This article is about the home remedies for melasma. Here we will discuss how the natural remedies surrounding you at home will help you get rid of the unwanted spots on your face. Melasma is one of the forms of hyperpigmentation which is marked by decolouration of skin. The skin becomes tan, patchy brown or blue-grey. It is most common in women of 20 – 50 years of age. It is not so common in men. Melasma occurs on cheeks, chin, upper lips and forehead. It is generally found among women who are in their reproductive years. There are many remedies with which you can treat melasma at home. To know more about melasma and home remedies for melasma, read the article.
Types of Melasma:
- Melasma is of three types:
- Epidermal – It affects the outermost layer of the skin.
- Dermal – It affects the layer between epidermis and subcutaneous.
- Mixed – It affects the epidermis as well as the dermis.
- When any pregnant woman gets hit by melasma then it is known as chloasma or the marks of pregnancy.
Causes of Melasma:
- Factors that lead to Melasma are:
- Prolong exposure to sunlight.
- Taking oral contraceptive pill that has estrogen or progesterone or both.
- Hypothyroidism also causes melasma.
- Cosmetics and scented soaps also lead to melasma.
Home Remedies for Melasma Treatment:
There are many home remedies for melasma that are used to send the melasma to a place where it finds no point of return. Further in this article, we are going to discuss some of the best remedies for melasma. If those marks are threatening you by making a spot over your beauty, then you need not worry. Just use the simple home remedies to treat your marks. Here are the home remedies for melasma:
1.) Cucumber to Cure Melasma
Cucumber is one of the most easily available home remedies for melasma. Your skin needs oxygen and for that it needs to stay hydrated. Cucumber provides water to your dehydrated skin. What you can do is cut the cucumber into slices and apply it on the face. It will directly provide water to your skin. You can also include it in your diet. Or there is one more way to use it:
- Take one cucumber and grate it well.
- Now extract the juice from it and collect it in a bowl.
- Take a cotton swab and apply it on your face.
- Leave it for 30 minutes and then wash your face with normal water.
- Do it daily for best results.
2.) Sandalwood for Melasma Treatment
Sandal is known for making the skin smooth and help it glow more. Sandalwood is one the most effective home remedies for melasma. You have to make a paste by adding rosewater to sandalwood. What you can do is:
- Mix sandalwood powder with rose water.
- Make a fine paste.
- Apply it on the affected area and leave it to dry for 20 minutes.
- Now wash the face with lukewarm water.
- Take one table spoon of sandalwood powder.
- Add a half lemon juice to it and also add some milk to make a fine paste.
- Now apply the paste on your face and allow it dry on it own.
- When it has dried off completely, wash it with normal water.
3.) Mint to Treat Melasma
Mint is among the most excellent home remedies for melasma. It has great soothing and curing properties. It has cooling properties as well and thus helps a lot in healing melasma. What you have to do is:
- Take a few leaves of mint and crush them.
- Now extract the juices from the leaves.
- Apply it on the affected are.
- It helps best when applied directly.
- Now, leave it for 15 minutes and then wash with normal water.
4.) Lemon to Heal Melasma
Lemon is the best remedy among the home remedies for melasma. It works as a natural bleaching agent and thus lightens the color of your skin. There are many ways to use it. It can be directly applied or can be mixed with anything else. What you have to do is:
- Take a fresh lemon and cut it into two.
- Now extract the juice and apply it on the face using a cotton ball.
- Massage your face gently for 2 minutes and leave it for 20 minutes.
- Wash your face with lukewarm water.
5.) Turmeric to Get Rid of Melasma
Turmeric is also among those remedies that are called the perfect home remedies for melasma. It has the properties that lighten the sin and makes it glowing. Way to use it:
- Take a tablespoon of turmeric powder and add some milk to it.
- Now make a fine paste that can be easily applied on the face.
- In order to make the mixture thick, add a tablespoon of gram flour to it.
- Now your paste is ready to be applied on the face.
- Apply it on the face and leave it for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, wash with lukewarm water.
- This is to be done on a daily basis.
6.) Onion to Cure Melasma
Onion juice contains sulfur that combats dark patches. It also makes the skin smooth. Mix it with apple cider vinegar and the mixture works like a charm. What you can do is:
- Take an onion and chop it well.
- Now take a clean piece of cloth and wrap the chopped onions in it.
- Now squeeze it to extract the juice.
- Take it in a bowl and add equal amount of apple cider vinegar to it.
- Mix it well and apply it on the face and leave for 15 minutes.
- Wash with lukewarm water.
- Do it twice a day for a few weeks and you have the positive results.
7.) Oatmeal to Treat Melasma
Oatmeal is also one the most successful home remedies for melasma. It has the properties that fight off the brown spots and treat it well. To get best results from oatmeal, make a fine paste by mixing it with milk and honey. Here is the method that is used to make an oatmeal pack.
- Take equal amount of oatmeal powder, milk and honey and mix them well to make a paste.
- When the paste is ready, apply it on the face.
- Leave it for 20 minutes and allow it to dry.
- Now wash it with lukewarm water and rinse with a towel.
- Do this thrice a week.
8.) Almond – Richest Remedy for Melasma
Almond is a rich source of vitamin E and thus it is named among the most powerful home remedies for melasma. You can use it in different ways. You can consume it to get the essentials of Vitamin E. Soak it overnight in water and have it in the morning after peeling the skin. You can use it in two other ways as well.
- Take 8-10 almonds and soak them for 4-5 hours.
- In the evening, remove the peels and grind it well to make a paste.
- Add 1 teaspoon of honey and 1 teaspoon of milk to it.
- Mix well and apply it on the face before going to bed.
- Leave it overnight and wash it in the morning with lukewarm water.
- Repeat it twice a week for best results.
- Take some almonds and grind them to powder.
- Add enough honey to make a paste.
- Apply it on the face and leave it for an hour.
- Now, wash your face with lukewarm water.
- Repeat the process thrice a day.
9.) Papaya for Melasma Treatment
Papaya is a natural exfoliating agent and thus it becomes one of the excellent remedies for melasma. Mix it well with honey and see the effect.
- Mash a ripe papaya well that can be used to make a paste.
- Add honey to it and make a fine paste.
- Now apply it on the face and leave for 20 minutes.
- Now wash it with lukewarm water.
- This should be done twice a week for a few months.
10.) Protect Yourself to Heal Melasma
This natural remedy for melasma is the best as it is a precautions as well. Protect yourself from the sunlight. While going out, cover your face with a scarf and hat. It will protect you from harmful UV rays of the sun. Also, try going to market and restaurants in the evening. Also, keep drinking water. Drinking water detoxifies your body. It helps treat a number of skin related problem.