This article is about the home remedies for melasma. Here we will discuss how the natural remedies surrounding you at home will help you get rid of the unwanted spots on your face. Melasma is one of the forms of hyperpigmentation which is marked by decolouration of skin. The skin becomes tan, patchy brown or blue-grey. It is most common in women of 20 – 50 years of age. It is not so common in men. Melasma occurs on cheeks, chin, upper lips and forehead. It is generally found among women who are in their reproductive years. There are many remedies with which you can treat melasma at home. To know more about melasma and home remedies for melasma, read the article.
Types of Melasma:
- Melasma is of three types:
- Epidermal – It affects the outermost layer of the skin.
- Dermal – It affects the layer between epidermis and subcutaneous.
- Mixed – It affects the epidermis as well as the dermis.
- When any pregnant woman gets hit by melasma then it is known as chloasma or the marks of pregnancy.
Causes of Melasma:
- Factors that lead to Melasma are:
- Prolong exposure to sunlight.
- Taking oral contraceptive pill that has estrogen or progesterone or both.
- Hypothyroidism also causes melasma.
- Cosmetics and scented soaps also lead to melasma.
Home Remedies for Melasma Treatment:
There are many home remedies for melasma that are used to send the melasma to a place where it finds no point of return. Further in this article, we are going to discuss some of the best remedies for melasma. If those marks are threatening you by making a spot over your beauty, then you need not worry. Just use the simple home remedies to treat your marks. Here are the home remedies for melasma:
1.) Cucumber to Cure Melasma
Cucumber is one of the most easily available home remedies for melasma. Your skin needs oxygen and for that it needs to stay hydrated. Cucumber provides water to your dehydrated skin. What you can do is cut the cucumber into slices and apply it on the face. It will directly provide water to your skin. You can also include it in your diet. Or there is one more way to use it:
- Take one cucumber and grate it well.
- Now extract the juice from it and collect it in a bowl.
- Take a cotton swab and apply it on your face.
- Leave it for 30 minutes and then wash your face with normal water.
- Do it daily for best results.
2.) Sandalwood for Melasma Treatment
Sandal is known for making the skin smooth and help it glow more. Sandalwood is one the most effective home remedies for melasma. You have to make a paste by adding rosewater to sandalwood. What you can do is:
- Mix sandalwood powder with rose water.
- Make a fine paste.
- Apply it on the affected area and leave it to dry for 20 minutes.
- Now wash the face with lukewarm water.
- Take one table spoon of sandalwood powder.
- Add a half lemon juice to it and also add some milk to make a fine paste.
- Now apply the paste on your face and allow it dry on it own.
- When it has dried off completely, wash it with normal water.
3.) Mint to Treat Melasma
Mint is among the most excellent home remedies for melasma. It has great soothing and curing properties. It has cooling properties as well and thus helps a lot in healing melasma. What you have to do is:
- Take a few leaves of mint and crush them.
- Now extract the juices from the leaves.
- Apply it on the affected are.
- It helps best when applied directly.
- Now, leave it for 15 minutes and then wash with normal water.
4.) Lemon to Heal Melasma
Lemon is the best remedy among the home remedies for melasma. It works as a natural bleaching agent and thus lightens the color of your skin. There are many ways to use it. It can be directly applied or can be mixed with anything else. What you have to do is:
- Take a fresh lemon and cut it into two.
- Now extract the juice and apply it on the face using a cotton ball.
- Massage your face gently for 2 minutes and leave it for 20 minutes.
- Wash your face with lukewarm water.
5.) Turmeric to Get Rid of Melasma
Turmeric is also among those remedies that are called the perfect home remedies for melasma. It has the properties that lighten the sin and makes it glowing. Way to use it:
- Take a tablespoon of turmeric powder and add some milk to it.
- Now make a fine paste that can be easily applied on the face.
- In order to make the mixture thick, add a tablespoon of gram flour to it.
- Now your paste is ready to be applied on the face.
- Apply it on the face and leave it for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, wash with lukewarm water.
- This is to be done on a daily basis.
6.) Onion to Cure Melasma
Onion juice contains sulfur that combats dark patches. It also makes the skin smooth. Mix it with apple cider vinegar and the mixture works like a charm. What you can do is:
- Take an onion and chop it well.
