If you ever noticed your terrace, balcony, and automobiles, then you will see birds dropping on everywhere. It also appears ugly and can even spread various harmful diseases. Seeking for solutions to keep these creatures away? Well, the you are at the right place. In this article, you will get some home remedies to get rid of pigeons.
Pigeon nests and their droppings destroy many buildings and automobiles. Do not feed pigeons with grains and seeds as these baits can attract more clusters, creating extra menace all over your place. These damages can be of any type like they can damage food factories, roof tops, balcony, ceiling, machinery and some other places also. The presence of uric acid in pigeon droppings can spread diseases like Cyptococcosis, St. Louis Encephalitis, Histoplasmosis, E.coli and Psittacosis. These diseases affects human, drastically leading to loss of life in a few severe cases. Pigeon droppings can also be sucked in air conditioners, cooking surfaces and ventilators. So, when you see their droppings on the roof or nearby, clean them properly and also avoid direct contact. You can also seek professional help to control pigeons. There are numerous home remedies that will help you to get rid of pigeons.
Damages Caused by Pigeons:
- Damage to Machinery- Pigeons make nests on industrial machines, air conditioner, and so on. Their dried droppings may cause several diseases and can even destroy machines.
- Damage to Food and Chemicals- In manufacture industry of food and chemicals pigeons tend to destroy food and chemicals by their acidic droppings.
- Damage to Roofs- Roofs are damaged by their droppings because droppings contain acid. And this acid is the main reason to spoil everything. Diseases are spread by these acidic droppings.
Diseases Caused by Pigeons:
There are some diseases which are encountered in pigeons. These diseases include infection, canker, worms, coccidian and external parasites. Humans may get affect by these diseases because some people also tend to consume pigeon meat. As pigeons are domestic birds and tent o make their nest between humans, there are high chances of getting affected with these bacterial and viral infections. Bird flu is the most common disease that is easily transferred into humans, from pigeons and other birds. The problem is more severe in residential areas.
- Salmonellosis- Salmonellosis disease happens when food poisoning occurs. Pigeon droppings contain bacteria and dust. They can be sucked through air conditioners, ventilators and cooking surfaces inside your home, restaurants and some food processing plants.
- E.Coli- When a pigeon sits on cow manure and picks at it, the bacteria tends to transfer into them and then is spread to other birds and even humans. The bird droppings are also the reason of this disease.
- St. Louis Encephalitis- St. Louis encephalitis tend to affect the individuals of all age groups but, leads to loss of life only in the older generations, that is people above 60. This disease is easily communicated through mosquitoes because they must have fed on infected pigeons which carries the group B virus. This group B virus is responsible for the St. Louis encephalitis disease.
- Candidiasis- Candidiasis is a fungal infection which is spread through pigeons. It is such a growing problem in women, which leads to itching, discharge and pain. This disease also affects the mouth, skin, respiratory system and especially the vagina.
- Cryptococcosis- Cryptococcosis disease is caused by yeast that is found in the intestine of the pigeons. This disease may affect the central nervous system. It often starts as a pulmonary disease during the initial stage. This yeast is found in parks, buildings, roofs, warehouse, mills.
- Histoplasmosis- It is a respiratory disease which may even lead to the patient’s loss of life. The fungus is usually found in dried pigeon droppings.
Home Remedies to Get Rid of Pigeons:
1.) Honey Solution to Get Rid of Pigeons Naturally
Honey is one of the effective and sticky natural remedies for controlling pigeons. Birds usually don’t like to sit on sticky things and their paws tend to get trapped in its gooey consistency, making it difficult for them to leave the place easily. So it is the best home remedy to keep the pigeons away.
- All you need to do is simply smear some honey where the pigeons rest or gather.
- Make sure you cover all the possible places of their rest.
- Leave the honey and wait for the birds to come back home.
- As soon as their feet comes in contact with the sticky liquid,
- It will trap them, making it difficult to fly off.
- Now, you have the option to either catch them in a cage
- and release them at some isolated place or a forest would be best.
- Also, you can just leave it on the birds to release themselves and fly.
- Repeat this remedy everytime the birls leave their nests for food.
2.) Use Disks to Get Rid of Pigeons Fast
Using any disks or tape is the best method to remove pigeons from your home. The shiny surface of CD’s tend to irritate the birds when it comes in contact with direct sun. It also tends to disturb their sleep during the night. This leaves no other option for the birds, but to relocate.
