In this article we will discuss home remedies for cough. A cough is a reaction which helps to clear the breathing passage from obstructions like mucus, foreign particles, irritants and microbes. By doing so, your body tries to keep the throat and airway passage clear. When you cough, first you breath in, secondly, you forcibly breath out against a closed glottis. This action strongly expel the air from the lungs by opening the glottis. Coughing is generally an infrequent action. It can be intended or unintended. Frequent coughing may indicate an underlying disease. Remember coughing is only an indication and not a disease. Coughing is productive too. It is productive if the mucus inside may have drained in the throat due to nasal congestion or sinus, or may have come out from the lungs. A productive cough brings out phlegm or mucus. This productive cough should not be suppressed as it clear mucus from the lungs. There are many home remedies for cough listed below. But before moving on to remedies, let us know about types, causes and symptoms of coughing.
Types of Coughing
Coughing can be of three types:
- Acute Coughing – Coughing, for less than 3 weeks comes under acute cough. Such coughing usually occurs due to the cold, flu or sinus infection. Generally it gets better in and around three weeks.
- Sub-Acute Coughing – Sub-acute cough refers to the coughing which lasts for no less than 3 weeks and no more than 8 weeks.
- Chronic Coughing – Coughing which lasts for more than 8 weeks is classified as Chronic coughing.
Causes of Coughing
- Infection (Throat, lung)
- Clearing the throat
- Chronic Lung Disease
- Nasal Discharge
- Smoke, Dust and Pollution
- Viruses and bacteria
- GERD (Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease)
- Chronic bronchitis
- Sinus Problem
Symptoms of Coughing
- Shortness of breath
- Chest pain
- Blood in cough
- Weird taste in mouth
- Stuffy or runny nose
- Dryness in mouth
- Frequent clearing of throat.
- Irritation in throat
Home Remedies for Cough Treatment
1.) Ginger as a Remedy to Prevent Coughing
Generally, ginger is the first thing that comes to mind to get rid of a cough. Ginger helps in soothing your throat and lungs. It improves immunity and helps in removing mucus. There are many ways to use ginger to get rid of coughing. Below you can find some method to use ginger.
- Take 1 tsp of fresh grated ginger and add them in a cup of water.
- Simmer it for 5 to 10 minutes and drink it.
- Take 1/2 tsp of dry ginger powder and mix it with 1 cup of hot water.
- Let it infuse for a few minutes and drink it.
- Add honey or lemon for added benefits.
- Take 3-4 cups daily until your cough is gone.
- You can even chew raw ginger several times a day to reduce your cough.
- You can make a ginger massage oil as it helps in reducing mucus from the body.
- Just mix 8 tbsp of castor oil with 25 drops of ginger essential oil.
- Massage with this oil on the chest and back to reduce mucus from lungs.
- Your skin might be sensitive to this oil. So, run a test on a small patch of your skin for 24 hours before using it.
2.) Honey as a Remedy for Chest Cough Treatment
Like ginger, honey is another herb which is very effective as a remedy for cough treatment. Due to honey’s high viscous property, it helps to stick to the throat for long. This helps in soothing irritated throat and mucous membranes. Honey is also an efficient anti-bacterial herb. It is very helpful to protect and eliminate bacterial infection in your throat.
- Just take 1 tsp of honey 3-4 times a day to get rid of cough fast.
- Go for raw, unprocessed honey for best results as processed honey may not be as effective as raw. It is because of refining reduces the effectiveness of a product.
- You can get raw honey from your local farmer market.
- It is also one of the best cough remedies for kids.
3.) Steam as a Remedy for Dry Cough Treatment
Steam should not be underestimated in case of curing cough or cold. Benefits of steam are not just limited to loosening mucus and phlegm (quickly). Including some essential oil will add stars to this quick and simple home remedy. Essential oil having anti-bacterial, anti-viral, anti-inflammatory properties when taken with steam can be more effective. It is because, inhalation will make them reach into your lungs directly. To prepare this remedy, follow below mentioned steps.
