If you are looking for home remedies to get rid of fruit flies naturally then you are at right place. Fruit flies become very active during the summer, especially at harvest time. However, indoor fruit flies are active round the year. Fruit flies are generally found around the ripened fruits, vegetables and fermented products. Larvae of fruit fly usually develop in moist areas where standing water and organic material are present. Adult flies and the pupae are the two visible signs of fruit fly activity. Adult flies are often seen flying near the decaying fruit or vegetables. So you need to protect your eatables while working in the kitchen or other places where these flies are found.
Home Remedies to Get Rid of Fruit Flies Naturally:
1.) Apple Cider Vinegar to Get Rid of Fruit Flies Naturally
Steps to Use Apple Cider Vinegar to Kill Fruit Flies Fast:
- Heat a half cup of apple cider vinegar and put it into a jar.
- Now add a drop of dish soap to it. This dish soap will help to fly them away.
- To make a makeshift funnel, roll a piece of paper and insert it into the mouth of the jar.
- To get the vinegar, flies will enter into the jar and will not be able to get out and drown easily.
2.) Rotten or Overripe Fruit to Get Rid of Fruit Flies Naturally
Using rotten or overripe fruit is one of the good ways to make a fruit fly trap.
Steps to Use Rotten or Overripe Fruit to Treat Fruit Flies Infestation:
- Place several pieces of rotten fruit or ripe fruit in the bottom of a glass jar.
- With the help of a plastic wrap cover the mouth of the jar and make holes with a fork or toothpick.
- Put the jar where the fruit flies frequently come.
- After a few hours, you will notice the jar is filled with fruit flies. Submerge it in a bucket of warm soapy water for at least ten minutes so that the flies can’t fly again. Repeat it as needed.
3.) Lemon Grass Spray to Get Rid of Fruit Flies & Gnats
Lemongrass essential oil helps to repel fruit flies and freshens the air due to its citrus aroma. The strong smell of lemon grass essential oil helps to keep the fruit flies and gnats at bay.
Steps to Use Lemon Grass to Remove Fruit Flies Fast:
- Take a spray bottle and pour 10 to 12 drops of lemon grass essential oil into it.
- Now add ¼ cup of hot water in it and cover the bottle with the lid.
- Shake it properly and spray it on the fruit flies where you see them.
4.) Basil Leaves to Get Rid of Fruit Flies Naturally
Basil contains strong fragrance that repels fruit flies. Plant basil in pots near the doorway to keep fruit flies away. You can also plant mint, lavender, marigold, rue, bay leaf, tansy and wormwood to repel fruit flies.
Steps to Use Basil Leaves to Kill Fruit Flies in Kitchen:
- Put the dried basil leaves in a muslin bag or in cheesecloth.
- Hang the bag where the fruit flies usually come.
- Replace the basil leaves when they lose their scent.
5.) Honey to Get Rid of Fruit Flies Naturally
Honey is one of the best home remedies for killing fruit flies. Honey acts as a sticky trap and attracts fruit flies. You can use jelly or jam instead of using honey.
Steps to Use Honey to Prevent Fruit Flies Infestation:
- Cut a plastic bottle in half to make the bottom half slightly taller.
- Fill this half bottle with water to its halfway point.
- Now add a few drops of dish soap in it and mix it well.
- Spread 2 tsp of honey on the top half of the can or bottle.
- Place the bottle in that area where the fruit flies come.
- Fruit flies will attract to the honey and drown into the bottle.
6.) Cloves to Get Rid of Fruit Flies Naturally
Cloves are not liked by fruit flies. They cannot resist the scent of this spice. Cloves are very effective to get rid of house flies. In this method, cloves are used with lemon to eliminate fruit flies.
Steps to Use Cloves to Get Rid of Fruit Flies Overnight:
- Take 2 lemons and cut them into halves.
- Now poke the pointed part of the clove so that the bud remains upwards.
- Arrange them onto a plate.
- Now put this plate in the kitchen to repel fruit flies.
- You can also wrap some cloves in a muslin cloth or cheesecloth to hang them in fruit flies infected areas.
7.) Milk-Sugar-Pepper for Fruit Flies
Here is an old age recipe for fruit flies that is a sugary milky trap. Sugary substance attracts fruit flies that’s why this remedy is useful for fruit flies.
Steps to Use Milk-Sugar to Kill Fruit Flies Fast:
- Take half liter milk and pour it in a saucepan.
- Now add pepper and sugar to the milk.
- Simmer the solution for 10-15 minutes.
- Now take soup plates and pour some of this milk mixture in each of them.
- Fruit flies get attracted to this milk solution. When they sit on it then it will suffocate them.
8.) Camphor to Repel Fruit Flies Fast
Camphor is like a dry waxy white substance which is derived from the camphor laurel tree. Due to its strong smell, it deters fruit flies and other insects. It is available in the market in the form of small tablets.
Steps to Use Camphor to Repel Fruit Flies:
- Place the 2 camphor tablets on a warm surface.
- Use a heat diffuser or mosquito repellent device and put the tablets on it.
- The fruit flies won’t come near the tablets due to its smell.
- If you can’t resist the smell of camphor, then put the camphor tablets close to places where they frequently come.
9.) Vegetable Oil to Get Rid of Fruit Flies Naturally
Vegetable oil is one of the best ways to trap and kill fruit flies.
Steps to Use Vegetable Oil to Treat Fruit Flies Infestation:
- Pour ¼ cup of vegetable oil into your drain and rub some oil near the edge of the drain.
- Close the holes of the drain with the help of tape.
- Keep it for the whole night.
- Next morning, remove the tape and you will notice fruit flies stuck on it. Repeat it for a few days.
10.) Bleach to Get Rid of Fruit Flies Naturally
If you are dealing with fruit flies and gnats around your bathroom sink or kitchen then bleach is a good option for fruit flies. Remove each and everything from the sink. Place a cup of bleach in the sink. Now wear mouth and eye protection and run very hot water. let the bleach drain.
11.) Red Wine to Kill Fruit Flies Fast
You can use red wine to trap the fruit flies because they love the smell of red wine.
Steps to Use Red Wine:
- Add half cup of red wine to half cup of water.
- Then take a container and pour this solution into it.
- Take a plastic cover to cover the top of the container.
- Now, make holes in it.
- Put the container where you find the fruit flies.
- The fruit flies and gnats like the smell of this solution. When they come in contact with this solution they will drown in this solution.
- When the container is full with dead fruit flies then clean the container with soapy water.
12.) Vegetable Oil to Kill the Fruit Flies
Steps to Use Vegetable Oil:
- Take 1/4 cup of vegetable oil and pour it into drain.
- Rub some vegetable oil in and around the edge of the drain.
- Close the holes of the drain with the help of tape.
- Leave it overnight and remove the tape in the morning.
- You will see the fruit flies stuck on it.