Swelling in the foot, ankle and leg is not a disorder rather a symptom of peripheral edema also known as oedema. Swelling is a result of the fluids which is accumulated in the lower part of the body. This condition is painful if it has been caused due to an injury. Lower body parts such legs, ankle and foot are more vulnerable to swelling because they hold the weight of the entire body. This type of swelling is common during pregnancy and old age. Although, peripheral edema is not a serious problem, but you need to treat it handily so that you do not experience the serious underlying issue because of it. And, what’s better than household remedies. These remedies are effective, under budget and most importantly they do not have any side effects. Read the article, to know about home remedies for swollen feet treatment.
Symptoms of Swollen Foot:
- Tender foot.
- Puffiness around the foot ankle.
- Inflammation and occasional pain in the foot.
Causes of Swollen Feet:
- Injury in the foot.
- Standing in one position for long hours.
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
- Antidepressants and steroids.
- Hormonal changes.
- A blood clot formed in the leg.
- Infection in the leg.
- Pelvic surgery
- Any organ failure.
Home Remedies for Swollen Feet:
1.) Warm Salty Water to Get Rid of Swollen Feet
It is one of the simplest and easiest home remedy for swollen feet. Warm water heals the swelling and salt treat the accumulation of the fluids.
How to Use Warm Salty Water to Get Rid of Swollen Feet?
- In a lukewarm water mix half teaspoon of salt.
- Soak your feet in the water for 10-15 minutes.
- It will reduce the swelling and pain in legs as well.
- For best result, you can mix any essential oil in the water as well.
2.) Cold Compress to Treat Swollen Feet
A cold compress or ice pack is a helpful remedy for foot edema. It reduces the inflammation of foot and does not let the fluids accumulate in the tissues of the foot.
How to Apply Cold Compress for Swollen Feet Treatment?
- Hold a cold compress or ice pack to the affected area for 8-10 minutes. Repeat it again until you get relief.
- If you do not have cold compress then you can wrap a few ice cubes in the washcloth and place it over the affected food. However, do not place ice directly.
- Alternatively, soak your foot in the cold water for 15-20 minutes. Do this 2-3 times a day.
3.) Coriander Seeds to Cure Foot Edema
Another home remedy which comes handy for treating swelling in feet is a coriander seed. It is packed with the anti-inflammatory property that reduces the pain, swelling, and inflammation of the feet. Moreover, the coriander seeds improve the blood circulation as well.
How to Use Coriander Seeds for Swollen Feet Treatment?
- In 2-liter of water, boil 100 grams of coriander seeds for 10 minutes.
- Then, cool the water at room temperature. However, it should be warm enough, to soak your feet.
- Soak your affected foot in the water for 10-15 minutes.
- Do this regularly until you get encouraging results.
4.) Massage with Mustard Oil to Treat Swollen Feet
Mustard oil massage is the most effective and cheap treatment for pain or swelling in any body part especially, in the legs.
How to Massage with Mustard Oil?
- Heat 5-7 tablespoons of mustard oil. Don’t heat it too much otherwise you will hurt your legs, the temperature should be tolerable.
- With your fingers or cotton ball apply the oil on the affected area.
- Then, gently massage the area with your fingers for 5-7 minutes.
- Massage helps to absorb the oil.
- Massage regularly 2 times a day to get rid of the swollen foot.
5.) Apple Cider Vinegar to Combat with Foot Swelling
ACV is known for its healing and inflammatory properties. Same properties come handy for treating swelling also. It heals the puffiness and pain caused due to swelling in the foot.
How to Use for Swollen Feet Treatment?
- In a bowl mix an equal amount of ACV and water. Soak a towel in the solution, wring out the excess water and place it over the affected foot. Do this regularly to get rid of swelling foot.
- Alternatively, add 2 tbsp of ACV in a glass of water and drink this regularly to heal the retention of the fluid in the foot.
6.) Cucumber as a Remedy for Swollen Feet
The green vegetable is enriched with antioxidants and high water intake. It absorbs the excessive fluid from the body and helps you to get rid of the swelling.
