This article is about Home remedies for lower back pain. If you find difficulty while moving, walking, seating for long hours, then you might be suffering from lower back pain. The problem is common among people who lift heavy weight. The pain is characterized by local soreness, when touched, severe muscle spasm, regular pain in the back, groin, buttock or upper this. Lower back pain or sciatica problem is prevalent among more than the half population of America. There are various treatment which promises to cure the pain, however, they are too expensive and does not give promised results as well. So it’s better to go natural and follow household remedies for lower back pain. Read more, to know about home remedies for lower back pain.
Causes of Lower Back Pain:
- Household Remedies for Lower Back Pain Treatment:
- 1.) Cold and Heat Therapy for Lower Back Pain
- 2.) Stretch Hamstrings for Lower Back Pain
- 3.) Do Not Think About the Pain
- 4.) Take Proper Sleep to Cure Lower Back Pain
- 5.) Massage as a Remedy for Lower Back Pain
- 6.) Ginger as a Remedy for Lower Back Pain
- 7.) Garlic as a Remedy for Lower Back Pain
- 8.) Epsom Salt as a Remedy for Lower Back Pain
- 9.) Chamomile Tea as a Remedy for Lower Back Pain
- 10.) Correct your Body Posture
- Injury at the back
- Unstable posture
- Strain in back muscles while lifting heavy weight.
- Strain ligaments, twisting
- Sudden movement, which stretches muscle or ligaments.
Household Remedies for Lower Back Pain Treatment:
1.) Cold and Heat Therapy for Lower Back Pain
For instant relief, massage ice pack on lower back. It temporarily blocks pain signals and reduces the inflammation and swelling. The homemade ice pack is one of the affordable and convenient remedies for lower back pain. Take a soft, clean towel and wrap ice cubes in it or put some ice cubes in the bag of frozen peas or corns. Your ice pack is ready. Place this pack on the affected area for 20-25 minutes. For batter results, follow this remedy 4-5 times a day.
Similarly, you can also apply heat pack on your back. It regulates the blood flow and restricts pain messages, sent to the brain which gradually heal the pain. Simply, rub your back with a hot pad or hot water bottle or you can opt for the hot bath in shower or tub as well.
2.) Stretch Hamstrings for Lower Back Pain
Hamstrings are tendons at the back of the knee. Stretching the hamstrings gently is one of the easiest remedies for lower back pain. While stretching, the hamstrings get loose and eliminate the pain. Stiff hamstrings put extra pressure on the back and sacroiliac joint which gives way to back pain. This remedy should be followed 2 times in a day.
Exercise which Involves Gentle Stretches Hamstrings are:
- Standing Hamstring Stretch – Stand straightly and gently. Try to touch your toes, loose your arms. Don’t repeat the exercise when you feel pain in the hamstring.
- Chair Hamstring Stretch – Sit on the chair and place your one leg on another chair and try to touch your toes. Repeat the exercise with another leg. In this way, less force is applied on the back and it will not hurt.
- Towel Hamstring Stretch – Place a mat and lie down straight, pull your one leg up and wrap a towel around the ankle hold the towel tightly and gently stretch your leg. This exercise involves less stretching.
- Wall Hamstring Stretching – Lie down on the floor and gently raise your one leg. Make sure your knees are straight and buttock touches the wall. Repeat the exercise with another leg. Follow thIS exercise two times a day to get rid of the lower back.
3.) Do Not Think About the Pain
According to the pain specialist, the way brain receives the pain messages and process the pain signals in the body play an important role. So it is very important to keep the brain engrossed in different things so that it does not get time to receive the pain messages.
Different Techniques for Engaging Brain are:
- Relax Your Body – The basic remedy to cure any pain is relaxation therapy. Relax your body, take a deep breath and release your tension from muscles. The process will gradually relieve the pain. You can play relaxation tap also. Meditation is believed to be the best way for relaxation.
- Distraction Technique – Distract your brain from thinking about pain by thinking positive, chanting positive words or phrases. Or, watch your favorite television show or movie, read a book, listen to music or have a chat with your best friend to divert your mind from the pain.
