If your vocal cords become inflamed due to irritation, infection, or overuse, then remember you are suffering from laryngitis. Laryngitis is a condition which is a result of inflammation in the vocal cords. Well, if you are suffering from such condition, then don’t forget to use various home remedies for laryngitis treatment to recover soon from it.
Causes of Laryngitis:
Here are few causes of acute laryngitis:
- Viral infections
- Giving strain to the throat by talking or yelling more than normal.
- Bacterial infections (it happens in rare conditions).
Here are few causes of chronic laryngitis like:
- Frequent exposure to harmful chemicals or allergens.
- Acid reflux
- Suffering from a continuous sinus infection.
- Smoking or being around smokers.
- Overusing your vocal chords.
- Suffering from low-grade yeast infections that are caused due to the frequent use of an asthma inhaler.
Symptoms of Laryngitis:
- Weakened voice
- Loss of voice
- Dry throat
- Constant tickling or minor throat irritation.
- Dry cough
Home Remedies for Laryngitis:
- Home Remedies for Laryngitis:
- 1.) Apple Cider Vinegar for Laryngitis Treatment
- 2.) Onion Syrup for Laryngitis Treatment
- 3.) Warm Salt Water to Cure Laryngitis
- 4.) Lemon Juice to Treat Laryngitis
- 5.) Ginger for Laryngitis Treatment
- 6.) Garlic to Avoid Laryngitis
- 7.) Slippery Elm to Treat Laryngitis
- 8.) Eucalyptus Oil to Cure Laryngitis
- 9.) Licorice to Get Rid of Laryngitis
- 10.) Honey for Laryngitis Treatment
Here are few effective home remedies that you may follow to get rid of laryngitis.
1.) Apple Cider Vinegar for Laryngitis Treatment
It contains amazing antimicrobial properties that help in fighting the vocal cord infections. Thus, it is one of the effective home remedies for laryngitis. To prepare this remedy, follow these steps:
- Take half cup of water and mix one tablespoon of honey and two tablespoons of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar in it.
- To increase the efficiency of this solution, you can even add a little cayenne pepper in it.
- Drink it twice in a day.
- The other alternate way is to prepare a solution by mixing one tablespoon of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar in a glass of warm water.
- You can use this solution to gargle.
2.) Onion Syrup for Laryngitis Treatment
It acts as a natural expectorant that works as an effective natural cure for larynx inflammation. To prepare this remedy, follow these steps:
- Just cut three or four medium-sized onions. Grind these pieces in four cups of water until this solution becomes like syrup.
- After this, just mix five tablespoons of the onion syrup in a glass of warm water.
- Also, mix one tablespoon of honey and a few little drops of lemon juice in this solution.
- Mix it well and prepare a mixture and sip it slowly.
3.) Warm Salt Water to Cure Laryngitis
Warm salt water plays a major role in killing the bacteria and promoting healing of your inflamed vocal cords. It is one of the best home remedies for laryngitis. You can prepare it easily by adding one-half teaspoon of salt to one cup of warm water. Use this solution to gargle. Apply this remedy several times a day.
4.) Lemon Juice to Treat Laryngitis
Lemon juice has acidic nature that helps in killing various bacteria and providing relieve from various problems associated with laryngitis. Plus, it helps in loosening mucus. To prepare this remedy, follow these steps:
- Just squeeze one lemon juice in a glass of water.
- Mix one and a half teaspoon of sea salt in the solution. (you can even use table salt if you don’t have sea salt)
- Use this solution to gargle.
- Use this remedy several times in a day.
5.) Ginger for Laryngitis Treatment
Fresh ginger plays a major role in providing the soothing effect on the mucous membranes of the larynx. Hence, it is one of the most effective home remedies for laryngitis. To prepare this remedy, follow these steps:
- Take water in a covered pan and boil sliced ginger in it for 10 minutes. Now, just Strain the liquid and allow this solution to cool down to the room temperature. You can even add few drop of lemon in the solution. To provide the sweetening effect, you can also add honey to it. Mix it well and drink this ginger tea on a regular basis.
