Do you feel that you have a sore throat? Can you see the inflammation occurring in it? At the back of your throat, there are two lymph nodes located on every side that is known as tonsils. They work as a defense mechanism, which helps in preventing the infection from entering in your body. When these tonsils become infected, then that condition is known as tonsillitis. It may occur at any age. But, it is a very common problem for children from preschool age till their mid teenage. You can easily fight from such problems and recover soon by using the home remedies for tonsillitis treatment.
Causes of Tonsillitis:
- Influenza virus
- Parainfluenza virus
- Herpes Simplex virus
- Epstein-Barr virus
Symptoms of Tonsillitis:
- Sore throat
- Redness in the color of tonsils.
- White and yellow coating occurs on tonsils.
- Painful blisters and occurrence of the mouth ulcers in the throat.
- Losing vocals
- The sensation of pain in the ears.
- Loss of appetite
- Bad breath
- Difficulty in swallowing
In children, you may find the symptoms like:
- Abdominal pain
Home Remedies for Tonsillitis Treatment:
Well, to recover soon from any kind of ailment, home remedies are always considered as the best cure. Here are few home remedies for tonsillitis:
1.) Salt Water to Treat Tonsillitis
This is one of the most effective home remedies for tonsillitis. Start gargling with warm salt water to cure tonsillitis. The warm water gives soothing effect in the painful throat. The salt present in it helps in preventing the bacterial and viral attack. It even helps in reducing the inflammation by providing the ease and instant relief in the painful throat. To prepare this remedy, follow these steps:
- Take one cup of lukewarm water and add one spoon of table salt in it.
- Now, start gargling with the solution. Also, don’t swallow it while gargling.
- Spit the water out of your mouth, once you are finished with gargling.
- Repeat this process at least 3-4 times in a day to recover soon.
- It is one of the best home remedies to treat tonsillitis naturally.
2.) Basil for Tonsillitis Treatment
It is another one of the best home remedies for tonsillitis. Basil contains antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties that help in fighting the virus and curing the inflammation caused due to tonsillitis. Also, it has amazing healing and soothing qualities that aid in reducing the pain and speed up the healing process. To prepare this remedy, follow these steps:
- Take one or one and a half cups of water and add 10-12 basil leaves in it.
- Boil this solution for 10 minutes.
- Strain it and add one lemon juice in this solution. You may even add honey to it to sweeten the drink.
- Drink this solution at least for 2-3 days in a week.
3.) Cinnamon to Prevent Tonsillitis
It contains antimicrobial and anti-inflammation properties. Hence, it can easily inhibit the growth of unwanted micro-organisms and bacteria in the tonsils and can also reduce the pain and swelling. To prepare this remedy, follow these steps:
- Take one glass of hot water and add one teaspoon of cinnamon powder in it.
- Now, mix two tablespoons of honey in this solution.
- Sip it at a slower rate when it is still warm.
- Drink this solution at least 2-3 times in a day.
- It is one of the most effective home remedies for tonsillitis.
4.) Lemon to Treat Tonsillitis
Lemon contains antiviral and anti-inflammation properties. Also, it is high in vitamin C nutrient that helps in improving the resistance of our body from various infections. To prepare this remedy, follow these steps:
- Take a glass of lukewarm water and add the juice of one lemon in it. Also, add a pinch of salt and one tablespoon of honey to the mixture. Drink it at least twice in a day.
- You may also sprinkle a little amount of pepper and salt on the slice of lemon. You can suck it, at least, three times in a day. It helps in pulling out the phlegm out of your throat.
5.) Slippery Elm to Get Rid of Tonsillitis
It contains a gel-like substance known as mucilage that helps in easing the soreness, pain, and inflammation in the throat. It even provides the soothing effect in the throat. It even heals the inflamed tissues. To prepare this remedy, follow these steps:
- Take two cups of water and boil it. Now, add one tablespoon of the inner bark of slippery elm in the boiling water. Steep it in the solution for five minutes. Now, strain this solution and drink it twice in a day.
