In this article, we will discuss about the restless leg syndrome. We will also suggest you some of the best home remedies for restless leg syndrome. In the restless leg syndrome condition you will feel constant sensations in your legs. This sensation can keep you awake even though your rest of the body wants to sleep. This strange sensation should not be taken lightly. You may be suffering from Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS) without even knowing it. Restless leg syndrome is a neurological disorder of the part of our nervous system which causes an uncontrollable urge to move the legs. As it usually interferes with your sleep, it is also categorized as a sleeping disorder. A person with RLS have uncomfortable sensations in his/her legs and even in arms or other parts of the body. Such person has an irresistible urge to move the legs to relieve the sensations. The condition lead to an uncomfortable, “itchy, pinning and crawly feeling in the legs. The sensations are generally worse at rest, especially when sitting or lying. This condition is affecting about 12 million Americans. There are many causes and symptoms of this condition. Some of the causes and symptoms are listed below.
Causes of Restless Leg Syndrome
The exact cause behind restless legs syndrome is unknown. Although, it has been associated with following:
- Iron deficiency
- Kidney failure.
- Nerve disease.
- High blood pressure
- Heart disease.
Symptoms of Restless Leg Syndrome
- An uncontrollable urge to move your legs.
These symptoms are more prominent during the night when you are relaxing or resting. RLS can affect people of all ages. The condition usually gets worse with age. Women are more prone to RLS than men. Proper medical treatment can help get rid of the problem fast and naturally. You can also try some home remedies for restless leg syndrome, which can help relax your legs and help you get a better sleep.
Home Remedies for Restless Leg Syndrome
1.) Black Strap Molasses as a Home Remedy for Restless leg Syndrome
Black strap molasses are known to be rich in iron. It is believed that black strap can be quite useful to treat the different symptoms of restless legs syndrome. It is one of the top home remedies for restless leg syndrome. Iron is a major component of haemoglobin, it helps carry oxygen from the lungs to the rest of the body’s cells. Iron is also essential for energy and healthy metabolism. It also has calcium and potassium. You can find black strap molasses at many health or natural food stores.
Directions to Use Black Strap Molasses for RLS Treatment:
- Take 1 tbsp of black strap molasses and stir into a cup of water.
- Drink the solution 3o minutes before going to bed.
- Drink this daily for visible results.
- You can also try a combination of equal amount of both black strap molasses and apple cider vinegar.
- Take both and mix in a cup of water.
- Drink it regularly for visible result.
2.) Coconut Oil for Restless Leg Syndrome Treatment
Coconut oil is one of the most effective treatments for restless leg syndrome treatment. Coconut oil helps enhance blood circulation and calms the nerves to help you sleep better at night. It is one of the quickest home remedies for restless leg syndrome treatment. Here is the method.
Directions to Use Coconut Oil to Treat RLS:
- Take some coconut oil and warm it slightly.
- Rub this warm oil all over your legs.
- Massage it on your legs in circular motions, going upward from the ankles.
- Repeat this daily to calm your muscles.
- Instead of coconut oil, you can also use warm mustard oil in the same way.
3.) Apple Cider Vinegar to Get Rid of Restless Leg Syndrome
Apple cider vinegar or ACV is one of the alkaline food, which helps balance pH levels in the body. Also, it helps enhance absorption of nutrients in the body. It is one of the best home remedies for restless leg syndrome. Thus, apple cider vinegar is very useful for treating RLS condition.
Directions to Use ACV to Get Rid of Restless Legs Syndrome:
- Take 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar and mix it in a glass of lukewarm water.
- Drink it slowly about 30 minutes before going to bed.
- Repeat this daily.
- If you cannot bear the taste of it, there are apple cider vinegar tablets available.
- But, consult your doctor before taking such supplement.
- Alternatively, you can gently rub a little amount of apple cider vinegar on your legs before going to bed every night.
