In this article we will discuss different home remedies for sprain treatment. Sprain is one of the most common injuries. Many of you would have got a sprain once in your life. Sprain is an injury in which ligaments present in your joint gets wrenched or twisted. These twisted ligaments causes pain, swelling and inflammation in the injured area. Sprain mainly occurs in joints such as ankle, wrist, neck and other joints. Usually, most sprain gets healed by itself within a week or so. However, one must take proper measures so as to prevent further worsening of the injury. With proper precaution and following below given home remedies for sprain treatment, one can speed up the healing process. Let use know the causes and symptoms first.
Causes of Sprain:
- Ligament torn
- Falling accidentally
- Excess stretched, joints
- Walking or running on uneven surfaces.
Symptoms of Sprain:
Home Remedies For Sprain Treatment:
- Home Remedies For Sprain Treatment:
- 1.) Ice as a Remedy for Sprain Treatment
- 2.) Cold Compressor as a Remedy to Get Rid of Sprain Fast and Naturally
- 3.) Bandage to Treat Sprain in Hand and Foot Fast and Naturally
- 4.) Garlic as a Remedy for Sprain Treatment
- 5.) Epsom Salt as a Natural Remedy for Sprain Treatment
- 6.) Arnica as a Remedy for Sprain Treatment
- 7.) Castor Oil as a Remedy for Sprain Treatment
- 8.) Turmeric as a Remedy for Sprain Treatment
- 9.) Cabbage as a Home Remedy To Treat Sprain Naturally and Fast
- 10.) Onion as a Natural Remedy for Sprain Treatment
1.) Ice as a Remedy for Sprain Treatment
Applying ice on the sprained area can be quite effective in relieving one from the pain and swelling. Sprain causes severe inflammation in the ligaments. Applying ice prevents ligaments from getting inflamed and also keep a check on any bleeding from the torn ligament. Applying ice to the affected area for first 48 to 72 is considered very effective in order to heal a sprain faster.
Directions for Ice Remedy:
- Take some ice cube and wrap them in a towel.
- Hold the towel against the sprain area and gently dab.
- Do this for 20 to 30 minutes every 2 to 3 hours.
- Continue this first 2 to 3 days after the injury.
- Remember not to apply ice directly on the skin as it may damage the skin.
- Compressing ice will prevent swelling, inflammation and heal sprain faster.
2.) Cold Compressor as a Remedy to Get Rid of Sprain Fast and Naturally
This is one of the best remedies for sprain treatment. If you can’t find ice to compress the injured area, you can simply use cold compressor like a frozen package of vegetable or anything cold. You can also use any frozen metal for treating sprains. Here is the method.
Directions For Cold Compressing:
- Take 4-6 metal bowl and keep them freezer’
- Let them freeze for 15 to 20 minutes.
- After 25 to 20 minutes take the bowl out of the freezer.
- Compress the sprained area with the bowl for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Replace the bowl with the other frozen bowl when it starts to get warm.
- Repeat this every 2 to 3 hours for first 48 to 72 hours after getting injured.
3.) Bandage to Treat Sprain in Hand and Foot Fast and Naturally
Usually when you get your ligament twisted, it causes the swelling in that area. Wrapping the area with bandage soon after the injury helps prevent swelling. Bandage also helps control pain and checks any further damage. Keeping a crepe or elastic bandage in your home can come handy as you never know when you can get hurt by such sprain.
Directions to Use Bandage:
- If you have a sprain in your ankle, wrap the bandage covering your toes to mid calf of the leg.
- Wrap it by putting a little bit of pressure on it.
- But, do not wrap it too tight as it may hamper blood circulation.
- Keep it wrapped until the swelling reduces or completely vanishes.
- You can remove the bandage before going to sleep as you will not be putting any strain on the ankle during sleep.
4.) Garlic as a Remedy for Sprain Treatment
Garlic is counted among the most effective remedies for. Garlic is known to have anti inflammatory properties that help alleviate pain and inflammation naturally. Garlic also boosts strength and energy which results in a faster healing process. Here are the methods.
Directions to Use Garlic:
- Mix 1 tbsp of each garlic oil and almond oil.