- The other alternate way is to suck on a few thin slices of fresh ginger root on a regular basis, whenever you feel irritation in the throat.
6.) Garlic to Avoid Laryngitis
Garlic contains antimicrobial properties that help in killing various bacteria and viruses present in the throat. It is also one of the best natural expectorants that makes it one of the most amazing remedies for laryngitis treatment. To prepare this remedy, follow these steps:
- Start chewing garlic clove slowly and after that swallow it.
- Another alternate way is to chop several garlic cloves. After this, place them place into a jar containing equal parts of unfiltered and raw apple cider vinegar with distilled water. Cover this jar.
- Now, shake the jar well. Just mix the contents completely. After this, let this solution sit for 4 hours. You can even add few drops of honey in this solution. Keep it in the refrigerator. Start consuming 1-3 teaspoons of garlic syrup after every 6-8 hours.
7.) Slippery Elm to Treat Laryngitis
Slippery elm contains mucilage that gets formed into a gel-like substance when it is mixed with water. Hence, it plays a major role in getting rid of inflammation and irritation. To prepare this remedy, follow these steps:
- Just place some few fresh slippery elm in water. It will get formed into a gel. Swallow this gel on a regular basis several times in a day to get rid of irritation and inflammation.
- You can also use slippery elm lozenges.
Note: Don’t consume it if your pregnant and breastfeeding women.
8.) Eucalyptus Oil to Cure Laryngitis
Eucalyptus oil contains natural antibacterial and antiviral properties that make it one of the best cures for treating laryngitis. It provides a soothing effect on the throat. To prepare this remedy, follow these steps:
- The best way to cure laryngitis is to inhale the steam of eucalyptus oil.
- To prepare this remedy, just add a few drops of eucalyptus oil with boiled water in a pan. Inhale the steam from the solution for 10 minutes. Also, don’t forget to cover your head with a towel while inhaling this solution.
- Use this remedy on a regular basis twice a day.
- The other alternate way is to try lozenges and cough syrups containing eucalyptus oil.
9.) Licorice to Get Rid of Laryngitis
Licorice plays a major role in providing relief in throat irritation. It even contains great antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties that make it one of the most effective home remedies for laryngitis. It helps in getting rid of mucus as it acts as a natural expectorant. To prepare this remedy, follow these steps:
- Take a cup of water and boil one teaspoon of dried licorice root in it for 5 minutes. Strain this solution.
- Drink this licorice tea at least 2-3 times in a day.
- You can even try licorice lozenges.
Note: This remedy is not recommended for breastfeeding the mother and pregnant women.
10.) Honey for Laryngitis Treatment
Honey is the best remedy that provides relief and soothing effect on a sore throat. It even helps in reducing inflammation. To prepare this remedy, follow these steps:
- The simple way to treat laryngitis is to swallow honey few times in a day.
- You can even make honey add lemon herbal tea to treat laryngitis. To prepare it, just add the juice of one and a half lemon in a cup of hot water. Also, add 2-3 tablespoons of raw honey in it. You can even add little amount of cayenne pepper to it. Mix it well and drink this tea twice in a day.
Other Tips to Prevent Laryngitis:
Here are few tips that you may follow to prevent laryngitis.
- Start drinking plenty of water. Also, eat raw fruits and vegetables to prevent laryngitis.
- Also, consume 1,000-3,000mg of vitamin C and 10,00-20,000 I.U of vitamin A nutrients for boosting the immunity system.
- Add foods like ginger, candied ginger, pineapple, honey, lemon, garlic and mustard to your diet. These spicy ingredients are very important for preventing laryngitis.
- You may also perform relaxing exercises to prevent laryngitis. One of the most common reasons for laryngitis is anxiety. So, it is recommended to perform relaxing exercises to prevent laryngitis.
- Perform respiratory exercises to prevent laryngitis.