In this article, we will talk about the home remedies for curing constipation in infants. For a mother, there is nothing more to her than the little one. The infant requires great care. He always has to be immune to all kinds of diseases and health problems. One of the most frequent problems that affects babies is constipation. Nothing can be more painful for a baby if there is no bowel movement. The babies painful tears are the last thing that the parents want to see. Constipation in babies mostly occurs when solid food is introduced to their diet. It could also be a result of some kind of stomach infection. To cure constipation in infants, home remedies are among the best options. But it is still advised to consult your doctor. Here we present to you some of the finest remedies for the same. So that your baby smiles and laughs again. Read the article and know the best home remedies for curing constipation in infants.
Causes of Constipation in Infants
Dietary Changes: A drastic change in diet can be disruptive to the digestive tract of the infant. For example, a switch from breast feeding to processed foods. Try those processed food in the start which are light and healthy for the child. Decrease in the intake of fluids also leads to constipation.
Emotional Stress: Just like adults, when babies are also going through a negative patch of behavior or going through emotional stress they get constipated. Emotional stress causes problem in passing stools.
Dehydration: Make sure your baby is well hydrated especially once you stop breast feeding. Give sufficient amount of water and diluted juice to encourage bowel movements.
Nutrition Intake: Insufficient intake of nutrition is also one of the reasons for constipation in infants. You need to add lots of fiber in your baby’s diet to add bulk and encourage bowel movements.
Home Remedies for Curing Constipation in Infants:
- Home Remedies for Curing Constipation in Infants:
- 1.) Olive Oil as a Home Remedy for Curing Constipation in Infants
- 2.) Castor Oil as a Home Remedy for Curing Constipation in Infants
- 3.) Milk as a Home Remedy for Curing Constipation in Infants
- 4.) Massage as a Home Remedy for Curing Constipation in Infants
- 5.) Heat Treatment as a Home Remedy for Curing Constipation in Infants
- 6.) Apple Juice as a Home Remedy for Curing Constipation in Infants
- 7.) Brown Sugar as a Home Remedy for Curing Constipation in Infants
- 8.) Lubrication as a Home Remedy for Curing Constipation in Infants
- 9.) High Fiber Foods as a Home Remedy for Curing Constipation in Infants
- 10.) Raisins as a Home Remedy for Curing Constipation in Infants
- 11.) Prune Juice to Get Rid of Constipation in Infants
- 12.) Exercise to Cure Constipation in Infants
- 13.) Herbal Teas to Treat Constipation in Infants
- 14.) Diet to Get Rid of Constipation in Infants
- 15.) Milk of Magnesia to Get Rid Constipation in Infants
1.) Olive Oil as a Home Remedy for Curing Constipation in Infants
Olive oil is more than just a healthy cooking oil. It can also help relieve constipation. It’s not really unexpected when you consider olive oil’s viscosity. It helps your digestive system to release the bowel by regulating the colon. For adults consuming olive oil directly can work. Bur for infants, it is advised to mix it up with the appropriate solution. Give it to them first thing in the morning.
2.) Castor Oil as a Home Remedy for Curing Constipation in Infants
Another oil that is most commonly used as a remedy for relieving constipation in infants is castor oil. For this one, all you have to do is just follow the steps below:
- Dip the stalk of the betel leaf in castor oil.
- Now place it in the rectum of the baby.
- There will be instant relief and smooth bowel movement.
3.) Milk as a Home Remedy for Curing Constipation in Infants
While milk is not advised for adults during digestive problems, it works well for kids. Just follow the simple steps below and relive your little one of the misery:
- Take a glass of milk and add 3 teaspoons of honey.
- Stir the solution well and give it to your infant on an empty stomach.
- Stools will be able to pass easily.
4.) Massage as a Home Remedy for Curing Constipation in Infants
Massaging your baby’s tummy is another useful remedy for curing constipation in babies. The massage is known to stimulate bowel movements. They can even relieve the gas and the pain associated with the condition is also treated well. Follow these steps below for the right massage technique:
- Put your baby in a reclining position.
- Apply warm olive oil on your baby’s stomach.
- With a two finger gaps away from the navel, gently massage the stomach in a clockwise direction for some time.
- Massage several times a day, until your child is relieved of constipation.
5.) Heat Treatment as a Home Remedy for Curing Constipation in Infants
A nice relaxing warm bath can help get rid of constipation in babies. It serves by relieving the body efficiently and helps brings relief from gas pain. Just follow these steps to help your baby get rid of constipation:
- Fill up your baby’s bathtub with lukewarm water.
- Immerse your baby in the water.
- Give a soothing tummy massage when you are done.
- There will be immediate relief.
6.) Apple Juice as a Home Remedy for Curing Constipation in Infants
Apple juice has a mild laxative influence which you can give to your baby. For the infant, a small quantity will help get rid of constipation as it has a mild laxative effect. It also contains pectin that promotes regular bowel movements. Make sure not to over do it for it can have its side effects. Also, note that apple juice should not be replaced with applesauce as it is harmful for constipation treatment.
7.) Brown Sugar as a Home Remedy for Curing Constipation in Infants
Research has shown that brown sugar can be used to treat constipated in infants. It promotes the softening of the stool. So, the bowel movement can be smooth. To use it effectively, follow the steps below:
- Just add brown sugar in boiled water.
- Stir the mixture well until the sugar dissolves completely.
- Give this liquid to your baby at least 3 times a day, before providing any solid food.
8.) Lubrication as a Home Remedy for Curing Constipation in Infants
Lubrication can help ease the colon and can provide a smooth passage for the bowel movement. It has constantly been one of the most common home remedies for this condition in adults. Follow the steps below, to use a the lubricant treatment:
- Apply a water-based lubricant to your baby’s anus.
