In this article, we will tell you home remedies for pink eye. Pink eye is medically known as conjunctivitis. The infection gets diminished in most cases without medical care, but bacterial pinkeye needs proper treatment. It is called “pink eye” because white eye turn into pink colour. Sometimes, when you rub your eyes, but they don’t stop itching. After some time they get red and swollen. This is nothing but pink eye or conjunctivitis. It causes the inflammation of the outer layer and inside of the eyelid. This leads to discharge and burning sensation. Children are more prone to pink eye than adults. Pink eye does not affect vision. Pink eye is a communicable disease which spreads from person to person.
Symptoms of Pink Eye:
- Itchy or Scratchy eyes
- Pink colour in white of the eyes
- Discharge from the eye
Causes of Pink Eye:
- Eye drops
- Eye ointments
- Bacterial or viral infection
Home Remedies for Pink Eye:
1.) Jasmine Flowers to Cure Pink Eye
Jasmine flowers help in reducing pain and pink colour of the eyes. The anti-inflammatory property of jasmine flower helps to lower the swelling caused by the infection in the eye. It is one of the simplest remedies for pink eye to implement.
- Take a few jasmine flowers and soak them in a bowl filled with water overnight.
- Strain the mixture and rinse your eyes.
- Rinse your eyes regularly for fast relief.
2.) Coconut Oil for Pink Eye Treatment
Coconut oil is a good home solution for pink eye. People don’t know about the power and soothing effect of coconut oil on the pink eye. People generally think it is an outer solution for pink eye, not knowing that it can be more beneficial when taken inside. Coconut oil can heal every type of pink eye. Coconut oil not only heal the current pink eye, but also prevent it from coming again and again.
- Rub some coconut oil on the upper layer of your eye 2 to 3 times a day.
- Apply 1 drop into both eyes with eye dropper.
- Take coconut oil in food.
3.) Cod Liver Oil to Treat Pink Eye
Cod liver oil is rich in Vitamin D, A and B2 and also in fatty acids. It is available in capsules and oil form. The vitamin A helps to increase the immunity of the body. Vitamin D helps in maintaining strong bones. Fatty acids help to reduce the inflammation of the skin, and prevent allergies. The redness of the eye and water from the eye will also get lowered. Take it in the form of capsule before going to bed. You will get fast relief from pink eye.
4.) Apple Cider Vinegar to Get Rid of Pink Eye
The uses of apple cider vinegar cannot be described in a single line. It is an immense home remedy for pink eye. It helps to destroy the bacteria and virus causing pink eye. Taking it inside the body will remove microbes, infections from the body. It is one of the best home remedies of pink eye.
- Take 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar and 1 cup water.
- Mix them to form a solution.
- Soak a piece of cloth in it, then apply gently around the eyes.
5.) Turmeric to Soothe Pink Eye
Turmeric is an integral part of Ayurveda and Ayurvedic medicines. It is used for a variety of health diseases like pink eye and skin problems. Turmeric contains Curcumin that has anti-septic and anti-inflammatory properties. Turmeric can be used on burns also, it works by dehydrating the pores. Turmeric is a natural steroid and antibiotic and is harmless.
- Take a glass of water and a teaspoon of turmeric.
- Boil the water with turmeric.
- Use the water as an eye compress to get rid of pink eye.
6.) Barberry Roots to Cure Pink Eye
Barberry root contains chemicals that help to fight inflammation in the eye and cause a stronger heartbeat. It contains alkaloids and protoberberines. Barberry root is used in jams, jellies and juices. It is antioxidant and anti diarrhoeal in nature. The extract of the barberry root is used by various eye ointments maker. It is one of the best home remedies for pink eye.
- Take a cup of water and powdered barberry about 50 grams.
- Boil the water and barberry for 5 minutes.
- Strain it in another cup with muslin cloth.
- Wash your eye with it at regular intervals.
7.) Castor Oil as Pink Eye Remedy
Castor oil is good in reducing the irritation of the eye. If you face any disturbance in the eye apply castor oil as a first remedy for fast relief. Castor oil is in use for centuries by an ophthalmologist for treating pink eye. Applying castor oil also increases the vision power. There are numerous remedies for pink eye but it is one of the best.
- Soak a cotton swab into castor oil and apply to the eye.
- Put a drop of castor oil in both the eyes with the help of the eye dropper.
- Apply the above method for 2 to 3 times in a day.
8.) Charcoal Dust to Treat Pink Eye at Home
Charcoal has the capability to absorb the dust, infection and surplus water from the eye. All these factors cause infection in the eye making it unbearable. The redness and inflammation of the eye is also lowered by the charcoal. Applying charcoal initially will stop the infection from spreading.
- Take half teaspoon of sea salt and a teaspoon of charcoal dust.
- Boil the charcoal dust and sea salt with 1 cup of water and let it cool.
- Strain the mixture with muslin cloth.
- Drop two to three drops of the mixture in the pink eye.
- Apply the procedure after regular intervals.
9.) Honey for Pink Eye Treatment
Applying honey reduces the amount of bacteria present in and around the eye during pink eye. Honey clears the infection with less effect, and also heals with minimal scar formation. Honey has antimicrobial properties which heals the infection caused by bacteria and fungi. Honey also helps to lower the stomach pain and improve immunity.
- Take a teaspoon raw honey, half cup pure water, and pinch of salt.
- Dissolve honey and salt in lukewarm water. Use a clean dropper and place a drop in each eye after regular intervals as needed.
10.) Boric Acid Diluted
Boric acid is antiseptic and has a cleansing nature. It is often used as eyewash. Many eye ointments contain boric acid as a major composition. It is one of the easiest home remedies for pink eye to go for.
- Take one teaspoon of boric acid and a cup of water.
- Boil it for 5 minutes.
- Wash it with for 3 to 4 times a week.
- You can soak the cloth in it and place it on the eyes for 10 to 20 minutes.
11.) Calendula for Pink Eye Treatment
Calendula has the properties of anti-inflammatory and antibacterial. It can soothe and heal the eyes having infection and swollen eyelids.
- Pour 2 teaspoons of dried Calendula in a cup of water.
- Boil the water and Calendula together for 5 minutes.
- Dip a cotton in the solution after getting cold and apply to pink eye.
- Cover for 20 minutes.
12.) Herbal Tea to Relief from Pink Eye
Chamomile, Fennel or Eye-bright teas are used to make hot compresses. Tea is good for eye irritation and inflammation. Tea can also be used to wash the eyes. Eye-bright can also be taken in capsule or oral form.
- Take a tea bag and distilled water.
- Boil the water with tea bag and strain the mixture.
- Wash the eyes gently.