This article deals with home remedies for rheumatoid arthritis. Rheumatoid arthritis also known as (RA) is a disease in which the immune system of the body (which saves our body from the alien substances like viruses or bacteria) start attacking the joints. The attack on joints gives way to inflammation which further thickens the tissue(lying under the joints). This result pain in and around the joints.
If the inflammation is not cured on time then it can worsen the condition and can even damage the cartilage, that covers the bonds and their ends. Doctors ask for various surgeries in order to treat the condition. However, those surgeries and treatments are not 100% safe. So it’s better to follow home remedies for rheumatoid arthritis. Read more, to know about the home remedies of rheumatoid arthritis.
Symptoms of Rheumatoid Arthritis:
- Pain in joints
- Loss of appetite
- Swelling and stiffness in joints.
- Joints of a wrist, hands and feet are affected.
- Pain and dryness in eyes.
- Short Breath
- Inflammation in blood vessels.
- Red blood cells reduce.
Risk Factors of Rheumatoid Arthritis:
- Women are more vulnerable to rheumatoid arthritis.
- Although it can occur at any age but it is commonly found among 40-60 age group.
- The diseases can be inherited from one family member to the another.
Home Remedies for Rheumatoid Arthritis:
- Home Remedies for Rheumatoid Arthritis:
- 1.) Ice Pack for Rheumatoid Arthritis
- 2.) Olive Oil for Rheumatoid Arthritis
- 3.) Ginger for Rheumatoid Arthritis
- How to Use Ginger for Rheumatoid Arthritis?
- 4.) Apple Cider Vinegar for Rheumatoid Arthritis
- 5.) Honey and Cinnamon for Rheumatoid Arthritis
- 6.) Garlic for Rheumatoid Arthritis
- 7.) Epsom Salt for Rheumatoid Arthritis
- How to Use Epsom Salt for Rheumatoid Arthritis?
- 8.) Castor Oil for Rheumatoid Arthritis
- 9.) Hot Milk for Rheumatoid Arthritis
- 10.) Fenugreek Seeds for Rheumatoid Arthritis
- 11.) Turmeric for Rheumatoid Arthritis
- 12.) Green Tea for Rheumatoid Arthritis
1.) Ice Pack for Rheumatoid Arthritis
The ice pack can aid rheumatoid in hands. It works as a cold therapy and reduces the inflammation, irritation, redness around the joints of hands. However, every person responds differently with the ice pack. Either use ice pack, available in the market or you can make your own ice pack:
- In washcloth put few ice cubes and wrap the cloth your home made ice pack is ready.
- Or you can use a plastic bag of frozen veggies as ice therapy.
How to Use Ice Pack:
- Dab the ice pack at the affected area for 5-8 minutes.
- Repeat this treatment for 15-20 minutes, 3-5 times a day.
- Apply the ice therapy at 1-2 joints at a time.
- However, make sure your joints are covered with a towel and apply the cold compress over the towel to avoid frostbite.
2.) Olive Oil for Rheumatoid Arthritis
A compound known as oleocanthal is present in the oil. The compound treats the production of the pro-inflammatory COX-1 and COX-2 enzymes which give way to inflammation and pain around the joints.
How to Use Olive Oil for Rheumatoid Arthritis?
- Use olive oil to massage the joints of hands and fingers.
- Alternatively, you can mix 3-5 drops of lavender oil in lukewarm olive oil for massage.
- Also, use olive oil while cooking the food to reduce the risk of the disease.
3.) Ginger for Rheumatoid Arthritis
Ginger is packed with anti-inflammatory properties and antioxidants that help to reduce the pain and inflammation caused by arthritis. To treat arthritis use ginger as a spice and as a main ingredient in your regular tea.
How to Use Ginger for Rheumatoid Arthritis?
- In a cup of water boil a small piece of ginger.
- Boil the water for 10 minutes and then steep it.
- Strain the water, you can add a half tablespoon of honey in it to add sweetness.
- Drink this tea 2-3 times a day.
- Follow this remedy until you get relief from arthritis.
4.) Apple Cider Vinegar for Rheumatoid Arthritis
ACV is anti-inflammatory and alkaline in nature. This property of ACV helps to reduce the stiffness, pain and inflammation of hands (joints).
How to Use ACV for Rheumatoid Arthritis?
- In a glass of warm water mix 1 tablespoon of organic apple cider vinegar and honey.
- Consume this solution every day to reduce the pain and the stiffness around the joints.
