It is basically caused due to the increase in the size of the thyroid gland. This gland is located at the front of the neck that is found below the region of Adam’s apple. This thyroid gland plays a major role in regulating the metabolism in our body by generating the thyroid hormones. Many body systems and processes are dependent on this thyroid hormone. This hormone helps in maintaining the heart rate, growth, breathing, and controlling blood pressure of the body. The enlargement in the size of this thyroid gland is referred as goiter. There can be various reasons that established such critical condition in the body. But, you can easily recover from such situations by applying the various home remedies for goiter treatment.
Causes of Goiter:
- Deficiency of iodine compounds in the body.
- Over-active thyroid gland.
- Hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid glands).
- Thyroid Cancer
Symptoms of Goiter:
There are various signs and symptoms that can be easily recognized in the condition of goiter:
- You will notice the swelling occurring at the base of your neck.
- A feeling of tightness in your throat.
- Difficulty in swallowing
- Difficulty while breathing
Types of Goiter:
If you are suffering from the problem of goiter, then it is really important to figure out the different types of goiter:
- Hyperthyroid Goiter: Remember, if the amount of stimulating hormone is excessive in your body, then thyroid gland will increase in size and it will secrete a lot of thyroxine. Due to this, you will suffer from hyperthyroidism with a goiter. This condition is a most common form of this type of disorder.
- Euthyroid Goiter: Thyroid is the only organ present in our body that use iodine. If you take the inadequate amount of iodine then you may suffer from the problem of thyroxine secretion. Due to this, the pituitary gland of our body will sense the deficiency and it will produce more TSH. In this case, our thyroid gland will enlarge to make enough space for thyroxine that will lead to the problem of Euthyroid goiter.
- Hypothyroid Goiter: If the intake of dietary iodine is inappropriate and if it is reduced, then even enlarge gland will not be able to make enough thyroxine. In this condition, your gland will keep growing under the influence of TSH. But, in this condition, it will never produce thyroxine.
Home Remedies for Goiter Treatment:
1.) Consume Iodine to Get Rid of Goiter
Since the most common cause of the goiter is an iodine deficiency in our body. Therefore, it is recommended to add a sufficient amount of iodine to the diet. For adults, consume 150 micrograms of iodine on a regular basis. Eat iodine rich foods like iodized salt, codfish, tuna, eggs, turkey, baked potato, seafood, kale, turkey, natural yogurt, cow milk, and many more.
Note: Though, it is one of the most effective home remedies for goiter. But, at few times, the goiter can be caused due to the excessive iodine amount in our body. So, consult a doctor before applying this remedy to know the cause of your problem.
2.) Garlic to Prevent Goiter
Garlic stimulates the production of glutathione in our body. It is something which is really important for healthy thyroid functioning in our body. It even helps in fighting the inflammation of the neck. To apply this remedy, follow these steps:
- Start chewing 3-4 raw garlic cloves regularly in the morning.
- Even start adding garlic to your dishes.
- If you don’t like garlic then start taking the garlic supplements. But, consult a doctor to know the proper dosage.
3.) Kelp to Cure Goiter
It is basically a kind of seaweed that has the high iodine content in it. It helps in normalizing the thyroid functioning in our body. It even contains iron, potassium, magnesium and calcium. You can find it easily in market and food stores. You can use this home remedy for goiter in various ways:
- Kelp is salty in taste, so start using it in soup, salad and dishes in place of salt.
- You may also add two teaspoons of dried kelp powder in any smoothies on a regular basis.
- You may even consume the kelp capsules, but first consult a doctor to know about the proper dosage.
4.) Watercress to Get Rid of Goiter
It is a great source of iodine. It is considered one of the effective home remedies for goiter. It is also rich in nutrients and minerals like sulfur, antioxidants, and germanium that are very important for the thyroid gland. To prepare this home remedy for goiter, follow these steps:
- Just take a handful of watercress and grind it. Prepare a paste of it. Apply it on your neck where there is inflammation and swelling.
- Leave this paste for 15-20 minutes after application. Rinse it with water. Do this process on a regular basis for at least 10 days.
