In this article we will discuss different home remedies for toenail fungus. Toenail fungus is also known as onychomcosis. It is a very common problem that most people suffer once in a while. It is a fungal infection that spreads through cracks or cuts in the nail or skin. As the infection goes deeper, it makes the nail to change color and make it thick or crumbled at the edge. This condition is mainly caused by moisture present in dark and closed environment such as inside shoe, socks. is ideal place for the fungus to survive and multiply. Because of this reason, it mostly affects toenails. If it is left untreated, it can spread to other nail as well. This condition can be mild to severe. If your nail fungus is paining, and causing thick nails, cracks and making them brittle, you can try below listed home remedies for toenail fungus and get rid of this infection.
Even though the treatment cure the condition, nail fungus can come back again. So, it is necessary to prevent it from infecting back. In order to do that, you must know the causes which are responsible for infection.
Causes of Toenail Fungus:
- Wearing tight-fitting shoes for a long period.
- Moist fingers and toes for long period.
- Injured nail
- Swimming in public pool.
- Poor hygiene
- Wearing artificial nail
- Athlete’s foot
- Weak immune system
Now, you Know the causes, but you must also know the symptoms so that you can identify the signs early and prevent the infection in the first stage only.
Symptoms of Toenail Fungus:
- Yellow or pale color of nail.
- Thick nail
- Brittle nail
- Crack or cut in the nail.
- Smelly infected nail
- Itching around the toenail.
- Irritation around toenail.
- Loss of nail
Home Remedies for Toenail Fungus Treatment
1.) Tea Tree Oil and Olive Oil as a Remedy for Toenail Fungus Treatment
Tea tree oil is known to be a great anti bacterial agent. Tea tree oil helps to put a stop on the fungus from infecting and growing in numbers. On the other hand, olive oil helps to alleviate the tough skin caused due to toenail fungus. It is also a powerful antiseptic agent. Tea tree oil is alos effective in treating eczema, warts, fungus and many other skin ailment.
- Mix same amount of both tea tree oil and olive oil.
- Clean the infected area properly and pat dry it.
- Apply the mixture on the affected area.
- The olive oil helps tea tree oil by making the affected skin surface softer, which lets the tea tree oil get absorbed easily.
- Apply this mixture 2 times in a day to get rid of toenail fungus.
- It is one of the best home remedies for toenail fungus.
2.) Baking Soda to Get Rid of Toenail Fungus Fast and Naturally
The Baking soda (which we exploit in our kitchen a lot) is one of the most effective remedies for toenail fungus. Baking soda aids lessen the irrepressible itching and burning sensation in your toenail, also on your soles and heels. It is also known for excellent antibacterial, antiseptic, anti-fungal and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Mix an adequate amount of baking soda and water together to make a glue like paste.
- Apply the paste gently on the affected area without rupturing the nail.
- Leave for a few minutes.
- After some time, rinse the affected area properly and pat dry it.
- Excessive use of baking soda should be avoided.
3.) Garlic as a Remedy To Treat Toenail Fungus Naturally
Garlic is another one of the most effective home remedies for toenail fungus treatment. Garlic is considered to have fine antibacterial properties. It helps effectively to get rid of toenail fungus faster. You can use the garlic remedy by both, internally and externally method. It also useful for boosting immunity.
- Squeeze out some garlic juice and dip a cotton ball in it.
- Dab the infected area with the soaked cotton ball.
- Take some garlic clove and add a few drops of olive oil in.
- Crush and mix them well to make a fine paste.
- Apply this paste on the affected area for at least 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, wash the area with soap in lukewarm water. Pat it dry well.
- Go on with this remedy for a few weeks.
- For precaution, continue this remedy for longer even after condition heals.
4.) Cornstarch to Get Rid of Toenail Fungus at Home
Another one of the most useful home remedies for toenail fungus is cornstarch. It is an ideal deodorizer as it reduce the odd smell caused due to toenail fungus. Cornstarch is also known as cornflour. It is a proven remedy to get rid of toenail fungus. Cornstarch helps in preventing fungus from breeding and multiplying in numbers as it has moisture-absorbing qualities. It also soothes skin very well.
