Once in a while, everybody has a dry mouth. Dry mouth occurs very commonly in older people. It is the feeling that there is not much saliva in your mouth. So we need to cure dry mouth, but how? In this article, we will tell you the reason behind dry mouth and home remedies for dry mouth treatment. Have you ever thought about that why you need saliva? Saliva plays a very important role in digestion of food, cleaning and moistening of your mouth. It also prevents your mouth from bacteria and fungi. Your mouth gets dry when you don’t produce enough saliva. It usually occurs when somebody gets nervous or feeling uncomfortable. A technical term for dry mouth is ‘Xerostomia’. There are many factors that causes dry mouth such as nerve pain, depression, decongestant, anxiety and pain medications. Dry mouth can be treated with some home remedies.
Symptoms of Dry Mouth:
- Your throat or mouth gets dry and sticky.
- Stinking of mouth
- Senses of taste changes
- Irritation in the mouth
- Difficulty in swallowing, speaking and chewing.
- Feeling thirsty, frequently
- Redness on tongue
Causes of Dry Mouth:
- Side Effects of Some Medications- By taking some medications like Decongestants, Antihistamines and some drugs of depression, anxiety and nerve pain causes to dry mouth.
- Nerve Damage- Nerve damage to the head and neck area from surgery or injury is the cause of dry mouth.
- Dehydration- Dehydration conditions such as sweating, fever, vomiting, blood loss, diarrhea and burns may cause dry mouth.
- Aging- Older people are easily affected by dry mouth due to their other health related problems.
- Tobacco- Chewing tobacco or smoking is the cause of dry mouth.
- Surgical Treatment and Chemotherapy- Removing salivary glands by the surgical treatment. Chemotherapy drugs may change the nature of saliva and cause dry mouth.
Home Remedies for Dry Mouth Treatment:
Home remedies are very helpful to get rid of dry mouth.
1) Fennel Seeds to Treat Dry Mouth Fast
Fennel seeds is one of the best home remedies for dry mouth treatment. Fennel seeds help to increase the flow of saliva to hydrate the mouth. It also helps to remove bad breath which comes from your mouth. Eat some fennel seeds many times in a day to increase saliva.
Steps to Use Fennel Seeds to Cure Dry Mouth:
- Mix equal parts of fenugreek and fennel seeds.
- Then take a pan and roast them.
- Eat half tablespoon of this mixture after having each meal. This will help to get rid of dry mouth.
2) Cardamom to Get Rid of Dry Mouth Fast & Naturally
Cardamom is used as an Ayurveda remedy which is good for treating dry mouth. It is one of the best home remedies to get rid of dry mouth.
Steps to Use Cardamom to Prevent Dry Mouth:
- Chew cardamom after having each meal.
- Alternative method to use cardamom is take a tablespoon of a cardamom powder and put it in a glass of water.
- Boil it for at least ten minutes.
- Drink this mixture every evening and every morning.
3) Cayenne Pepper to Cure Dry Mouth Naturally
Cayenne pepper is helpful to hydrate your mouth. Cayenne pepper is very hot. People who are sensitive to hot foods, this is not good for them. It produces excess saliva.
Steps to Use Cayenne Pepper for Dry Mouth Treatment:
- Take some ground cayenne pepper with a wet finger then rub it inside your mouth.
- An alternate method that you can use cayenne pepper in soups, cooking or salads.
4) Ginger for Dryness in the Mouth and Throat
Ginger is very good and effective home remedy for the saliva production. Ginger can be used in different ways to cure dry mouth such as capsules, roots, oils and extracts.
Steps to Use Ginger for Dry Mouth Treatment:
- Stir two tablespoons of ginger root in a cup of warm water. Then use it for rinsing your mouth.
- Take a small piece of ginger and chew it slowly many times a day.
- Alternate method, prepare ginger tea by adding ginger in 1 cup of hot water and add a little honey to it. Drink this tea three times in a day to stimulate the production of saliva. If you are sensitive to hot foods, then ginger tea with honey is the best way to cure dry mouth.
5) Grape Seed Oil to Get Rid of Dry Mouth and Throat
Grape seed oil is relieving home remedy for dry mouth due to its moisturizing properties. However, it helps to coat and soothe the mouth and lips to maintain its moist. It is rich in vitamin E, which helps to make it good for faster healing of mouth sores.
Steps to Use Grape Seed Oil for Dry Mouth Treatment:
- Rub a little grape seed oil with the help of fingers on the inside of your mouth.
- Do this home remedy every night before going to bed.
- In the morning, rinse your mouth with water. It prevents bacterial activity on teeth.
