This article deals with home remedies for hangnails. Hangnails refer to a condition in which a small torn piece of skin separates from the side of a cuticle. When the skin at the edge of nail becomes dry and get torn and sometime even bleeds, that piece of skin causes hangnail. Hangnail is very common, but it can be painful and can open doors to various infection if mistreated. Although, nails hold no serious health hazards, but still you must not try to bite it off, This is because, tearing it can cause bleeding and may attract bacteria to feast on it. These bacteria can infect your fingers adversely.
As our hands are always exposed to different activities, it can easily catch infection. It is quite difficult to notice any symptom until some infection appears. Therefore, it is necessary to look after your hangnail condition. If you are suffering from hangnails, below we have mentioned some of the best home remedies for hangnails. These remedies when followed properly can ease your condition effectively and quickly. Before moving to home remedies for hangnails, it is necessary to know the causes. Because if you will be aware of the causes, it will be easier for you to prevent hangnails.
Causes of Hangnails
- Dryness is the main cause for hangnails.
- In winters, skin dries out fast, causes hangnails.
- Biting nail
- Damage to nail bed.
- Pinching or plucking the torn skin.
- Frequent use of nail cutters to cut cuticles.
- Weak nail bed
- Damage to cuticle through nail cutter.
Home Remedies For Hangnails
- Home Remedies For Hangnails
- 1.) Honey as a Home Treatment for Hangnail
- 2.) Vitamin E oil as a Home Treatment for Hangnail
- 3.) Avocado as a Remedy for Hangnails
- 4.) Yogurt as a Remedy for Hangnail Solution
- 5.) Oatmeal Scrub as a Remedy for Hangnails
- 6.) Salt Water as an Infected Hangnail Home Remedy
- 7.) Oil Soak as a Remedy for Hangnails
- 8.) Turmeric as a Remedy for Painful Hangnail
- 9.) Petroleum Jelly as a Remedy to Cure Hangnails
- 10.) Almond as a Remedy for Hangnails Solution
- 11.) Aloe Vera to Get Rid of Hangnails
- 12.) Garlic as a Remedy to Get Rid of Hangnails
- 13.) White Cedar as a Remedy for Hangnails
- 14.) Olive Oil as a Remedy to Cure Hangnails
- 15.) Lavender Oil as a Remedy to Prevent Hangnails
- 16.) Beeswax to Get Rid of Hangnails
- 17.) White Clay to Cure Hangnails
- 18.) Calendula to Treat Hangnails
- 19.) Dental Floss to Get Rid of Hangnails
- 20.) Glycerin to Cure Hangnails
- 21.) Bentonite Clay to Get Rid of Hangnails
- 22.) Cuticle Softener to Get Rid of Hangnails
- Other Useful Tips For Hangnails:
1.) Honey as a Home Treatment for Hangnail
The simplest way to get rid of hangnail is to keep your nail beds moisturized. Honey can be very useful to reduce the loss of moisture. Honey has excellent anti-bacterial anti-inflammatory properties that helps to prevent and fight the infection. Honey is also very useful reducing inflammation.
- Simply apply raw honey (avoid processed honey) on the affected area.
- Leave it on for couple of hours. After few hours of application cuticle will get softer. Do not forget to wash and moisturize your hand later. Do this daily to avoid hangnail.
2.) Vitamin E oil as a Home Treatment for Hangnail
It is one the most effective and trustworthy remedies for hangnails. It helps in moistening and softening the nail bed. Also, Vitamin E is eases the healing process of hangnails. Here is the method of its application.
- You have to just apply Vitamin E oil directly on the affected area.
- Leave it on to get absorbed.
- Apply this oil 2 to 3 times a day until the problem is completely healed.
3.) Avocado as a Remedy for Hangnails
Avocado consist of Vitamin E, healthy fats and variety of other nutrients which are essential for the nourishment of the skin. Like honey, it also attracts and preserves the moisture. It is also considered one of the best natural remedies for hangnails.
- Extract pulp of 1/2 avocado and pound it well.