How to Use Cucumber for Swollen Feet Treatment?
- Put a fresh slice of cucumber over the swollen area.
- Leave it for 8-10 minutes. It will reduce the puffiness and the inflammation.
- Make sure the cucumber should be cold. It can be used as a substitute of cold compresses as well.
- Follow this remedy regularly to get rid of swelling the foot.
7.) Cabbage Leaves for Swollen Feet
Another vegetable which can heal your swollen foot is cabbage. It also absorb the excess fluid and keeps the swelling at the bay.
How to Use for Swollen Feet Treatment?
- Place a few leaves of cabbage over the swollen foot.
- To reduce the tenderness and pain cover the leaves with a cotton cloth.
- Leave it for 15-20 minutes then unwrap the cloth.
- Do this 2-3 times a day until you get relief from foot edema.
8.) Potato to Cure Swollen Foot
Potato can also help you to treat your foot swelling. Potato too absorbs the fluid, accumulated beneath the skin which leads swelling.
How to Use Potato for Swollen Feet Treatment?
- Place a slice of fresh potato on the swollen foot.
- Cover it with a clean cotton cloth. Leave it for 15-20 minutes and then unwrap it.
- Do this regularly to treat the swelling in the foot at home.
9.) Lemon Juice to Cure Swelling
Lemon juice can also be advantageous for treating swollen foot. It reduces the inflammation and the puffiness around the foot and ankle. Also, it absorbs the fluids which cause swelling in the foot.
How to Use Lemon Juice for Swollen Feet Treatment?
- Mix lemon juice in the hot water.
- Soak your legs in the water for 10 minutes.
- Also, you can drink lemon juice.
- Regularly drinking this juice once in a day will be helpful for treating foot edema.
10.) Garlic to Get Rid of Edema
Garlic too draws in the fluids which are accumulated under the skin because of certain reasons. Eat 1-2 cloves of garlic regularly to get rid of the puffiness, tenderness and inflammation around the foot and ankles. Alte5rnatively, use garlic oil for a foot massage to treat the swelling.
11.) Homemade Tonic for Swollen Feet
Tonic refers to a medicine. You won’t find this medicine at a drug store so you have to make it home. This a wonderful remedy for swollen feet. It cures the tenderness and inflammation. Also, it comes handy for leg pain as well.
How to Prepare a Homemade Tonic?
- Boil 500 ml of water.
- Add a teaspoon of sugar and fennel seeds in water.
- Let it steep for a while. Then strain the water and drink it.
12.) Vitamin E for Swollen Feet Treatment
Vitamin E reduces the swelling by absorbing the excessive fluid retention in the tissues. Regularly massage a swollen foot with warm Vitamin oil and eat foods rich with vitamin E. Potato, peanuts, olive oil, almonds etc are a rich source of vitamin E.
Lifestyle Change for Swollen Feet Treatment
1.) Take less Salt in Your Diet
If you are taking more salt in your diet then it can result in swollen feet. When you take too much salt, your body holds it and salt also helps to hold extra water in the body which result in swelling. If you are eating high amount of salt in your diet then you will see in addition of feet and ankles, your face and hand will be puffy when you are eating a high salt diet.
Most processed food like canned foods, frozen dinners and salad dressing, there are extremely high in salt so best is to buy fresh produced and meat from the nearest store and prepare them at home. But, you should be aware by buying a fresh meat from the shop as some fresh meat may be injected with salt and water. You can also do comparison of brand that contains less salt than others. Always keep this in mind that the dietary sodium intake should be between 1500 mg and 2300 mg per day depending upon the gender and size of a body.
2.) Weight Loss to Reduce Swelling
When you start gaining, your body also starts swelling. So, weight also contributes to swelling. Losing a weight can reduce swelling in your legs. Try to change your diet so you will eat more fruits, vegetables, lean meats and whole grains while slow down empty stomach calories. Diet change and increase in the exercise can speed up the process.
3.) Avoid Tight Clothing on Your Thigh
When you have tight clothing on your thigh then it can limit circulation. Therefore, it try to skip garter and other type of cloth that result in limit your blood circulation. Therefore, avoid tight cloths that may restrict the blood circulation.