- Let it ease the anal passage, and wait for it to smoothen up the problem.
- Bowel will move out smoothly after some time.
9.) High Fiber Foods as a Home Remedy for Curing Constipation in Infants
A diet high on fiber help soften the stools by absorbing more water. The water makes them heavier and makes it easier to pass. For infants that have been introduced to a solid food based diet, high fiber foods can help. You could include any of the following foods for your baby to get him his intake of fiber:
- Fruits and vegetables like broccoli, pears, and apples are effective
- Try baby cereals that are known to contain barley or bran.
10.) Raisins as a Home Remedy for Curing Constipation in Infants
Raisins act as natural laxatives which are known to ease constipation in infants by smoothening up the stool to move freely. Give them to you infants by using the following procedure:
- Just soak some raisins in water and keep them soaked overnight.
- Mash them well in the morning and add a little water to make a paste.
- Give the raisin liquid to infant and he will be free from constipation.
11.) Prune Juice to Get Rid of Constipation in Infants
This is one of the excellent choices to get rid of constipation in infants. Prunes contain high amounts of fiber which not only add bulk to the stool but also encourage its passage through the digestive tract of the baby. It also has mild sorbitol helps in the creation and release of stools. Sorbital is actually a colonic stimulant and that is why it helps in curing constipation. Here are some steps that you need to follow to cure constipation.
- In 1oz of prune juice mix 4oz of formula milk. Feed your baby with this daily. This treatment is to be followed if your baby is older than 4 months.
- If your baby is less than 4 months, then mix just one tablespoon of prune juice with 4oz of milk. Feed your baby with this milk on a regular basis to notice the difference.
12.) Exercise to Cure Constipation in Infants
Exercise is one of the best methods to cure constipation in infants. It not only strengthens the body of the baby but also gives relief from constipation. The best thing about exercises is that it is 100% safe and there are no side effects. Here are some exercises that you can make your baby try to get quick relief.
- Hold your baby in your arms in a squat position. It should look like as if your baby is squatting on your forearm like a frog. This will exert a little pressure on your baby’s rectum and the baby will be able to defecate easily.
- Make your baby lie down on its back. Bent the baby’s leg half. Now, move the legs as if the baby is paddling. Keep moving the legs at a steady pace. Children enjoy bicycling a lot and also loosen the intestines. Try both of these exercises daily to solve the problem of constipation completely.
13.) Herbal Teas to Treat Constipation in Infants
This is one of the best home remedies to treat constipation in infants. Here is a list of some herbal teas that you can try to give your baby relief from constipation.
Chamomile Tea: Take a cup of hot water and soak a chamomile tea bag in it. Let it brew for about 15 to 20 minutes. Feed your kid with this herbal tea to give him relief from constipation.
Peppermint Tea: Heat a cup of water and soak a peppermint tea bag in it. Leave if for the next 5 minutes. Store this tea in your baby’s bottle. Besides the regular feedings, also give your baby this peppermint tea to cure constipation completely.
Ginger Tea: This is another perfect choice to treat constipation in infants. Crush some ginger root and add it in a cup of hot water. Brew it for the next 5 to 10 minutes. Strain this tea and leave it to cool down. Feed your baby with this ginger tea to treat constipation completely.
14.) Diet to Get Rid of Constipation in Infants
Giving a proper diet to your baby actually reduces the risk of constipation. Bran cereals, spinach, raw tomatoes, beans, sweet potatoes, vegetable soups and fruit juices. You need to include all this in your daily diet to ease the problem of constipation. The diet of your baby depends on its age factor.
- If your baby is less than 2 months, then obviously you cannot feed him anything that is prepared outside. At that time it is better you consult your doctor.
- It is suggested to give your baby 3 ounces of water and sometimes 2 ounces of grape juice or apple juice. This is the case if your baby is 2 months or older.
- If the infant is 4 months or older, then feed him/her with solid food. Try to include high fiber foods in your daily diet such as spinach, beans, peaches etc.
- It is suggested to feed your baby with pureed foods. Make sure there are no lumps in the food. This suggestion is applicable for kids who are 5 to 10 months old.
- If your infant is one year old, then feed the baby with mashed foods. If your food has lumps, then also there is no problem.
Precaution: Do not give diluted juice or additional sugar syrups. Go for only one thing at a time.
15.) Milk of Magnesia to Get Rid Constipation in Infants
This is one of the effective remedies to get rid of constipation in infants. Milk of magnesia forces the colon to distend and absorb water from the body. This causes the muscles to contract and the stool is passed easily. All you need to do is add one teaspoon of milk of magnesia to your baby’s bottle.
Note: Make sure you do not feed your baby with milk of magnesia on a daily basis as it is very dehydrating and can cause electrolyte imbalance.
Conditions When You Need to Consult the Doctor
- Continous vomiting
- Loose stools
- Stomach pain continues
- Frequent problem
- Rectal bleeding
- Weakness of the muscles
- Pain while passing a stool
- No home remedy is working
Quick Tips for Constipation
- Fix a toilet time for your baby and make him/her pass the stools every day.
- Keep the baby hydrated. Feed the baby with water and other fluids at regular interval of time.
- Include physical activities such as jumping, walking, running in your baby’s daily routine.
- Don’t give bananas, applesauce, potatoes, carrots, rice cereal and dairy products (except curd) if your child is suffering from constipation.
- Do not feed your baby with cow milk as some babies are unable to digest cow milk. Feed your baby with soya milk as it is easy to digest and is very nutritious.
- If you are feeding your baby with apple juice or any other juice, then make sure you dilute it with water. Feeding him/her directly with apple juice directly can cause bloating or gas.
- Don’t deprive your child with iron because it does not affect constipation but hampers the development of a child.
- If you are breast feeding your baby then remove dairy products from your daily diet.