- Add 5 tsp of coconut oil in the pounded paste.
- After that, apply paste on your nails and leave it for whole night.
- It will moisturize and make cuticle softer.
- Rinse it off in the morning as you wake up.
- Do this process 3-4 time in a week for best results.
4.) Yogurt as a Remedy for Hangnail Solution
Yogurt is an another effective remedy for dealing with hangnails. It has numerous anti-inflammatory properties. Also, it acts as an excellent moisturizer. Here is the method to use yogurt.
- Dab plain yogurt with a cotton ball on the affected area.
- Let it get absorbed by the skin for couple of hours.
- After that, simply wash it off.
- Do this on daily basis until you get completely free from hangnails.
5.) Oatmeal Scrub as a Remedy for Hangnails
Oatmeal as an exfoliating scrub can help in reducing roughness, dryness. It is also helpful in removing dead skin around the nails. Oatmeal is known to be a great source of natural fat, vitamins and polysaccharides. All these nutrients help in moisturizing and healing the skin fast and effectively.
- Just crush one cup of oats in a shallow bowl and make it powdery completely.
- Immerse your both hand in the vessel and rub them together.
- Rub your palm, back of your hands and around the cuticle area.
- Later on, wash your hands and pat dry them.
- Apply a mild moisturizer cream on your hands.
6.) Salt Water as an Infected Hangnail Home Remedy
Salt has anti-bacterial properties, so it can be useful in order to get rid of hangnails and infection. This remedy is one of the most simple ways to cure hangnail fast. Here is the procedure to do it.
- Add 1 tbsp of salt in a glass of water.
- Dip your fingers in the solution at an interval of 1 hour to get rid of any infection causing hangnails.
7.) Oil Soak as a Remedy for Hangnails
This herbal remedy helps effectively in softening and moisturizing skin. For this remedy you just need to have water and some body oil. Application of this method will make easier to get rid of hangnail.
- Take 300 ml water in a shallow vessel and add a few drops of a body oil into the vessel.
- Dip your fingers in it for 15-20 minutes.
- Afterwards, wash your hands properly and pat dry.
- Clip out the softened hangnails.
- After clipping massage the surface around the cuticle using a moisturizing cream.
- You can add a few drops of lemon juice as well.
8.) Turmeric as a Remedy for Painful Hangnail
Turmeric has an exceptional anti-bacterial properties, which are useful in preventing hangnails from any kind of infection. It helps in getting rid of harmful toxins. It also helps in reducing inflammation and swelling.
- Take a sufficient amount of turmeric and mustard oil.
- Heat the mixture and apply it to the edges of the nails.
- Leave it for an hour. After an hour, wipe off the fingertips gently.
- Other than that, you can apply and leave the paste for overnight. But, remember to cover it with some clean bandage.
9.) Petroleum Jelly as a Remedy to Cure Hangnails
Petroleum jelly’s moisturizing properties is helpful in treating hangnails efficiently and effectively. It is very helpful in penetrating the nail through layer of skin. Simply apply it one the nail beds. Another method is listed below.
- Blend 1 tsp of petroleum jelly and 1/2 tsp of sesame oil together.
- Gently rub this mixture on your nails and leave it for night.
- Rinse it off in the morning when you wake up.
- Repeat this process every night to get rid of hangnails
10.) Almond as a Remedy for Hangnails Solution
Almonds are rich in Vitamin E which are beneficial for healing hangnails. They also contains fatty acids which can help in reducing inflammation and puffiness. All these features makes almond one of the best home remedies for hangnails.
- Immerse some almonds in water for whole night.
- In the morning, peel out the skin of all the almonds and grind them.
- Add it together with 1 beaten egg yolk and little bit of honey. Mix them well.
- Before sleeping, apply the prepared mixture on your fingernails and hands as well.
- Cover your hands with gloves. Leave it for whole night. Wash it off in the morning.
- Repeat this process 2-3 times a week for visible result.
