Looking for remedies to reduce Cholesterol? You have come to the right place. Cholesterol is a fatty substance found in the blood. Cholesterol is required for the development of healthy cells and maintaining cell membranes. It is generally produced by the human body, but can also be obtained from food we eat. Cholesterol helps transform the sunlight into Vitamin D. But remember, having high levels of cholesterol increases the risk of many health problems including nausea, breathing difficulty, heart diseases and many other health problems.
High cholesterol also raises the risk of coronary heart disease, which is responsible for heart attacks. High cholesterol is often caused due to unhealthy lifestyle choices, such as a diet rich in saturated fats and inadequate physical activities. High levels of bad cholesterol is unhealthy and can lead to serious and even fatal health issues. Cholesterol tends to build up along artery walls, which is the reason that it is responsible for heart diseases.
Normally, blood cholesterol levels should be below 200 mg/dl (milligrams per deciliter of blood). When it is between 200 and 239 mg/dl, it is considered borderline high. But, when it rises above 240 mg/dL, it is considered as high cholesterol. A test called a lipoprotein profile is used to detect the cholesterol levels. There are medical treatments available to get treat high cholesterol, but such treatments can be quite expensive. Instead of such treatments you can try below listed home remedies to reduce cholesterol. These remedies are safe, easy and effective to use. Let us know the causes and symptoms before discussing remedies.
Causes of High Cholesterol
- Improper Diet
- Lack of physical activity.
- Increased weight
- Excessive drinking of alcohol.
- Ageing as arteries tend to narrow with age.
- Certain underlying conditions such as diabetes, high blood pressure, and kidney or liver disease.
- Consuming food high in saturated fats.
Symptoms of High Cholesterol
High cholesterol generally doesn’t cause any symptoms. But, high level of cholesterol over a period of time can cause some coronary heart disease. Symptoms of such condition are:
- Chest in pain.
- Too much fatigue
- Difficulty in breathing
- Shortness of breath
- Pain in the jaw, neck, upper abdomen or back.
- Numbness or coldness in your extremities.
Home Remedies to Reduce Cholesterol Level
1.) Red Yeast Rice as a Remedy to Reduce Cholesterol Naturally
Red yeast rice has compounds known as monacolins. Monacolins compound prevents cholesterol synthesis and thus helps reduce cholesterol. In simple words, it is rice fermented by red yeast. It has been used in China for different medicinal purposes for thousands of years. You can buy red yeast rice tablets from pharmacies or some health food stores.
- For high levels of cholesterol, a 1200 to 2400 mg of the supplement is recommended once or twice daily.
- Studies have shown that such dietary supplement can lower LDL (‘bad’) cholesterol levels. Although, the proper dosage and long-term effects of these supplements are still unclear.
- In addition, some red yeast rice products may have lovastatin and other chemicals. That may cause some side effects. It is better to consult your doctor before starting the dose.
- Remember not to take these supplements during pregnancy or if you are having liver issues.
2.) Oatmeal as a Remedy to Reduce Cholesterol Naturally at Home
Consuming a bowl of oatmeal is an effective home remedy for high levels of cholesterol. Oatmeal is loaded with soluble fiber. Oatmeal helps reduce the absorption of cholesterol. It also reduces bad cholesterol levels.
- One cup of cooked oatmeal has approximately 3 grams of soluble fiber, beta-glucan. You can also add some fruits and nuts in it .
- Fruits like bananas, apples, strawberries are the major ones.
3.) Coriander Seeds as a Natural Remedy to Lower Bad Cholesterol Levels
Researchers suggest that coriander seeds helps lower the levels of total cholesterol, LDL or ‘bad’ cholesterol, and triglycerides. Also, Coriander has hypoglycemic effects and can be useful in diabetes management.
- Add 2 tsp of coriander seed powder in one cup of water.
- Boil the mixture and strain it afterwards.
- Drink this mixture 1 or 2 times a day.
- You can also add sugar, milk and cardamom to it and replace it for your regular tea.
