colic is not a disease, it is an uncontrollable crying in a baby. It will not harm your baby. Baby may cry three hours a day, three days a week and for three weeks. It probably starts at around age two weeks and goes away on around three or four months.
Symptoms of Colic in Babies:
- Intense Crying- Due to excessive and intensive crying baby’s face becomes red and flushed.
- Sleeping- Baby will not be able to sleep while crying. Due to excessive crying, sleep may be interrupted.
- Feeding- Feeding may also be irregular while intense crying.
- Wind- During excessive crying, the baby may pass the wind.
- Baby’s Posture- Knees drawn up, the back arched, tensed abdominal muscles and fists may be clenched.
Causes of Colic in Babies:
- A changeable mood of the baby.
- Gas problem
- Develop nervous system.
- Muscles spasm during growing digestive system.
- Changes in hormones that cause stomach pain.
- Over-sensitivity by light, noise etc.
Best Home Remedies for Colic in Babies:
- Best Home Remedies for Colic in Babies:
- 1.) Peppermint for Colic in Babies
- 2) Chamomile Tea to Get Rid of Colic in Babies Naturally
- 3) Warm Bath to Treat Colic in Babies Fast
- 4) Warm Compress to Stop Colic in Babies Fast
- 5) Oil Massage to Get Rid of Colic in Babies
- 6) Knee Pushing Exercise to Prevent Colic in Babies
- 7) Burp Your Baby to Treat Colic in Babies
- 8) Asafetida to Remove Colic in Babies
- 9) Basil for the Treatment of Colic in Babies
- 10) Fennel Seeds for Colic in Babies
Home remedies will help you to get rid of colic in babies.
1.) Peppermint for Colic in Babies
Peppermint has antiseptic and calming properties, which helps to reduce digestive conditions in infants.
Steps to Use Peppermint to Treat Colic in Babies:
- Use peppermint oil for massaging your baby’s abdominal area.
- Take two drops of peppermint oil and one tablespoon of any baby massage oil and mix them.
- Then do massage with this oil in circular motions.
- An alternative method, you can use one tablespoon of dried peppermint leaves in a cup of boiling water. Let it cool for ten minutes. Breastfeeding mothers can drink this tea two or three times a day. This will help to stop crying babies.
2) Chamomile Tea to Get Rid of Colic in Babies Naturally
Chamomile is one of the best natural remedies that can help to remove colic in infants. Chamomile has seductive and antiseptic properties which help to relieve intestinal cramping and induce relaxation.
Steps to Use Chamomile Tea to Cure Colic in Babies:
- Boil some water and add some chamomile flowers into it.
- Cool it down for ten minutes.
- Feed 1 teaspoon tea to your baby throughout the day.
3) Warm Bath to Treat Colic in Babies Fast
In colicky times, you need to give your baby a warm bath. This will help to divert and make your baby sleepy as well as give a soothing effect.
Steps to Giving Warm Bath:
- Your baby’s bathtub should be filled with warm water.
- Pour some drops of lavender oil into this warm water. Use this water to bathe your baby.
- While bathing your baby, massage the tummy area softly to relieve pain.
- Use a soft towel to dry your baby, then help to sleep him.
4) Warm Compress to Stop Colic in Babies Fast
Warm compress is the another way to help a colicky baby. Apply it on baby’s tummy to provide relief from the gas. It gives the soothing effect.
Steps to Use Warm Compress to Cure Colic in Babies:
- Take a soft towel and put it into warm water and extract the excess water.
- Put the warm towel on the baby’s tummy.
- You can also rub the towel gently in circular motions for a few minutes. Follow this remedy two times a day to help in gas movement.
5) Oil Massage to Get Rid of Colic in Babies
Regular massage plays a vital role for any baby suffering from colic pain. Massage helps to keep the baby warm, prevent gas and also proper digestion. Also, it will help to sleep your baby.
Steps to Do Massage for Colic in Babies:
- Take some olive oil in your hands.
- Massage the baby’s tummy in a clockwise direction.
- Also, massage the hands, feet and pelvis. Do this procedure several times a day to treat colic in babies.
6) Knee Pushing Exercise to Prevent Colic in Babies
Exercise is necessary for your baby for proper digestion. Knee pushes are one of the best exercises which help a lot in relieving colic pain in babies.
Steps to do Knee Pushing Exercise:
- Your baby should be in a lying position for this exercise.
- Then hold your baby’s both knees together.
- Bend the baby’s legs at the knees and push them towards the tummy.
- Hold the baby’s legs in this position for a count of 4 to 6. Follow this procedure several times a day.
7) Burp Your Baby to Treat Colic in Babies
After feeding, always burp your baby to prevent colic pain. Burping is helpful to release gas and stop air pockets from forming in the stomach.
Steps to Burp your Baby to Treat Colic in Babies:
- After feeding, hold your baby against your shoulder.
- Use your other hand to support your baby’s neck and head properly.
- Then, rub your baby’s tummy and back properly and gently, until you hear a small burping sound.
- Put your baby down. After each feeding, follow this procedure to prevent colic.
8) Asafetida to Remove Colic in Babies
Asafetida is the best and effective home remedy for colic. It acts as an aids digestion, anti-flatulent and helpful to relieve gas.
Steps to Use Asafetida to Treat Colic in Babies Fast:
- Take one teaspoon of water and add a pinch of asafetida powder to it.
- Then, heat up the solution. Let it cool down.
- Gently rub this solution near your baby’s naval but do not put it in the baby’s navel.
- For best results, repeat this treatment two or three times a day.
- An alternative method, breastfeeding mothers can mix a half tablespoon of asafetida powder to a glass of warm water and drink it twice a day.
9) Basil for the Treatment of Colic in Babies
Basil is a herb which is very beneficial in treating colic. It is rich in eugenol, which has sedative and antiseptic properties that help in expelling gastrointestinal discomforts.
Steps to Use Basil to Cure Colic in Babies Naturally:
- Boil a cup of water and add 1 teaspoon of dried basil leaves into it.
- Cover it for ten minutes.
- Strain the basil leaves and let it cool down.
- Feed one to two spoons of this tea to your baby, a few times daily.
- Mothers who are breastfeeding can also have this tea two to three times a day.
- An alternate method is to make a paste of one tablespoon of basil leaves with a little water. Apply this paste near your baby’s navel and abdomen. Let it dry, then use a tissue to wipe it off. Repeat this treatment as much as needed.
10) Fennel Seeds for Colic in Babies
Fennel seed is a wonderful herb for colicky babies. It can relieve gas and alleviate stomach related problems. It is also beneficial for breastfeeding mothers.
Steps to Use Fennel Seeds to Get Rid of Colic in Babies:
- Mix one teaspoon of crushed fennel seeds in one cup of hot water.
- Cover it for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Then strain this solution.
- It should be given half to one teaspoon of this herbal tea 3 times a day.
- A breastfeeding mother can also drink this herbal tea. Use this remedy on a daily basis.
Additional Useful Tips:
- Lie your baby on tummy side for 15 to 20 minutes daily.
- Breastfeeding mothers should include yogurt in meal to improve their own as well as baby’s digestive system.
- Keep your baby in motion to stop them from frying.
- Playing soothing music is also helpful to calm a colicky baby.
- Try to change your baby’s milk formula.
- Feed your baby as much as needed and don’t forget about the burping.
- Breastfeeding mothers should avoid chocolate and caffeine and should follow a healthy diet.