This article is about home remedies for menstrual cramps. Menstruation cycle is a common phenomenon among women. It starts at the age of 11-13 and ends in 40’s-50’s. It is also known as menopause. It happens every month. Most of the women have smooth menstruation while others suffer from pain which is also known as menstrual cramps. The cramps are also called as period pains or dysmenorrhea. The pain can vary from mild to severe. It occurs in the lower abdomen and other body parts as well. The cramps can begin before or during the menstrual period. The pain is caused due to contraction in the uterus (muscle). Contraction of muscle during menses is a common process, however, if it contracts strongly then it presses the nearby blood vessels that cut-offs the supply of the oxygen. Though the pain can be cured by medicines but it is believed that home remedies are more effective and beneficial for such problems. Read more to know home remedies for menstrual cramps.
Types of Menstrual Cramps:
On the basis of the intensity of the pain, menstrual cramps or dysmenorrhea are classified into primary and secondary dysmenorrheal.
- Primary Dysmenorrhea – It is a common type of menstrual cramps, which starts before the menses and last 2-4 days during the menstrual cycle.
- Secondary Dysmenorrhea – Such pain occurs due to medical problems such as uterine fibroids, endometriosis or pelvic inflammatory disease.
Symptoms of Menstrual Cramps:
- Mild to severe pain in the abdomen.
- Pain in the lower back, inner thighs and hips.
- Feeling of the pressure in the stomach.
- Dizziness and vomiting.
Natural Remedies for Menstrual Cramps:
1.) Hot Compress to treat Menstrual Cramps
This is one of the best remedies for menstrual cramps treatment. The easiest and convenient way of treating menstrual cramp is placing the hot compress on the lower abdomen and back. It relaxes the contraction muscles in the uterus and gives you relief.
How to Apply Hot Compress to Get Rid of Menstrual Cramps?
- Place a heating pad or hot compress over lower abdomen and lower back. Leave it until the pain subsides. You can also use a plastic bottle with hot water as well.
- For hot compress, soak a towel in the warm water, wring out the excess water and place it on the lower abdomen and lower back. Leave the towel and replace it when it cools. Repeat the process until the cramp subsides.
- A hot shower will also help you to treat the menstrual cramps.
- Drinking warm milk with a pinch of turmeric will also treat the menstrual cramps.
2.) Blackstrap Molasses to Cure Menstrual Cramps
It is a time-tested home remedy for menstrual pain. Blackstrap molasses is a rich source of iron, calcium, manganese, selenium, vitamin B6 and magnesium. All these nutrients help to reduce the blood clot and calms the muscles of the uterine walls. This will, in turn, helps to reduce the cramps.
How to Use Blackstrap Molasses to Treat Menstrual Cramps?
- In a cup of warm water mix 2 teaspoons of blackstrap molasses.
- As soon as you experience the cramps drink it.
3.) Cinnamon to Get Rid of Menstrual Cramps
Cinnamon is one of the most effective remedies for menstrual cramps treatment. It has anti-inflammatory, antispasmodic and anti-clotting properties. Moreover, it is a rich source of iron, calcium, dietary fiber and manganese.
How to Use Cinnamon to Cure Menstrual Cramps?
- In a cup of hot water add a teaspoon of cinnamon powder. Let it brew, after some time add a tablespoon of honey to it. Drink this cinnamon tea before the mensuration starts to prevent cramps.
- To treat the pain drink 2-3 glasses of cinnamon tea on the first day of your period.
4.) Ginger to Treat Menstrual Cramps
Ginger can also help you to treat the cramps at its onset. It helps to reduce the levels of the prostaglandins (which causes pain). Moreover, it treats the irregular periods and fatigue which is common during menstruation.
How to Use Ginger to Prevent Menstrual Cramps?
- Grate a ginger and add it to the cup of boiling water. Leave it for 5 minutes.
- Then, strain the solution and add a little lime juice and honey to it. Drink this ginger tea 3-4 a day during menstruation cycle.
- You can also add crushed or ginger paste in your meal meals also.
- Sucking ginger candy will also be equally beneficial.
