This article is about home remedies for gingivitis treatment. It is the mildest form of gum disease. It is characterized by an inflammation, irritation, and puffiness of the gums. It is caused due to the bacterial infection. If it is left unchecked then it may lead Periodontitis also known as Pyorrhoea. It is a serious gum disease. Gingivitis and Periodontitis both are major causes of tooth decay and tooth loss. A space is formed between the teeth and gums known as Sulcus. All the food particles, bacteria, and plaque is accumulated in that space. The over and over accumulation leads to gingivitis. However, you need not panic since there are a bunch of home remedies for gingivitis. All you have to do is follow them regularly. Read more, to know home remedies for gingivitis treatment.
Symptoms of Gingivitis:
- Swelling and tenderness in gums.
- The color gums turn red.
- Space between teeth and gums
- Pain in teeth while chewing
- Bad Breath
- Sensitive teeth
Causes of Gingivitis:
- Chewing tobacco or smoking.
- Medications such as steroids, oral contraceptives, anticonvulsants, calcium channel, chemotherapy, and blockers.
- Wrong alignment of teeth.
- Genetic factors
- Poor fitting of dental tools like braces and dentures.
Home Remedies for Gingivitis Treatment:
- Home Remedies for Gingivitis Treatment:
- 1.) Turmeric for Gingivitis Treatment
- 2.) Baking Soda for Gingivitis Treatment
- 3.) Salt for Gingivitis Treatment
- 4.) Oil Pulling to Get Rid of Gingivitis
- 5.) Aloe-Vera for Gingivitis Treatment
- 6.) Lemon Juice for Gingivitis Treatment
- 7.) Clove for Gingivitis Treatment
- 8.) Tea Tree Oil for Gingivitis Treatment
- 9.) Peppermint Oil for Gingivitis Treatment
- 10.) Guava Leaves for Gingivitis Treatment
1.) Turmeric for Gingivitis Treatment
Turmeric is known for its medicinal properties from ancient times. All thanks to the compound known as Curcumin, present in it. It has an anti-inflammatory, anti-plaque, anti-microbial property that comes handy for treating gingivitis and other dental problems. It reduces the swelling, pain and inflammation around the gums. Also, it inhibits the bacterial growth and prevents infection.
How to Use Turmeric to Get Rid of Gingivitis?
- In a small bowl add a teaspoon of turmeric powder, half teaspoon of salt and mustard oil. Mix all these ingredients thoroughly.
- Apply this paste to the teeth and gums and leave it on for a few minutes. Then rinse it off.
- Alternatively, you can make another mixture of a half tablespoon of turmeric powder, a few drops of water or Vitamin E oil. Apply this natural gum pack over the affected gums and teeth. Leave it for 10 minutes and then rinse it off with warm water. Do this regularly once a day until you get encouraging results.
- Also, you can brush your teeth with turmeric. Apply the paste of turmeric over brush and brush, brush!
2.) Baking Soda for Gingivitis Treatment
Baking soda is a well-known home remedy for all types of oral problems. It normalizes the acid level in the mouth and inhibits the growth of the bacteria that leads to gingivitis. Also, it acts as a natural antiseptic and prevents the infection.
How to Use Baking Soda to Treat Gingivitis?
- Make a paste of ¼ teaspoon of baking soda and a few drops of warm water.
- Gently rub this paste over the infected area and leave it for a few minutes. Then rinse it off with lukewarm water.
- Follow this remedy 2-3 times a week.
3.) Salt for Gingivitis Treatment
The antiseptic and antibacterial properties present in the salt makes it is an apt remedy for gingivitis. It cures the swollen and inflamed gums. It eliminates the growth of the bacteria in the mouth. Moreover, it removes the tartar formed over the teeth.
How to Use Salt to Cure Gingivitis?
- In a glass of lukewarm water add a half teaspoon of salt. Use this natural saline solution for gargling. Use the solution to gargle early in the morning and in the evening until you get relief from the gingivitis.
- Also, you can use another mixture that is in a small bowl mix half teaspoon of salt and mustard oil. Gently massage this mixture over the affected gums followed by gargling with warm water.
