In this article we will discuss different home remedies for influenza flu treatment. Influenza flu is a highly communicable respiratory illness cause by influenza virus. This flu mainly infects the nose, throat and lungs. It can cause mild to very severe illness. Sometimes, it can even lead to death. Children under 5, adults above 65, people with weak immune system and pregnant women are more prone to get infected with this viral infection. This flu virus spread mostly when an already sick person coughs, sneezes or talk. The particles from this cough, sneeze or talking can land into the other nearby person’s mouth. One can get infected by touching a surface or object that already has the flu virus on it. After touching such surface or object, then touching eyes, mouth or nose. One may be able to infect others before even knowing that he/she is already sick. A healthy person can also infect others starting 1 day prior to symptom appears and up to 1 week after getting sick. If not treated timely and properly, this flu can even cause life. You can prevent yourself from the flu by getting vaccinated every year. Also, you can even prevent and cure it by following simple home remedies for influenza flu which are listed below. But, let us know about the causes and symptoms first.
Causes of Influenza Flu:
- Getting in direct contact of a sick person by handshake or hug.
- Infected through the air, when a sick person coughs, sneezes or talks.
- Touching an infected surface or object that already has a virus on it. And touching your mouth, eyes, nose after touching such surface or object.
- A low immune system.
- Change in weather
Symptoms of Influenza Flu:
- Chills, or sweats
- Pain in body and muscle.
- Sore throat
- Stuffy or runny nose
- Nasal congestion
- Vomiting or diarrhea
Home Remedies for Influenza Flu Treatment:
1.) Steam as a Remedy of Influenza Flu Treatment
Steam shower is very helpful in easing your nasal passage from congestion. It aids in cleaning you from sinuses and stuffy nose. Other than taking steamy shower, you can use the following remedy to cure influenza flu.
- Boil some water in a pan.
- Place it on the table and move your head over the pan.
- Cover your head and pan with a towel. This will be help you to inhale more steam.The inhalation will help in clearing your nasal passage, stuffy nose, and also improve your sinuses. Adding peppermint leaves will help in relieving from congestion.
2.) Humidifier as a Remedy of Influenza Flu Treatment
Moist air eases the nasal congestion and soothes sore throat. Other than taking a steamy shower or inhale steam as recommended above, you can also opt for a humidifier to dampen the air.
- Add a few drops of peppermint oil to the humidifier, which will make it more successful in getting rid of influenza flu.
- Keep the humidifier always clean as soggy conditions may help bacteria grow in it.
- Simply add some peppermint oil or leaves to a boiled water and keep it in your room.
- Close the room to keep steam intact. It will help you get rid of influenza flu faster.
- Prefer distilled water as undistilled water may draw germs and bacteria to multiply and deteriorate your condition more.
3.) Echinacea as a Natural Remedy to Treat Influenza Flu Fast
The influenza Flu virus weakens your immunity to battle against the virus which is making you suffer from this condition. Strong immunity prevents one from getting sick by fighting various viral infections. For having stronger immunity, use echinacea. Echinacea stimulates the immune system and helps get rid of influenza faster.
- Echinacea is available in powder, pills, and even tea form as well.
- You can take pills or powder directly.
- Drink 2-3 cups of echinacea tea regularly.
- It is also among the most effective remedies for influenza flu.
4.) Liquid Diet to Get Rid of Influenza Flu Naturally and Fast
Influenza flu can make you vomit, which can cause dehydration in the body due to lack of fluid. So, it is important to keep a check on water level in your body. Increase the fluid diet to keep yourself well hydrated. It is also among the best remedies for influenza flu.
- Take water, juices, electrolyte drinks, soda.
- Avoid drinks which include caffeine as it supports dehydration.
- Instead of caffeinated drinks, go for herbal tea like green tea, peppermint tea and other herbal tea.
- Take small sips to prevent vomiting it back.
- You can see your urine color to test whether you are taking sufficient liquid diet or not. Its color should be pale yellow or almost colorless.
5.) Vitamin C as a Remedy for Influenza Flu
Vitamin C is an essential remedy for a strong immune system. Strong immunity helps you fight various viruses and diseases. Include Vitamin C foods in your daily diet. As our body discards excess of Vitamin C and does not store it, it is advised to take Vitamin C foods at regular interval.
- Go for Vitamin C rich foods such as includes oranges, papaya, pineapple, guava, broccoli, cauliflower, sprouts, chili peppers, Kiwi, citrus fruits. Eat them raw or drink juice of it.
- Instead, you can even take vitamin C supplements to meet up your daily need of Vitamin C.
- It is one of the best home remedies for influenza flu.
6.) Suckers to Avoid Influenza Flu
Throat lozenges, cough drop, candies is another effective method to ease a sore throat, congestion, coughs. Consider it just a way to divert your mind from your state. It’s not really serving as a cure for influenza flu, but it doesn’t mean it is useless. Including it in your treatment will keep you away from soreness, cough and congestion.
7.) Sleep a Lot to Avoid Influenza Flu Naturally
The best method to fight influenza flu is to sleep more (more than you think you require). Sleeping will let your body concentrate more on repairing and maintaining your body’s function. Thus, sleeping more will help your body to get rid of the virus naturally and fast. It will also help in boosting your immunity.
An adult needs at least 8 hours of sleep in a day. While a person, below 18 or above 60, needs a minimum 10 hours of sleep in a day. Because our ability to fight disease is strongest between 18-65 as compared to rest. Drink peppermint tea before you sleep to reduce irritation caused due to congestion.
8.) Salt Water Gargle to Get Rid of Influenza Flu
Salt water gargle is another one of the most effective remedies for influenza flu. It reduces germs and bacteria causing sore throat. For sore throat, follow the below mentioned directions.
- Add 1 tsp of salt to a cup of warm water and gargle.
- Gargling will reduce swelling, pain and irritation in your throat.
- It also helps out in taking care of nasal congestion.
- Gargle with warm salt water 3 to 4 times a day to get rid of influenza flu fast.
9.) Green Tea as a Remedy of Influenza Flu
Green tea is known to be a verified herb to cure influenza flu. Its antioxidant properties and many other qualities are very beneficial for flu treatment. It includes a compound which helps to promote cells and heals the respiratory system. It repairs lungs and damaged intestine in the body. It also controls flu from further affecting your body internally.
- Drinking 3 to 4 cup of green tea daily will surely help you get rid of influenza flu faster.
- Drink it every day to maintain good health for the rest of your life.
- It is also one of the best home remedies for influenza flu.
10.) Proper Hygiene to Prevent Influenza Flu Fast
Influenza flu is a highly transmittable viral infection. That is why it is necessary to keep yourself clean as much as you can. Blowing nose can transfer the virus to your hands. At that time, touching face, body, doorknob, etc. can transfer the virus everywhere. Such infection can spread to your family members and can also deteriorate your condition more.
- For precaution, Shower in warm water, always use a new and clean tissue when you blow your nose.
- As generally hands are the main carrier of germs and bacteria, you should keep a hand sanitizer handy. This will protect you from getting affected through contaminated surface.