- Take sufficient amount of water to boil.
- Add a few drops of an essential oil (tea tree or eucalyptus oil) in it.
- Stir it to release the vapors.
- Lean your face over the bowl at a fair distance.
- Use a clean big towel to cover your head and bowl completely so that all vapor is available to inhale.
- Inhale deeply to let the vapor reach out more into your body.
- Do this everyday for 15 to 20 minutes until your cough is gone.
4.) Garlic as a Remedy for Cough Treatment
Garlic is known to have anti-microbial and anti-bacterial properties. It is considered to be one of the best natural cough remedies. It helps in fighting and reducing bacterial infection in the throat and lungs.
- Just boil 3 to 5 cloves of fresh garlic in a cup of water for a few minutes.
- Leave it to cool down a bit.
- Add honey for taste plus honey’s soothing properties.
- For added benefits, add oregano to it.
- Drink it 2-3 times a day.
- Alternatively, you can eat a clove of crushed garlic mixed with clove oil and a little bit of honey to treat sore throat.
5.) Turmeric as a Remedy for Dry Cough Treatment
The healing properties of turmeric are very effective in dry cough condition. Turmeric has been in use as a remedy for ages. Turmeric has therapeutic effect on coughing. There are many ways to use turmeric.
- Add one tsp of turmeric in a cup of water with 1 tsp of black pepper.
- Boil it for 3 to 5 minutes.
- You can also add cinnamon (during boiling) and honey to it.
- You can make an herbal tea by adding turmeric powder and carom seeds (1 tsp each) in a cup of water.
- Boil it for 3 -5 minutes.
- Add honey if you want to.
- Drink 2-3 cups a day until condition improves.
6.) Lemon as a Remedy for Chronic Cough Treatment
Lemon is known to diminish the inflammation. It also helps in preventing infection due to the presence of Vitamin C. A simple, quick and effective remedy can be made using lemon. Here is the method.
- Mix 2 tbsp of lemon juice and 1 tbsp of honey to make a syrup.
- Drink this nutritious syrup 3-4 times a day until your condition improves.
7.) Milk as a Remedy for Cough Treatment
Milk does not need any introduction for health benefits. It is one of the essential part of our daily nutrient requirement. In case of coughing, drinking warm milk helps to bring up the mucus from the chest and breathing tract. And, along with honey, it is one of the best natural cough remedies.
- Mix 1 tsp of honey to a glass of milk and drink it before going to sleep.
- This helps in relaxing and soothing the respiratory tract and improving condition faster.
8.) Carrot Juice to Get Rid of Dry Coughing
Carrot contains variety of nutrients which help in treating different signs of cough. Carrot juice is an excellent source of nutrients which can also play a major role in controlling pertussis. Pertussis or whooping cough is a bacterial infection, which leads to a long-term severe coughing. It is especially harmful for kids.
- Take some Fresh carrot to make a juice.
- Drink this juice 3 to 4 times a day for successful results.
- Add 1 tsp of raw honey to increase the efficiency of juice to get rid of cough faster.
- It is one of the best cough remedies for kids.
9.) Almonds to Get rid of Dry Cough Treatment
Almonds are useful in the treatment of the dry cough condition. It also helps in preventing recurrence of cough again and again. Almonds works as an ideal antioxidants as well. Here is the method to do it.
- Soak 5 to 10 almonds in water for overnight.
- Next morning, make a fine paste of it and add a teaspoon of butter to it.
- Eat this healthy mixture daily 3-4 times.
- Consume daily until the coughing goes away.
10.) Lozenges for Cough Treatment
Cough lozenges are another useful remedy for cough. These are quite useful for treating sore throat, reducing irritation, soothing and preventing dryness of throat. However, lozenges are effective only for a short time and mild conditions. You can suck these candies for mild coughs. You can get some candies in different flavors such as ginger, menthol, orange, honey and many more. These are also among the best cough remedies for kids.