In this article, you will read about the causes, symptoms and some useful home remedies for bloating. Bloating is a feeling of tightness and fullness in the tummy. Bloating can make one feel uneasy and gaseous. It makes the tummy to appear swollen. Bloating results from swallowing air. It also results from gas that is produced during the breaking of food in the intestine. When this gas is unable to pass through belching or flatulence (accumulation of gas in alimentary canal), it piles up in the intestine and thus result in bloating. Bloating is mainly related to the digestive system. Improper digestion is responsible for abdominal gas and bloating. However, it is very common to get bloating once in a while. But, if it starts to occur more often, then you need to take it seriously. As frequent bloating can also be a symptom of an underlying disease. So, timely treatment is must to get rid of bloating easily and quickly. Here, we have listed some of the best home remedies for bloating. These remedies are simple and quite effective to get rid of bloating. Before that let us know about the causes and signs of bloating.
Causes of Bloating:
All causes of bloating are related to your digestive system. Below are some of the causes which hamper your digestion process and result in bloating.
- Foods, which takes time to digest (fatty foods).
- Swallowing air
- Eating fast and without chewing properly.
- Imbalance of friendly bacteria presents in our intestine that helps in breaking food.
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Menstruation and menopause
- Drinking fizzy drinks
- High intake of sodium
- Overweight or obesity
- Smoking and drinking alcohol
- Eating gas forming foods
- Allergic to some food
- Lactose intolerance
- Gluten Intolerance
- Stress or anxiety
- Chewing gum
- Drinking through a straw.
- Gastrointestinal infection
Symptoms of Bloating:
Identifying bloating is easy, these symptoms can be same for various other problems also. So, not to confine them for bloating and gas only. Below are the symptoms associated with gas and bloating.
- Mild to severe pain in abdomen.
- Fullness in abdomen
- Swollen appearance of your tummy.
- Shortness of breathing
- Uneasy feeling
- Passing of gas, voluntarily or involuntarily, either through flatus or belches.
- Pain in lower back
- Shifting pain
- Muscle contraction in abdomen.
- Not able to sleep
Home Remedies for Bloating:
- Home Remedies for Bloating:
- 1.) Lemon as a Remedy for Bloating and Gas
- 2.) Ginger as a Remedy for Bloating Stomach and Gas
- 3.) Bay Leaves as a Remedy for Bloating Gas and Flatulence
- 4.) Peppermint Tea as a Remedy for Gas and Bloating
- 5.) Pumpkin as a Remedy for Bloating and Constipation
- 6.) Banana as a Remedy for Bloating Gas and Flatulence
- 7.) Baking Soda to Get Rid of Bloating Naturally and Fast
- 8.) Black Salt as a Remedy for Bloating Gas and Flatulence
- 9.) Clove Oil to Get Rid of Bloating Fast and Naturally
- 10.) Mint Tea as a Remedy for Bloating Stomach and Gas
Getting rid of bloating is easy if you are able to improve the digestion process. With the help of below mentioned remedies for bloating, you can easily improve the digestion process efficiently and effectively.
1.) Lemon as a Remedy for Bloating and Gas
Lemon is one of the excellent remedies for bloating and gas treatment. Lemon is very effective in treating bloating caused due to food consumption. Lemon’s acidic nature helps in digestion of juices and acids which are responsible for producing gas. Lemon helps in process of breaking food. It detoxifies and improves the digestion. Proper digestion of foods prevent bloating.
- Drinking warm lemon water in the morning will help you improve bowel movement.
- You can drink it after your meal too.
- Adding honey in lemon water will give you added benefits of honey.
2.) Ginger as a Remedy for Bloating Stomach and Gas
Ginger helps in enhancing your digestion. Ginger contains gingerols, which ease the digestion process. Ginger influences the swallowed air and gas formed due to indigestion. It also prevents the production of enemy bacteria in your colon.
- Add small pieces (5-8) of ginger into a cup of water, steep it for 10 minutes.
- You can add a few drops of lemon and 1 tsp of honey in it for enhancing its efficiency.
- Drink it 2 to 3 times a day.
- Eat freshly grated ginger prior to every meal.
- You can also sprinkle ginger over your meal.
3.) Bay Leaves as a Remedy for Bloating Gas and Flatulence
Bay leaves are one of the simple and easiest home remedies for bloating gas and flatulence. Bay leaves are known for its anti-oxidant, antiseptic, digestive qualities. Such qualities help in treating bloating issues. They are also known to have anti-cancer properties.
