In this article we will discuss different home remedies for edema treatment. Edema, which is also known as dropsy or hydropsy is a medical term for swelling. Edema is caused due to the accumulation of fluids in the body’s tissue. This accumulation of fluid makes the affected part to appear swollen. It occurs when a small blood vessel leaks fluids to surrounding tissues. Edema mainly occurs in feet, ankles, legs and hands. But, it does not mean it cannot occur in any other part of the body. It is normally a common reaction to an injury or inflammation. More than 40 lakhs people in the U.S. suffer from edema. Edema is not dangerous in itself, but it can be a symptom of an underlying health condition. You can consult a doctor for its treatment. Whatsoever the reason is, you can get much relief from edema symptoms with a little bit of change in your lifestyle along with some quick and easy home remedies for edema.
Before getting to home remedies for edema, you need to know the causes responsible for it. So that you can prevent it in its starting phase only.
Causes for Edema:
- Sitting or staying in a position for a long time.
- High intake of salt.
- Due to a surgical procedure.
- Bite from an insect.
- Side effects from medication.
- High blood pressure medication.
- Lack of nutrition
- Anti-inflammatory drugs
- Steroid drugs
- Heart disease
- Kidney disease
- Alcohol and smoking
Symptoms for Edema:
- Infection or inflammation in a small area due to insect bite.
- Tense skin and pain
- Shortness of breath
- Food allergies
- Shiny or stretched skin
- Heaviness in legs when walking.
Home Remedies for Edema Treatment:
1.) Tea Tree Oil as a Remedy for Edema Treatment
Tea tree oil works as one of the most effective home remedies for edema treatment. Tea tree oil has anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties which helps in reducing inflammation caused by an insect bite or stings. Also, this oil helps in reducing pain and swelling from edema. Aplphaterpineol and terpinen-4-ol component present in tea tree oil makes it a fine anti-fungal and anti-bacterial remedy to control edema.
Directions to Use Tea Tree Oil:
- Take few drops of tea tree oil and apply on the affected area with a cotton ball.
- Leave it for a few minutes before washing it off.
- Repeat it 3-4 times daily.
- You can add tea tree oil to any carrier oil for mild edema condition.
2.) Dandelion as a Remedy to Control Edema Naturally
Being a natural diuretic, dandelion helps to get rid of extra amount of water and salt through the urine. Thus, it prevents the accumulation of fluids in the body. Potassium present in dandelion balances sodium level in the body which in turn helps to reduce swelling and inflammation from edema. To prepare dandelion tea, follow these steps.
Directions to Use Dandelion:
- Add 1 tsp of fresh dandelion leaves (dried) in 1 cup of hot water.
- Steep it for 3 to 5 minutes and strain it.
- Drink 2 to 3 cups of dandelion tea daily.
3.) Apple Cider Vinegar as a Remedy to Get Rid of Edema
Apple cider vinegar or ACV is also one of the highly effective remedies for edema symptoms. Being rich in potassium contents, ACV helps to prevent water retention in the body. It also helps in reducing swelling and pain because of its excellent anti-inflammatory properties. Here is the procedure to do it.
Directions to Use Apple Cider Vinegar:
- Take equal amount of warm water and apple cider vinegar.
- Soak a towel in the mixture and wrap it up on the affected area for a few minutes.
- Repeat this process several times every day.
- Alternatively, mix 1 or 2 tsp of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water. Drink it 2 times a day to avoid edema.
4.) Massaging the Affecting Area to Treat Edema Fast
Massaging is another great way to treat edema condition. Massaging on a regular basis will help reduce swelling and pain caused by edema. Massaging will also help create pressure on the affected muscle area which in turn activate the lymphatic system and prevent water retention.
Directions for Massaging:
- Take any oil such as mustard, olive or coconut oil and warm it a little bit.
- Massage this warm oil gently on the affected area for a few minutes.
- Massage 3-4 times a day to get rid of edema.
5.) Coriander Seeds as a Remedy to Get Rid Edema
Coriander seeds are known for its anti-inflammatory properties. Coriander seeds help to reduce pain and swelling caused by edema. It also improves blood circulation effectively. Coriander seeds is also among the most effective home remedies for edema care.
Directions to Use Coriander Seeds:
- In 1 cup of water, mix 5 to 10 tsp of coriander seeds and boil it.
- Simmer it until the water reduce to half cup. Allow it to cool.
- Regularly drinking 2 to 3 cups of this mixture will help in reducing edema symptoms significantly.
6.) Flax Seeds as a Remedy to control Edema Naturally and Fast
Another one of the best home remedies for edema is Flax seeds. It is known for its beneficial anti-inflammatory properties. Flax seeds is quite useful for reducing pain and swelling caused due to edema. It also helps in detoxification.
Directions to Use Flax Seeds:
- Just mix 1 tsp of crushed flax seeds in a glass of warm water.
- Drink twice every day.
- Other than that you can use flax seed oil to massage the affected area several times a day.
7.) Epsom Salt as a Remedy for Edema Care
Epsom salt helps to reduce inflammation, pain and swelling caused by edema. It also prevents water retention and is very useful for detoxification of the body. You can try an Epsom salt bath to get the most benefits out of it. Here is the method to use it.
- Just add 2 cups of Epsom salt in your warm bath water.
- Dip the affected area in it for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Repeat this process 3 to 4 times in a week.
- Epsom salt is also among the best home remedies for edema treatment.
8.) Parsley as a Remedy to Get Rid of Edema Naturally
Parsley helps to remove excess fluids from the body. It has excellent diuretic properties which helps in eliminating extra sodium. Extra amount of sodium present in body can lead to water retention. Thus, it reduces swelling and pain caused from edema.
Directions to Use Parsley:
- Crush some parley leaves and make a paste by mixing in with water.
- Apply the paste on the affected area.
- Leave it for half an hour.
- Afterwards, rinse it off.
- Mix ½ tsp of dried parsley to 1 cup of water.
- Boil it for 10 minutes and strain it.
- Drink it daily in the morning on an empty stomach.
- You can also add it to your soups and dishes. You can even sprinkle it over salad.
9.) Drink Plenty of Water to Avoid Edema Fast
Increasing the intake of water will help in flushing out toxins and excess salts which may be causing swelling and water retention. An adequate hydration level of body is necessary, not only treating edema but also for keeping other health problem at bay.
- Drink at least 8 to 10 glass of water every day.
- You can also add lemon and cucumber to your drink for added benefits.
- As lemon and cucumber have fine anti-inflammatory properties which can effectively reduce swelling and pain caused due to edema.
10.) Healthy Diet and Reduce Salt Intake for Controlling Edema
A little bit of salt is necessary for your body to function well. But an excess intake of salt can lead to water retention. Consumption of too much caffeine is another reason for water retention. So, by reducing the intake of salt and caffeine, you can minimize the edema symptoms.
- Avoid food rich in salt contents and replace your caffeinated drinks with herbal tea such as green tea, peppermint tea etc.