4.) Hot and Cold Foot Soaks as a Remedy for Restless Leg Syndrome
Alternating use of both warm and cold soaks for your leg muscles can be quite useful. This remedy helps prevent cramping and ease pain caused by RLS. It is one of the most effective home remedies for restless leg syndrome. The heat improves blood circulation, whereas the cold lowers inflammation.
Directions to Use Hot and Cold Foot Soaks fot RLS Treatment:
- Fill one bucket with bearable hot water and another with cold water.
- Keep your feet in the hot water for 2-3 minutes.
- Then dip your feet in cold water for about 10 to 60 seconds.
- Repeat this process 2 or 3 times.
- Repeat this remedy 2 times daily for effective results.
5.) Chamomile as a Remedy for Restless Leg Syndrome
Chamomile is an herb, which works as a mild sedative to soothe the nerves and muscles. Daily use of chamomile helps you sleep better and also helps in insomnia. It is one of the best remedy if you are not able to sleep due to RLS.
Directions to Use Chamomile for RLS Prevention:
- Have a warm cup of chamomile tea daily to reduce tension and stress in the muscles and nerves.
- Drink this tea 1 to 2 hours before going to bed.
- Other than that, you can massage your legs with chamomile oil for several minutes before going to bed.
6.) Lavender Oil as a Remedy for Restless Leg Syndrome
Lavender oil is very useful as a relaxant. Hence, it helps lower various symptoms of RLS. The aromatic smell of the oil has a soothing effect, which will help you sleep better.
Directions to Use Lavender as Restless Leg Syndrome Cure:
- Just rub several drops of lavender oil on the bottom of you both foot before going to sleep every night.
- Other than that, take a few drops of lavender oil and add in a small tub of lukewarm water.
- Soak your both feet in this water for about 10 minutes before going to bed every night.
7.) Camphor for Restless Leg Syndrome
Camphor is known to have excellent therapeutic and antispasmodic properties. Camphor helps reduce inflammation and RLS symptoms effectively. It is one of the best home remedies for restless leg syndrome.
Directions to Use Camphor as Restless Leg Syndrome Cure:
- Take small amount of camphor oil and gently rub it on your legs before going to bed.
- After a few minutes, you can notice that the tingling sensation in your legs has disappeared.
- Repeat this process daily.
- You can also use camphor cream in the same manner. Both are beneficial.
8.) Peppermint as a Remedy for Restless Leg Syndrome
Peppermint is known for its high menthol content, which can help ease the restless feelings in your legs and provide relief from aching muscles. It is one of the top home remedies for restless leg syndrome.
Directions to Use Peppermint to Treat RLS:
- Prepare peppermint tea and drink a cup of it daily before going to bed.
- It will help relax the muscles and give you a restful sleep.
- Having 3 to 4 cups of peppermint tea daily is considered healthy.
- Alternatively, you can apply peppermint oil directly on the legs.
- Gently massage, peppermint oil on your legs for 5 to 10 minutes.
- This will help you get relief from tension.
9.) Epsom Salt as a Remedy for Restless Leg Syndrome
An Epsom salt bath right before going to bed is considered very effective for RLS. It helps you sleep better at night. The high amount of magnesium sulphate in Epsom salt helps relax sore muscles and calms the nerves. It is one of the greatest home remedies for restless leg syndrome.
Directions to Use Epsom Salt to Treat RLS:
- Take 1 cup of Epsom salt and pour it into warm bath water.
- Stir it well to help the salt dissolve in the water completely.
- Soak your feet the bath for at least half an hour.
- Repeat this process daily for quicker results.
10.) Tonic Water as a Remedy for Restless Legs Syndrome
Tonic water is a carbonated soft drink which contains a compound known as quinine. Quinine help improve the nervous system and give relief from different symptoms of restless legs syndrome. This water works as a muscle relaxant and enhances blood flow to the muscles. It is one of the fastest home remedies for restless leg syndrome.
- Drink ¼ cup of tonic water before going to bed every night.
- Drink it slowly so that the body gets time to absorb the quinine.
- Large doses of quinine can have negative side effects on your body.
- So, take about 20 mg of quinine per 8 ounces of tonic water, it is considered safe to use.