- Alternatively, in a bucket mix a cup of warm apple cider vinegar and one-half tablespoon of cayenne pepper.
- Soak your joints in the bucket for 15-20 minutes.
- Later rinse the joints and follow this remedy regularly to get rid of the arthritis pain.
5.) Honey and Cinnamon for Rheumatoid Arthritis
The mixture of honey and cinnamon is considered to be an ideal natural treatment for arthritis in hands. It reduces the stiffness in joints because of the healing properties present in the mixture honey and cinnamon. Moreover, honey is a natural antiseptic, whereas cinnamon is anti-inflammatory and contains antioxidants that cure arthritis.
How to Use Honey and Cinnamon for Rheumatoid Arthritis?
- In a small bowl mix 11/2 tablespoon of cinnamon powder and a tablespoon of honey.
- Consume this mixture early in the morning with empty stomach.
- Eat the mixture regularly until you get desired results.
6.) Garlic for Rheumatoid Arthritis
Garlic is another ingredient which is found in every kitchen. The herb comes handy for treat arthritis as well. Garlic is packed with anti-inflammatory properties that help to reduce inflammation and pain caused due to arthritis. Moreover, it contains sulfur that cures the inflammation in joints and selenium that ahs antirheumatic effects on the joints.
How to Use Garlic for Rheumatoid Arthritis:
- Eat 1-2 cloves of garlic regularly. Add the herb while cooking the food.
- And 2 chopped garlic cloves in 2 tablespoons of hot mustard oil.
- Leave the oil to cool at room temperature. Massage this oil on the affected area.
- Massage the oil 2 times a day.
7.) Epsom Salt for Rheumatoid Arthritis
The epsom salt comes handy for reducing the pain and stiffness in and around the joints. Since it is a good source of magnesium, therefore, it mineralizes the bones and reduces the nerve pain.
How to Use Epsom Salt for Rheumatoid Arthritis?
- In a bucket or small tub mix 2 cups of Epsom salt with warm water.
- Soak your painful joints in the water for 15-30 minutes.
- Follow this remedy 3 -4 times a week until you get rid of the arthritis pain.
8.) Castor Oil for Rheumatoid Arthritis
A component called ricinoleic acid is found in castor oil. The component has anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties that treat arthritis pain.
How to Use Castor Oil for Rheumatoid Arthritis?
- Gently massage the affected area with castor oil 2-3 times a day.
- Alternatively, boil 2 tablespoons of castor oil and mix it in a glass of orange juice.
- Drink the juice before the breakfast.
- Follow this remedy regularly to get rid of arthritis pain.
- Since castor oil is laxative so do not drink it more than prescribed quantity.
9.) Hot Milk for Rheumatoid Arthritis
Hot milk with turmeric is one of the effective remedies for arthritis. Turmeric is filled with anti-inflammatory properties and certain antioxidants that treat the arthritis pain. Moreover, it also has anti-bacterial and antiseptic properties.
How to Use Turmeric for Rheumatoid Arthritis?
- In a glass of hot milk, mix 1 teaspoon of turmeric along with honey.
- Drink this milk daily.
10.) Fenugreek Seeds for Rheumatoid Arthritis
Fenugreek also has anti-inflammatory properties and antioxidants which help the arthritis patient to get rid of the disease.
How to Use Fenugreek Seeds for Rheumatoid Arthritis?
- In a bowl of water soak 1 teaspoon of fenugreek seeds overnight.
- Next morning strain the seeds and eat them.
- Eat soaked fenugreek seeds until you notice encouraging results.
11.) Turmeric for Rheumatoid Arthritis
Turmeric is one of the best home remedies for RA. It contains a compound known as curcumin. The compund has antioxidant property that helps to treat the inflammation and pain.
How to Use Turmeric for Rheumatoid Arthritis?
- Boil a cup of water. Add a teaspoon and small pice of ginger in it.
- Strain the solution and drink it.
- Alternatively, make a paste of turmeric powder and ginger powder with water. Apply this paste on the affected joint.
- The easiest way to use turmeric for RA is mix a a teaspoonof turmiric in a glass of warm water and drink it 1-2 times a day until the pain is gone completely.
12.) Green Tea for Rheumatoid Arthritis
Green tea boost the immune system.It reduces the inflammation and pain. It has anti-inflammatory property tha helps to treat RA.
How to Use Green Tea for Rheumatoid Arthritis?
- Drink 2-3 cups of green tea regularly.
- Use warm green tea bag as hot compress to to treat RA.