11.) Aloe Vera to Get Rid of Hangnails
Aloe Vera is known for its soothing, healing and moisturizing properties. These qualities are very useful for treating hangnails. When Aloe Vera gel is mixed with turmeric powder, it helps in preventing hangnails from inflammation and infection as well.
- Add sufficient amount of turmeric in 1 tsp of Aloe Vera gel and make a paste.
- Apply this paste to the affected area and leave for half an hour.
- After half an hour, rinse it off with water.
- Repeat this process once a day for a few weeks before you find any improvement.
12.) Garlic as a Remedy to Get Rid of Hangnails
The powerful antibiotic properties of garlic are very effective for dealing with hangnails and preventing them from any infection. For quick result, mix it with any antiseptic herb such as Echinacea. Here is the method to do it.
- Simply Extract some garlic juice and add little bit of echinacea to it.
- Immerse a scissor in to the mixture for a few minutes.
- After that, take out the hangnails using scissor.
13.) White Cedar as a Remedy for Hangnails
Another one of the best home remedies for hangnails is white cedar. Thujone present in the white cedar helps in preventing the nails from getting brittle. You can buy some capsules available in the market for it. Take dosage as prescribed on the packet.
14.) Olive Oil as a Remedy to Cure Hangnails
Olive oil can also be very useful remedy to get rid of hangnails naturally. Massaging hands and fingertips with olive oil several times a day can do the trick to prevent hangnails. Polyphenols present in olive oil makes it an excellent antioxidant and anti-inflammatory agent.
- Add some olive herbs in 2 cups of lukewarm water. Also, add 5 tsp of olive oil to it.
- Immerse your fingertips in this mixture and repeat it several times a day to avoid hangnails.
15.) Lavender Oil as a Remedy to Prevent Hangnails
Lavender oil is popular for its fine antifungal, anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, antidepressant, antimicrobial, and antibacterial properties. All these qualities makes lavender oil an ideal remedy to deal with hangnail.
- Take 1 cup of water and 5-10 drops of lavender oil. Mix it well and spray over the dry parts of the nail.
- Repeat the process several times a day in order to keep your fingernails moisturized and bacteria free.
- You can also mix lavender oil with Chamomile oil to make a toner.
16.) Beeswax to Get Rid of Hangnails
This is one of the excellent choices to get rid of hangnails. The moisturizing properties of beeswax not only soften the nails but also strengthen it. When beeswax is combined with essential oils a smooth and protective layer is formed on the skin which prevents it from tearing. Follow the steps given below to get rid of hangnails.
- Mix two teaspoons each of coconut oil, olive oil and almond oil.
- Now, add 3 tablespoons of beeswax and 3 teaspoons of honey in it.
- Keep this mixture in the microwave for a few seconds so that it melts.
- Take the mixture out and mix a few drops of essential oils such as lavender oil or peppermint oil.
- Apply it properly on your nails and cuticles. Leave it for about 6 to 8 hours.
- Repeat this method on a regular basis to treat hangnails.
17.) White Clay to Cure Hangnails
This is one of the most effective remedies to cure hangnails. It is an excellent choice for both dry and sensitive skin. White clay exfoliates the skin and provides essential minerals that speed up the healing of hangnails. Follow the steps given below to get rid of hangnails.
- Take one teaspoon of white clay in a bowl.
- Add one teaspoon of olive oil and 3 drops of lavender oil to make a paste.
- Apply this paste on the nails and the cuticles.
- Wash off this paste after 15 to 20 minutes.
- Repeat this treatment twice a week on a regular basis.
18.) Calendula to Treat Hangnails
This is one of the best herbal remedies to treat hangnails. The healing qualities of calendula have made it a popular remedy. It cures injuries and heals wounds. Calendula is perfect for dry skin. Follow the steps given below to treat hangnails.
- Take some calendula oil in a bowl.
- Add thrice the amount of any other essential oil or almond oil.
- Pour this mixture in a jar and store it in the dark where the sunlight cannot reach.
- Keep it in the dark for the next 15 days.
- Shake the mixture and apply it on the nails and cuticles.
- Repeat this treatment on a regular basis to get rid of hangnails.