- You can even apply the alternate method by mixing half glass of water with two tablespoons of watercress.
- Drink this solution three times regularly for 6 weeks to treat goiter.
5.) Dandelion to Avoid Goiter
The dandelion leaves help in treating the swelling very well. They help in removing the discomfort associated with goiter. To apply this home remedy for goiter, follow these steps:
- Take 2-3 dandelion leaves and cover them with clarified butter on one side. Now, warm the leaves gently and put them on the neck where there is a goiter. Stick it by using tape or a bandage and leave it for few hours.
- You may even crush a handful of dandelion leaves. Grind it and prepare a paste. Also, add two teaspoons of clarified butter in this paste. Mix it well. Now, gently heat the mixture and apply it on the goiter. Leave it for 15 minutes and then wash it off.
- Use the above remedies 1-2 times in a day for 2 weeks. It is one of the best home remedies for goiter treatment.
6.) Kanchanar to Prevent Goiter
It is also known as Bauhinia variegate. It is a very popular Ayurvedic remedy used for treating goiter effectively. It also helps in detoxifying the lymphatic system of our body. To apply this home remedy for goiter, follow these steps:
- Boil 10-15 gm of powdered bark of Kanchanar in a two-third cup of water at moderate temperature and heat.
- Just turn off the heat when the solution decreases to 40 ml or quarter of the original quantity.
- Strain it and drink it 1-2 times in a day before the meals.
- Use this natural home remedy for 2-3 months.
Note: Consult a doctor before applying this remedy.
7.) Use Sorrel Leaves to Treat Goiter
Sorrel leaves are rich in various minerals like iodine. Therefore, it helps in treating the goiter effectively. To apply this home remedy for goiter, follow these steps:
- Grind handful amount of sorrel leaves and prepare a paste of it.
- Now, mix 2 tablespoons of olive oil in this paste.
- Apply this paste on the infected area and leave it for 30 minutes.
- Rinse it with the help water.
- Follow this remedy on a regular basis until the swelling is gone.
8.) Green Tea to Get Rid of Goiter
It is considered to be one of the best herbal treatments to treat goiter naturally. Even the herbalists recommend drinking green tea on a regular basis to cure goiter. It is rich in various antioxidant properties and contains the high quantity of natural fluoride. All this helps in supporting the thyroid functioning. To prepare green tea, follow these steps:
- Pour hot water into a cup and add one teaspoon of green tea in it.
- Cover the cup and let it steep for five minutes.
- Strain it.
- Now, add honey in it.
- Mix it well and drink this, at least, three times in a day.
- So, use this natural treatment as it is one of the most effective home remedies for goiter treatment.
9.) Lemon Balm Tea to Avoid Goiter
It is another one of the greatest herbs to treat goiter. It is helpful for the people who get goiter due to the hyperthyroidism. This remedy helps in lowering the levels of TSH (Thyroid Stimulating Hormone), it even slows down the rate of the functioning of the pituitary gland. It is one of the effective home remedies for goiter that helps in treating it effectively. To apply this home remedy for goiter, follow these steps:
- Pour two tablespoons of fresh lemon balm or dried lemon balm in a cup.
- Now, add hot water to the cup.
- Cover the cup and steep it for 10 minutes.
- Strain the tea.
- Add little amount of honey in it.
- Drink this three times in a day.
Note: Avoid lemon balm if you are suffering from glaucoma.
10.) Eat Selenium Rich Foods to Prevent Goiter
To function optimally, our thyroid gland needs selenium. It is very important to eat selenium-rich foods, as its deficiency may cause a worst condition to the thyroid gland. It can even make your thyroid heavy. So, eat foods rich in selenium. They can treat goiter effectively by stimulating the production of thyroid hormone in our body. Some few of the foods rich in selenium are Brazil nuts, crab, sunflower seeds, barley, brown rice, meat, eggs, poultry, salmon, onions, fatty fish and many more. So, add it to your diet to fight from goiter. It is one of the most effective home remedies for goiter treatment.