- Do this 2-3 times a day until you get rid of the gingivitis symptoms.
4.) Oil Pulling to Get Rid of Gingivitis
There are so many home remedies for gingivitis, oil pulling is also very effective. It is a well known Ayurvedic practice which comes handy for maintaining the oral health. It cleans the debris and a bacteria accumulated in space between gums and teeth. It also makes the gums strong and prevents the formation of the plaque and tartar.
How to Do Oil Pulling?
- Fill your mouth with a tablespoon of coconut oil or sesame oil.
- Swish the oil around the gums and teeth for a couple of minutes.
- After swishing, spit it out and rinse it off with the warm water.
- Follow this remedy regularly early in the morning to treat the oral infection.
- P.S- Do not swallow the oil.
5.) Aloe-Vera for Gingivitis Treatment
Aloe-Vera gel is loaded with the healing, antifungal and anti-bacterial properties that come handy to treat the gingivitis. It helps to get rid of the plaque which is a prime cause of the gum disease. Also, it reduces the pain and inflammation around the gums. It also act as a part of remedies for gingivitis.
How to Use Aloe-Vera Gel to Cure Gingivitis?
- Extract fresh gel from the Aloe-Vera plant.
- Gently massage the gel over the gums.
- Leave the gel for a few minutes and then rinse it off with cold water.
- Do this regularly to keep the gum disease at the bay.
6.) Lemon Juice for Gingivitis Treatment
How to Use Lemon Juice to Treat Gingivitis?
- In a glass of water mix a teaspoon of lemon juice. Use this solution as a natural mouthwash after brushing the teeth. Follow this remedy 2 times a day until the symptoms subside.
- Alternatively, mix a tablespoon of fresh lemon juice and a pinch of salt. Apply this mixture to the gums and rinse it with warm water after a few minutes.
- Do this 4-5 times a day to treat the problem.
7.) Clove for Gingivitis Treatment
Another popular home remedy for gum and tooth disease is clove. It has anti-inflammatory, antiseptic and analgesic properties which help to cure the oral problems.
How to Use Clove to Treat Gingivitis?
- Chew 2-3 cloves regularly to treat gingivitis and bad breath.
- Also, you can massage clove oil over affected gums. Leave it on for a few minutes and then rinse it off with warm water later.
- Or, mix a few drops of clove oil in the warm water and use it t rinse your mouth regularly.
- Do this 2-3 times a day, until this gum disease subsides.
8.) Tea Tree Oil for Gingivitis Treatment
The anti-inflammatory and antibiotic properties present in the tea tree oil makes it a perfect contender in the list of home remedies for gingivitis. It gives instant relief from the inflammation and the pain around the gums.
How to Use Tea Tree Oil to Cure Gingivitis?
- Mix a few drops of water in the tea tree oil and gently massage it over the gums and teeth and rinse it after some time.
- Also, you can mix tea tree oil in your regular toothpaste.
- Brush your teeth regularly with tea tree oil to prevent gingivitis
9.) Peppermint Oil for Gingivitis Treatment
Peppermint is loaded with the antibacterial and antiseptic properties which maintain the oral health. Moreover, it also helps to get rid of the gum diseases.
How to Use Peppermint to Prevent Gingivitis?
- Soak a few peppermint leaves in the water for some time. Later strain the water and use it for rinsing.
- You can also prepare strong peppermint tea to get rid of the oral problems.
10.) Guava Leaves for Gingivitis Treatment
Guava leaves are also beneficial for treating the oral problems. The leaves have been used from ancient times to treat the oral problem. They keep the bad breath at the bay. And most important guava leaves inhibit the growth of the bacteria.
How to Use Guava Leave to Cure Gingivitis?
- Chewing the leaves is the easiest way to cure gingivitis.
- Alternatively, grind a few guava leaves and use it as a natural toothpaste.
Additional Tips to Get Rid of Gingivitis:
- Brush your teeth two times a day, especially before going to the bed.
- Visit your dentist once in a month.
- Use a correct toothpaste.
- Always use an antibacterial mouthwash after brushing your teeth.
- Floss regularly