In this article we will discuss different home remedies for Vertigo treatment. Vertigo is a kind of dizziness in which you feel that you or your surroundings are moving, falling, spinning or tilting. However, there is no such movement.
Vertigo can be accompanied by other symptoms like:
Vertigo is more of a symptom than a disease. It is also different from the light-headedness or dizziness. The most common form of vertigo is known as Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV). BPPV is caused due to a disturbance in the calcium particles known as otoliths. It is present in the semicircular canals of the inner ear. Older people are more prone to such problem. It is distinguished by a sensation of motion made by sudden head movements or positional changes. Vertigo normally lasts for less than a minute.
Some other conditions which can cause vertigo are:
- Labyrinthitis (inflammation of the inner ear structure called labyrinth)
- Vestibular neuronitis (inflammation of the vestibular nerve)
- Head injury
- Meniere’s disease
- Problems in the brain or nerves.
- Side effect of certain medications.
In some cases, vertigo improves on its own over a period of time. There are also some home remedies for vertigo which are safe and quite effective to use. But, it is advised to consult your doctor before taking such remedies. Below are some of the home remedies for Vertigo.
Home Remedies for Vertigo Treatment
1.) Ginger as a Remedy for Vertigo
Ginger is one of the most effective home remedies for vertigo treatment. This is because ginger helps enhance blood circulation to the brain and also give relief from nausea. In a study it was found that ginger also helps treat related issues such as migraines and motion sickness.
Directions to Use Ginger to Relieve Vertigo:
- Chew a piece of ginger on a daily basis. It helps alleviate this problem.
- You can also drink ginger tea. Just steep 1 tsp of grated ginger in a cup of boiling water for about 5 minutes.
- After 5 minute strain and sweeten it with honey.
- Drink it 2 times daily for several weeks.
- Alternatively, you can also take ginger supplements. But a consultation with your doctor is recommended.
- Ginger may interfere with certain medications such as antidiabetic, anticoagulant and blood pressure medications. So, consult your doctor.
2.) Cardamom as a Remedy to Treat Vertigo at Home
Cardamom gives a soothing smell and has health properties similar to ginger. Therefore, it helps in the natural treatment of vertigo problem. Also, the massaging method used in this remedy helps alleviate the problem. It is also among the best remedies for vertigo treatment.
Directions to Use Cardamom to Relieve Vertigo:
- Heat 2 tsp of sesame oil.
- Mix ½ tsp of powdered cinnamon and ½ tsp of cardamom to it.
- Massage your head gently with this oil.
- Allow it to sit for a few hours.
- Repeat this process several times a week for at least a month.
3.) Valerian as a Remedy for Vertigo
Directions to Use Valerian to Cure Vertigo Fast:
- Steep 1 tsp of dried valerian root in a cup of water for 5-10 minutes.
- Strain and drink this tea 2-3 times daily for several weeks.
- Plus, take 1 tsp of valerian tincture 1-2 times daily for 2-3 weeks.
- Remember, Taking valerian for a long time can be addictive. So, consult your doctor before taking it.
4.) Almonds as a Natural Treatment for Vertigo
Almond is another Ayurvedic ingredient to treat Vertigo. An effective home remedy can be prepared by a combination of almonds, wheat, pumpkin seeds and poppy seeds (or khuskhus) which can help get rid of vertigo fast.
Directions to Use Almonds to Cure Vertigo:
- Take 7-8 almonds, 3 tbsp of wheat, 7-8 pumpkin seeds, and 1 tsp of poppy seeds and soak them in water overnight.
- In the morning, peel the almonds and grind them with the other ingredients to make a fine paste.
- Saute ½ tsp of cloves in 2 tsp of clarified butter.
- Add the prepared paste and 1 cup of milk to the mixture.
- Bring it to a boil and turn off the heat.
- Sweeten it with some sugar.
- Drink this every day for a week.
5.) Massage Therapy to Treat Vertigo
Massage therapy can also be helpful in dealing with vertigo. Massage therapy helps in solving balance issues and reduce dizziness by focusing on the trigger points in the neck muscles. Massaging also enhances circulation, and give relief from neck pain and stiffness as well.
