In this article, we are discussing home remedies for eyelid cysts treatment. An eyelid cyst is known as Chalazion in medical term. The Cyst is generally a lump under the skin of the eyelid because of the blocked oil gland. It can develop internally and externally on the eyelid. It is more infectious and is more common in adults than in children.
A cyst and sty are more or less same, but it is more painful and larger than a sty. Sometimes it spreads and cause more pain and irritation. At times, it becomes more red, swollen and painful. If it’s left untreated, it can affect your vision too. Most of the times eyelid cysts go away on their own, some are there which needs to be treated with surgery or antibiotics.
The most common cause of eyelid cyst is oil-producing meibomian and blocking of oil glands in the eyelids. It’s not a serious problem, it is rare obstruct pose or vision for a period of time. It usually takes 2 to 8 weeks to heal eye cyst. To resolve this problem you can use several home remedies mention below to help them heal faster. Read these related articles How to comfort a sore and itchy eye? and How to Treat a pink eye? on our website.
Causes of Eyelid Cysts:
- Eye duct/gland blockage.
- Staph bacteria.
- Poor hygiene.
- Chronic Blepharitis.
- Dirty contact lenses.
- Avoid touching or rubbing eyes, especially with unwashed hands.
- Leaving makeup on overnight.
Symptoms of Eyelid Cysts:
- Lumps on eyelids or around eyes.
- Eyelid Swelling
- Eye Crusting.
- Discomfort when blinking.
Types of Eyelid Cysts:
1.) Stye – It is also known as Hordeolum. A stye forms due to an abscess in the oil glands. It is the common form of eyelid cysts. A sty becomes red, tender to touch and swollen.
2.) Chalazia – It is known as meibomian cysts. It is a lump on the eyelid. A result of an untreated stye. If a stye in not treated. Due to debris and bacteria, it becomes hard like a ball under the eyelid called Chalazia. It is not much painful. But if they do not resolve on their own, surgical removal is required.
3.) Sweat Gland – These cyst looks round, transparent, shiny lump that forms near the tear duct. This kind of should not be left untreated. Sometimes it should be examined by the doctor.
4.) Keratosis – Keratosis cysts are a combination of keratin and other tissues. It generally categorized into 3 types: Actinic, Keratosis Pilaris and Seborrheic.
5.) Inclusion – These cysts are usually filled with fluid, white in color and are more painful than other cysts. They are said to be harmful. It should be treated well.
Home Remedies for Eyelid Cysts Treatment:
1.) Warm Compressor to Treat Eyelid Cysts
It is one of the best remedies to treat eye cysts. This helps increase the flow of blood circulation and promotes drainage. It also helps reduce swelling and pain. Take a soft cloth or cotton. Soak it in hot water, strain out the excess water. Put the cloth on the eye, closing eyelid for 5 to 10 minutes. Do this process for 3 to 4 times a day for about 2-3 weeks.
2.) Guava Leaves to Prevent Eyelid Cysts
Guava contains anti-inflammatory properties which are helpful to treat eye cysts. It also helps reduce pain and swelling. Take 3-4 leaves of guava. Wash them properly. Put these leaves in the microwave for a few seconds. Put this in a clean, dry cloth. Keep this cloth on the affected area of your eyelid. Replace the leaf with another warm leaf. Keep this cloth on your for 5-10 minutes. Repeat this process for a few days to get rid of eye cysts fast.
3.) Castor Oil to Cure Eyelid Cysts
Castor oil consists of anti-inflammatory properties. That helps reduce inflammation and pain leading to eyelid cysts. Castor oil helps reduce the size of cyst fast and quick healing. Firstly, apply some warm compresses before applying castor oil. Apply castor oil using a cotton swab on the cyst for 1 to 2 weeks.
4.) Massage with Oil to Reduce Eyelid Cysts
Gently massaging on the affected area can also help increase the process of draining oil glands. This will lead to fast and quick healing. Before massaging clean your hand with soap and water. Also, apply warm compresses for 5 mins. Using fingers, gently massage your eyelid in the upward direction. Do this process for about 2-3 times a day for better results to treat eye cysts.
5.) Acacia Leaves to Treat Eyelid Cysts
An infusion prepared out of acacia leaves is best to reduce the pain and swelling related to eyelid cysts. It also consists of anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties. Take some acacia leaves. Boil them in water. Let the water cool down and take out the leaves. Soak a cotton ball in the solution and use it as a warm compressor. Do this process for a few days to treat eye cysts.
6.) Apple Cider Vinegar to Treat Eyelid Cysts
It is said that apple cider vinegar really works for eyelid cysts. It consists of antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties that help reduce pain and inflammation. Take some amount of apple cider vinegar in one cup. Mix some hot water. Soak a cotton ball in the solution and apply it on the affected area. Do this process for about 2-3 times a day for a few days.