- Alternatively, prepare a cleanser by mixing one cup of calendula tea in Aloe Vera gel. Massage this mixture on the skin for a few minutes. Repeat this remedy regularly.
19.) Dental Floss to Get Rid of Hangnails
Dental floss is an excellent choice to help the ingrown nail to grow in correct direction. This can be done by placing the dental floss under the ingrown nail edge. You need to lift up the corner of the nail that is digging deep into the skin. All you need to do is take a small cotton piece and roll it with your fingers to create a small roll. Place this small roll under the ingrown nail.
Another thing that you can do is use a dental floss. Make sure that it is not flavored otherwise it will cause a burning sensation. Dental floss will keep the nail elevated and encourage it to grow outwards and away from the skin. Though this is a little uncomfortable but is very effective. Another thing that you can do is soak your nail in essential oils. Every time you soak your nail try to push the nail a little farther. You have to change the roll every day. After 2 weeks your nail will probably grow out.
20.) Glycerin to Cure Hangnails
This is one of the best home remedies to rectify the problem of hangnails. Glycerin is a humectant that injects the much needed moisture into the skin. It prevents the hangnail condition. Glycerin attracts moisture from the process of osmosis through the atmosphere. Pure glycerin is an excellent choice to moisturize the skin. Follow the steps given below to get rid of hangnails.
- Mix one teaspoon of pure glycerin in the gel of vitamin E capsule.
- Mix these ingredients well and massage this mixture on the nails and cuticles.
- Allow this mixture to stay on your nails for the next 10 minutes.
- Rinse your hands with lukewarm water.
- Repeat this remedy on a regular basis to cure hangnails.
21.) Bentonite Clay to Get Rid of Hangnails
This is one of the best home remedies to get rid of hangnails. This healing clay to remove the toxins from the body. It softens the skin and reduces inflammation. Bentonite clay is an amazing healer and is also a perfect choice to heal wounds. It stops the bleeding in cut arteries. It prevents the wounds from getting infected. Bentonite clay will prevent the hangnail from any new infection. It minimizes the swelling and soothes the skin. It is a perfect remedy for both dry and sensitive skin. Bentonite clay is completely non irritant. Follow the steps given below to cure hangnails.
- Take a small amount of bentonite clay in a bowl.
- Add enough water to make a thick paste.
- Massage this paste onto your hangnail.
- Cover the nail with a piece of wet gauze and wrap it with a bandage.
- Replace the old clay with the fresh clay several times a day.
- Repeat this treatment on a regular basis until the redness and swelling disappears.
22.) Cuticle Softener to Get Rid of Hangnails
A cuticle softener can be of great help if you suffer from frequent hangnails. This DIY cuticle softener will improve the health of your nails and save your lot of bucks. The olive oil used in this remedy is known for its antioxidant and moisturizing properties. Another important ingredient used in this cuticle softener is coconut oil which is known for its antibacterial and healing properties. The glycerin used in this remedy is natural humectants. The eucalyptus essential oil used in this cuticle softener reduces the pain and inflammation. It prevents the infection in the hangnails. Follow the steps given below to get rid of hangnails.
- Take 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a bowl. Warm oil gets absorbed in the skin.
- Add one tablespoon of coconut oil. Mix one tablespoon of glycerin in it.
- Add 5 to 6 drops of eucalyptus essential oil in it. Mix all the oils together.
- Soak your hands in a bowl of warm water for about 15 minutes.
- Pat your hands dry with a soft towel.
- Now, apply this prepared cuticle softener to moisturize the nails and speed up the healing process.
- Repeat this treatment twice a day until you get relief from hangnails.
Other Useful Tips For Hangnails:
- Go for regular manicures to prevent hangnails. Apply good quality products on your nails.
- Don’t cut your cuticles. Don’t go for frequent nail makeup or treatments as the toxic chemicals in it can damage your nails.
- Consume foods loaded with calcium, iron and vitamin B. Make sure your nail beds are properly moisturized.
- Don’t bite off your hangnails. Use nail scissors to clip off the hangnail.