This article is about home remedies for nasal congestion. To discuss the home remedies for nasal congestion, we should be aware of the symptoms and causes of the nasal congestion. But before going for all these things, the main question that arises is – what nasal congestion is? In this article we will discuss nasal congestion and home remedies for nasal congestion.
In simple words, nasal congestion is another term for a stuffy nose. To explain, it is the swelling of the lining tissues of the nose. Tissues get swollen because of the inflamed blood vessels. It jams your nose and you face a problem in breathing through nose. It is a very common problem faced if you have a cold. It is not that critical but can become a nuisance if the problem remain for longer.
Symptoms of Nasal Congestion:
When you are learning about the remedies of something, learning about the symptoms of that particular problem is equally important. It is important because it makes sure that you are going for the right thing. Same is the case with the nasal congestion as well. Before going for the treatment, you should know the symptoms first. Symptoms of nasal congestion are:
- Change in voice
- Problem in breathing through the nose.
- Nose drips and runs.
- Itchy Eyes
Causes of the Nasal Congestion:
Done with the symptoms, it’s now time to know about the causes. Causes of the Nasal Congestion are:
- Cold and flu
- Hay Fever or allergy.
- Excessive use of nasal spray or nasal drops.
- Nasal Polyps (sac-like growth of the inflamed lining tissues).
- Vasomotor Rhinitis (If hay fever or allergy is not the reason behind nasal congestion then that condition is called Vasomotor Rhinitis).
- Dry air and tobacco smoke.
- Acute Sinusitis
- High Blood Pressure
Home Remedies for Nasal Congestion:
- Home Remedies for Nasal Congestion:
- 1.) Blow Your Nose to Treat Nasal Congestion
- 2.) Inhale Stream to Treat Nasal Congestion
- 3.) Garlic to Cure Nasal Congestion
- 4.) Irrigation as a Remedy for Nasal Congestion
- 5.) Take a Hot Bath and Get Rid of Nasal Congestion
- 6.) Eucalyptus Oil for Nasal Congestion
- 7.) Hot Liquid Intake to Avoid Nasal Congestion
- 8.) Add Spice to Your Food to Treat Nasal Congestion
- 9.) Basil Leaves for Nasal Congestion
- 10.) Fenugreek to Cure Nasal Congestion
- 11.) Ginger for Nasal Congestion Treatment
- 12.) Stay Hydrated to Prevent Nasal Congestion
Nasal congestion is not always irritating. It is sometimes embarrassing as well. At one point it might become so frustrating that you have to get rid of it at any cost. There might arrive a situation that you have some plans, but the congestion is compelling you to cancel all the plans. Nasal spray available in the market might give you some relief, but it is not safe. You might get addicted to it and using the spray for more than three days may worsen the case.
Home remedies are always safe and have wonderful effects. They are easily available and can be easily prepared. Treatment with the home remedies sometimes may prove to be slow but they are long lasting and give you desired results. Here are some of the home remedies for nasal congestion:
1.) Blow Your Nose to Treat Nasal Congestion
This is among the most primitive home remedies for nasal congestion. You can do it by using a handkerchief or a napkin. What you have to do is just blow your nose. Blowing your nose will open the blocked nasal tissues and you will be able to breath properly. This method is one of those primitive methods that provide you instant relief.
2.) Inhale Stream to Treat Nasal Congestion
Inhaling stream is one of the most commonly used home remedies for nasal congestion. It is easy to prepare. Follow the given steps and you will see the instant results:
- Boil at least three bowls of water in a pan.
- While it is boiling, add some chamomile tea leaves to it.
- Now take that pan and keep it on the floor or at the place that is more comfortable for you.
- Take your mouth above that pan and drape your head with a towel.
- Inhale deeply and you get the positive results immediately.
3.) Garlic to Cure Nasal Congestion
Garlic is the perfect home remedy used to get rid of the nasal congestion. It might seem a little tough as you have to eat the cloves of the raw garlic. Well, if it is not possible for you at all then there is another way as well. Make a soup. Make a garlic soup using the simple method:
- Take three garlic cloves and cut them into smaller pieces.
- Now boil a cup of water and the cloves in it.
- Stir it for a while and your soup is ready.
- Have the soup and cure your nasal congestion.
4.) Irrigation as a Remedy for Nasal Congestion
Another primitive home remedy has proven to be one of the most effective home remedies for nasal congestion. Prepare a solution for your nose and get rid of the congestion. What you have to do is:
- Take two cups of distilled water and add one teaspoon of salt in it.
- Take a neti pot and pour the solution in it.
- Now use the neti pot to irrigate your nose.
- Repeating it twice a day will help you treat your nasal congestion.
5.) Take a Hot Bath and Get Rid of Nasal Congestion
Take a hot shower. This is one the perfect home remedies for nasal congestion. The mucus should function smoothly in order to remove the congestion and hot water removes the swelling of the tissues and allows the mucus to perform its tasks. The water should be as hot as you can stand. Make sure that it doesn’t hurt you. Now stand under the shower for 8-10 minutes and when you are out, take deep breaths. You will experience the constructive results.
6.) Eucalyptus Oil for Nasal Congestion
If you have eucalyptus oil at your place, then this home remedy will benefit you to a great extent. Take a fresh or neat and clean handkerchief and add a few drops of eucalyptus oil to it. Repeat the process a few times a day. This home remedy works as a natural inhaler which is completely safe. It is one of the most helpful home remedies for nasal congestion.
7.) Hot Liquid Intake to Avoid Nasal Congestion
Hot liquid is must to take if quick results are desired. Take as much hot liquid as possible. Include or increase the amount of beverages in your routine. It also lessens the swelling of the tissues and pushes your nose to drop the fluid. Warm water is a perfect suggestion for nasal congestion.
8.) Add Spice to Your Food to Treat Nasal Congestion
This remedy is one of the most amazing remedies for nasal congestion. Increase the amount of spicy food in your diet. This home remedy is a very rejoicing one as you can cure the nasal congestion by enjoying your food. Adding spice to your meal will make it more spicy and that makes your nose run.
9.) Basil Leaves for Nasal Congestion
Basil leaves have a number of benign effects. It can be referred as a ‘key home remedy’ for many problems. It is among the most successful home remedies for nasal congestion. There are two ways to use basil leaves. First, you can take a few leaves and chew them and second, use them while preparing tea. You can use whichever way you want. Chew the basil leaves or enjoy the tea, you get the preferred results.
10.) Fenugreek to Cure Nasal Congestion
Fenugreek, because of its anti – inflammatory qualities makes itself one of the fantastic home remedies for nasal congestion. What you have to do is:
- Boil a few fenugreek seeds in a cup of water.
- After it is properly boiled, strain the water and discard the seeds.
- Now drink the water.
- Do it thrice a day and your nasal congestion is gone.
11.) Ginger for Nasal Congestion Treatment
You can also go for ginger tea to cure nasal congestion. Ginger tea is rich in properties that are very effective at treating the nasal congestion. What you have to do is:
- Boil a cup of water.
- Add thinly sliced ginger root (1 cm) to it.
- Simmer it for a few minutes.
- Then strain the tea and drink it.
12.) Stay Hydrated to Prevent Nasal Congestion
You should drink as much as water as you can to prevent nasal congestion. It is ideal to drink 3 liters of water a day. When you body is hydrated, you nasal tissues keeps getting moisture and thus reduces the chances of occurrence of nasal congestion.