4.) Take Proper Sleep to Cure Lower Back Pain
Lower back pain can be the result of the inability to sleep or lack of sleep. Inadequate sleep can worsen the condition. In general, people with chronic back pain suffer from sleeping disorders as well.
- To cure sleeping disorders decrease the intake of caffeine and over the counter medicines. Moreover, eat correct food.
- Alternatively, practice breathing exercise regularly. To get sound sleep, play a soft and soothing music in the background and don’t think about the pain.
- To cure back pain while sleeping, place a pillow between the knees when sleeping on one side.
- Place a pillow beneath the knees when you sleep on the back. And place a small and soft cushion or rolled towel under the curve of the back.
5.) Massage as a Remedy for Lower Back Pain
Back massage is another convenient remedy for the lower back. A good massage improves the blood circulation and relieves the stress from muscles. Moreover, it increases the endorphin levels. Endorphins are the radicals which generate positive vibes and makes the person feel good. Feeling good, further aids chronic pain. For instant relief, rub pain relief ointment on your back. Cover your back and leave it for 10-15 minutes. Alternatively, you can massage herbal oil on your back. Heat the oil till it gets warm and then gently massage over the affected area. Oils such as eucalyptus, almond, olive or coconut are good for massaging.
6.) Ginger as a Remedy for Lower Back Pain
Ginger root is one of the ideal home remedies for lower back pain. The anti-inflammatory compounds present in ginger provide relief from sciatica or lower back pain.
- Boil some water and simultaneously, cut thin slices of fresh ginger roots and add them in the boiling water.
- Heat water with ginger for 10-15 minutes. Then, remove the water from heat.
- Leave the mixture to cool to room temperature, then strain it.
- Add honey to the mixture and drink it. Drink this mixture until your pain is completely gone.
- Alternatively, you can apply a ginger paste on the backache and massage the affected area with eucalyptus oil.
7.) Garlic as a Remedy for Lower Back Pain
Garlic is another ingredient which is commonly found in the kitchen. It has medicinal properties which heal problems like a backache and sciatica. The easiest way of using garlic is, consume cloves of garlic in the morning when your stomach is empty. Alternatively, massage your back with garlic oil.
How to Make Garlic Oil?
- Heat coconut oil, sesame oil or mustard oil in a pan.
- After a while add 8-10 cloves of garlic in warm oil.
- Let the garlic turn brown, then remove the pan from the heat.
- Strain the oil and leave it to cool to room temperature.
- Your garlic oil is ready. Gently massage the oil on your back.
- After massage take a bath or shower with warm water.
8.) Epsom Salt as a Remedy for Lower Back Pain
Epsom salt treats all the symptoms of the lower back pain. The best way to cure a backache with Epsom salt is, add 2 cups of Epsom salt to your bath water and immerse your body in it for half an hour. Alternatively, you can also try your hand on:
- In a big bowl or bucket pour hot water and mix the Epsom salt in it.
- Take a clean towel and dip it in the water, then squeeze it to remove the excess water from it.
- Put the warm towel around the affected area. It will reduce the swelling and provide you relief from pain.
9.) Chamomile Tea as a Remedy for Lower Back Pain
Hot chamomile tea relaxes tense muscle tissues that give way to a backache. Either buy a pre-packaged chamomile tea or you can make it at home as well.
- Boil 1 cup of water in a kettle and add 1 tablespoon of chamomile flower in it.
- Leave it, to steep for 8-10 minutes, then remove the kettle from the heat.
- Strain the water and your homemade chamomile tea is ready. Drink it 2-3 times a day.
10.) Correct your Body Posture
The prime reason of back-ache is wrong body posture. Repetitive activities such as sitting in a front computer, lifting heavy weight, produces tension in muscles that results from sciatica.
- While sitting on the chair, place cushion under the curve of the back.
- Stand at ease.
- Don’t sit for long hours.
- Regular yoga will help you to attain good body posture and help you to get rid of lower backache.