5.) Fennel to Cure Menstrual Cramps
Fennel has phytoestrogens, antispasmodic and anti- inflammatory properties, that helps to relax the muscles in a uterus. It, in turn, helps you to get rid of the menstrual cramps.
How to Use Fennel Seeds to Prevent Menstrual Cramps?
- In a cup of boiling water add a teaspoon of fennel seeds.
- Boil it on the low flame for a few minutes.
- Remove it from heat, strain it and mix a teaspoon of honey into it.
- Drink this fennel tea during the first three days of menses.
- For best result drink it hot.
6.) Basil Leaves to get Rid of Menstrual Cramps
Another effective herb for treating menstrual cramps at home is basil leaves. This is one of the most amazing remedies for menstrual cramps. It has pain killing and analgesic properties that help to relief the cramps.
How to Use Basil Leaves to Treat Menstrual Cramps?
- In a cup of boiling water add a tablespoon of basil leaves. Steep it for a while. Drink basil tea after every hour to cure the cramps.
- Alternatively, extract juice from basil leaves and mix it in the warm water. Drink this 3-4 times in a day to cure the menstrual cramps.
- You can also add fresh basil leaves in your food or can also chew the leaves.
7.) Parsley for Menstrual Cramps
Parsley has two compounds known as myristicin and apiol, that helps to treat the pain. Also, it can help to regulate the irregular menstrual cycle.
How to Use Parsley to Cure Menstrual Cramps?
- In a cup of boiling water add 2 tablespoons of fresh parsley.
- Leave it to steep for a few minutes.
- Strain the mixture and immediately drink it.
- Drink this 1-2 times a day to cure the pain.
8.) Papaya to Treat Menstrual Cramps
Papaya is an anti-inflammatory agent, therefore, it is one of the best home remedies for menstrual cramps. Moreover, it is a rich source of calcium, iron, vitamins, and carotene that helps calms the uterine wall and relaxes the muscle contraction.
How to Use Papaya to Cure Menstrual Cramps?
- Eat papaya before and during the menstrual cycle.
- Drink papaya juice to cure the cramps and increase the flow of bleeding.
9.) Flaxseed for Menstrual Cramps
Flaxseed reduces the intensity of the cramps. It contains essential fatty acids that help to regulate the production of the progesterone. Also, it improves the function of uterine and cure fertility problems.
How to Use Flaxseed to Get Rid of Menstrual Cramps?
- Consume 1-2 tablespoons full of flaxseed during the periods.
- Alternatively, sprinkle grounded flaxseeds over the salad, yogurt, and cereal or in a smoothie to treat the cramp.
10.) Chamomile Tea to Cure Menstrual Cramps
The antispasmodic and anti-inflammatory properties present in the chamomile tea helps to cure menstrual pain. It calms the uterus and relaxes the spasmodic contractions that cause menstrual cramps.
How to Make Chamomile Tea?
- Boil a cup of water and add chamomile leaves in it. Steep it for a few minutes.
- Add a dash of lemon juice and honey to the chamomile tea.
- Drink it, when it is still hot.
- Drink 2-3 cups of chamomile tea regularly before and during your periods.
11.) Yoga to Prevent Menstrual Cramps
Yoga is a key to every problem. However, it does not help to treat pain rather it helps to prevent the menstrual cramps and it smoothes the flow of bleeding. So practice yoga regularly. It improves the blood circulation and relaxes the contraction. However, avoid strenuous exercises or yoga asanas especially the ones in which stomach is used. Moreover, if you are not able to perform any of them then avoid performing them. Asanas that can be performed during menses are
- One-legged pigeon Pose
- Fish pose
- One- legged forward bend
- Bow pose
- Cobra pose
- Camel pose
12.) Drink Lukewarm Water to Treat Menstrual Cramps
Last but not least drink lukewarm water. It will help you to get rid of the cramps. Lukewarm water relaxes the contraction of muscles in the uterus. Moreover, it improves the flow of bleeding which in turn helps to treat the menstrual cramps. Drink lukewarm water sip by sip during menses to treat the menstrual cramps.