Once in a while, everybody has a dry mouth. Dry mouth occurs very commonly in older people. It is the feeling that there is not much saliva in your mouth. So we need to cure dry mouth, but how? In this article, we will tell you the reason behind dry mouth and home remedies for dry mouth treatment. Have you ever thought about that why you need saliva? Saliva plays a very important role in digestion of food, cleaning and moistening of your mouth. It also prevents your mouth from bacteria and fungi. Your mouth gets dry when you don’t produce enough saliva. It usually occurs when somebody gets nervous or feeling uncomfortable. A technical term for dry mouth is ‘Xerostomia’. There are many factors that causes dry mouth such as nerve pain, depression, decongestant, anxiety and pain medications. Dry mouth can be treated with some home remedies.
Symptoms of Dry Mouth:
- Your throat or mouth gets dry and sticky.
- Stinking of mouth
- Senses of taste changes
- Irritation in the mouth
- Difficulty in swallowing, speaking and chewing.
- Feeling thirsty, frequently
- Redness on tongue
Causes of Dry Mouth:
- Side Effects of Some Medications- By taking some medications like Decongestants, Antihistamines and some drugs of depression, anxiety and nerve pain causes to dry mouth.
- Nerve Damage- Nerve damage to the head and neck area from surgery or injury is the cause of dry mouth.
- Dehydration- Dehydration conditions such as sweating, fever, vomiting, blood loss, diarrhea and burns may cause dry mouth.
- Aging- Older people are easily affected by dry mouth due to their other health related problems.
- Tobacco- Chewing tobacco or smoking is the cause of dry mouth.
- Surgical Treatment and Chemotherapy- Removing salivary glands by the surgical treatment. Chemotherapy drugs may change the nature of saliva and cause dry mouth.
Home Remedies for Dry Mouth Treatment:
Home remedies are very helpful to get rid of dry mouth.
1) Fennel Seeds to Treat Dry Mouth Fast
Fennel seeds is one of the best home remedies for dry mouth treatment. Fennel seeds help to increase the flow of saliva to hydrate the mouth. It also helps to remove bad breath which comes from your mouth. Eat some fennel seeds many times in a day to increase saliva.
Steps to Use Fennel Seeds to Cure Dry Mouth:
- Mix equal parts of fenugreek and fennel seeds.
- Then take a pan and roast them.
- Eat half tablespoon of this mixture after having each meal. This will help to get rid of dry mouth.
2) Cardamom to Get Rid of Dry Mouth Fast & Naturally
Cardamom is used as an Ayurveda remedy which is good for treating dry mouth. It is one of the best home remedies to get rid of dry mouth.
Steps to Use Cardamom to Prevent Dry Mouth:
- Chew cardamom after having each meal.
- Alternative method to use cardamom is take a tablespoon of a cardamom powder and put it in a glass of water.
- Boil it for at least ten minutes.
- Drink this mixture every evening and every morning.
3) Cayenne Pepper to Cure Dry Mouth Naturally
Cayenne pepper is helpful to hydrate your mouth. Cayenne pepper is very hot. People who are sensitive to hot foods, this is not good for them. It produces excess saliva.
Steps to Use Cayenne Pepper for Dry Mouth Treatment:
- Take some ground cayenne pepper with a wet finger then rub it inside your mouth.
- An alternate method that you can use cayenne pepper in soups, cooking or salads.
4) Ginger for Dryness in the Mouth and Throat
Ginger is very good and effective home remedy for the saliva production. Ginger can be used in different ways to cure dry mouth such as capsules, roots, oils and extracts.
Steps to Use Ginger for Dry Mouth Treatment:
- Stir two tablespoons of ginger root in a cup of warm water. Then use it for rinsing your mouth.
- Take a small piece of ginger and chew it slowly many times a day.
- Alternate method, prepare ginger tea by adding ginger in 1 cup of hot water and add a little honey to it. Drink this tea three times in a day to stimulate the production of saliva. If you are sensitive to hot foods, then ginger tea with honey is the best way to cure dry mouth.