- You can even add three teaspoons of the powdered bark of slippery elm with one tablespoon of cayenne pepper powder and 2 tablespoons of honey. Also, add four teaspoons of warm water in this solution and mix it well. Consume one tablespoon of this solution at regular intervals at least for 2-3 days.
6.) Turmeric to Avoid Tonsillitis
It contains strong anti-inflammatory and antiseptic qualities, which makes it one of the best herbal products to fight infections like tonsillitis. To prepare this remedy, follow these steps:
- Take a glass of hot water and mix one teaspoon of turmeric powder in it. You can even add salt to this solution. Gargle with this solution many times in a day, especially before going to bed at night. It will help you in reducing the pain, inflammation, and soreness of your throat.
- Alternatively, take a glass of warm milk and add one teaspoon of turmeric powder and pinch of ground pepper in it. Drink it 2-3 days in a week to speed up the healing process.
7.) Mint to Treat Tonsillitis
It contains antimicrobial property that helps in killing various bacteria and viruses that cause infections. Also, the menthol present inside the mint provides the soothing effect on irritation of the mucous membrane. To prepare this remedy, follow these steps:
- Boil water and add a handful of mint while boiling it. Allow this solution to boil until this it gets reduced to the half quantity. Strain this solution and add one teaspoon of honey in it. Drink it 2-3 times a day for few weeks.
- You may also gargle with mouthwash having mint flavor several times in a day to avoid tonsillitis.
8.) Fenugreek for Tonsillitis Treatment
It has antimicrobial properties that help in killing various bacteria responsible for the occurrence of tonsillitis. It also has the anti-inflammatory property that provides instant relief for pain and inflammation.
9.) Carom Seeds to Cure Tonsillitis
These seeds contain the high nutritional value that helps in fighting various symptoms of tonsillitis. They are rich antioxidants that help in boosting our immunity system to fight various infections. To prepare this remedy, follow these steps:
- Take a pan and heat 1/4th teaspoon of carom seeds until they get brown in color.
- Now, add a pinch of turmeric in it. Stir it completely and now add a cup of warm milk in this mixture.
- Mix all the ingredients well.
- Now stop heating the mixture.
- Drink this twice in a day for 2-3 days in a week.
10.) Figs for Tonsillitis Treatment
It is one of the most effective home remedies for tonsillitis as it contain a large amount of mucilage content in it. Figs can reduce the pain and soreness in the throat easily caused due to tonsillitis. So, it is good to go for figs in order to treat tonsillitis.
If you are suffering from tonsillitis then it is important to prevent various things.
Food to Avoid during Tonsillitis:
- Fried and Oily Food
- Warm water enema is recommended for the people suffering from chronic tonsillitis.
- Avoid smoking at any cost, if you are suffering from tonsillitis. The tar present inside the cigarette aggravates inflammation in tonsils. So, don’t smoke at the time of tonsillitis.
Tips to Prevent Tonsillitis:
Here are few preventive methods that you may follow to prevent tonsillitis. Follow them sincerely to prevent tonsillitis. Remember the germs that cause tonsillitis is contagious. Therefore, the best method to prevent tonsillitis is to practice good hygiene.
- It is really important to wash your hands at frequent intervals. Always wash your hand after using the toilet and before eating.
- Always try to avoid sharing food, water bottles, drinking glasses or utensils with an infected person.
- Once you are diagnosed with tonsillitis then simply replace your toothbrush.
Few Preventive Measures for Children:
Here are few preventive methods that you may follow to prevent your child from spreading the infection to others.
- Keep your child at home when he/she is ill.
- Take advice of the doctor before sending your child to school.
- Teach your child to carry a handkerchief with him/her. Tell them to sneeze into a tissue or a hankie.
- Always teach your child to maintain a proper hygiene and always wash your hands after sneezing or coughing.