Direction for Massage Therapy:
- You can do an Indian head massage (known as champi).
- This massage helps get rid of migraines, headaches, tinnitus and insomnia.
- Instead of Indian massage, you can also do a simple massage yourself daily.
- Just massage your head, neck and upper back gently in circular motions.
- For a proper massage, you can have sessions with a professional massage therapist.
- Avoid vigorous massage if you have a bleeding disorder or taking blood-thinning medications.
6.) Epley Maneuver for Vertigo Treatment
The Epley maneuver can be highly effective in vertigo treatment, especially in Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV). It does not possess any serious adverse effects. Research has discovered that this method can help treat BPPV effectively and quickly.
- Sit on your bed and keep a pillow behind you in such way that it is under your shoulders when you lie down.
- If the vertigo issue is in your right ear, then turn your head about 45 degrees to the right or vice versa.
- Quickly lie on your back with your shoulders on the pillow and head reclined into the bed for around 30 seconds.
- Then, without raising your head, turn it 90 degrees to the left and wait for 30 seconds.
- Now, while keeping your head in the same position, turn your whole body quickly another 90 degrees to the left and stay in this position for another 30 seconds.
- Slowly sit, bringing your head back to the center.
- Repeat this 3 times daily until you are without vertigo for at least a day.
- In most of the cases, symptoms disappear within a week.
- It is best to perform all the three cycles of this maneuver before going to sleep at night.
7.) Ginkgo Biloba to Treat Vertigo
Ginkgo biloba is an excellent Chinese traditional medicine. It helps enhance blood flow to the brain, as a result, reducing the dizzy sensation.
- Take 120 to 160 mg of ginkgo biloba extract in 2 or 3 divided doses daily for 3 months.
- You may start noticing improvement after 8 to 12 weeks.
8.) Lemon Balms as a Remedy for Vertigo
Herbalists suggest that lemon balm can be quite helpful with problems such as depression, anxiety, migraines, hypertension, insomnia, nervous tension and vertigo as it is useful for the nervous and circulatory systems. Plus, it also has antiviral properties which helps defend you from any viral attack.
Directions to Use Lemon Balm for Vertigo Relief:
- Take a cup of water and boil it.
- Mix 1 tsp of dried lemon balm to it and let it simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Then, strain the tea and drink it several times a day for a few weeks.
- You can also inhale some lemon balm oil directly.
- But avoid inhaling it for a prolonged time as it can be addictive.
- Remember to consult your doctor before taking such herbal remedies.
9.) Basil as a Remedy for Vertigo
Basil is one of the most excellent home remedies for Vertigo treatment. It is light, spicy and has a sweet smell. Basil works as an excellent aromatherapy remedy for dizziness and vertigo.
Directions to Use Basil to Prevent Vertigo:
- Boil 3-4 basil leaves in 1 cup of milk.
- Drink and inhale this health tonic daily before going to bed.
- Repeat this for at least a month.
10.) Coriander Seeds as a Remedy for Vertigo
Coriander seed is a popular and quite effective Ayurvedic remedy for vertigo. Coriander seed has excellent properties to prevent dizziness. It also has a peculiar smell which helps in treating vertigo.
Directions to Use Coriander for Vertigo Relief:
- Take 1 tsp each of coriander seeds and Indian gooseberry powder. Mix in a cup of water.
- Keep it aside overnight.
- In the morning, strain and drink this solution.
- For a better taste, you can add honey or some sugar to it.
- Repeat this daily at least for a week.
Prove Treatment for Vertigo
1.) Go for Diagnosis
You need a doctor to determine what causing you vertigo. Vertigo is often related two inner ear disorders which are known as benign paroxysmal positional vertigo and Meniere’s disease, but it can be other reasons also. If you have BPPV or Meniere disease, then don’t try to do treatment by yourself. You can treat it if you received diagnosed or any other certain medication. Here are some conditions that lead to vertigo.
- Head injuries and ear injuries can cause vertigo.
- The reason can be migraine.
- Slow blood circulation in the arteries that supply blood to the vein.
- Brain tumors
- Cause by the inner ear injuries such as labyrinthitis or vestibular neuritis.
