This article is about home remedies for diabetes. Diabetes, which is also known as diabetes mellitus, has become a very common health problem in present world. Diabetes is characterized by high blood sugar levels in the body. Diabetes affects the body’s ability to produce insulin. Insulin is a hormone made by the pancreas. Its function is to use sugar or glucose from carbohydrates in the food that you consume for energy. It also stores glucose for future use. This hormone helps prevent blood sugar level from getting too low (hypoglycemia) or too high (hyperglycemia). Diabetes is mainly of two types of, they are:
- Type 1 Diabetes – In type 1 diabetes, the body is not capable of producing insulin.
- Type 2 Diabetes – In type 2 diabetes, the body does not produce sufficient insulin. Also, the insulin which is produced does not work properly.
Causes of Diabetes
- Sluggish metabolism
- Environmental factors
- High level of blood sugar level.
- Lack of insulin production.
- Consuming lots of sweet food.
- Lack of physical activities.
Symptoms of Diabetes
Some of the common symptoms of diabetes include:
- Weight loss, even after eating more.
- Excessive thirst
- Frequent urination
- Upset Stomach
- Cut and bruises which are slow to heal.
- Blurred vision.
There is not a cure for getting rid of diabetes permanently. However, by keeping your blood sugar level under control, you can live a normal and healthy life. There are many treatments for diabetes available. Following simple home remedies for diabetes can also help you control your blood sugar level. Below we have mentioned some of the home remedies for diabetes treatment.
Best Home Remedies for Diabetes
1.) Cinnamon as a Remedy for Diabetes
Cinnamon is known to be effective in lowering blood sugar levels by promoting insulin activity. Cinnamon has some bioactive components which help prevent and control diabetes naturally. Different studies have shown that cinnamon acts as an effective option to control blood sugar levels in cases of type-2 diabetes.
Although, it should not be taken in excess as we generally buy Cassia cinnamon which have a compound known as coumarin. It is a toxic compound which can damage your liver. Instead of Cassia you can go for Ceylon cinnamon or “true cinnamon.” It is known to be safer for lever but its effects on diabetes have not been studied well.
- Take ½ to 1 tsp of cinnamon and mix in a cup of warm water. Drink it daily.
- Alternatively, boil 2 – 4 cinnamon sticks in 1 cup of water.
- Let it steep for 20 minutes.
- Drink this daily until you see results.
- Also, You can add cinnamon to other warm beverages, smoothies or baked goods.
2.) Guava as a Remedy for Diabetes
Guava is a rich source of Vitamin C and fiber. Having guava can be really effective in regulating the blood sugar level. It is recommended for diabetics to peel the skin of the fruit before eating. Remember, not to overeat guava in a day. It is one of the excellent remedies for diabetes.
- Take a fresh guava and wash and peel the skin before eating.
- You can also include guava in your salad, smoothies or shakes.
- Eat 1 or 2 guava regularly. Do not overeat.
3.) Bitter Gourd as a Remedy for Diabetes
Bitter gourd or bitter melon is very helpful for maintaining diabetes. Bitter Gourd has blood glucose lowering effects. It tries to influence the metabolism of glucose not only in a particular organ or tissue but all over your body.
Bitter gourd helps promote pancreatic insulin secretion. It also helps prevent insulin resistance. Therefore, bitter gourd is very beneficial for both type 1 and type 2 diabetes.
- Make a fresh bitter gourd juice every morning.
- Cut 2-3 bitter gourd in small pieces. Use a juicer to extract the juice from it.
- Add some water and blend it well.
- Drink it on an empty stomach daily.
- Remember to remove the seeds.
- Drink this fresh juice daily in the morning for at least 2 months.
- You can also include a bitter gourd dish daily in your diet.
4.) Curry Leaves as a Remedy for Diabetes
Curry leaves are quite useful in controlling and preventing diabetes. It has excellent anti-diabetic properties. Curry leaves are believed to contain an ingredient which reduces the speed at which starch is converted to glucose in diabetics.
- Chew around 10 fresh curry leaves every day in the morning.
- Continue this treatment for 3-4 months for best results.
- It is also useful for treating high cholesterol and obesity.
5.) Fenugreek as a Home Remedy to Prevent Diabetes Naturally
Fenugreek is another herb which can also be used to regulate diabetes. Fenugreek enhances glucose tolerance. Also it helps control blood sugar levels due to its great hypoglycaemic activity. It also helps stimulate the secretion of glucose-dependent insulin. It also slows down the absorption of carbohydrates and sugars as it is rich in fiber,.
- Take 2 tbsp of fenugreek seeds and soak in water overnight.
- In the morning, drink the water along with the seeds on an empty stomach.
- Drink it daily for a few months to see the result.
- Also, you can eat 2 tbsp of powdered fenugreek seeds daily with milk.
6.) Black Plum as a Natural Remedy to Prevent Diabetes
Black plum can help a lot in regulating blood sugar level. Black plum has anthocyanins, ellagic acid, hydrolysable tannins, which makes it one of the most effective home remedies for diabetes.
Every part of black plum plant like the leaves, berry and seeds can be used by diabetic patients. The fruits and seeds of this plant give hypoglycemic effects as which helps reduce blood and urine sugar levels significantly. Especially, the seeds contain glycoside jamboline and alkaloid jambosine which help control blood sugar levels.
- This seasonal fruit should be included in your daily diet as it is very effective for your pancreas.
- Another option is to make a powder of its dried seeds.
- Consume this powder with water twice daily.
7.) Mango Leaves as an Effective Home Remedy for Diabetes
Mango leaves can also be used to control diabetes by maintaining insulin levels in the blood. They also helps enhance blood lipid profiles. It is also among the best remedies for diabetes.
- Take 10-15 tender mango leaves and soak them in a glass of water overnight.
- Next morning, strain and drink it on an empty stomach.
- Another option is dry the leaves in the shade and grind them.
- Consume ½ teaspoon of these powdered mango leaves twice daily.
8.) Indian Gooseberry as a Remedy to Cure Diabetes
Indian gooseberry is one of the excellent remedies for diabetes treatment. Indian gooseberry is a rich source of Vitamin C which helps promote proper functioning of pancreas.
- Grind two to three Indian gooseberries to make a fine paste. Remove seeds before grinding.
- Keep the paste in a cloth and squeeze the juice from it.
- Mix 2 tbsp of this juice in 1 cup of water.
- Drink this juice daily on an empty stomach.
- Other than that, take 1 tbsp of Indian gooseberry juice in a cup and mix in bitter gourd juice.
- Drink it regularly for several months.
9.) Aloe Vera as a Remedy to Cure Diabetes
Aloe Vera also helps control fasting blood glucose levels naturally. Aloe Vera has phytosterols, which can have anti-hyperglycemic effects for type 2 diabetic patients. The mixture of Aloe Vera gel, bay leaves and turmeric is very effective for maintaining blood sugar.
- Take ½ tsp each of turmeric and ground bay leaves along with 1 tbsp of Aloe Vera gel.
- Consume it 2 times daily, before taking lunch and dinner.
- Continue this for a month at least to see results.
10.) Okra as a Remedy for Diabetes Treatment
Okra which is also known as ladies’ finger contains polyphenolic molecules. These molecules help reduce blood glucose levels and control diabetes effectively. In a study it was found that okra seed and peel powder have antidiabetic and antihyperlipidemic potential.
- Take some okras and cut the ends of them. Prick them in several places using a fork.
- Soak them in a glass of water overnight.
- Next morning, strain and drink the water on an empty stomach.
- Drink it daily for a few weeks.
- Including okra dish in your diet is another option.