Lice are very common problems faced by people all over the world. In USA every one out of three children is facing the problem of lice. Lice are small parasites that feed on blood and live on the scalp. Lice come to your scalp by coming in touch with the person having lice already during playing, sleepovers or in the school. The other major cause is the use of personal items like combs and brushes of the infected person. The most ordinary signs of lice infestation are red bumps on the scalp and itching on the head. Since the lice reproduce fast, it is very hard to remove them within a few days. Applying numerous tonics and hair shampoo can cause serious problems to hair like dandruff, gray hair and hair fall. Before applying these tonics or consulting to a doctor just read the following home remedies for lice in this article below.
Home Remedies for Lice Treatment:
1.) Coconut Oil to Get Rid of Lice
The greasy behaviour of coconut oil will prevent lice from moving around easily, stopping it from multiplying. It is one of the top home remedies for lice.
- First, wash your hair carefully with apple cider vinegar and let it dry.
- Then totally soak the scalp and hair with coconut oil.
- Wrap your head with a towel before going to bed.
- Comb your hair carefully next morning and then use your regular shampoo.
- Repeat this regularly for a week to get rid of lice.
- To make the healing more useful, add a few drops of anise oil to coconut oil before applying.
2.) Garlic for Head Lice
The strong smell of garlic kills the lice by suffocating them. It is one of the best home remedies for lice.
- Crush eight to ten garlic cloves into a fine paste and add to two teaspoons of lime juice.
- Apply the mixture gently onto the scalp.
- Wait for an hour and then wash the hair with lukewarm water.
- The other way of using the garlic is to make a paste by mixing raw garlic juice with some olive oil, lemon juice, green tea and shampoo.
- Apply paste on the hair thoroughly and mask your scalp with a shower cap for an hour.
- Then rinse your hair with your normal shampoo. Repeat this method on a regular basis for one month.
3.) Tea Tree Oil to Treat Lice
Tea tree oil is a popular insecticide, making it an effective home treatment for head lice.
- Mix one teaspoon of tea tree oil, two ounces of shampoo and two tablespoons of olive or coconut oil.
- Apply the mixture slowly throughout your scalp and cover your head with a shower cap or towel.
- Leave your head covered for an hour and then wash thoroughly with warm water.
- Comb your wet hair to take away the dead lice.
4.) Petroleum Jelly to Cure Head Lice
Petroleum jelly has a killing effect on roaming lice.
- Apply a layer of petroleum jelly to the hair before going to sleep.
- Wrap your head strongly with a shower cap.
- Leave it on overnight.
- In the morning, apply baby oil to take away the petroleum jelly.
- Comb your hair carefully to take away the lice.
5.) Sesame Oil to Get Rid of Lice
Sesame oil is rich in anti-fungal, antibacterial and raw insecticide properties. It can also be used to get rid of head lice problem.
- Mix together a teaspoon of sesame seed oil, a spoon of margosa oil, a spoon of tea tree oil, a teaspoon of eucalyptus and about 5 drops of lavender oil.
- Wash your hair with vinegar and wait till it is dry.
- Apply the oil to the scalp and hair, cover with a towel.
- Comb your hair carefully to take away the dead lice.
- Rinse your hair with your regular shampoo.
6.) Baby Oil to Avoid Lice
Baby oil is home treatment for lice, you will require detergent powder and some vinegar. Baby oil helps in killing the lice by suffocating them.
- Apply baby oil on your scalp and then comb your hair gently.
- So that head lice start falling from your hair.
- Then rinse your hair with detergent and lukewarm
- Before sleep, put some vinegar on your scalp and mask your head with a towel.
- In the morning, rinse your hair with normal shampoo and then use some conditioner.
7.) White Vinegar for Lice Treatment
White Vinegar is an inexpensive and safe way for getting rid of head lice.
- The acetic acid in white vinegar helps to kill lice.
- Mix white vinegar with water to dilute it.
- Soak the scalp and hair with the white vinegar and then cover with a towel around the hair for an hour.
- You can also wash your hair with vinegar before and after doing shampoo.
8.) Olive Oil to Prevent Lice
Olive oil will successfully suffocate and kill head lice. It is one of the exclusive home remedies for lice.
- Apply raw olive oil to your hair carefully before going to bed.
- Put a towel on your scalp to keep the oil on your hair.
- In the morning, comb out lice and then rinse your hair with some shampoo having tea tree oil.
- The other way to use olive oil is mixing it with a half cup of conditioner and some liquid soap into it.
- Apply this mixture onto your hair and wait for an hour.
- Then, wash out your hair and use conditioner.
- Comb your hair carefully to take away the dead lice.
- Repeat this method again after a few days to get better results.
9.) Salt to Get Rid of Head Lice
Salt is a very popular home remedy used to get rid of head lice. It is one of the top home remedies for lice.
- Mix half cup of salt and half cup of vinegar thoroughly.
- Gently drench the mixture onto your hair so that it becomes wet.
- Put on a towel and wait for about two hours.
- Then condition and wash your hair.
- Repeat this regularly for a few days to get visible results.
10.) Mayonnaise to Avoid Lice
Mayonnaise is loaded with oil, which has gluieness properties that will kill live head lice.
- Apply mayonnaise carefully over your scalp.
- Wrap your hair with a towel and wait it on for overnight.
- Shampoo any left over lice out of your scalp.
- Repeat this for a few days for one week.
You need to be careful and patient in using these home remedies for lice.