2.) Consult to a Doctor to Identify which is Ear is Causing Problem
You really have to visit to a doctor to identify the cause of your ear problem. As the treatment of the vertigo is different, depending upon the reason behind the vertigo. You really need to pay attention to know which ear is affecting you. Just pay attention when you feel dizzy. If you are not getting the reason which ear is causing you problem then consult with a doctor.
3.) Try the Epley Maneuver If You Have BPPV
The Epley maneuver is a series of head movements that return the crystals that get loose in your ear to the right place. You can easily perform it with the help of physician that doesn’t even required equipment. Once the doctor will show how to do Epley Maneuver then after that you can do it at home easily whenever you will suffer from vertigo. You can even take the help of online to know the proper movement of your head and how to make adjustment. After performing the Epley Maneuver, you need to stabilize your head for atleast for 48 hours.
4.) Regulate Body Fluids to Treat Meniere’s Disease
You can get rid of the symptoms and also decrease the frequency of episodes of vertigo caused by the inner ear disorder by controlling your body’s fluid retention. You can even try different methods:
If you have vertigo then you need to limit salt consumption and foods with MSG.
You can even take diuretic medication that reduces the fluid retention. Go for taking betahistine hydrochloride. The drug is used to reduce the frequency and severity of vertigo attacks by increasing blood flow around the ear. It is mostly used to treat Meniere disease. You can take the help of the doctor for the information about this treatment.
5.) Go for a Surgery
If the non-surgical treatment are ineffective, then there are some surgical procedure that will help in treating the vertigo which is caused by the inner ear disorder. If you are having vertigo which is cause by these following disorders then you should go for the surgery. If it is BPPV, Meniere disease, Vestibular neuronitis or chronic labyrinthitis, then you should consider surgery.
6.) Sleep in a Right Position
If you are often suffering vertigo then you should sleep with your head propped up. Very common type of vertigo, BPPV occurs when tiny calcium carbonate crystals is one part of your inner ear float to another part of the ear which disturb your equilibrium and also triggers uncomfortable sensation of vertigo. These crystals get dislodged during the night when you move you head in certain ways. And if you sleep slightly elevated then it will help you to prevent the vertigo often. You need to sleep on your back instead of side of your stomach and prop your head up instead of side pillows.
7.) Make Right Position of Your Head
Don’t lower head beneath your shoulders. If you have BPPV, motions like this which can dislodge the crystals in your inner ear and leads to vertigo. It will help you to become more aware of your body movements and take measures to avoid bending over.
If you want to pick something up then you need to bend your knees to lower yourself down instead of bending the waist. You don’t have to do exercise that required being upside down or bending forward.
8.) Don’t Extend Your Neck
When you extend your neck that movement when you are reaching something can cause the crystals movement. Try not to stretch your neck, you need to move your head slowly so that you don’t let your head bob around.
9.) Prevent Sudden Movement
You need to avoid jerky movements that cause your head to move about that cause you vertigo, especially when you chances to getting it. Avoid those activity which make your head might move and quickly. You don’t have to ride the roller coaster or any other rides that make your head to whip back and forth.
Avoid Sports that put you at risk of sudden head and movement. You need to stick to the swimming, walking and jogging instead of high impact.
10.) Eat More Ginger
Ginger is very much effective and also a cure of many problems that treats numerous ailments, which also include some instances of vertigo. You can also take the ginger capsule supplements on daily basis or eat some of the food by itself. You can eat ginger which is a great treatment for many vertigo-sufferers.
11.) Avoid Smoking
If you are in habit of smoking then you need stop smoking. Smoking tobacco which is a great cure as it shown to decrease the efficacy of treatment of vertigo. You can also cut back on smoking and using other tobacco products so you will have less chances of having a vertigo as well you will suffer less from the symptoms.
12.) Go for a Eye Check-up
You need to get an eye sight checked. Dizziness can cause with poor eyesight. You really need to go for eye checkup. You can go for the clear with regular checkups at your optometrist. Make sure that you have regular glasses or accurate contact lenses as it is in mentioned in the prescription. You really have to take care of these things to cure the vertigo.