- Roast the cornstarch till it turns to brown color.
- Apply this roasted cornstarch on your feet and toenail to prevent and remove toenail fungus.
- Otherwise, make a fine paste by mixing a bit of garlic with a few drops of olive oil.
- Apply this paste on your toes and toenail.
- Leave the paste for half an hour.
- After half an hour, rinse and clean the affected area with warm soapy water. Pat your feet dry.
- Continue the same for a few weeks even after condition is healed completely (for a precaution).
5.) Tea as a Toenail Fungus Cure
Tea is known to have tannic acid which is very helpful for soothing the skin. Tea also prevents feet from getting moist which discourages fungus from breeding and multiplying. Also, being an anti fungal agent, tea helps to reduce the fungal activities. Here is the method to use it.
- Put 5 – 10 black tea bags in a tub filled with warm water.
- The tub must be big enough to immerse feet easily.
- Rest your feet in the tub for 20 minutes (till the water remains warm).
- Subsequently, rinse and clean your feet with lukewarm water and pat them dry properly.
6.) Yogurt as a Remedy to Treat Toenail Fungus Fast and Naturally
Yogurt is also well-known for containing friendly bacteria which are very essential for a lot of health benefits. Yogurt contains live bacteria which are known as acidophilus. Acidophilus is a very effective bacteria for treating toenail fungus fast. These healthy and friendly bacteria keeps a check on the fungus from growing in numbers. Hence, speeding up the healing process. Here is the method to use yogurt to treat fungus.
- Take some fresh yogurt in a bowl, with a cotton ball or cotton swab apply the yogurt on the affected toenail.
- Wash and pat dry the affected skin before you apply the yogurt on it.
- Throw the residue properly.
- It is also among the best home remedies for toenail fungus.
7.) Lavender as a Toenail Fungus Cure
Lavender oil is another known remedy to have the anti-fungal properties. It prevents and helps to get rid of the toenail fungus fast. Its pleasing smell helps in treating unpleasant odor. Here is the method to use lavender oil to cure toenail fungus.
- Add a few drops of lavender oil in 1 tsp of any mild skin lotion you use.
- Rub down it to the infected toe 2 to 3 times daily to treat toenail fungus faster.
- Instead of lotion you can use any carrier oil with lavender oil.
8.) Keep Your Feet Dry to Treat Toenail Fungus
As we discussed toenail fungus is caused by bacteria. These bacteria prefer a damp environment to thrive, therefore it is essential to keep the feet dry all day long. If you keep your feet dry and clean, it will help in discouraging bacteria to multiply. For this, take the below listed precautions.
- After taking bath, do remember to dry your feet properly. You can dry your feet with a clean and dry towel, tissue.
- Clean especially between the toes.
- You can use hair dryer also to dry the feet.
- Dry feet will discourage fungus from multiplying and further worsening the situation.
9.) Clean Socks to Prevent Toenail Fungus
Like damp environment other factor responsible for bacterial growth is sweating. Sweating too provide a comfortable environment for bacteria to thrive. Follow below listed measures to prevent bacterial growth in your toenail.
- Always wear socks which does not clutch moisture and make your feet to produce sweat.
- Prefer socks, which suck up sweat and keep your feet breathing fresh and free from sweat.
- When suffering from toenail fungus, keep changing your socks every 3-4 hour or whenever you feel sweaty in your feet.
- Avoid wearing shoes during toenail fungus. In its place, wear sandals to prevent toenail fungus from spreading.
10.) Leather Shoes to Treat Toenail Fungus
You should avoid wearing shoes completely if you have toenail fungus. But if it is unavoidable, prefer wearing leather shoes. Leather allows the air to pass with no trouble. Whereas shoes made up of plastic or rubber, prevent the air from moving freely. This tends to create a moist environment inside your shoes, resulting in sweaty feet, encouraging fungal infection.
- Try to avoid wearing shoes for a long time and also tie them a little loose.
- In addition, keep 2-3 pair of shoes with you to wear them alternatively.
- Wearing shoes alternatively will give them time to dry and prevent toenail fungus.