4.) Try to Wear Compression Stocking
Wearing compression stocking can help you to decrease the fluid in your legs. Mainly it get wrap around your legs by giving you extra support which needs to keep the fluid from pooling on the particular area. You can easily buy compression stocking online, near your medical store and sometimes at your pharmacy.
5.) Go for Different Pair of Shoes
If you are suffering from swollen feet, you probably need a pair of shoes which help you in swollen feet treatment. Go for the shoes that grip your heel, and give you enough space to wiggle your toes and also have a good arch support. The best time to buy any footwear is afternoon as that time your feet will be swollen the most. So you can buy a pair of shoes that will completely fit for you even when you have swollen feet. Always remember, if you shoes are too tight then it can reduce your blood flow as well as it can cause other problem to your feet like light sprains.
6.) Go for Self Massage
Give massage to your body to improve the blood circulation. Just work on your legs by rubbing your feet towards the top of your body. You just have to give proper massage on your ankles and calves. Don’t rub too hard that it will cause pain so do it gently. This kind of massage will help you to reduce pain and fluid near the ankle area and feet.
Medical Treatment for Swollen Feet Treatment
1.) Schedule an Appointment
If you aren’t getting any relief from home remedies and lifestyle changes then don’t wait, just take the help of doctor. Best is to take appointment with your family physician. Your family physician will check the feet and legs properly and see if the swelling is caused by anything more serious.
2.) Talk to Doctor about Your Current Medication
Some medication can result in swollen feet. For example- medication for high blood pressure, antidepressants and hormone based bills can have the side effects. Steroid can also cause problem.
3.) Know the Causes of Swollen Feet
In many case, the swollen feet is caused by minor problem. However, it indicates some serious health issue so it important to discuss the possibilities with doctor. Some minor cause be like pregnancy or PMS might be the issue. It also cause when you do not move enough or may be when you are eating too much salty food.
More serious causes like cirrhosis, Kidney disease, kidney damage, congestive heart failure. If you are noticing the shortness of your breath and swollen foot is red or warm to touch then you need a immediately medical attention.
4.) Know What Test is for you
Your doctor will surely discuss all the problem you have related to your leg. She can also ask about the symptom you are feeling and you had. In addition, she can also do some diagnostic test to better discover about the condition you have. For example- she can do blood test or urinalysis, take X-rays, do an Doppler ultrasound exam of your legs or run an ECG.
5.) Ask About the Treatment
Mostly the treatment related to swollen feet will help the underlying problem, not a drug specifically targeted to swollen treatment. However some diuretic can help in bring down the fluid in your feet.
6.) Try Acupuncture
Acupuncture is an ancient healing technique that primarily originated from China that helps in get rid of swollen feet. In this process, fine placing needles into specific energy points within the skin and muscle which is a great method to reduce the pain and swelling that heals. Acupuncture swelling in the feet is not a commonly recommended treatment by mainstream medical professional. If you are not getting relief from any of the above treatment then you can go for acupuncture technique which has no side effects and very successful in curing the diseases and conditions. It is now practiced by many more mainstream professional and it is done by certified doctor in national certified commission for acupuncture and oriental medicine. As the people who are certified in acupuncture technique have passed the exam. So if you are not getting any relief from home remedies and lifestyle changes then you can go for acupuncture which is completely safe.
Tips to Treat Swollen Feet:
- Reduce salt intake.
- Walk regularly.
- Maintain healthy body weight.
- Exercise regularly especially leg exercise.
- Regularly follow aromatherapy.
- Choose bottoms (leggings, trousers, jeans) which are loose around a thigh area.
- While sleeping place a pillow under your foot to give a rest.
- Avoid smoking, alcohol and caffeinated drinks.
- Edema is a result of magnesium deficiency so make sure you consume a diet rich in magnesium.
- Consuming potassium rich foods such as banana, tomato juice, raisins, soybeans, kidney beans and white beans
- Cover your foot, especially during a climatic change.