In this article we will suggest you some of the best home remedies for diaper rash treatment. Diaper rash also known as “nappy rash” or “diaper dermatitis’. It is a common condition of inflamed skin in babies. Such rashes can be easily identified by red or pink colored patches on the baby’s bottom. It usually occurs in infants and babies under 2 years of age. It is so common that almost every baby suffer diaper rash once or more during the first 2 years. Diaper rash condition is mainly related to wet diapers that are not changed frequently. It is also related to sensitive skin and chafing. Such rashes can be mild or severe. It causes prickly red spots, with soft red bumps in the area. It can also spread to the baby’s thighs and tummy. Diaper rash can cause a bacterial infection which can worsen the condition. Therefore, you need to take extra care of your baby if he/she is suffering with diaper rash. Below we have suggested some home remedies for diaper rash treatments. These remedies can come handy to ease the condition safely and effectively. But, before we begin with the remedies, let us have a look at the causes and symptoms of diaper rash.
Causes of Diaper Rash:
- Exposure to a moist diaper (due to urine or stool) for a very long.
- Infection due to bacteria or yeast.
- Sensitive skin
- Not changing diaper frequently.
- Digestive issues
- Too tight diaper
Symptoms of Diaper Rash:
Home Remedies for Diaper Rash Treatment
1.) Petroleum Jelly for Diaper Rash Treatment
It is advised to apply a thin layer of petroleum jelly on the baby’s bottom every time you change the diaper. Petroleum jelly helps protect the skin area from irritation and infection caused due to urine and stool. It is one of the most effective home remedies for diaper rash. Here is the method.
Directions to Use Petroleum Jelly for Nappy Rash Treatment:
- Clean baby’s bottom with warm water every time you change the dirty diaper.
- Dry the skin properly with a towel.
- After drying with a towel, Leave the skin for 3-5 minutes before applying petroleum jelly.
- Apply petroleum jelly every time you need to change diapers.
- This way rashes will heal faster.
2.) Coconut Oil as a Diaper Rash Home Remedy
Coconut oil is known for having fine anti-fungal and antimicrobial Properties. Thus, it is quite useful to treat diaper rashes. Coconut oil is also an excellent moisturizer, which gives a curing and soothing effect on your baby’s skin. Plus, it also prevents yeast infection like candida.
Directions to Uses Coconut Oil for Yeast Diaper Rash:
- Take a few drops of coconut oil and firmly apply on the diaper area several times a day.
- Alternatively, You can add a few tablespoons of coconut oil to the baby’s bath water for added moisturizing.
3.) Shea Butter to Prevent Diaper Rash Naturally
Shea butter is known to have anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal and anti-yeast properties. Thus, it help prevent and heal diaper rash fast and naturally. This is one of the most excellent remedies for diaper rash. Shea butter includes beneficial vegetable fats as well. It helps promote generation of cells, improve blood circulation.
Directions to Use Shea Butter to Cure Diaper Rash:
- Clean your baby’s soft skin with mild baby soap and lukewarm water.
- Let the skin dry by itself.
- Apply and massage pure melted shea butter firmly on the affected area.
- Leave it for several minutes to get absorbed by the skin before putting a clean or new diaper.
4.) French Green Clay for Diaper Rash
French green clay is another highly effective home remedy to get rid of diaper dermatitis caused due to bacterial or yeast infection. French green clay helps cure the rashes from spreading further. It also heals the baby’s soft skin faster.
Directions to Use French Clay for Diaper Dermatitis:
- Sprinkle a little amount of French green clay over the irritated skin area every time you change diapers.
- Regular application will prevent infection.
5.) Plantain Oil to Get Rid of Nappy Rash Treatment
It is one of the best home remedies for diaper rash. Plantain oil is highly recommended remedy to reduce the pain caused due to rashes. Plantain oil helps prevent rash caused due to some allergic reaction. This oil acts as an anti-allergic agent. It gives quick relief from inflammation.
Directions to Use Plantain Oil to Cure Nappy Rash:
- Takes some fresh plantain leaves and crush them.
- Place them around your baby’s soft skin whenever you change the diapers.
- Other than that, you can also apply plantain oil simply on the baby’s skin before making him/her wear a fresh diaper.
6.) Corn Starch to Cure Diaper Rash
Corn starch is also among the best remedies for diaper rash treatment. Moisture is one of the causes responsible for diaper rash. Cornstarch helps soak up moisture. It is quite helpful for keeping your baby’s skin dry. It also prevents diaper friction causing diaper rash.
Directions to Use Corn Starch to Prevent Diaper Rash:
- Remove the dirty diaper. Clean your baby’s affected skin with lukewarm water.
- Pat dry the area gently with a clean and dry towel.
- Leave the skin for a few minutes to dry naturally.
- Sprinkle cornstarch evenly on the affected skin before making him/her wear a fresh diaper.
- Repeat this every time you change a diaper.
7.) Vinegar for Diaper Rash Treatment
Urine is highly alkaline in nature. It can irritate your baby’s skin adversely. To balance out the irritation, vinegar is the best solution. Vinegar helps soothe your baby’s inflamed or irritated skin. If you use cloth diapers or reusable diapers, wash them in the vinegar every time.
Directions to Use Vinegar to Prevent Nappy rash:
- Mix 1 ½ cup of vinegar in a bucket filled half with water. Mix it well.
- Use this water to wash your baby’s diapers.
- This will help prevent urine smell in the diapers.
- You can also clean your baby’s bottom by mixing 1 tsp of white vinegar in 1 cup of water.
- This way you can prevent your baby’s bottom from any bacterial or yeast infection.
8.) Baking Soda for Nappy Rash Treatment
Baking soda is another quite effective remedy to treat irritation or inflammation caused due to diaper rash. Baking soda is known to have fine curative properties which helps to get rid of diaper rash safer and faster.
Directions to Use Baking Soda to Treat Bad Diaper Rash:
- Mix 2 tbsp of baking soda in 4 cups of warm water.
- Clean your baby’s affected skin with this mixture, every time you change diapers.
- Use a clean, dry cloth to pat the skin dry before making your baby wear a new diaper.
9.) Oatmeal Remedy for Bad Diaper Rash
Oatmeal contains a high amount of protein. It helps soothe your child’s soft skin fast. Oatmeal also helps maintain the skin’s natural defending layer. It is also known to have a chemical compound called saponin. Saponin helps remove excess oil and dirt from your child’s skin pores.
- Mix 1 tbsp of dried oatmeal in warm bath water.
- Make your baby sit in the water for 5-10 minutes.
- After that, bathe your child with the solution.
- The solution will give a soothing effect to your child’s skin.
- Repeat this twice daily to cure diaper rash fast.
10.) Breast Milk for Diaper Rash Treatment
The importance of breast milk to an infant are known to everyone. It is the first food given to a baby. Breast milk is very helpful in treating diaper rash as well. It helps protect your baby from infection. In addition to this, breast milk helps prevent allergic reaction which can ruin the condition further.
Directions to Use Breast Milk to Cure Bad Diaper Rash:
- Just apply a few drops of breast milk on the baby’s affected skin or as required.
- Leave the area to get dry naturally.
- After skin gets properly dry, put on a fresh diaper.