- Instead of coriander seed powder, you can simply use coriander seeds or dry roast and grind them to make fine powder.
4.) Nuts as a Remedy to Lower Bad Cholesterol at Home
Walnuts, peanuts, almonds, hazelnuts, pecans, pistachios and other nuts are quite useful in controlling high cholesterol. It is due to richness in plant sterols and fiber. Walnuts, especially, have been found to help reduce total cholesterol and triglyceride levels.
- Regularly enjoy a handful of delicious roasted nuts.
- Remember not to overdo it.
- Also, increase your consumption of whole grains and other high-fiber foods.
5.) Fish Oil as a Remedy for Reducing High Cholesterol Levels Naturally
Fish oils and fatty fish such as tuna, mackerel, trout, salmon, herring, bluefish, sardines are loaded with omega-3 fatty acids. They help reduce triglycerides (fats in the blood) and prevent heart disease significantly.
- Include around 1 to 4 grams of fish oil in your daily diet.
- If you have opted a vegan or vegetarian diet, then you can include ground flaxseeds.
- Flaxseeds are also rich in omega-3 fatty acid contents.
6.) Apple Cider Vinegar as a Home Remedy to Reduce Cholesterol Fast and Naturally
Apart from different health uses, Apple cider vinegar also helps reduce your total cholesterol and triglyceride levels. Plus, it is an excellent home remedy for a numerous body ailments like high blood pressure, acid reflux, gout, upper respiratory infections, and others.
- Mix 1 tsp of organic apple cider vinegar in a glass of water.
- Drink this 2 or 3 times daily at least for a month.
- You can slowly increase the amount of apple cider vinegar to 2 tsp per glass.
- If you find the taste of apple cider vinegar unpleasant, you can mix it with fresh fruit juices.
7.) Onions as a Remedy to Control Cholesterol at Home
Red onion is one of the best home remedies to reduce cholesterol. Researches have found that onions help lower bad cholesterol and promote good cholesterol levels. This, in turn, reduces the risk of developing heart disease. Here is the method.
- Mix 1 tsp each of onion juice and honey.
- Drink it once daily to see results.
- Add 1 finely chopped onion and ¼ tsp of pepper in a cup of buttermilk. Mix it well.
- Consume this mixture on a daily basis.
- Also, include ginger, onion, and garlic in your diet for better results.
8.) Orange Juice as a Remedy to Reduce Cholesterol
Drinking 3 cups of fresh orange juice every day can be an excellent way to reduce cholesterol levels naturally. Oranges are known to be rich in Vitamin C, folate, and flavonoids.
In a study it has been discovered that drinking 750 ml of pure orange juice daily can encourage HDL cholesterol. It discourages the LDL/HDL ratio in high cholesterol level patients.
- Orange juice prepared with Sterols is even more effective.
- Studies suggest that consuming about 3 grams of phytosterols a day can help reduce total cholesterol by 11% and LDL by 15%.
- So, drinking 2 glasses of plant sterol-fortified orange juice per day can be quite effective.
9.) Coconut Oil as a Natural Remedy to Control Cholesterol at Home
It might be surprising, but coconut oil is one of the most beneficial home remedies to reduce cholesterol. Even though coconut oil is a saturated fat, it is very useful in lowering high cholesterol. Coconut oil has lauric acid that helps promote HDL and enhances the LDL/HDL ratio.
- Add reasonable amounts of organic coconut oil in your diet.
- You can have 1 to 2 tbsp of this oil daily.
- Avoid using processed or refined coconut oil.
10.) Indian Gooseberry as a Remedy to Reduce High Levels of Cholesterol
Indian gooseberry is another one of the effective home remedies to reduce cholesterol. Indian gooseberry is a natural hypolipidemic agent, that means it encourages the reduction of lipid concentrations in the serum. A study revealed that this fruit gives an anti-atherogenic, anti-hyperlipidemic and hypolipidemic effects.
- Add 1 tsp of Indian gooseberry powder in a glass of lukewarm water.
- Drink it every morning on an empty stomach.
- Continue it for several months to see the result.