Stomach flu or gastroenteritis is an infection of the gastrointestinal tract. This condition is also known as food poisoning. The infection is caused by the four viruses that are, Adenovirus, Rotavirus, Calicivirus, and Astrovirus. Though it can hit any age group, but children are more susceptible to it. It is contagious. It spread through the contact with the infected person or his belongings. The symptoms of the stomach flu appear in 48 hours after the exposure to the virus. Though it is not a serious problem, but still you need to take care of it. The following home remedies to treat stomach flu naturally will speed up the recovery and you will not find need not see the doctor.
Symptoms of Stomach Flu:
- Cramps and pain in the abdomen.
- Nausea and vomiting.
- A headache or sudden pain muscles.
- Inflammation in GI tract.
Household Remedies to Treat Stomach Flu Naturally:
1.) ACV to Treat Stomach Flu Naturally
Apple cider vinegar has proven helpful for treating symptoms of stomach flu. The remedy is enriched with pectin, a component that reduces the inflammation in the stomach. On the other hand, it’s acid nature fights back with the virus which leads stomach flu.
How to Use ACV?
- In a glass of water mix a T-spoon of ACV. Drink this solution regularly before the meal.
- If you don’t like its taste, then you can mix ACV with fruit juice, instead of water.
- Also, in a cup of warm water mix 1 tablespoon of honey and ACV. Drink this mixture after the short intervals until you get relief from stomach flu.
2.) Cinnamon to Treat Stomach Flu Naturally
Cinnamon has antibacterial and antiviral properties which fight back with the virus or bacteria causing stomach flu. Moreover, it is warm in nature, this quality is beneficial for treating pains, chills felt during stomach flu.
How to Use Cinnamon?
- In a one and a half cup of boiling water, mix a teaspoon of cinnamon powder.
- Let it steep for a while, then strain the water.
- Add a tablespoon of honey and drink it 3-4 times in a day for 48 hours.
3.) Ginger to Cure Stomach Flu Naturally
The natural anti-inflammatory property present in the ginger makes it one of the ideal remedy for stomach flu. Moreover, being antivirals it fights back with the virus causing such condition. It treats indigestion, bloating and reduces the frequency of watery stool which is common wich is a common symptom of stomach flu.
How to Use Ginger?
- In one and a half cup of water boil handful slices of the ginger.
- Let it steep for 10 minutes.
- Strain the water and drink it sip by sip.
- Also, you can chew a slice of ginger.
- Do this until you get encouraging results.
- P.S – People with high BP should avoid it.
4.) Lemon to treat Stomach Flu Naturally
The acid present in the lemon juice is advantageous for treating stomach flu. It kills the bacteria and virus which leads the infection. Also, it is a good source of Vitamin C and contain antibacterial properties which make the immune system stronger.
How to Use Lemon?
- In a glass of water mix 1-2 T-spoon of lemon juice.
- Drink this solution approximately half an hour before the meal.
- Drink the solution until you get a relief.
5.) Chamomile to Heal Stomach Flu Naturally
The herb is packed with the antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties, which are helpful for healing the symptoms of stomach flu.
How to Use Chamomile?
- In a cup of lukewarm water mix 2-3 teaspoons of dried chamomile flower.
- Steep the solution for a few minutes.
- Then, strain it. To soothe your taste buds, you can add lemon juice and honey in it
- Drink it 2-4 times a day for 3 days.
6.) Peppermint to Get Rid of Stomach Flu
How to Use Peppermint?
- In a cup of boiling water, add a teaspoon of dried peppermint leaves.
- Steep it for 8-10 minutes.
- Strain it and drink it.
- Drink it 4-5 times a day until you get relief from stomach flu symptoms.
7.) Garlic to Treat Stomach Flu Naturally
Another household remedy for stomach flu is garlic. It’s antibacterial and antimicrobial properties heal the flu and it helps to dispel the gas. The accumulation of the gas in the stomach leads to cramps and pain in abdomen and stomach.
How to Use Garlic?
- Chop garlic and mix its pieces with raw honey.
- Consume this mixture immediately.
- Consume it 3-4 times a day until you get relief from the infection.
8.) Banana to Treat Stomach Flu Naturally
Banana is a rich source of potassium and magnesium, which is good for the stomach. Eat ripe banana since it contains more potassium. It treats diarrhea and cramps in the abdomen as well.
How to Use Banana?
- Mix a mashed ripe banana with a spoon of tamarind pulp and pinch of salt.
- Consume this mixture 2-3 times a day until the infection is treated completely.
- Also, eating 1-2 bananas daily will solve your problem.
9.) Probiotic Yogurt to Aid the Infection
Probiotic yogurt contains good bacteria. The regular consumption of probiotic yogurt will build the good bacteria in your intestine. The good bacteria will treat the digestions and make your immune system stronger to fight back with the virus and bacteria which causes stomach flu.
Ways to Consume Probiotic Yogurt
- Eat 2-3 cups of probiotic yogurt.
- Alternatively, smoothie with banana or apple and honey will also be equally beneficial for you.
- To speed up the recovery drink it 2-3 times a day.
10.) Rice Water for Healthy Stomach
Rice water, treats the major symptoms of the stomach flu, which are stomach ache and diarrhea. It reduces the inflammation and alleviate the stomach pain and abdomen pain.
How to Make a Rice Water?
- In 6 cups of water boil one and a half cup of white rice until it is tender.
- Strain the water and leave it cool at room temperature.
- Add cinnamon powder and honey it. Sip it slowly.
- Drink it for a week.
11.) Clear Fluids to Treat Stomach Flu Naturally
During the stomach infection, the solid food that you eat is rejected which causes dehydration. Drink lukewarm water in small sips. You can also have ice chips, fresh vegetable juices, pulses that have thin consistency. However, avoid alcohol and caffeine.
12.) Salt to Treat Stomach Flu Naturally
Salt has sodium that is an electrolyte which keeps the body hydrated. It helps to cure vomiting and diarrhea. Add salt to your meals and beverages. However, mind the quantity.
Other Useful Tips to Treat Stomach Flu:
- Take a rest.
- Eat light food.
- Drink plenty of water and liquids.
- Avoid workouts.
- Avoid junk food.