6) Oil Pulling to Get Rid of Dry Mouth Fast & Naturally
Oil pulling is the best home remedy to maintain the moisture in your mouth. You can use any vegetable oil such as sesame or coconut oil for oil pulling. It helps to promote good oral hygiene to cure dry mouth.
Steps to Use Oil Pulling to Treat Dry Mouth:
- To start the flow of saliva, drink a glass of water in the morning. You can use any oil of your choice.
- Take a tablespoon of oil and put it in your mouth.
- Use any oil of your choice put a tablespoon in your mouth.
- Until the oil turns whitish and thin, swirl it around your mouth for ten minutes.
- Spit and wash your mouth with lukewarm water.
- Repeat this procedure daily, especially in the morning once. Don’t swallow the oil as it contains lots of toxins.
7) Aloe Vera to Get Rid of Dry Mouth Naturally
Aloe Vera plays a very important role in keeping your lips and tongue moisturized. It helps to treat the sensitive tissues of the mouth. Aloe Vera also helps to develop taste buds. Aloe Vera helps to kill bacteria due to its antibacterial and anti fungal properties.
Steps to Use Aloe Vera to Cure Dry Mouth Fast:
- Apply aloe Vera gel on the inside of your mouth.
- Leave it for five minutes, then wash off with cold water.
- Do this three times daily to cure dry mouth and lips.
- Alternate method, you can drink one-fourth cup of Aloe Vera juice two times daily or you can use it as a mouthwash. So, this is the natural home remedy for dry mouth.
8) Prickly Ash to Treat Dry Mouth Fast
Prickly ash is a tree which is mostly found in North America. The bark of this tree is used to give relief from dry mouth symptoms and for fresh breath also. It also stimulates the saliva, which helps to moisten the mouth.
Steps to Use Prickly Ash to Treat Dry Mouth:
- Add fifteen drops of prickly ash tincture into one fourth cup of water.
- Drink this mixture daily for better result.
9) Lemon to Cure Dry Mouth Naturally
Lemon is acidic in nature which helps to clean your mouth and get rid of stinking mouth. It stimulates production of saliva glands and helps to keep your mouth moist.
Steps to Use Lemon to Eliminate Dry Mouth:
- Extract the juice from half a lemon and add this juice with a little honey to a glass of water.
- Drink it slowly many times a day to keep your mouth hydrated.
- You can also make lemonade to relieve dry mouth..
10) Drink Lots of Water to Get Rid of Dry Mouth
- Drinking water is the number one home remedy to get rid of dry mouth.
- Drink water as much as you can.
- Because drinking water is very helpful to get rid of bad breath.
- You should drink eight glasses of water or more than that per day.
11) Change Your Lifestyle for Dry Mouth
- Avoid drinking alcohol, smoking, caffeinated drinks, carbonated drinks and chewing tobacco.
- If you have a sore mouth and tongue, then avoid spicy foods as these food can cause pain and irritation in your mouth.
- Eat soft, moist foods such as soups, gravy, creams, sauces that are cool or at room temperature.
- Avoid eating sticky and sweeten foods.
12) Slippery Elm to Get Rid of Dry Mouth and Throat
Slippery elm, is one of the best home remedy to get rid of dry mouth. It can be used to make a tea.
Steps to Use Slippery Elm for Dry Mouth Treatment:
- Mix it with water to make a thick gel that soothes and coats the dry mouth.
- Combine water and slippery elm bark powder to make a paste and apply it inside your mouth to treat dry mouth.
- You can also prepare tea by boiling slippery elm in water.
13.) Baking Soda to Get Rid of Dry Mouth
This is one of the best home remedies to get rid of dry mouth. Baking soda is one of the popular and easiest ways to treat dry mouth. All you need to do is in one cup of water add half teaspoon of baking soda. Mix one teaspoon of salt and one tablespoon of sugar. Add a little amount of lemon juice in it. Mix all these ingredients well and have this water. You need to drink this solution every day to see noticeable results. It is a great remedy to deal with dry mouth.
14.) Parsley to Treat Dry Mouth
This is one of the most effective home remedies to treat dry mouth. Parsley is one of the popular vegetables which have multiple benefits. Parsley is a natural sweetener that has abundance of vitamin A and C in it. This vegetable is also rich in calcium and iron which makes it a healthy choice for the body. All you need to do is chew parsley leaves to get rid of dry mouth soon. Another thing that you can do is add parsley to your salad plate or add it while cooking meals.
15.) Rosemary to Get Rid of Dry Mouth
This is a great ingredient to get rid of dry mouth. Another benefit of rosemary is that it gives a refreshing feeling. On one side where rosemary kills the bad bacteria present in the mouth the ainseeds and mint ensures a fresh breath. All you need to do is in half cup of water add one tablespoon of dried rosemary and one tablespoon of mint. Bring this water to a boil. Cover the water with a lid and leave it aside for the next 15 to 20 minutes. Strain this solution and keep it in the refrigerator. Gargle with this solution two times a day to treat dry mouth.
