In this article we will discuss different home remedies for Vertigo treatment. Vertigo is a kind of dizziness in which you feel that you or your surroundings are moving, falling, spinning or tilting. However, there is no such movement.
Vertigo can be accompanied by other symptoms like:
Vertigo is more of a symptom than a disease. It is also different from the light-headedness or dizziness. The most common form of vertigo is known as Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV). BPPV is caused due to a disturbance in the calcium particles known as otoliths. It is present in the semicircular canals of the inner ear. Older people are more prone to such problem. It is distinguished by a sensation of motion made by sudden head movements or positional changes. Vertigo normally lasts for less than a minute.
Some other conditions which can cause vertigo are:
- Labyrinthitis (inflammation of the inner ear structure called labyrinth)
- Vestibular neuronitis (inflammation of the vestibular nerve)
- Head injury
- Meniere’s disease
- Problems in the brain or nerves.
- Side effect of certain medications.
In some cases, vertigo improves on its own over a period of time. There are also some home remedies for vertigo which are safe and quite effective to use. But, it is advised to consult your doctor before taking such remedies. Below are some of the home remedies for Vertigo.
Home Remedies for Vertigo Treatment
1.) Ginger as a Remedy for Vertigo
Ginger is one of the most effective home remedies for vertigo treatment. This is because ginger helps enhance blood circulation to the brain and also give relief from nausea. In a study it was found that ginger also helps treat related issues such as migraines and motion sickness.
Directions to Use Ginger to Relieve Vertigo:
- Chew a piece of ginger on a daily basis. It helps alleviate this problem.
- You can also drink ginger tea. Just steep 1 tsp of grated ginger in a cup of boiling water for about 5 minutes.
- After 5 minute strain and sweeten it with honey.
- Drink it 2 times daily for several weeks.
- Alternatively, you can also take ginger supplements. But a consultation with your doctor is recommended.
- Ginger may interfere with certain medications such as antidiabetic, anticoagulant and blood pressure medications. So, consult your doctor.
2.) Cardamom as a Remedy to Treat Vertigo at Home
Cardamom gives a soothing smell and has health properties similar to ginger. Therefore, it helps in the natural treatment of vertigo problem. Also, the massaging method used in this remedy helps alleviate the problem. It is also among the best remedies for vertigo treatment.
Directions to Use Cardamom to Relieve Vertigo:
- Heat 2 tsp of sesame oil.
- Mix ½ tsp of powdered cinnamon and ½ tsp of cardamom to it.
- Massage your head gently with this oil.
- Allow it to sit for a few hours.
- Repeat this process several times a week for at least a month.
3.) Valerian as a Remedy for Vertigo
Directions to Use Valerian to Cure Vertigo Fast:
- Steep 1 tsp of dried valerian root in a cup of water for 5-10 minutes.
- Strain and drink this tea 2-3 times daily for several weeks.
- Plus, take 1 tsp of valerian tincture 1-2 times daily for 2-3 weeks.
- Remember, Taking valerian for a long time can be addictive. So, consult your doctor before taking it.
4.) Almonds as a Natural Treatment for Vertigo
Almond is another Ayurvedic ingredient to treat Vertigo. An effective home remedy can be prepared by a combination of almonds, wheat, pumpkin seeds and poppy seeds (or khuskhus) which can help get rid of vertigo fast.
Directions to Use Almonds to Cure Vertigo:
- Take 7-8 almonds, 3 tbsp of wheat, 7-8 pumpkin seeds, and 1 tsp of poppy seeds and soak them in water overnight.
- In the morning, peel the almonds and grind them with the other ingredients to make a fine paste.
- Saute ½ tsp of cloves in 2 tsp of clarified butter.
- Add the prepared paste and 1 cup of milk to the mixture.
- Bring it to a boil and turn off the heat.
- Sweeten it with some sugar.
- Drink this every day for a week.
5.) Massage Therapy to Treat Vertigo
Massage therapy can also be helpful in dealing with vertigo. Massage therapy helps in solving balance issues and reduce dizziness by focusing on the trigger points in the neck muscles. Massaging also enhances circulation, and give relief from neck pain and stiffness as well.
Direction for Massage Therapy:
- You can do an Indian head massage (known as champi).
- This massage helps get rid of migraines, headaches, tinnitus and insomnia.
- Instead of Indian massage, you can also do a simple massage yourself daily.
- Just massage your head, neck and upper back gently in circular motions.
- For a proper massage, you can have sessions with a professional massage therapist.
- Avoid vigorous massage if you have a bleeding disorder or taking blood-thinning medications.
6.) Epley Maneuver for Vertigo Treatment
The Epley maneuver can be highly effective in vertigo treatment, especially in Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV). It does not possess any serious adverse effects. Research has discovered that this method can help treat BPPV effectively and quickly.
- Sit on your bed and keep a pillow behind you in such way that it is under your shoulders when you lie down.
- If the vertigo issue is in your right ear, then turn your head about 45 degrees to the right or vice versa.
- Quickly lie on your back with your shoulders on the pillow and head reclined into the bed for around 30 seconds.
- Then, without raising your head, turn it 90 degrees to the left and wait for 30 seconds.
- Now, while keeping your head in the same position, turn your whole body quickly another 90 degrees to the left and stay in this position for another 30 seconds.
- Slowly sit, bringing your head back to the center.
- Repeat this 3 times daily until you are without vertigo for at least a day.
- In most of the cases, symptoms disappear within a week.
- It is best to perform all the three cycles of this maneuver before going to sleep at night.
7.) Ginkgo Biloba to Treat Vertigo
Ginkgo biloba is an excellent Chinese traditional medicine. It helps enhance blood flow to the brain, as a result, reducing the dizzy sensation.
- Take 120 to 160 mg of ginkgo biloba extract in 2 or 3 divided doses daily for 3 months.
- You may start noticing improvement after 8 to 12 weeks.
8.) Lemon Balms as a Remedy for Vertigo
Herbalists suggest that lemon balm can be quite helpful with problems such as depression, anxiety, migraines, hypertension, insomnia, nervous tension and vertigo as it is useful for the nervous and circulatory systems. Plus, it also has antiviral properties which helps defend you from any viral attack.
Directions to Use Lemon Balm for Vertigo Relief:
- Take a cup of water and boil it.
- Mix 1 tsp of dried lemon balm to it and let it simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Then, strain the tea and drink it several times a day for a few weeks.
- You can also inhale some lemon balm oil directly.
- But avoid inhaling it for a prolonged time as it can be addictive.
- Remember to consult your doctor before taking such herbal remedies.
9.) Basil as a Remedy for Vertigo
Basil is one of the most excellent home remedies for Vertigo treatment. It is light, spicy and has a sweet smell. Basil works as an excellent aromatherapy remedy for dizziness and vertigo.
Directions to Use Basil to Prevent Vertigo:
- Boil 3-4 basil leaves in 1 cup of milk.
- Drink and inhale this health tonic daily before going to bed.
- Repeat this for at least a month.
10.) Coriander Seeds as a Remedy for Vertigo
Coriander seed is a popular and quite effective Ayurvedic remedy for vertigo. Coriander seed has excellent properties to prevent dizziness. It also has a peculiar smell which helps in treating vertigo.
Directions to Use Coriander for Vertigo Relief:
- Take 1 tsp each of coriander seeds and Indian gooseberry powder. Mix in a cup of water.
- Keep it aside overnight.
- In the morning, strain and drink this solution.
- For a better taste, you can add honey or some sugar to it.
- Repeat this daily at least for a week.