- Take one bay leaf and boil in one cup of water for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Leave it to cool a bit, strain it and drink it in one go.
- Remember not to lie for next one hour after drinking this, sit upright.
- Sitting upright will let gas expel faster.
4.) Peppermint Tea as a Remedy for Gas and Bloating
Peppermint tea is considered to have plenty of benefits for a better health and bloating. It helps in soothing muscles of your body and also helps to get rid of gas. It improves bowel syndrome, reduces flatulence and heartburn. It promotes digestion as well. It is one of the best home remedies for bloating.
- Take some fresh peppermint leaves (4 to 5) and boil in 1 cup of water for 5 minutes.
- Strain it and drink.
- You can also add honey for added benefits.
- Instead, buy peppermint tea bag and drink 3 to 4 times a day.
5.) Pumpkin as a Remedy for Bloating and Constipation
Generally a slow and improper digestion is the reason behind the gas and bloating condition. Foods which are high in fiber takes time to digest. Fibrous foods are tough to break for the small intestine, so it is passed into the large intestine. In large intestine, friendly bacteria break the fibrous food easily. When the food is broken into smaller piece, it results in production of mixture of gases. In such cases, pumpkin helps to reduce and eliminate the formation of gas.
- Eat one cup of pumpkin with your meal.
- It will help in getting rid of bloating faster.
- You can eat baked, steamed, broiled pumpkin or can also try your own pumpkin recipe.
- Pumpkin is also useful for constipation.
6.) Banana as a Remedy for Bloating Gas and Flatulence
Gas is not the reason always for your bloating. Intake of sodium in high quantity can also cause your tummy to get bloated. Sodium can be found the food served in restaurant, canteen and other food joints. Sodium is responsible for water retention in the body. In this type of case, potassium can help prevent sodium from causing bloating. To maintain water balance, it is necessary to balance the level of sodium and potassium in the body.
- Eating banana can help you to get rid of bloating as it contains potassium.
- Eat 2-3 banana a day to prevent bloating.
7.) Baking Soda to Get Rid of Bloating Naturally and Fast
Baking soda is useful for stomach ailments. It is one of the best home remedies for bloating. baking soda helps in neutralizing the acid causing stomach problems like gas, bloating, acidity, stomach upset, etc. It helps in easing the belches and flatulence to expel gas out of the body. Thus, providing relief from gas and bloating.
- Mix 1 tsp of baking soda in a glass of water.
- Stir well to let it dissolve properly.
- Drink it daily to get rid of bloating problem.
- Add baking soda to lemon juice and leave it until the fizz disappears.
- Then add this in a glass of water and drink it slowly.
8.) Black Salt as a Remedy for Bloating Gas and Flatulence
Black salt helps in relieving you from the heaviness caused by bloating in your stomach. It is one of the easiest remedies for bloating after eating. Black salt is also beneficial for proper digestion.
- Just mix 1tsp of each black salt, asafetida, dry ginger, and cardamom powder. Mix all these ingredients.
- Take 1/2 tsp of this mixture for quick relief from bloating.
- Mix 1 tsp of each black salt and lemon juice in a glass of warm water.
- Drink it 2-3 times a day to get rid of bloating naturally.
9.) Clove Oil to Get Rid of Bloating Fast and Naturally
If you are feeling bloating along with nausea, go for clove oil. Clove oil is also one of the best home remedies for bloating treatment. It has antiseptic, antibacterial properties which soothes the digestive tract. Hence providing you relief from various problem causing bloating.
- Mix a few drops of clove oil in a cup of water and drink it to avoid bloating.
- Regular drinking this clove oil mixture will help get rid of bloating fast.
- Instead, add some cloves in boiling water and steep it for 5-10 minutes.
- Drink it once everyday.
- You can go for Eucalyptus as a substitute for clove oil.
10.) Mint Tea as a Remedy for Bloating Stomach and Gas
Mint tea is also useful in overcoming indigestion and bloating. It has soothing and cooling properties which helps in soothing gas and bloating problem. It is also beneficial for improving digestion.
- Just add 1 tsp of dried mint or 4 to 5 mint leaves in 1 cup of boiling water.
- Steep it for 5 to 10 minutes. Allow it to cool.
- Strain and drink it 2 to 3 cups in a day for best results.
- You can add honey as well for enhancing its efficiency to get rid of bloating stomach and gas.
You can also read the article how to get rid of diarrhea fast & overnight?