- Hang CD’s in your balcony or roof or near their nests.
- When the wind blows the reflection from the CD will irritate and also scare them off.
- So, it is also an easy and effective home remedy to get rid of pigeons.
3.) Close off Entrances to Get Rid of Pigeons Fast
Closing all the entrances is an effective method for controlling pigeons. This will not allow any of the birds to sneak in and accommodate. This makes it as the best remedy to get rid of pigeons.
- You just need to do is close all the possible entrances to your place.
- Close the doors and windows properly to get rid of pigeons.
- Use shades of plastic strips and shiny surfaces to make their entry banned.
- Seal the places where these birds roost.
- Use fitting material and silicon caulk or plastic bird netting.
4.) Use Pepper Powder to Remove Pigeons Naturally
Pepper powder is a spicy and effective home remedy for treating pigeon infestation. This is because birds and especially pigeons tend to hate spicy food items. So, this makes pepper as an effective remedy to keep pigeons away.
- All you need to do is,
- Sprinkle some pepper powder on the roof.
- Also, cover the areas where these birds tend to roost.
- Repeat the remedy every time the birds go out to fetch for food.
- This will keep the pigeons away from your place.
5.) Use Chilli Powder or Spicy Food to Control Pigeons
Spicy food is the best home remedy to get rid of pigeons. Again, because pigeons do not like the smell and flavor of spices. So, this makes as one of the important points on the list of how to keep the pigeons away.
- As the pigeons don’t like spicy food.
- Sprinkle some chili powder to the places of their roost.
- Repeat this method as many times as possible.
- It will help you to prevent pigeon infestation.
6.) Use Bird Nets to Get rid of Pigeons Fast
Using bird netting is also an effective and important point on the list of how to get rid of pigeons. This is because it is one of the easiest ways to keep these birds away fro your place.
- You can simply use birds netting to secure the place.
- This will prove helpful in keeping the birds away from your place.
7.) Hosing Water to Keep the Pigeons Away
Hosing water is effective to keep them away. It will tend to irritate these birds, leaving no option but to relocate. Birds do not appear loving water that much, so this will eventually be an important point on the list of how to keep pigeons away.
- Spray water with high pressure and consistently on them.
- They can not land with water being hosed on them.
- Also, if possible use an automatic sprinkler to make it easy for you.
- It is suitable for large lawns and garden areas.
8.) Mirrors to Get Rid of Pigeons Fast
Mirror works same as any other shiny surface, as discussed earlier. It tends to disturb them with their roost and also scare them off during the night. This makes as one of the important points on the list of how to keep pigeons away.
- Put mirror or any other reflecting materials in your balcony or on the roof.
- This will scare them and they will not come nearby your area.
9.) Use Cooked Rice to Avoid Pigeons
You can also use cooked rice to get rid of pigeons. Cooked rice contains starch which is not good for their stomach and pigeons usually refrain themselves from being around anything that is not good for their health.
- So sprinkle some cooked rice on your roof.
- Repeat the process daily while the birds roots or go out to fetch food.
- You will get good results.
10.) Keep Pets to Control Pigeons Fast
Keeping pets at home is one of the best methods to get rid of pigeons and also to keep them away. This is because pets do not really like birds and always tend to hawk them away with their continuous bark. This eventually scare the birds away, also refraining them from coming back. You can either adopt a dog or cat for this purpose or in case you do not want any pet, borrow one from your friend for a few days.
11.) Use Plastic Owl or Snake to Get Rid of Pigeons
Pigeons are always scared of these two creatures. They appear to be long term enemies with the owl and the snakes tend to feed on these birds, making them as the most effective solution to keep the pigeons away.
- You can purchase plastic owl or plastic snake from any toy shop.
- So hang them on your balcony or roof and they will not come near by your house.
- This is a nice and simple home remedy to get rid of pigeons.
12.) Don’t Feed Them to Avoid Pigeons
Feeding pigeons is the way to attract them including other scavenger birds seeking for food, which is not good for you. When several pigeons come to eat on your roof then they spoil the place with their droppings and feathers. Don’t place sprouting seeds, berries and grass seed on the roof and anywhere at your place that is exposed to other scavenger birds.
Other Useful Tips:
- You can use anti-roosting spike and attach them to your place where the pigeons might want to roost on.
- Use ultrasonic devices to eliminate pigeons.
- Call a professional if the problems can severe.
- Avoid shooting as shooting is not the good idea to kill them.
- Destroy the pigeon nests.