This is article is about home remedies for migraine treatment. Migraine is characterized by severe pain on one side of the head. An intense headache can be accompanied by sensory warnings. It can cause sensations in arms, sensitivity towards the light and blind spot. The pain can last from a few hours to a few days. It is a common problem in US. More than 30 millions of Americans experience a migraine. The exact cause of a migraine is unknown but it is believed to be caused by abnormal brain activity which leads to temporary changes in the chemicals, nerve signals and blood flow in the brain. Since migraine attack can hit you anytime, it’s better to be ready with home remedies to tackle it. Read more, to know about home remedies for migraine treatment.
Types of Migraine:
- Classical Migraine
- Common Migraine
Symptoms of Migraine:
- Craving for food
- Severe pain in one side of the head.
- Stiff neck
- Pain in eyes
- The increase in pain with exertion.
- Sensitive towards light and sound.
- Nausea with vomiting.
- Frequent Yawning
Causes of Migraine:
- Hormonal changes
- Lack of sleep
- Anorexia and bulimia
- Loud sounds
- Certain medications
- Foods with additive tyramine, such as soy products, hard sausages, fevabeans and etc.
- Food additives
- Stress and tension
Home Remedies for Migraine Treatment:
1.) Ice Pack as a Remedy for Migraine
It is one of the best remedies for migraine. Ice pack works great for treating a migraine. An ice pack or cold compress helps to reduce the intense pain. It reduces the stress which is one of the prime causes of a migraine. Moreover, it increases the blood circulation, which eventually helps you to get rid of an acute headache. Ice packs are available in the market, but you can make it home as well.
How to Make an Ice Pack at Home?
- In a clean towel, put a few ice cubes and wrap it. Your home made ice pack is ready.
- Hold the ice pack over the forehead, temples or at the back of the neck (where the pain is prominent).
- Leave it for 10-15 minutes.
- The frozen vegetable bag will also work as an ice pack.
- For cooling effects, you can add essential oils such as lavender or peppermint into the cold compress.
2.) Chamomile as a Remedy for Migraine
The properties present in chamomile such as antispasmodic, anti-inflammatory and soothing properties makes the remedy apt for treating migraine. Even among the chamomile types, “ German Chamomile” is the best.
How to Treat Migraine with Chamomile?
- In a cup of hot water mix 2-3 teaspoons chamomile flower, cover the cup and let it steep for a while.
- Add a half tablespoon of lemon juice and honey to it (optional). Strain the tea and drink it.
- Drink the tea 2-3 times a day to relieve the symptoms of a migraine.
- Or you can steep equal amount of horehound, meadowsweet and chamomile in a cup of warm water for a few minutes.
- Strain the liquid and drink it regularly.
- This will also help you to counter a migraine.
3.) Peppermint as a Remedy for Migraine
Peppermint has anti-inflammatory property which calms the nerves and reduces an acute headache. Also, the antispasmodic properties of the remedy come handy for treating the symptoms of a migraine.
How to Use Peppermint to Treat Migraine?
- The best way to use peppermint is, drink peppermint tea 3-4 times a day.
- Also, you can take steam by inducing peppermint in the warm water.
- Alternatively, massage your temple, forehead and neck with peppermint essential oil.
- Follow this remedy as much time as you can until you get the encouraging results.
4.) Ginger as a Remedy for Migraine
Ginger is one of the most powerful remedies for a migraine. Regular use of ginger also proves beneficial for treating migraine. A chemical known as prostaglandins promotes the muscle contraction and inflammation in the blood vessels of the brain. The herb blocks this chemical and soothes the nerves. It can be a great substitute for anti-inflammatory drugs.
How to Use Ginger to Prevent Migraine?
- Boil 2 cups of water and add grounded ginger to it.
- Let it brew.
- Strain the water, you can add honey for sweetness.
- Drink this tea 2-3 times a day until you get relief.
- Drink this tea at the onset of a migraine.
- Chewing a piece of ginger will also be helpful.
5.) Cayenne Pepper as a Remedy for Migraine
Cayenne pepper improves the blood flow, which eventually calms the nerves. It is one of the most effective remedies for migraine. It is also known as a natural painkiller because of the compound present in it. All these qualities make cayenne an ideal home remedy for a migraine.
How to Use Cayenne Pepper?
- In a cup of warm water mix one and a half tablespoons of cayenne pepper.
- To improve the taste you can add lemon juice and honey to it.
- Drink this when the pain strikes.
6.) ACV as a Remedy for Migraine
Apple cider vinegar is enriched with all the components which helps to treat the migraine. Not only this, it also helps in detoxification process, controls BP, body pain, weight loss and constipation, that are among the prime causes of a migraine.
How to Use ACV for Migraine?
- In a glass of water mix 1 tablespoon of ACV.
- For taste, you can add honey to it.
- Drink this solution daily to get rid of the migraine.
7.) Massage as a Remedy for Migraine
Massage is one of the best remedies for a migraine. It blocks the signals of brains, which are when sent to the brain, the person feels pain. Moreover, it stimulates serotonin, which reduces the frequency of the migraine attacks.
How to Massage?
- With your fingers, gently massage your head in the circular motion.
- To make it more effective press pressure points such as the middle of the forehead, base of the skull, corners of the eye. Make sure you press correct points, otherwise, the problem may worsen.
- Alternatively, in the warm sesame oil mix one and a half tablespoons of cardamom and cinnamon powder. Use the mixture to massage the forehead. Leave it overnight and wash next morning.
8.) Coffee as a Remedy for Migraine
Coffee contains caffeine, which restricts blood vessels and blocks the receptor which gives way to a migraine. For effective results, add 2-3 drops of lemon juice. Since it is acid in nature, it comes handy for treating intense migraine. However, the remedy may not suit everyone. For them, it can be a leading cause of a migraine.
9.) Apple as a Remedy for Migraine
“An apple a day keeps migraine away”. Yes, to encounter the symptoms of a migraine eat an apple regularly. Smelling green apple a day will show the same results. It is the best remedy for those who have cravings during a migraine.
10.) Feverfew as a Remedy for Migraine
One of the most successful remedies for migraine is feverfew. A component known as parthenolide is found in the herb. The compound relieves prevents inflammation, a common symptom of migraine. It also blocks the receptors of pain.
How to Use feverfew for Migraine?
- In a cup of warm water, add a teaspoon of feverfew.
- Steep it for 30 minutes.
- Strain the water and drink it.
- Drink it until you get relief from migraine.
- However, chewing leaves of feverfew daily will also be beneficial.
Additional Tips to Treat Migraine