- Now take a clean piece of cloth and wrap the chopped onions in it.
- Now squeeze it to extract the juice.
- Take it in a bowl and add equal amount of apple cider vinegar to it.
- Mix it well and apply it on the face and leave for 15 minutes.
- Wash with lukewarm water.
- Do it twice a day for a few weeks and you have the positive results.
7.) Oatmeal to Treat Melasma
Oatmeal is also one the most successful home remedies for melasma. It has the properties that fight off the brown spots and treat it well. To get best results from oatmeal, make a fine paste by mixing it with milk and honey. Here is the method that is used to make an oatmeal pack.
- Take equal amount of oatmeal powder, milk and honey and mix them well to make a paste.
- When the paste is ready, apply it on the face.
- Leave it for 20 minutes and allow it to dry.
- Now wash it with lukewarm water and rinse with a towel.
- Do this thrice a week.
8.) Almond – Richest Remedy for Melasma
Almond is a rich source of vitamin E and thus it is named among the most powerful home remedies for melasma. You can use it in different ways. You can consume it to get the essentials of Vitamin E. Soak it overnight in water and have it in the morning after peeling the skin. You can use it in two other ways as well.
- Take 8-10 almonds and soak them for 4-5 hours.
- In the evening, remove the peels and grind it well to make a paste.
- Add 1 teaspoon of honey and 1 teaspoon of milk to it.
- Mix well and apply it on the face before going to bed.
- Leave it overnight and wash it in the morning with lukewarm water.
- Repeat it twice a week for best results.
- Take some almonds and grind them to powder.
- Add enough honey to make a paste.
- Apply it on the face and leave it for an hour.
- Now, wash your face with lukewarm water.
- Repeat the process thrice a day.
9.) Papaya for Melasma Treatment
Papaya is a natural exfoliating agent and thus it becomes one of the excellent remedies for melasma. Mix it well with honey and see the effect.
- Mash a ripe papaya well that can be used to make a paste.
- Add honey to it and make a fine paste.
- Now apply it on the face and leave for 20 minutes.
- Now wash it with lukewarm water.
- This should be done twice a week for a few months.
10.) Protect Yourself to Heal Melasma
This natural remedy for melasma is the best as it is a precautions as well. Protect yourself from the sunlight. While going out, cover your face with a scarf and hat. It will protect you from harmful UV rays of the sun. Also, try going to market and restaurants in the evening. Also, keep drinking water. Drinking water detoxifies your body. It helps treat a number of skin related problem.
11.) Horseradish to Treat Melasma
This is one of the best home remedies to treat melasma. Horseradish has bleaching properties that treats all kinds of skin discoloration and also melasma. Follow the treatment given below to get effective results.
- In one cup of sour cream, add two tablespoons of horseradish powder.
- Massage this horseradish paste on your face evenly.
- Wash your face with lukewarm water after 25 to 30 minutes.
- Repeat this process once a week until you get desirable results.
- Take a horseradish and cut it into thick slices.
- Rub this slice on your face.
- Leave its juice on the skin until it dries on its own.
- Wash the skin with lukewarm water and pat your skin dry.
- Repeat this process every week until the brown patches are gone completely.
12.) Aloe Vera Gel to Get Rid of Melasma
This is one of the best natural remedies to get rid of melasma. Aloe Vera gel contains mucilaginous polysaccharides that treats hyperpigmentation and helps to bring back the original color of the skin. It encourages the growth of new skin cells and eliminates the dead skin cells. Follow the treatment given below to get best results.
- Extract Aloe Vera gel by cutting a fresh Aloe Vera leaf.
- Massage this gel on the affected areas of the skin for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Rinse off your face after 15 to 20 minutes with lukewarm water.
- Follow this process two times a day for a few weeks to treat melasma.
13.) Apple Cider Vinegar to Treat Melasma
This is one of the excellent home remedies to treat melasma. The bleaching properties present in apple cider vinegar lighten and removes the spots from the face and makes the skin radiant and smooth. Follow the treatment given below to get effective results.
- Mix equal parts of water and apple cider vinegar.
- Apply this solution directly on the melasma spots.
- Let the natural air dry this solution.