7.) Milk and Turmeric to Cure Eyelid Cysts
Turmeric contains anti-fungal properties. It is mainly used for healing. And it actually speeds up the recovery of eyelid cyst. Drinking a glass of milk mixed with a pinch of turmeric in it. Thus, it will helpful for the treatment of eyelid cysts.
8.) Parsley to Prevent Eyelid Cysts
Parsley acts as a purification agent for the treatment of eyelid cysts. It helps remove all the toxic materials. Take a handful of parsley and boil it in water for about 10-12 minutes. Let the water be cool down. Take a piece of cloth clean and dry. Soak the cloth in the solution and put it on the affected area for about 5-7 minutes. Do this process for about 5-10 minutes a day for a few days for better results.
9.) Garlic Juice to Avoid Eyelid Cysts
Garlic is also acts as a medicinal properties for healing eyelid cyst. It is a simple yet so convenient approach to healing eyelid cyst. Apply fresh garlic juice on the affected area, using a cotton ball. Then wash it off with water properly.
10.) Herbal Tea Bag to Reduce Eyelid Cysts
Well, it works like a warm compressor. The anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties of an herbal tea helps in reducing the infection. Take an herbal tea bag into boiling water. Squeeze the extra water. Put this tea on around your eye. It should be warm enough before applying. Do this process for about 5-10 minutes daily for 2-3 times a day to treat eyelid cyst.
11.) Onion juice to Get Rid of Eyelid Cyst
If you are dealing with eyelid cysts, drops of onion juice will be a great relief. This is a simple remedy to treat eyelid cyst. To try this remedy, cut a few slices of onions and extract some juice by grinding or squeezing it. Now, apply this juice on your eyelid. Alternatively, you can put these slices of onions over your eye to get rid of the pain. It also to speed up the recovery. Do this process 2-3 times a day. For best results, repeat this until your cyst eliminates.
12.) Aloe Vera to Treat Eyelid Cyst
This is another effective remedy for eyelid cysts. Aloe Vera consists of anti-inflammatory property that helps reduce inflammation, swelling and redness as well. Moreover, it contains antibacterial properties that help fight infection. For best results, extract some aloe gel from a fresh aloe leaf. Then apply this gel and massage on the affected area gently. Keep it for 10-15 mins. Wash it off using warm water. Repeat this remedy 2-3 times a day for best results.
13.) Mint Leaves to Treat Eyelid Cysts
The antiseptic and antipruritic properties of mint leave make it a wonderful remedy for eyelid cysts. It reduces the swelling, infection and itchiness. It soothes the soreness caused by eyelid cysts. The cooling sensation of mint leaves will give you relief from irritation. The anti-inflammatory properties will reduce the swelling. Follow the steps given below to treat eyelid cysts.
- Crush a few mint leaves to make a paste.
- Apply this paste on the eyelid cysts.
- Leave it on the cysts for about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Wash the paste off with tepid water.
- Repeat this remedy twice a day to treat eyelid cysts.
14.) Sandalwood Paste to Get Rid of Eyelid Cysts
This is one of the best home remedies to get rid of eyelid cysts. The astringent, antiseptic, and antispasmodic properties of sandalwood make it a great remedy to get rid of eyelid cysts. Its cooling and soothing properties will calm your nerves. Sandalwood paste will reduce the redness and itchiness instantly. Follow the steps given below to get favorable results.
- Take one tablespoon of sandalwood powder.
- Mix a little amount of water to make a paste.
- Apply this paste on the eyelid cysts.
- Keep it there for a few minutes.
- Repeat this several times a day until the eyelid cysts is healed completely.
15.) Raspberry Leaves to Cure Eyelid Cysts
This is one of the most wonderful home remedies to cure eyelid cysts. The anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties of raspberry leaves will give you instant relief from the redness and swelling. Follow the steps given below to cure eyelid cysts.
- Take a bowl of clean water and add some crushed leaves of raspberry.
- Bring this water to a boil for about 10 to 20 minutes.
- Strain the solution and wash your eyelid cysts with this water.
- You can even use raspberry tea bags instead of raspberry leaves.
16.) Coriander Seeds to Treat Eyelid Cysts
This is one of the most traditional home remedies to treat eyelid cysts. The anti-inflammatory properties of coriander seeds will reduce the pain, swelling, itchiness and redness caused by eyelid cysts. Follow the steps given below to get best results.
- Pour one cup of water in a pan.
- Add some coriander seeds and bring this water to a boil.
- Turn off the flame and allow the water to cool down.
- Strain it and wash the eyelid cysts with this water.
- Repeat this remedy 3 to 4 times a day till you get complete relief.
17.) Gold Ring to Cure Eyelid Cysts
You will be a little surprised but trust me this is one of the most effective home remedies for eyelid cysts. The reason behind this is that the atoms present in a gold ring will get mixed with the infestation and thus prevent the infection. Follow the steps given below to see how this works.
- Wash a gold ring in tepid water for about 5 to 6 times.