16.) Ainseed for the Treatment of Dry Mouth
This is one of the natural ingredients that are effectively used in the treatment of dry mouth. It only cures dry mouth and its symptoms but also is full of health benefits. It also treats bad breath which is mostly accompanied by dry mouth. In fact, there are many restaurants which offer aniseed after the meal to avoid stinking breath that is caused by eating all sorts of stuff. All you need to do is consume aniseed to get relief from dry mouth.
17.) Fruit Juices to Get Rid of Dry Mouth
This is one of the best methods to get rid of dry mouth. No doubt that water is a great choice for health but you also need variety in life. So, what about fruit juices? It is healthy and tasty as well treats dry mouth. You need to choose fruits that are rich in vitamin C. It will keep you healthy as well as prevent dry mouth. All you need to do is have lot of fruits juices on a regular basis. Make sure you drink fresh fruit juice only. Drink one glass of juice per day to prevent dry mouth.
18.) Fluoride Toothpaste to Treat Dry Mouth
This is one of the best methods to treat dry mouth. Changing your toothpaste can help you to get rid of dry mouth. Small changes can give you big differences. It is recommended that you use toothpaste that contains fluoride. While buying toothpaste, read the ingredients at the back of the pack so that you know the fluoride content present in it. Brush your teeth with fluoride toothpaste two times a day to get positive results.
19.) Don’t Drink Alcohol and Coffee to Treat Dry Mouth
This is one of the best ways to get rid of dry mouth. Alcohol is not a good choice for health and it will never be. You can get rid of the problem of dry mouth for lifetime if you quit alcohol and coffee. All you need to do is remove alcohol from the list of beverages you drink. Excess of coffee is also an unhealthy choice. So, stay away from alcohol and coffee and keep problem of dry mouth miles away from you. Go for lots of fruit juices and water.
20.) Chew Gum to Get Rid of Dry Mouth
This is one of the best ways to get rid of dry mouth. Chewing gum contains an ingredient called chloromint which avoid stinking breath and gives a clean and fresh breath. Dry mouth is mostly accompanied by bad breath. So, here is a chance to prevent dry mouth without using any artificial sweeteners. Chloromint is sugar free so even people suffering from diabetes can also use this remedy. All you need to do is chew gums 2 to 3 times a day to get rid of dry mouth.
21.) Yoga to Treat Dry Mouth
This is one of the best ways not only to treat dry mouth but also for a healthier lifestyle. This spiritual practice is very popular across the world for good health. It can solve half of your health problems. Practicing yoga for half an hour every day will not only keep you away from the problem of dry mouth but also solve other health issues. Apart from yoga, you can do a 30 to 40 minutes cardio exercises on a regular basis to keep the problems of dry mouth at a distance.
22.) Avoid Acidic Foods to Get Rid of Dry Mouth
This is one of the best methods to prevent dry mouth. Acidic foods can make you feel bloated and give you a feeling of dry mouth. All you need to do is avoid foods items high in acidity. Don’t consume excessive fried or fatty foods. Consume healthy and clean food to keep the problem of dry mouth at a distance.
23.) Suck Pasta to Treat Dry Mouth
This is one of the most effective methods to treat dry mouth. Sucking pasta will increase saliva in your system and helps to get rid of dry mouth. All you need to do is suck a hard piece of pasta to get rid of symptoms of dry mouth.
24.) Celery to Get Rid of Dry Mouth
This is one of the popular and best vegetables to get rid of dry mouth. Celery stimulates the salivary glands and treats the problem of dry mouth. All you need to do is munch lots of celery on a regular basis. Celery is a healthy snack and will keep the problem of dry mouth at a distance.
25.) Good Hygiene to Treat Dry Mouth
Good hygiene can helps to keep the problem of dry mouth miles away. Brush your teeth two times a day and regularly floss your teeth. Clean your mouth properly after every meal. It will not only prevent dry mouth but also prevents oral and dental diseases.
Tips to Prevent Dry Mouth
- Drink plenty of water and clean your mouth with warm water after having your meals.
- Chew your food properly before swallowing to prevent dry mouth.
- Consume snacks that have high water content to add moisture to your mouth and stimulate salivary glands.
- Use warm salt water to gargle. Do it 3 to 4 times a day to prevent dry mouth.
- Chew sugar free candies to increase saliva production.
- Use a humidifier in a room to keep your mouth moist.
- Stop chewing tobacco as it decreases the saliva production.
- Try to breathe through your nose and not through your mouth.