It is hard to live with a painful mouth that has ulcers and causes discomfort while eating and talking. It is not easy to handle such painful situations when you speak coherently due to the presence of ulcers. Mouth ulcers are painful sores which get developed in our mouth. They are oval or round in shape. They are inflamed around the edge and are yellow, white, gray and reddish in color. They are hard to resist as they always keeping on showing their presence by the pain they give to our mouth. But it is easy to treat this problem with the home remedies for mouth ulcers.
Causes of Mouth Ulcers:
Here are some common causes of mouth ulcers. There are major factors that cause mouth ulcers. Some of them are as follows:
- Taking lot of stress regularly
- Unhealthy dental conditions.
- Deficiency of various nutrients such as vitamin B12, vitamin C, and iron.
- Herpes simplex infections and food allergies.
- Bites in the cheek and mouth.
- The certain hormonal imbalance in the body, especially during the time of menstruation.
- Due to skin and bowel diseases.
Types of Mouth Ulcers:
Mouth ulcers are basically of three types. They are divided into three categories depending on their severity.
1.) Minor Ulcers:
Minor ulcers are the most common type. These ulcers (aphthous stomatitis) occur in 80% of the cases. The healing process took at least 7-10 days. Minor ulcers are around 2-8mm in diameter. They usually take 10 days to 2 weeks to clear up completely from your skin.
2.) Major Ulcers:
They are also known as large ulcers. These type of ulcers happen in almost 10% of the cases. They are also referred as major aphthous ulceration. Generally, they combine with adjacent ulcers and forms an ulcer which is larger in size. They give a painful sensation in the mouth and lips. Major ulcers are bigger in size and they are quite deeper. They often have a raised or irregular border. These ulcers need quite a long time to heal completely. They took several weeks to heal. In addition, they leave a scar in the mouth after getting healed.
3.) Herpetiform Ulcers:
This type of ulcers causes severe pain. They are formed as a result of herpes simplex infection. In this case, you will observe the frequent reappearance of lesions. It infects women more than men. They usually occur in clusters of 100 little aching ulcers. This is a very severe type of ulcer that is formed in a shape of a cluster having dozens of smaller sores which have a size of pinheads.
Home Remedies for Mouth Ulcers Treatment:
Here are few important and effective home remedies for mouth ulcers treatment. You may use these natural treatments at your home to get rid of mouth ulcer naturally.
1.) Use Honey for Mouth Ulcers Treatment:
Honey helps in retaining moisture and provides the soothing effect on mouth ulcers. It accelerates the healing process as it contains antioxidant and antimicrobial properties.
- Dip a cotton in honey and apply it on the ulcers directly.
- You can also use glycerin and vitamin E oil for the same purpose as it carries the same properties of honey.
- For mouth sores, use Manuka honey as a remedy.
2.) Start Using Sea Salt and Hydrogen Peroxide:
Both of them contain anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, and disinfectant properties. Hence, you may use both of these ingredients separately or as a mixture to get rid of mouth ulcers. To prepare this mixture, just follow the following steps:
- Add two teaspoons of sea salt and 3% hydrogen peroxide in warm water.
- Prepare a solution by mixing it well.
- Use this solution as a mouthwash.
- Repeat this process once or twice a day.
- Make sure you don’t sup up this solution during the process of mouth washing. It is one of the most effective home remedies for mouth ulcers.
3.) Coconut Milk to Treat Mouth Ulcers:
It is one of the most beneficial home remedies for mouth ulcers. It is one of the best cure to get relief from the painful sensation of mouth ulcers. To prepare the mixture, simply follow these steps:
- Take a little honey.
- Stir it with one tablespoon of coconut milk.
- Massage this solution on the affected area on a regular basis for 2-3 times a day.
- You can rinse your mouth with coconut milk.
- You may even apply it directly to give a massage on the affected area.
4.) Coriander Seeds to Cure Mouth Ulcers:
To get relief from inflammation, coriander seeds is considered to be one of the best ayurvedic or natural home remedies for mouth ulcers.
- Boil one teaspoon of coriander seeds in water.
- After boiling, leave this solution to cool down.
- Swoosh it in your mouth.
- Use this solution for mouth washing.
- Repeat this process for 3-4 times a day.
5.) Licorice Root to Treat Mouth Ulcers:
Licorice Root is considered to be one of the best home remedies for mouth ulcers. This herb works as a soothing agent. It develops a preventive coating on the mucous membranes that prevents irritation and moisturizes the open lesions. Licorice root also contains anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties.
- Dip one tablespoon of crushed licorice root in two cups of water.
- Keep this mixture for two to three hours.
- Use it to wash your mouth 3-4 times a day.
- It is one of the best home remedies for mouth ulcers that keeps your mouth clean and cure the problem of mouth ulcers easily.
6.) Baking Soda for Mouth Ulcers Treatment:
Baking soda also known as sodium bicarbonate is an alkaline base. It helps in neutralizing the acid caused due to the acidic foods and drinks as it contains the alkaline properties. It also decreases the inflammation and remove the germs from the infected area. But, keep in mind that it may cause burning sensation when you apply it. To prepare the solution:
- Mix one spoon of baking soda with a small amount of water.
- Prepare a thin paste.
- Apply it on the affected area at least once in a day to get rid of mouth ulcers.
7.) Apply Cooling Agents for Mouth Ulcers:
One of the factors that cause mouth ulcer is the excessive heat in our body. It is useful to apply the natural products that provide the cooling effect to it. Go for ghee, buttermilk, and castor oil as they are one of the best cooling agents. Apply ghee and castor oil on the ulcerated area, they contain amazing cooling property. You may even drink buttermilk to ease the pain and experience the cooling effect on mouth ulcers.
8.) Use Aloe-Vera to Treat Mouth Ulcers:
Applying Aloe-Vera on the ulcerated area as it helps in reducing pain. Also, it helps in speeding up the healing process. It is one of the best home remedies for mouth ulcers that contain antiseptic, antifungal, antiviral and antibacterial properties. It is one of the best herbal products that nature gifted us. It even treats several oral health related problems.
9.) Basil to Cure Mouth Ulcers:
It is one of the most effective home remedies for mouth ulcers. The best part of these herbal leaves are that it contains anti-fungal, antiviral, and antibacterial properties. It boosts the healing process and provide relief in mouth ulcers. Consume it twice a day, once in the morning and then in the evening with water to cure them. In India, you will find the plant of basil in almost all type of houses. It is an amazing herbal remedy for several diseases and it even purify the air naturally.
10.) Ice for Mouth Ulcers Treatment:
Ice helps in numbing the pain of the mouth ulcers. It is one of the useful home remedies for mouth ulcers. Just apply ice on the ulcerated area as soon as you experience slightest signs & symptoms like burning sensation in the infected area. It is better to apply it before an ulcer gets swollen. It provides the soothing effect on the painful ulcers. It even prevents painful sensation due to the presence of ulcers.
Apply all these home remedies for mouth ulcers to boost your healing process. All these remedies are one of the best cure for them. But, you need to take preventive measures as well. All these remedies will only work when you will keep your body fit internally. So, stop eating acidic drinks and foods. Also, use the soft and mild toothbrush and paste for your teeth to get rid of mouth ulcers.