5) Grape Seed Oil to Get Rid of Dry Mouth and Throat
Grape seed oil is relieving home remedy for dry mouth due to its moisturizing properties. However, it helps to coat and soothe the mouth and lips to maintain its moist. It is rich in vitamin E, which helps to make it good for faster healing of mouth sores.
Steps to Use Grape Seed Oil for Dry Mouth Treatment:
- Rub a little grape seed oil with the help of fingers on the inside of your mouth.
- Do this home remedy every night before going to bed.
- In the morning, rinse your mouth with water. It prevents bacterial activity on teeth.
6) Oil Pulling to Get Rid of Dry Mouth Fast & Naturally
Oil pulling is the best home remedy to maintain the moisture in your mouth. You can use any vegetable oil such as sesame or coconut oil for oil pulling. It helps to promote good oral hygiene to cure dry mouth.
Steps to Use Oil Pulling to Treat Dry Mouth:
- To start the flow of saliva, drink a glass of water in the morning. You can use any oil of your choice.
- Take a tablespoon of oil and put it in your mouth.
- Use any oil of your choice put a tablespoon in your mouth.
- Until the oil turns whitish and thin, swirl it around your mouth for ten minutes.
- Spit and wash your mouth with lukewarm water.
- Repeat this procedure daily, especially in the morning once. Don’t swallow the oil as it contains lots of toxins.
7) Aloe Vera to Get Rid of Dry Mouth Naturally
Aloe Vera plays a very important role in keeping your lips and tongue moisturized. It helps to treat the sensitive tissues of the mouth. Aloe Vera also helps to develop taste buds. Aloe Vera helps to kill bacteria due to its antibacterial and anti fungal properties.
Steps to Use Aloe Vera to Cure Dry Mouth Fast:
- Apply aloe Vera gel on the inside of your mouth.
- Leave it for five minutes, then wash off with cold water.
- Do this three times daily to cure dry mouth and lips.
- Alternate method, you can drink one-fourth cup of Aloe Vera juice two times daily or you can use it as a mouthwash. So, this is the natural home remedy for dry mouth.
8) Prickly Ash to Treat Dry Mouth Fast
Prickly ash is a tree which is mostly found in North America. The bark of this tree is used to give relief from dry mouth symptoms and for fresh breath also. It also stimulates the saliva, which helps to moisten the mouth.
Steps to Use Prickly Ash to Treat Dry Mouth:
- Add fifteen drops of prickly ash tincture into one fourth cup of water.
- Drink this mixture daily for better result.
9) Lemon to Cure Dry Mouth Naturally
Lemon is acidic in nature which helps to clean your mouth and get rid of stinking mouth. It stimulates production of saliva glands and helps to keep your mouth moist.
Steps to Use Lemon to Eliminate Dry Mouth:
- Extract the juice from half a lemon and add this juice with a little honey to a glass of water.
- Drink it slowly many times a day to keep your mouth hydrated.
- You can also make lemonade to relieve dry mouth..
10) Drink Lots of Water to Get Rid of Dry Mouth
- Drinking water is the number one home remedy to get rid of dry mouth.
- Drink water as much as you can.
- Because drinking water is very helpful to get rid of bad breath.
- You should drink eight glasses of water or more than that per day.
11) Change Your Lifestyle for Dry Mouth
- Avoid drinking alcohol, smoking, caffeinated drinks, carbonated drinks and chewing tobacco.
- If you have a sore mouth and tongue, then avoid spicy foods as these food can cause pain and irritation in your mouth.
- Eat soft, moist foods such as soups, gravy, creams, sauces that are cool or at room temperature.
- Avoid eating sticky and sweeten foods.
12) Slippery Elm to Get Rid of Dry Mouth and Throat
Slippery elm, is one of the best home remedy to get rid of dry mouth. It can be used to make a tea.
Steps to Use Slippery Elm for Dry Mouth Treatment:
- Mix it with water to make a thick gel that soothes and coats the dry mouth.
- Combine water and slippery elm bark powder to make a paste and apply it inside your mouth to treat dry mouth.
- You can also prepare tea by boiling slippery elm in water.