This article deals with different home remedies for teeth whitening. Many of you may be regretting and missing the time when you used to smile, laugh, and giggle a lot with your sparkling white teeth, which always used to add more feathers to your cap. For many, these white sparkling teeth would have worked as a charm to impress someone. But today, you only have that smile, but that charm, those white shining teeth have disappeared and are replaced with dirty yellow and unimpressive teeth. Now, you have confined your smile to the wall of your lips and always try to hide your teeth behind them. You even avoid smiling, laughing or cracking jokes in public because of being self-conscious about the poor color of your teeth. Your teeth may gradually turn yellow, but you can seek professional help to remove the yellow shade of your teeth. However, it can be time consuming and expensive as you may need to go for a weekly session and that too for a long period. It can cost you a lot of money and can have some side effects as well. Other than this, you can restore your pearl like teeth with below listed natural home remedies for teeth whitening. But let us know about the causes responsible for yellow teeth.
Causes of Yellow Teeth:
- Poor Diet
- Poor Dental hygiene
- Smoking cigarettes
- Caffeinated drinks
- Tooth Trauma
- Some disease causes the discoloration of teeth.
- Treatment of a disease can cause teeth discoloration such as chemotherapy.
Home Remedies for Teeth Whitening:
1.) Lemon as a Natural Remedy for Teeth Whitening
Lemon is one of the easiest and most effective remedies for teeth whitening. Lemon has excellent anti-bacterial and healing properties. It keeps the teeth bacteria-free which may be responsible for the discoloration of teeth. Also, lemon is a powerful bleaching agent which helps in teeth whitening.
- Mix few drops of lemon juice with little bit of salt.
- Apply this mixture on your teeth completely and rub for a few minutes.
- Leave it for a few minutes more.
- Afterwards, rinse your mouth properly with water.
2.) Baking Soda as a Remedy for Teeth Whitening Fast
Baking soda is also known as sodium bicarbonate (scientific name). Being an abrasive in nature, it can be used as a scrubber for teeth whitening. It is an alkaline compound (opposite to acid compound), so it helps in balancing the pH level. As the baking soda neutralizes the acid formation in the mouth.
- Mix 1 tsp of baking soda with sufficient amount of lemon juice to make a paste.
- Wipe off your teeth with a tissue paper.
- Apply this paste on your teeth and leave it for a minute.
- After that, gently brush your teeth with a toothbrush.
- Rinse your mouth properly.
- Every day brushing with baking soda will help whiten your teeth.
- It is one of the best home remedies for teeth whitening.
3.) Hydrogen Peroxide as a Natural Remedy for Teeth Whitening Fast
Hydrogen peroxide is well known for its bleaching properties. Therefore, it is very useful turning your yellow teeth into white. It is also one of the best home remedies for teeth whitening.
- Gargle your mouth with hydrogen peroxide regularly.
- You can dilute the solution by mixing some water in it.
- Gargle for a few seconds and spit it out.
- Do not swallow.
- Alternatively, paste of baking soda and hydrogen peroxide can also be used for brushing.
4.) Salt as a Remedy for Teeth Whitening Treatment
Salt is another effective cleaning agent which helps in restoring the mineral lost from your teeth and helps removing paleness from them. Here is the method to do it.
- Rubbing a mixture of salt and baking soda everyday can work as great teeth cleanser.
- Other than that, Mix charcoal and salt together to brush your teeth with it every morning.
- Otherwise, simply use common salt instead of your regular toothpaste.
5.) Coconut Oil as a Remedy to Get Rid of Yellow Teeth
Coconut oil is also one of the most effective remedies for teeth whitening. Rinsing your mouth with coconut oil is a unique and a very old remedy. It is better known as an oil pulling remedy. The presence of lauric acid in coconut oil helps eliminate bacteria which are responsible for yellow teeth.
- Every morning before brushing your teeth, just take enough coconut oil in your mouth.
- Swish this oil around your mouth for 10 to 15 minutes.
- After swishing oil, spit it out and rinse with water.
- Then, brush your teeth with your regular toothpaste.
- Regularly swishing with coconut oil will help in teeth whitening faster.
6.) Strawberries to Get Whiter Teeth at Home
Vitamin C present in strawberries is useful in discouraging the accumulation of plaque which causes paleness of your teeth. Strawberries are acidic in nature due to the presence of malic acid, which helps in clearing stains from teeth. Here is the method to use it.
- Add 1 tsp baking soda in mashed strawberry pulp along with 1 tsp of sea salt.
- Wipe the extra saliva from your teeth with a tissue paper.
- Apply the mixture gently around your teeth and leave it for a few minutes.
- Rinse your mouth with water later on.
- Do this every night after eating.
7.) Use Straw for Teeth Whitening
Consuming tea, coffee, soda, alcohol and other beverages can be harmful for your teeth. Because all this drinks affects the enamel of the teeth. You can avoid this problem by reducing the intake of such drinks.
- Simply use a straw to consume these drinks.
- But, using straw for wine, tea or coffee can be quite weird. In that case, always remember to brush your teeth after consumption.
8.) Flossing To Get Whiter Teeth at Home
Although, you might be brushing your teeth twice a day and may still suffer from yellow teeth. In such condition flossing can be helpful. As we all keep munching every now and then, the food gets stuck between our teeth. Food stuck in between teeth attracts bacteria to feast on it, resulting in yellow teeth.
- Just floss your teeth 2-3 times a day to prevent your teeth from getting pale.
- Flossing will help to remove food stuck between teeth and also keep bacteria away, thus preventing bad breath and yellow teeth.
9.) Basil to Get Rid of Yellow Teeth
Basil is considered to have bleaching properties and is also very helpful in getting rid of pyorrhea, which cause bad breath. Basil is also one of the best home remedies for teeth whitening.
- Make a paste by mixing basil leaves with sufficient mustard oil.
- Use this paste 2 times a day to clean your teeth.
- Alternatively, dry some basil leaves in the sun for a few hours. Grind these dried leaves into powdered form.
- Add this basil powder to your regular toothpaste.
- Brushing your teeth with this mixture will help whiten teeth faster and naturally.
10.) Activated Charcoal as a Remedy for Teeth Whitening
Although charcoal is black in color, but it is quite effective in teeth whitening. An activated charcoal have many tiny pores which helps absorb yellowness from teeth and restore whiteness. Here is the method to use it.
- Add activated charcoal in your toothpaste and gently brush your teeth with it.
- Brushing with charcoal 2 times a day will prevent your teeth from getting pale.
- Rinse your mouth properly after brushing.