- Gently, rub the ring on the eyelid cysts.
- Alternatively, you can also use a copper penny to cure eyelid cysts.
- Repeat this process 2 to 3 times a day to see quick relief.
18.) Potato to Get Rid of Eyelid Cysts
The anti-inflammatory properties of potato make it a great remedy to get rid of eyelid cysts. It reduces the pain, swelling, redness and inflammation caused by eyelid cysts. Follow the steps given below to get best results.
- Grind a piece of raw potato and mix a little water to make a paste.
- Fill this paste in a clean cloth.
- Now, press it gently against the eyelid cysts.
- If you want quick relief, then place a potato slice on the eyelid cysts.
- Repeat this atleast 2 to 3 times a day to get rid of eyelid cysts.
19.) Green Tea Bags to Treat Eyelid Cysts
This is one of the most natural remedies to treat eyelid cysts. The anti-inflammatory properties of green tea not only give instant relief from the pain and inflammation but also decrease the size of the cysts. The tannic acid in green tea prevents the infection. Follow the steps given below to cure eyelid cysts.
- Take a cup of warm water and soak one tea bag in it for about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Take out the tea bag from this water and squeeze out to remove the excess water.
- Place this green tea bag on the eyelid cysts for about 5 minutes.
- Repeat this remedy every day for a few times to heal the cysts completely.
20.) Cayenne Pepper to Cure Eyelid Cysts
This kitchen ingredient proves to be a very good remedy for eyelid cysts. It reduces swelling and pain caused by eyelid cysts. When it is used as a warm compress, it removes the pus from the cysts and increases the blood circulation in that particular area. Follow the steps given below to get best results.
- Boil a cup of water and some cayenne pepper to it.
- Soak a clean cloth in this water and squeeze out the excess water.
- Now, keep this cloth on the eyelid cysts.
- Leave it until the cloth cools down. Repeat it again.
- Repeat this process 2 to 3 times a day to cure eyelid cysts.
21.) Alum for the Treatment of Eyelid Cysts
The antiseptic, anti-inflammatory and astringent properties present in alum makes it an amazing remedy for the treatment of eyelid cysts. It minimizes the swelling, redness, pain and inflammation caused by eyelid cysts. Follow the steps given below to get rid of eyelid cysts fast.
- Take a bowl of water and add 1/4th teaspoon of alum.
- Stir the water so that the ingredients are mixed well.
- Immerse a cloth in this water and squeeze out the excess water.
- Press this cloth gently against the eyelid cysts.
- Make sure the cysts absorb the heat.
- Repeat this few times a day to treat eyelid cysts.
22.) Calendula to Cure Eyelid Cysts
This is one of the most natural home remedies to cure eyelid cysts. The antibacterial, anti-fungal and anti-inflammatory properties of calendula will give you instant relief from the discomforts caused by eyelid cysts. Follow the steps given below to see magical results.
- In 250ml of water, add one tablespoon of dried calendula leaves.
- Strain this water and apply it on the eyelid cysts.
- Repeat this process thrice a day to get quick results.
- You can even wash your eyes with this water to get rid of conjunctivitis.
23.) Dandelion for the Treatment of Eyelid Cysts
You already know that this is a great remedy for various health issues. But, do you even know that it is a wonderful remedy for the treatment of eyelid cysts. Follow the steps given below to treat eyelid cysts.
- Drink dandelion tea on a regular basis to destroy the bacteria that can cause further infection.
- Soak a dandelion tea bag in tepid water for a few minutes.
- Place this tea bag directly on the eyelid cysts.
- Alternatively, you can wash the affected area with dandelion water to get rid of eyelid cysts.
24.) Nutmeg to Get Rid of Eyelid Cysts
The medicinal properties and the antibacterial effects of nutmeg make it an amazing home remedy for eyelid cysts. The sweet aroma is one of the added benefits of this remedy. Follow the steps given below to get rid of eyelid cysts.
- Pour a little water on a stone.
- Rub nutmeg on this stone to make a paste.
- Apply this paste on the eyelid cysts.
- Leave it to dry naturally.
- Repeat this process daily to dissolve the eyelid cysts.
25.) Eggs to Treat Eyelid Cysts
This is one of the best home remedies to treat eyelid cysts. A hot boiled egg used as a warm compress works very effectively. This remedy will give you positive results within a week. Follow the steps given below to get wonderful results.
- Break an egg and separate the egg yolk.
- Put this egg white in a soft cloth.
- Keep this cloth on the eyelid cyst for about 15 minutes.
- Repeat this remedy 3 times a day and see the amazing results.
- Alternatively, you can put a hardboiled egg directly on the eyelid cysts for about 20 minutes.
Other Useful Tips:
Most of the time eyelid cyst resolve on their own. But you should also maintain some basic hygiene, habits and by avoiding sharing stuff with others. Keep your hands clean and dry to prevent bacteria and to be transferred to others. If you experience any severe problem, immediately consult your doctor.