In this article, you will get to know about some home remedies for hiccups treatment. Hiccups are most common and occur suddenly. Sometimes hiccups may be problematic for you. Hiccups occur when the thin layer of muscle that separates your chest cavity from your abdomen suddenly and spontaneously tightens. Hiccups sound is produced when the vocal cords have been closed suddenly by each contraction. There are several factors that cause hiccups such as overeating, eating spicy foods, drinking carbonated drinks, eating too fast, smoking and emotional stress. Hiccups can be irritating and embarrassing when you are in the public area. So we need to stop hiccups. But how can we stop hiccups? To stop hiccups, there are some home remedies that will help you a lot.
Types of Hiccups:
- Intractable Hiccups- This type of hiccups are those which last longer more than a month.
- Protracted or Persistent Hiccups- This type of hiccups is those which last longer more than 48 hours.
Symptoms of Hiccups:
- When the vocal cord has been closed, then a ‘hic’ sound is produced.
- Abdominal pain is the symptom of the hiccup.
- Slightly tightening sensation in your chest.
Causes of Hiccups:
- Eating fast and eating too much.
- Drinking alcohol
- Swallowing excess air.
- Drinking too much cold and then hot beverages.
Home Remedies for Hiccups Treatment:
Here are the home remedies to cure hiccups.
1.) Inhale Black Pepper for Hiccups Treatment
- Black pepper is one of the best home remedies for hiccups.
- Black pepper is a good respiratory mechanism to treat hiccups.
- It helps to interrupt diaphragm’s contractions.
- Inhale some black pepper that will help you to get relief from hiccups.
2.) Breathing Exercise to Stop Hiccups Fast & Naturally
- Breathing exercises are the best home remedy for hiccups that you can do anywhere. Inhale air as much as you can. Then push your stomach out so that you can hold your breath for at least 20 seconds. After that exhale slowly and starts backward counting from 20. Repeat this procedure 3 to 4 times.
- Do some exercises like squats, jumping jacks, and sit-ups to reset your breathing pattern.
- Open your mouth as much as you can. Then hold it for at least 20 seconds. Without closing your mouth, try to swallow if you need.
- Take a seat on the floor. But your back should be against a wall. Then inhale and exhale slowly. Then draw your knee up and hug them.
3.) Eating Peanut Butter to Treat Hiccups Naturally
- Peanut butter is helpful to cure hiccups as it is a very delightful home remedy for hiccups.
- Chew some peanut butter.
- It reduces the chances of contraction of diaphragm muscles.
4.) Drink Water by Using Paper Towel to Cure Hiccups
- Take a single sheet of paper towel and then put it on the top of a glass of water.
- Then, try to drink water through a paper towel.
- It is hard to drink water, which works against spasmodic muscle movements.
- This process contributes to interrupt diaphragm’s contractions.
5.) Drink Water Without Using Hand to Stop Hiccups
- Take a cup of water and put it on the chair.
- Then sit on another chair.
- Bend down and drink water without using your hands to hold that cup of water.
6.) Drink Cardamom Beverage to Cure Hiccups Fast
- Cardamom beverage belongs to the ginger family.
- To treat hiccups put a tincture of this spice in boiling water. Then drink it slowly.
- Another remedy is, you can also add two cardamoms with 6 mint leaves in one cup of boiling water. Then drink it slowly for best results.
7.) Gargle with Ice and Warm Water to Get Rid of Hiccups
- Gargling with ice and warm water is a very effective home remedy for hiccups.
- This remedy is helpful to prevent inhaling.
- It increases the level of carbon dioxide in the blood and also changes the temperature of a few brain nerves. It helps to disturb the diaphragm for treating hiccups.
8.) Drink Dill Tea to Get Rid of Hiccups Naturally
- Dill tea is an effective home remedy for hiccups.
- Take one cup of water in a vessel and boil it.
- Add one teaspoon of dried dill leaves in boiling water.
- Cover the boiling vessel, and leave it for 15 minutes.
- Then, let the tea cool down. Sip this cool tea slowly.
9.) Drink Ice Cold Water Hiccups Treatment
- Drink some ice cold water slowly.
- Drinking ice cold water that will help to change the ‘esophagus’ temperature, resulting in halting hiccups.
10.) Mint Beverage for Hiccups Treatment
- Mint beverages are one of the best home remedy for hiccups, which is made up of fresh mint leaves.
- Take some mint leaves and mix it with a pinch of salt, a fresh juice of a lemon and lukewarm water.
- This mixture is helpful to reduce the irritation of the diaphragm.
11.) Lemon to Get Rid of Hiccups Naturally
- Lemon is one of the best home remedies for treating hiccups.
- Lemon can stop hiccups easily.
- Take a slice of peeled lemon and put it on your tongue for a few minutes.
- As it is sour in taste, it can overcome the surrounding nerves when it comes in contact with the taste buds.
12.) Ginger to Cure Hiccups Naturally & Fast
- Ginger is a most popular spice that is used to treat a variety of diseases.
- Ginger has a strong flavor which overcomes the senses to interrupt the diaphragm for halting hiccups.
- Peel a piece of fresh ginger and chew it slowly.
13.) Sugar to Get Rid of Hiccups Fast
- Sugar is a good home remedy for hiccups.
- Take a teaspoon of sugar and put it on the back of your tongue.
- Then let it melt.
- Don’t try to swallow sugar until the sugar is totally dissolved.
14.) Pull Your Tongue Out for Hiccups Treatment
- Pulling your tongue out helps to stop hiccups.
- You can also use your fingers to pull your tongue.
- This procedure will interrupt or reset diaphragm spasm.
15.) Have Pickle or Vinegar to Stop Hiccups
- Pickle or vinegar is also good to stop hiccups because both are sour in taste.
- Due to this property, it could stop hiccups.
16.) Sip Some Hot Sauce to Treat Hiccups
- This remedy will definitely work because the heat and burn will help to interrupt diaphragm and breathing patterns also.
- Sipping something hot is one of the effective home remedies for hiccups treatment.
17.) Psychological Techniques for Hiccups
- One of the best technique that you can do at your home is, play your favorite song. Then do the dance on that song. This is very helpful to cure hiccups.
- You can also play the alphabet game. Take a random subject and try to find out a related term for each letter of the alphabet. The alphabet should start with A and work sequentially to Z. By playing this game, you can stop hiccups.
18.) Tricks to Stop Hiccups Fast
- Have someone to disturb you. But it should be a good scare. This method may be effective to stop hiccups.
- Tickling is also a good method to reset your breathing. But make sure that the person likes being tickled.
- Asking an odd question is helpful to convert into a conversation. This is the best method to reset your diaphragm.