This article is about Sunburn treatment at home. Do you spend most of the time outdoors or you have to spend most of your day outside? Or maybe be you are more vulnerable towards the sunlight and thus get attacked by sunburn. What ever may be the reason is, you need not worry. Sunburn effects vary from person to person, depending on different factors like amount of exposure to the sun and the type of skin one has. With sunburn, there is a risk of skin cancer as well. Here are some of the best home remedies for sunburn. In this article, you get to learn about sunburn and home remedies for sunburn.
Symptoms of Sunburn:
- The skin turns red.
- In some cases it might pain as well.
- Small blisters pop up on the affected area.
- Low blood pressure
Causes of Sunburn:
As the name suggests, sunburn is caused by prolong exposure to the sun. The harmful UV rays of the sun touch the skin of a person and cause sun burn by attacking the DNA of the person. The over production of melanin starts that further leads to many skin problems including sunburn.
Home Remedies for Sunburn Treatment:
Sunburn can be easily treated at home. You don’t have to go out to a doctor for the treatment. There are numbers of remedies that will help you cure your sunburn at home. They are simple to make and easy to apply. Here are some of the home remedies for sunburn:
1.) Cold Milk for Sunburn Treatment
Milk has soothing properties that make it one of the best remedies for sunburn. It helps with the swelling of the tissue. Just follow the simple steps and treat your sunburn:
- Take one cup of skim milk.
- Add the milk to four cups of water.
- Add one ice cube to it.
- Apply it on the face with the help of a clean piece of cloth.
- Leave it for half an hour.
- Now use a towel to pat dry your skin.
- Do it every four hours.
2.) Baking Soda for Sunburn Treatment
- Fill your bath tub with water.
- Now add a cup of baking soda to it.
- Soak yourself in the mixture and remain there for 30 minutes.
- When you are out, pat dry yourself with the help of a towel.
3.) Aloe Vera for Sunburn Treatment
Aloe Vera works as a key remedy for many of the skin problems. This quality makes it one of the most efficient home remedies for sunburn. It fights off redness and provide soothing effects to your skin. It also helps with the pain. If you have an Aloe Vera plant then you can treat your sunburn well. Here is the way to use it:
- Take an Aloe Vera leaf and extract the gel from it.
- Now keep that in the refrigerator for half an hour.
- After half an hour, apply it on the affected skin.
- Do it six times a day for best results.
4.) Honey for Sunburn Treatment
Honey treats your sunburn well. It provides moisture to the skin and also treats the damaged skin. It works as a natural peel off. It cures the swelling and redness. Apply the raw honey directly on the skin and allow it to dry for half an hour. It will work as a mask and will clean the skin. Or, what else you can do is add honey to the lukewarm water and drink it thrice a day. It will boost your immune system.
5.) Potato for Sunburn Treatment
Potato is one of the finest home remedies for sunburn. When applied, it fights of the redness and swelling. You can apply it on the sunburn parts by making a paste. Here is the method to use it:
- Make a thick paste of potato by blending it in a blender.
- Apply it on the affected areas and leave it for some time.
- Now take a shower.
- Follow this remedy on the daily basis.
6.) Oatmeal for Sunburn Treatment
Oatmeal is also great at treating sunburn. It has soothing properties and it doesn’t allow the skin to dry. You can use it in two different ways:
- Take a Bath – Take a bath with the oatmeal. Will the bath tub with water and add one cup of oatmeal to it. Soak yourself in the mixture for thirty minutes. When you come out of the tub, use a towel to pat dry yourself. Do not rub the towel. Follow it daily.
- Apply it – Cook a bowl of oatmeal. Allow it to cool completely. When it has cooled down completely, apply it on the sunburn. Leave it for one hour and wash it with cool water. Do it twice a day.
7.) Green Tea for Sunburn Treatment
Green tea is also one of the most beneficial home remedies for sunburn. Green tea has soothing properties that work best with inflammation and itchiness. Here is the method by which you can use it:
- Boil a cup of water.
- Take another cup and put some green tea leaves in it.
- Pour hot water on the tea leaves and cover it with something like a lid.
- Leave it for some time and then allow it to cool.
- When it is completely cooled down, apply it with the help of a cotton swab.
9.) Witch Hazel for Sunburn Treatment
Witch hazel is also a good remedy to be used when it comes to home remedies for sunburn. It has the soothing effects and using it is very easy. It has the chemical named ‘tannins’ which cure the skin directly. It repairs the damaged skin and reduces the swelling as well. It is obtained from the bark or the dried leaves. Use it in diluted form. What you have to do is:
- Take a bowl.
- Add three tablespoons of witch hazel to it.
- Now take a cotton swab and apply it on the affected area.
10.) Yogurt for Sunburn Treatment
Yogurt works as one of the most successful among the home remedies for sunburn. Yogurt helps with the redness f the sunburn. Take half cup of yogurt and apply it with your hand directly on the affected area. Leave it for some time and wash it for some time.
11.) Drink Water for Sunburn Treatment
Drink as much water as you can. Water boosts up your immunity system against the skin problems. It helps a lot with sunburn as well. Drink three liters a day and get rid of the sin problems. As the any other burn, in sunburn also skin becomes dry. Drink water and moisture your skin from inside.
12.) Avoid Soap for Sunburn Treatment
Avoid taking a soapy bath. Soap makes the skin dry. In sunburn, skin also gets dried up. So avoid using soapy water while taking a bath. Use the natural elements instead of soapy water. Natural elements like baking soda should be used. This home remedy is counted among the most useful remedies for sunburn.
13.) Vinegar for Sunburn Treatment
Vinegar is one of the most magical remedies for sunburn treatment. You have to use apple cider vinegar for the same. What you have to do is pour some apple cider vinegar in a spray bottle and spray it in the affected area. Leave it for some time and then take a shower. You will see the difference in one treatment only.
14.) Cucumber for Sunburn Treatment
You can also use cucumber to treat sunburn at home. It has cooling properties that cools effect and get rid of sunburn. What you have to do is:
- Take one chilled cucumber and add it to a blender to make a paste.
- Now apply it on the affected skin and leave for half an hour.
- Wash it with cool water.
15.) Cornstarch for Sunburn Treatment
You can also use cornstarch for sunburn treatment. What you have to do is take some cornstarch and add water to make a paste. When the paste is ready, apply it gently on the affected area. Leave it for some time and then wash off with cold water.