- Wash the face with lukewarm water after a couple of minutes and dry the skin.
- Repeat this remedy every day to see positive results within a few days.
14.) Salmon to Get Rid of Melasma
Salmon is packed with omega 3 fatty acids which makes it an excellent choice for melasma and also strengthens skin cells. Alpha-linolenic acid and Eicosapentaenoic acid are omega 3 fatty acids that improve the ability of the skin to tolerate ultraviolet radiations of the sun. Wild caught salmon contains an antioxidant called Astaxanthin which reduces the dark spots on the skin and protects the skin against harmful radiations. All you need to do this include salmon in your diet plan to get rid of melasma completely.
15.) Fruit Pack to Treat Melasma
Guava and Banana are two best fruits for the skin. The combination of these fruits is an excellent choice for melasma. Lycopene is a compound present in guava that reduces spots and blemishes on the skin and lightens hyperpigementation. This fruit pack removes the dead skin cells and exfoliates the skin. Follow the treatment given below to treat melasma.
- Mash one guava and banana together to make a thick paste.
- Apply this fruit paste on the affected areas of the skin.
- Wait for 20 to 25 minutes and then rinse off the skin with water.
- Repeat this process on a daily basis to get rid of melasma.
16.) Essential Oils to Get Rid of Melasma
This is one of the best remedies to get rid of melasma. The combination of lavender oil and tea tree oil is excellent choice for treating skin problems including melasma. It lightens the skin and also reduces pigmentation. All you need to do is take 1:1 ratio of both the oils and massage it on the affected areas of the skin for a couple of minutes. Reapply this oil 3 to 4 times per day to get rid of melasma completely. The combination of chamomile essential oil and lavender essential oil is also wonderful, so you can use it also.
17.) Apricot Kernel Oil to Treat Melasma
This is one of the most effective home remedies to treat melasma. It is very popular and widely used in the making of skin care products. Apricot kernel oil is a natural scrub because of its skin lightening properties. It contains vitamins A, C and E and other fatty acids that nourishes the skin, reduces inflammation and lightens melasma spots. All you need to do is take some apricot kernel oil in a bowl. Soak a cotton ball in this oil and wipe your face with it. Apply this apricot kernel oil two times per day until the melasma spots disappear completely. Try this wonderful remedy to get desired results.
18.) Grape Seed Extract to Get Rid of Melasma
This is one of the excellent home remedies to get rid of melasma. The minerals such as calcium, phosphorous and sulfur present in grape seed extract makes it a wonderful remedy for skin problems. It reduces melanin spots and lightens the skin tone. Grape seed extract is used in the making of cosmetics and skin care products because of the presence of anti-fungal and anti-bacterial agents. It is a perfect remedy for melasma pigmentation on the face because of the presence of detoxifying powder present in it. All you need to do is soak cotton in grape fruit seed extract. Wipe your face with this cotton to remove melasma spots completely.
19.) Potato Juice to Remove Melasma Spots
This is one of the wonderful home remedies to remove melasma spots completely. It not only reduces melasma pigmentation but also softens the skin. Catecholase is an enzyme present in potato that reduces blemishes and dark spots. Follow the treatment given below to get excellent results.
- Peel off a potato and grind it to extract its juice.
- Apply this potato juice on your face and leave if for next 3 to 4 minutes.
- Rinse your face with warm water.
- Repeat this process every day or on alternate days until the melasma spots disappear completely.
20.) Avocados to Get Rid of Melasma Spots
This is one of the excellent choices to get rid of melasma spots completely. The vitamins, fatty acids and antioxidants present in avocados make it a beauty remedy and improves the overall appearance of the skin. Avocados also contain vitamin E which reduces the dark spots that are caused due to the over exposure to the sun. Follow the treatment given below to remove melasma spots completely.
- Cut a ripe avocado into half.
- Mash half of the avocado.
- Mix two tablespoons of honey in it to make a paste.
- Apply this paste evenly on your skin and leave for a few minutes so that the skin absorbs the essential.
- Wash your face with normal or lukewarm water.
- Apply this pack on a regular basis to get unbelievable results.
- Alternatively, cut an avocado into slices and rub it all over the face. Leave it for a few minutes so that the juice is absorbed by the skin.