Earwax is very commonly found in the human’s ear. If you have excessive earwax in your ear, then you can not deal with earwax easily. You need to follow some home remedies to remove earwax naturally, which you will get in this article. The medical name for earwax is Cerumen. Earwax is sticky and yellowish in color which is produced by glands in the ear canal. Its main function is to trap dust and prevent them from reaching and damaging the eardrum. It may also prevent the growth of fungi and bacteria in the ear canal. Ear wax can deposit inside the ear canal due to the use of objects such as Q-tips or cotton swabs and bobby pins which push the earwax deep inside the ear. People who use hearing aids or ear plugs are more prone to earwax blockage. Excessive earwax may also build up due to a narrowing of the ear canal which resulting from some kind of disease of the skin or connective tissue. There are some natural remedies and home remedies that will help to unblock and remove earwax from your ears.
Symptoms of Earwax:
- Itching in the ear canal
- Tinnitus (ringing in the ear)
- Sensation in the ear
- A hearing problem
- Whirling sensation in the ear
Causes of Earwax:
- Avoid using headphones that can produce earwax.
- Do not dig your ear with any pointed and rolled napkin corners.
- Having narrow ear canals
Home Remedies to Remove Earwax Naturally:
Follow these home remedies to get rid of earwax.
1.) Olive Oil to Remove Earwax Naturally
Olive oil is the best and effective way to remove earwax. It helps to soften the wax and make it easy to come out of the ear. It contains antiseptic properties which reduce the chances of increasing ear infection.
Steps to Use Olive Oil to Clean Earwax Fast:
- Slightly heat some olive oil.
- By using a dropper, take 3 or 4 drops of warm oil and put it into the affected ear.
- Keep it to settle for 10 minutes to make earwax soft.
- Slightly tilt your head sideways so that you can remove the oil with ear buds.
- An alternative option is mustard oil. You can also use it instead of olive oil.
2.) Warm Water to Remove Earwax Naturally
By using warm water you can easily get rid of earwax. Because it helps to force the earwax to come out of the ear, make it easy to remove. Make sure water should be clean and filtered.
Steps to Use Warm Water to Get Rid of Earwax Naturally:
- Take a rubber bulb syringe. Fill it with slightly warm water.
- Tilt your head up and pull your ear outer side to straighten the ear canal.
- By using a syringe, put a small amount of water into the ear. Leave it for one minute.
- Then, tilt your head to the opposite side to drain it out. Use a clean cloth to clear the wax and water.
3.) Vinegar and Rubbing Alcohol to Get Rid of Earwax
Vinegar and rubbing alcohol solution is an old age home remedy to remove earwax. This solution dissolves the earwax. The alcohol act as a drying agent and the vinegar will fight against fungi and bacteria. Hence, it prevents from an ear infection.
Steps to Use Vinegar and Rubbing Alcohol to Clean Earwax:
- Combine equal parts of white vinegar and rubbing alcohol in a bowl.
- Dab a cotton ball in this solution.
- Tilt your ear upper side so that you can easily put 2 to 4 drops of this solution into the ear.
- Leave it for 5 minutes and tilt your head to the opposite direction.
- Then the solution and wax come out easily from the ear. Use ear bud to remove the ear wax.
4.) Baby Oil to Remove Earwax Naturally
Use baby oil for softening and removal of the earwax.
Steps to Use Baby Oil to Clean Earwax:
- Put 2 to 3 drops of baby oil into the ear with an ear dropper. Leave it for a few minutes.
- Then tilt your head in the opposite direction and remove the extra oil with a cotton ball.
- Clean the opening of the ear with a soft cloth.
- You can also use mineral oil instead of baby oil.
5.) Hydrogen Peroxide for Earwax Removal
Hydrogen peroxide is another home remedy to remove earwax. Due to its effervescent property, hydrogen peroxide can easily remove the earwax from the ear canal easily.
Steps to Use Hydrogen Peroxide to Prevent Earwax:
- Combine equal parts of hydrogen peroxide and water.
- Put a few drops of this solution into the ear with ear dropper.
- Keep it for some time, then tilt your head so that the solution can easily come out of the ear.
- Remove the wax with a clean cloth.
6.) Salt Water to Get Rid of Earwax Naturally
The best earwax removal solution is salt water. Salt water softens the earwax residing in your ear, make it easy to get rid of.
Steps to Use Salt Water to Avoid Earwax Buildup:
- Combine one teaspoon of salt and one-half cup of water.
- Mix it well so that salt dissolves properly.
- Dab a cotton ball in the saline solution.
- Squeeze the cotton to put a few drops of this solution into the ear canal.
- Leave it for 3 to 5 minutes.
- To drain out the saline water tilt your head downwards. Take a clean cloth to clean the ear wax.
7.) Baking Soda to Treat Earwax Fast
Baking soda is one of the best natural remedies for treating earwax buildup. A water-based solution which contains ten percent baking soda can soften hardened wax.
Steps to Use Baking Soda to Clear Earwax Fast:
- Combine one-fourth teaspoon of baking soda and two teaspoons of water.
- Tilt your head towards the sky and put a few drops of this solution into the ear.
- Stay in this position for ten minutes.
- Then tilt your head in the opposite direction to remove the excess solution as well as earwax.
- Take a soft and clean cloth to clean your outer ear.
8.) Almond Oil to Get Rid of Earwax Fast & Naturally
Almond oil plays a vital role in the removal of earwax. This oil acts as a softener and lubricant for wax, resulting to clear wax easily.
Steps to Use Almond Oil to Clear Earwax Naturally:
- Use room temperature almond oil.
- Then, use an ear dropper to put 5 drops of almond oil into the affected ear.
- Keep it for 10 to 15 minutes to convert the hardened wax into softened wax.
- Now tilt your head to drain out the excess oil as well as earwax.
- Use soft cloth to clean out the wax and ear.
9.) Omega-3 Fatty Acids to Remove Earwax Fast
Deficiency in omega-3 fatty acid is one of the common causes of excessive earwax. So increase your intake of omega-3 fatty acids that can remove the excess wax which is residing in the ear.
Steps to Use Omega-3 Fatty Acid to Clean Earwax:
- Include those foods which are rich in omega-3 fatty acids such as avocados, walnuts, salmon, cod liver oil, sardines, mackerel, and ground flaxseed in your diet.
- You can also take omega- 3 supplement by consulting a doctor.
10.) Glycerin to Remove Earwax Fast & Naturally
Glycerin is the another method which helps to convert hardened wax into softened wax. Due to its moisturizing and lubricating nature, it will help to remove wax.
Steps to Use Glycerin to Remove Earwax Naturally:
- Take some glycerin in an ear dropper. Then, put 3 to 4 drops of glycerin in your ear.
- Keep it for few hours. Tilt your ear to remove your wax. Use a cloth to clean your ear.