- Rub with this mixture on the sprained area 2 to 3 times a day.
- Repeat it until the condition improves.
- Squeeze 1 tbsp of garlic juice and add it in 2 tbsp of coconut oil.
- Massage with this solution on the injured area.
- Leave it for 20 to 30 minutes before washing with lukewarm water.
- Repeat it 3 to 5 times for several days until the full recovery from injury.
- This remedy if very effective in treating sprain in back, shoulder and neck.
5.) Epsom Salt as a Natural Remedy for Sprain Treatment
Epsom salt is another perfect remedy to treat sprain naturally and fast. The magnesium sulfate present in epsom salt is a powerful compound which helps soothe sore muscles and relaxes nerves. You can buy epsom salt easily from your local market.
Directions to Use Epsom Salt:
- Add 1 cup of Epsom salt in a warm water bath.
- Dissolve the salt completely.
- Soak your sprained ankle or wrist in the solution for half an hour.
- Repeat this twice daily for 3-4 days.
6.) Arnica as a Remedy for Sprain Treatment
Arnica is a popular herb which is used to strengthen muscles and joint. Its anti-inflammatory qualities helps minimize inflammation, pain, and swelling. It also prevents bruising in the injured area by promoting blood circulation. Here is the method to use it.
Directions to Use Arnica:
- Take some Arnica essential oil in your palm and gently massage the affected area.
- Wrap a bandage on the area and leave it for 3-4 hours.
- Repeat this process once daily until the injury heals completely.
- You can also use Arnica balm or ointment as a cream and apply it 2-3 times daily for several days.
7.) Castor Oil as a Remedy for Sprain Treatment
Castor oil is another remedy for treating twisted or wrenched ligaments. It helps reducing pain and inflammation of sprains. Ricinoleic acid present in the castor oil is known for fine anti inflammatory qualities.
Directions to Use Castor Oil:
- Take a cotton cloth and fold it to make a pad.
- Dip the pad in the bowl containing castor oil.
- Place the pad on the sprained area and cover it with a plastic wrap.
- Place a ho water bag or bottle over the castor oil pad for 20-30 minutes.
- Remove the pad and massage the remaining oil on the skin.
8.) Turmeric as a Remedy for Sprain Treatment
Turmeric is not only a spice, its usages are beyond kitchen as well. It is a proven ancient herb to treat various body ailments. It has anti-inflammatory properties, which helps reduce pain caused due to sprain. It is among the most exploited ingredient for treating different body ailments.
Directions to Use Turmeric:
- Mix same amount of turmeric powder and limestone powder.
- Add water to this mixture to make a fine paste.
- Apply this paste on the affected area before going to bed. Heat the paste before application.
- Wrap it with a crepe or an elastic bandage.
- Leave it in overnight.
- Repeat this process for 2-3 days.
- It is very effective in treating pain in area such as legs and hands.
9.) Cabbage as a Home Remedy To Treat Sprain Naturally and Fast
Cabbage has anti-inflammatory properties which make it an excellent topical remedy for common sprains. It is used as a compress to reduce pain and swelling in sprain and fractured bones. Being rich in Vitamins, cabbage boosts healing process.
Directions to Use Cabbage:
- Take cabbage and remove the outer leaves.
- Wrap the cabbage leaves in a foil and heat it in a microwave to warm them
- Place the warm cabbage leaves on the affected area and cover it with a bandage.
- Leave it for an hour before removing.
- Repeat this process twice daily for several days.
10.) Onion as a Natural Remedy for Sprain Treatment
Being rich in anti-inflammatory properties make onion an effective remedy for treating sprained ankles, wrist and other joints. It is also quite useful for arthritis treatment. Onion helps alleviate pain, swelling and inflammation. Below are the methods.
Directions to Use Onion:
- Chop 1 onion into small pieces and wrap them in a cloth.
- Place the cloth on the affected area for a couple of hours.
- Repeat it several times a day
- Freeze a onion for about an hour and cut it into small pieces.
- Mix them with a fair amount of salt.
- Apply the mixture on the injury and cover it with a bandage.
- Change the compress in every 7 to 8 hours
- Repeat if needed.