In this article we will discuss different types of home remedies for diabetes. Diabetes mellitus, often known as diabetes, is a serious chronic condition or disease. Diabetes causes a high level of blood sugar. It has become a common health problem worldwide. Diabetes is caused due to imbalance in the production of insulin. According to National Diabetes Statistics Report, around 9 % of the Americans are suffering from diabetes. In 2010, 7th top cause of death in the USA was diabetes. Diabetes is caused due to the improper production and utilization of insulin. Insulin is a hormone produced by the pancreas. Insulin helps in converting sugar from carbohydrates into energy. Its another function is to prevent the blood sugar (glucose) level from getting too high (hyperglycemia) or too low (hypoglycemia). Once you get diabetes, you have to live with it for rest of your life. This is because there is no cure for Diabetes. But, one can live a happy and healthy life by keeping the blood sugar level in control. With a good and healthy lifestyle and including below home remedies for diabetes treatment, its easy to live your life fully. Before discussing remedies, let us know the types, causes and symptoms of Diabetes.
Types of Diabetes:
- Type 1 Diabetes is a kind of diabetes in which our body is not able to produce insulin at all.
- Type 2 Diabetes is a kind of diabetes in which our body is not able to produce sufficient amount of insulin or sometimes produced insulin does not act appropriately.
Causes of Diabetes:
- Environmental factors
- High level of blood sugar level.
- Lack of insulin production.
- Consuming sweet foods in excess.
- Sluggish metabolism rate
- Lack of physical activities and exercise.
Symptoms of Diabetes:
- Feeling thirsty a lot or dehydration.
- Increased appetite
- Vision disorder
- Upset stomach
- Craving for sweet
- Frequent urination, especially during night.
- Wounds or bruises that won’t heal.
Home Remedies for Diabetes Treatment Naturally
1.) Indian Gooseberries as an Effective Home Remedy to Treat Diabetes
Indian gooseberries are known to be rich in Vitamin C content. It helps promote proper function of pancreas. It also helps regulate the blood sugar levels in the body. It works as a strong antioxidant by protecting the body against the free radicals that contributes to the causes of diabetes. Here are the method to consume gooseberries.
Directions to Use Indian Gooseberries:
- Add 1 tsp of Indian gooseberry in a cup of bitter gourd juice.
- Drink it regularly for a couple of months.
- Take 2-3 Indian gooseberries and grind them to make a fine paste.
- Remember to remove seeds before grinding.
- Keep the paste in a light cloth, Squeeze out the juice in a cup.
- Add 2 tbsp of this squeezed juice in 1 cup of water,
- Drink it every morning on an empty stomach.
2.) Mango Leaves as a Natural Remedy for Diabetes Treatment
The leaves of mango are quite useful to treat diabetes naturally. It helps regulate levels of insulin in the blood. It also helps in promoting and improving the blood lipid profile. It is among the best home remedies for diabetes. Here is the method.
Directions to Use Mango Leaves:
- Take some mango leaves and dry them in shades.
- When the leaves get dried grind them to powdered form.
- Eat ½ tsp of powdered mango leaves 2 times a day.
4.) Bitter Gourd as a Natural Remedy for Diabetes
Another name for bitter gourd is bitter melon. Bitter gourd is an excellent ingredient to add in your diet. It helps control diabetes by lowering glucose level in blood. It improves glucose metabolism all over the body instead of focusing on a particular tissue or organ. It also helps promote secretion of pancreatic insulin. Plus, it keep a check on insulin resistance. Thus, bitter gourd is favorable for both type 1 and type 2 diabetes. It is one of the best home remedies for diabetes.
Directions to Use Bitter Gourd:
- Cook some bitter gourd and include it in your regular diet.
- Other than this, drink bitter gourd juice every morning on an empty stomach.
- To prepare juice, remove the seeds firstly.
- Now put these bitter gourd in juicer and extract juice out of them.
- Drink this juice 2 times a day to treat diabetes.
- You can add water to dilute it.
- Drink this regularly for a couple of months to prevent diabetes..
5.) Fenugreek as an Effective Home Remedy for Diabetes Treatment
Fenugreek is another herb which helps control diabetes. It improves tolerance of glucose. It helps improve low blood sugar levels because of its hypoglycemic activity. It also helps in stimulating the emission of insulin. Due to its high content of fiber, it slows down the absorption of sugar and carbohydrates in the body.
Directions to Use Fenugreek:
- Add 2 tbsp of powdered fenugreek seeds into the milk.
- Dissolve it well. Drink it regularly.
- Dip 2 tbsp of fenugreek seeds in water. Leave it overnight.
- Drink this water in the morning on an empty stomach.
- Continue this remedy for a few months to see results.
6.) Basil Leaves as a Home Remedy to Treat Diabetes Naturally
Basil leaves are considered to be powerful antioxidants. They are loaded with essential oils that generate caryophyllene, eugenol and methyl eugenol. Together, these compounds help the pancreas to function properly. It also helps regulate the level of insulin properly. The antioxidant properties of basil help combat the side effects of oxidative stress.
Directions to Use Basil Leaves:
- Eat 2 to 3 leaves of basil.
- Instead, consume about 1 tbsp of basil juice in the morning on an empty stomach to lower the levels of blood sugar.
7.) Green Tea as a Home Remedy to Treat Diabetes Naturally
Green tea is not fermented as other tea and is rich in polyphenol content. Polyphenol is a powerful antioxidant and hypoglycemic compound. It help regulate the level of blood sugar releases. It also helps maintain insulin better.
Directions to Use Green Tea:
- Steep a green tea bag in a hot cup of water. Wait for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove the tea bag and drink it.
- Start your day with a green to make you feel fresh.
- Drink 2 to 3 cups of green tea daily to control diabetes.
8.) Flax Seeds as a Remedy for Diabetes
Flax seeds is also among the top remedies for diabetes. As we know flax seeds are rich in fiber content, it helps effectively in improving digestion and aid in the absorption of fats and sugars properly. Consuming flax seeds reduces sugar level significantly. Here is the method to use it.
Directions to Use Flax Seeds:
- Eat 1 tbsp of grounded flax seeds powder in the morning on an empty stomach with a glass of warm water.
- Make sure that you don’t consume more than 2 tablespoons a day. It can lead to further problems.
9.) Cinnamon for Diabetes Treatment
Cinnamon is also one of the most excellent natural remedies for diabetes. It is a very simple remedy that is easily available in your kitchen. Cinnamon is very effective in treating type 2 diabetes and cholesterol problem too. Just remember that it should not be consumed in excess as it can affect the liver due to the presence of a compound known as coumarin.
Directions to Use Cinnamon:
- Just have ½ teaspoon of cinnamon powder daily and it will do the job.
- Alternatively, you can boil 3-5 sticks of cinnamon in 1 ½ cup of water.
- Let it boil for a few minutes.
- Cool it and drink it daily.
10.) Indian Blackberry for Diabetes Treatment
The seeds of blackberry are rich in glycoside that stops the conversion of starch into sugar. Thus, it is very helpful in maintaining the sugar level in the body. It is among the most effective remedies for diabetes treatment.
Directions to Use Indian Blackberry:
- Just have five or six blackberries in the morning.
- Another thing you can do is make a powder using blackberry seeds and have it with a glass of water in the morning.